HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2 Devils vs. #7 Flyers Playoff Discussion

Old
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

vCash: 500
Looks like Game 1 might be Wednesday.

http://twitter.com/AnthonySan37

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:21 PM
NJ-Trap

I'll make a few minor predictions for ***** and giggles.

The Flyers are going to make life very uncomfortable for Brodeur. They will be all over his crease knocking him down all series long. Everyone on here will be up in arms over our defensemen not standing up for Brodeur...just like last year's opening round.

Pronger is also going to dish out some nasty hits, we will see around 37,000 commments on how dirty he is and complain about how the refs never call anything on him because he's a star.

It doesn't matter if Boucher or a box of Cheerios in net. The Flyers are going to hold the Devils to the outside and NJ is going to get very few quality scoring chances.

The Flyers penalty kill can be absolutely amazing at times. They are incredibly aggressive. Our pointmen will struggle to keep the puck in the zone and will end up making rushed mistakes.

It doesn't matter how good Brodeur plays, if the Devils lose, everyone will label him as an over the hill choker (not that some haven't already labeled him as such). You can shrug that off as if it doesn't matte what they think, but that crap is still annoying to wade through on these boards.

NJ-Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
This will be a battle. I'm trying to think what lines Lemaire will try against Philly. At least by now they are semi comfortable with each other.

Parise - Zajac - Zubrus
Kovalchuk - Elias - Langebrunner

Zajac and Kovalchuk have played so well together though.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Trap View Post
I'll make a few minor predictions for ***** and giggles.

The Flyers are going to make life very uncomfortable for Brodeur. They will be all over his crease knocking him down all series long. Everyone on here will be up in arms over our defensemen not standing up for Brodeur...just like last year's opening round.

Pronger is also going to dish out some nasty hits, we will see around 37,000 commments on how dirty he is and complain about how the refs never call anything on him because he's a star.

It doesn't matter if Boucher or a box of Cheerios in net. The Flyers are going to hold the Devils to the outside and NJ is going to get very few quality scoring chances.

The Flyers penalty kill can be absolutely amazing at times. They are incredibly aggressive. Our pointmen will struggle to keep the puck in the zone and will end up making rushed mistakes.

It doesn't matter how good Brodeur plays, if the Devils lose, everyone will label him as an over the hill choker (not that some haven't already labeled him as such). You can shrug that off as if it doesn't matte what they think, but that crap is still annoying to wade through on these boards.
Pretty much

Old
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Just shaved, I'm ready to rock the playoff beard!

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
People who don't think Pronger is a factor are clueless. He made Gaborik invisible today and he's a force in the postseason.
I don't care about being called clueless, Pronger has many weaknesses nevertheless. Gaborik has been mediocre post-Olympics, many Ds made him just as invisible.

We'll see, I guess. Sometimes I hope I'm wrong, but I hope I'm right on this one.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
I don't care about being called clueless, Pronger has many weaknesses nevertheless. Gaborik has been mediocre post-Olympics, many Ds made him just as invisible.

We'll see, I guess. Sometimes I hope I'm wrong, but I hope I'm right on this one.
What are his weaknesses may I ask?

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
PS - I'm of the contrarian opinion that you want a challenge out of the gate; adversity will make you stronger moving forward in the postseason. The idea that an "easy" series will set you up better physically down the road has been disproven as often as proven through the years.
From the Devil fan POV, the cup in 2000 came after a cakewalk against Florida in the opening round, and 2003 saw two gimme series with matchups against Boston and then Tampa Bay.

I don't know the statistics, but I'm guessing that teams that win 6 or 7 game series in the opening round have a tougher time later in the tournament.

That said, I think the Devils PP is clicking, Marty is on his game and the D is playing fantastic. If they capitalize on early PPs against Philly in the first 2 games in Newark this could be a quick series.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Hollywood163

Quote:
People who don't think Pronger is a factor are clueless. He made Gaborik invisible today and he's a force in the postseason.
The Rangers are a one trick pony with Gaborik. Do the Flyers play Pronger against Parise or Kovy?

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
severian

His weakness is his wife's *****ing. The Devils are going to fly her down and sit her next to the Flyer bench with a Newark crip sitting next to her. She's going to whine about how unsafe Newark is and beg him to take her back to Anaheim.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Hollywood163

Quote:
From the Devil fan POV, the cup in 2000 came after a cakewalk against Florida in the opening round, and 2003 saw two gimme series with matchups against Boston and then Tampa Bay.

I don't know the statistics, but I'm guessing that teams that win 6 or 7 game series in the opening round have a tougher time later in the tournament.

That said, I think the Devils PP is clicking, Marty is on his game and the D is playing fantastic. If they capitalize on early PPs against Philly in the first 2 games in Newark this could be a quick series.
Agreed. I still say the Devils lost the 2001 cup in the first round when they Let Tampa Go to 6 games.

Old
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

The Flyers have a strong defense core.

I worry about Pronger because last year he wasn't great in the regular season and stepped it up for the playoffs.

Old
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
Agreed. I still say the Devils lost the 2001 cup in the first round when they Let Tampa Go to 6 games.
It was Carolina. And we lost the 2001 finals because Colin White pinched at the wrong time and then Sean O'Donnell took his 8th terrible penalty. Had nothing to do with round 1.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

At first I was like

But now I'm like

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
What are his weaknesses may I ask?
Main thing is that he is slow in his skating. He can be a master of slowing forwards down to his own tempo with his very physical play, and that's when he can be very dominating. If Parise and/or Kovy can ignore his nastiness and just keep skating it is only a matter of time until he will be outskated and out of position.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
guyincognito

not crazy about this, but it's set, so oh well. shortchanging Pronger is goofy, very good chance Pronger removes either Kovalchuk or Parise from the series. and I'm not talking about him elbowing them in the head.

on the plus side, though, with Kovalchuk, he can't play both lines or he'll die trying

I think this is slightly better than a coin flip for us. when the Flyers aren't being emo, they are a good team and at their peak, are the best team of the 6-7-8-9 crowd. and that's with Boucher.

with Montreal being sent to the firing squad, our bracket is Philly and then Buffalo/Pens/Sens. cannot play Boston until the ECF... so, we won't.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

The keys to this series will be scoring from guys like Rolston, Langenbrunner, and Clarkson

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Hollywood163

Anyone think Carcillo will try to take a page out of Averys book and F with Marty?

Old
04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

exactly, ILIVM. EGGGGGGZACTLY

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
Anyone think Carcillo will try to take a page out of Averys book and F with Marty?
Will he do the talking that Avery does to Brodeur? No, I don't think that is really his game. Will he try to bump Marty? Yes, he will.

Old
04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Game Breaker

Send a message via AIM to Game Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
At first I was like

But now I'm like
Now you're available on video and dvd?

"...then they take their retard 7 foot Chara, who sticks out like a ***** in sweatpants..."- Devs4thCup
Game Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

No, im Kirsten Dunst.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

I was told game one would most likely be on Wenzdee. Not official at all though. There was a Devils scout at the game, but even he had no idea when it would be.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
I was told game one would most likely be on Wenzdee. Not official at all though. There was a Devils scout at the game, but even he had no idea when it would be.
I don't know if this site has any credibility or whether it's assumption or truth, but it says Wednesday.....

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...wednesday.html

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
We need revenge for Annsi.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote