HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Prospects for Prospects?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2004, 01:11 PM
AgentOrange*

vCash: 500
Prospects for Prospects?

I really dont understand some of these purposals that are strictly or primarily "prospects" or "young players" in exchange for "prospects" or "young players".

Unless a team is trading one of their surplus dman for one of another teams surplus forwards (opposite needs) then

I thought most teams traded prospects or "young players" for proven talent to excelerate the teams process or traded proven talent for prospects to rebuild.

For example:

Who would trade Heatley for Nash? What exactly does that accomplish for either team?

Last edited by AgentOrange*: 05-18-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Old
05-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Poutine

nash can't pasS, heatley got a history of injuries

Now you understand?

Old
05-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutine
nash can't pasS, heatley got a history of injuries

Now you understand?
:troll:

I think I also speak for the Jackets fans.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:37 PM
AgentOrange*

Ok, maybe that was a bad example.

Nash is how old? 19? I think he'll learn how to pass eventually. He scored how many goals last year?

Heatley has a history of injuries?? Aside from the car incident, what other injuries?

Point is: why would you trade a prospect that is similiar to another prospect?

Old
05-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
Point is: why would you trade a prospect that is similiar to another prospect?
Heatley and Nash are no longer prospects. They are young players, but not prospects or rookies anymore.

Old
05-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Heatley and Nash are no longer prospects. They are young players, but not prospects or rookies anymore.

so true

Old
05-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Poutine

Rick Nash, LW 80 41 16 57 -35 87 17:37 19 10 0 0 269 15.2

nice shot %, but -35......... got to be the worst in the league

16 A :lol

Old
05-18-2004, 02:02 PM
AgentOrange*

Ok, not theyre not prospects anymore but they are similiar young star players so why trade them for eachother.

Nash's -35 was probably a result of being on the Jackets.

16 A, there are several other players probably that started out as pure goal scorers until they racked up the assists also.

Either way, my question wasnt answered. Why would you trade them (or similiar players) for eachother?

Old
05-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutine
Rick Nash, LW 80 41 16 57 -35 87 17:37 19 10 0 0 269 15.2

nice shot %, but -35......... got to be the worst in the league

16 A :lol
Actually, Rico Fata was a -48.

Measuring a players ability based on +/- is totally ignorant. CLM is still struggling to compete. Nash did much of his scoring on the PP (which isn't included in +/-) and CLM was a big - as a team, neither one of which help Nash's stats. Put Nash on a good team, and his +/- improves dramatically.

Same thing ripping him on the assists. Not even sure who Nash would have passed to that could convert a nice feed.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Either way, my question wasnt answered. Why would you trade them (or similiar players) for eachother?
That's why you very rarily see teams trade similiar type of players. If it does happen, it's usually related to personality/$ (Berard for Redden as an example).

The only way the type of trade goes down you're talking about is if a team has a SUBSTANTIALLY different talent evaluation than another team. Example: if the ATL GM thinks that Zherdev is the best thing since sliced bread, he might try and work something out like that.

Overall though - that type of trade is a GM killer. No GM wants to open himself up to the exposure of having a traded player explode after he moves him, and have the acquired flop. It's bad enough in a regular trade, but when you trade very similiar assets, it really gets hairy.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:15 PM
AgentOrange*

That is why I dont understand alot of the trade purposals alot of posters are starting in this trade forum.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
That is why I dont understand alot of the trade purposals alot of posters are starting in this trade forum.
This is all for fun (sort of). None of these trades are real. A very small percent (if any) actualy happen. This is just a bunch of fan boy speculation.

Some people try to post realistic trades. Some just try to gauge the pure value of players. Others instigate.

But, its nothing but discussion. No reality.

Using the example here of Nash for Heatley. Obviously it is not a realistic proposal. It'll never happen. I just think its a way to compare players.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
You just have to understand that many posters experience starts and stops with EA Sports on Playstation.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:31 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
You just have to understand that many posters experience starts and stops with EA Sports on Playstation.
On NHL 2004, the COMPUTER offered me Heatley and a 3rd rounder for JP Dumont (whom I got for Derrik Walser and Espen Knutsen) and a 1st!!!

Old
05-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Using the example here of Nash for Heatley. Obviously it is not a realistic proposal. It'll never happen. I just think its a way to compare players.
Yes! Indeed. Neither the Blue Jackets nor the Thrashers will trade their respective superstar in the near future.

Old
05-18-2004, 02:40 PM
AgentOrange*

Kallio,

I know alot of these purposals are for fun (bordom) etc etc but if I'm not trying to make up purposals to improve my favourite team etc etc then I dont need to know the value of a certain player etc etc. Wouldnt it make more sense just to make comparision threads about players then?

The realistic trading I enjoy reading.

Beukeboom, probably! I use to like to simulating trades on EA SPORTS NHL HOCKEY when I was extremely bored after playing it!

Old
05-18-2004, 02:58 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Kallio,

I know alot of these purposals are for fun (bordom) etc etc but if I'm not trying to make up purposals to improve my favourite team etc etc then I dont need to know the value of a certain player etc etc. Wouldnt it make more sense just to make comparision threads about players then?

The realistic trading I enjoy reading.

Beukeboom, probably! I use to like to simulating trades on EA SPORTS NHL HOCKEY when I was extremely bored after playing it!
Hey. I'm with you. I only have so much patience for debates about player X being better than player Y. I'm more intrigued when people can pull together trades that actually make sense.
But, you take the good with the bad.
On the plus side, there are bananas.

Old
05-18-2004, 03:14 PM
AgentOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Hey. I'm with you. I only have so much patience for debates about player X being better than player Y. I'm more intrigued when people can pull together trades that actually make sense.
But, you take the good with the bad.
On the plus side, there are bananas.
I'll trade you the for the :gman:

Old
05-18-2004, 03:34 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
I'll trade you the for the :gman:

No deal.
I think banana essentially equals g-man, but I like banana's potential, despite its small stature. Ron Hainsey might even it out a little more to my liking though.

Closed Thread