HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I once again Salute our MoneyPuck Overlord

Old
10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
Look, Ehrhoff made a choice. He could have signed for $4.6M, if Bieksa's number was the cap and played for a guaranteed contender.

He chose not to. I'm not sure how this is MG's fault. Ehrhoff had other priorities obviously and you can't blame him for taking his payday considering the ridiculous total sum he got.

I think it's naive to assume that we could have gotten Ehrhoff for even $5M per. We really have no idea.

Lots of people are blaming Gillis under the assumption that he stiffed Ehrhoff for a paltry $400k. But it works the other way - why couldn't Ehrhoff give up $400k to stay?

Plus, right now we sure miss his single empty net goal and 2 PP points.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Look, Ehrhoff made a choice. He could have signed for $4.6M, if Bieksa's number was the cap and played for a guaranteed contender.

He chose not to. I'm not sure how this is MG's fault. Ehrhoff had other priorities obviously and you can't blame him for taking his payday considering the ridiculous total sum he got.

I think it's naive to assume that we could have gotten Ehrhoff for even $5M per. We really have no idea.

Lots of people are blaming Gillis under the assumption that he stiffed Ehrhoff for a paltry $400k. But it works the other way - why couldn't Ehrhoff give up $400k to stay?

Huh? No
It's pretty evident from the beginning that Gillis was planning on keeping either Bieska or Ehrhoff, but not both, there's no cap room

Gillis didn't even have the cap to replace Ehrhoff will a lower salary defenceman, every D in the system just moved up a notch

So it wasn't Ehrhoff's choice, that's just window dressing talk, Gillis obviously had no intention of signing him because he picked Bieska

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think a lot of people here are really underestimating how hard it is to get key players/pieces for a team. It's not like the Canucks organizations says, "hey we need a top-6 power forward", and the universe responds "*bink*, here u go GMMG!"

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Petey Cee
reel gud

I think gillis could have relented and gave Ehrhoff a 7 year / 35 million contract. Ehrhoff would for sure have accepted that.

REally dissapointed with his stubbornness, ehrhoff was a key player.

Petey Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:21 PM
David71

regarding erhoff. it was either keep him, let bieska walk, salo stays or walks. ballard traded. but it was quite the opposite. the pp this year hasnt been the same without erhoff. he's the key to the pp.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
GingersRULE

I agree Erhroff was a loss and I would've preferred too keep him rather then Bieksa..But there was no way Gillis was going to sign Christian to a 7 or 10 year contract..That would be like a slap in the face to the Sedins who were denied a 12 year deal or something like that..

GingersRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post

400K to stay?

You mean $2M. 400K a year for 5 years is giving up 2M.

We could have kept Ehrhoff for that number on longer term.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:07 AM
HANSENISBEST

This season, Bieksa has done nothing to show me that he has turned the corner on his consistent "play badly, play awesome in contract year, repeat" process. If the choice truly was between Bieksa and Erhrhoff, it really doesn't appear to be the best decision, given Erhrhoff signs for 5-5.5 mil/year. Of course, the season is young, although I really hope Bieksa doesn't mail it in again for the course of this contract.

HANSENISBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Ehrhoff's got 1g4a in 7gp, -6 though. Salo's got 3g3a in 8gp, and +5. Getting paid less, and is on a shorter term contract too.

Therefore Salo>Ehrhoff.

All jokes aside our PP just lost two of our better pointmen, and it's gone down the toilet (so far).

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:19 AM
opendoor

Salo is about the only positive on a blue line that has been absolutely dreadful to start the season. He's playing some of his best hockey of the last 5 or so years.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:22 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Salo is about the only positive on a blue line that has been absolutely dreadful to start the season. He's playing some of his best hockey of the last 5 or so years.
The blueline has looked about as good as it did in the SCF.

We are wasting 4.2M on a guy who plays no PP time and 12 minutes a game. It's just awful allocation of cap space.

Our PP looks way less dangerous w/o Ehrhoff and the PP was the best way to keep other teams in check when they try to push us around.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:42 AM
bbud

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
The blueline has looked about as good as it did in the SCF.

We are wasting 4.2M on a guy who plays no PP time and 12 minutes a game. It's just awful allocation of cap space.

Our PP looks way less dangerous w/o Ehrhoff and the PP was the best way to keep other teams in check when they try to push us around.
Veterans didnt get much pre season time to work together which has not helped PP has not looked terrible eitther id bet though its not a worry once they get Booth figured in and get going.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Ehrhoff's got 1g4a in 7gp, -6 though. Salo's got 3g3a in 8gp, and +5. Getting paid less, and is on a shorter term contract too.

Therefore Salo>Ehrhoff.

All jokes aside our PP just lost two of our better pointmen, and it's gone down the toilet (so far).
The one goal is an empty-netter and the only two of the assists are PP points.

My point is that there's no point constantly whining "Oh we miss Ehrhoff" when his departure was a two-way street, and he's not coming back. If we can't make up for him, we're clearly not as good as we think we are.

Why don't we just find a way to win.
Screw whether Ehrhoff left or not. Screw how bad Luongo is playing right now. Screw whatever other little details we're all obsessing about. Find a way to win. Overcome adversity. It's a team, not a collection of individuals.

That's what we're all missing with all this talk about particular players who are here are not. Right now the whole team is not getting the job done.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:40 PM
timw33

We definitely did not improve in the offseason.