HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Hemsky Deal

Old
04-11-2010, 09:16 PM
belair

vCash: 500
A Hemsky Deal

I posted this in the SNET forums and had some interesting responses. I wanted to post in the open trade forum to possibly get some more opinions and possibly some harsh criticism, but realized you have to be a member for 45 days. Here goes anyways.

Over the past month or so, rumours have been circulating about the Oilers hunting for another Top-5 pick in the 2010 draft. And at the hands of salivating Oilers fans and even well-known media folk, Ales Hemsky's name has been thrown into the fire. I, for one, am disgusted at the idea of trading our most popular, and talented player for potential--as if we didn't have enough already.

In my eyes, Ales Hemsky is untouchable. But in my boredom, I have constructed a deal that looks too good for me to pass up myself. It is necessary to state that this trade is highly unlikely, in the fact that a certain player in this deal would very likely refuse the deal, even though a no-trade clause is not in place. This is just for kicks.

The Oilers make this deal to acquire a young, bonefide superstar centre without having to go the draft route. They also clear a logjam of forwards and make room to fit in prospects who are ready for a shake in the bigs. Meanwhile, they also add a bit of defensive depth.

The Penguins make this deal to adjust from being a top-heavy roster, while adding a bit of cap relief. They add to their team, a complimentary forward who could potentially bring Crosby to the next level. They also add depth to their offense by bringing in some young, speedy forwards.

TO PITTSBURGH PENGUINS:

Ales Hemsky
Andrew Cogliano
Gilbert Brule
2010 2nd Rd Pick (EDM)
2011 1st Rd Pick (EDM)

TO EDMONTON OILERS:

Evgeni Malkin
Simon Despres

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Meanashell11

Nuts!

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Meanashell11

by the way, kudos to anyone who knows what that quote is from!

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
battlegoon

Huge pass for me

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
oilerfan17

The Penguins are not going to trade Malkin for future for at least the next several seasons. They're competing for the cup, so why make a trade that makes them worse in the present?

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:31 PM
smokersarejokers

Bring Crosby to the next level made me laugh. What is the next level for that kid? Conn Smythe? I tihnk Geno has a better chance getting him there than Hemsky.

I'm sure Shero gets offers like this all the time and never stops laughs his ass off.

Why would the Penguins change what they have going? They have 2 of the top 5 players in the world and they're both under 25. Also, if they were to trade Geno, it would be for a defenceman and Doughty, myers, and Hedman are the only acceptable d-men in a malkin trade.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

vCash: 50
Any player who misses the last 60 games of the season due to injury has almost no value in a trade....

It does not matter whether it is Hemsky or Souray.......... We end up selling low - extremely low....

Why do people believe otherwise?

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Not really a fan of Malkin.

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Nuts!
Uncle Buck. Said by one Macaulay Culkin(Miles) while trying to thing of another word for balls

georgiabluejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Bring Crosby to the next level made me laugh. What is the next level for that kid? Conn Smythe? I tihnk Geno has a better chance getting him there than Hemsky.

I'm sure Shero gets offers like this all the time and never stops laughs his ass off.

Why would the Penguins change what they have going? They have 2 of the top 5 players in the world and they're both under 25. Also, if they were to trade Geno, it would be for a defenceman and Doughty, myers, and Hedman are the only acceptable d-men in a malkin trade.
Make no mistake Crosby will always find another level, it's what he does. And Crosby and Malkin don't actually play together that often considering that they play the same position.

Not saying this is a deal that would happen, I just didn't happen to agree with those two points. That's all, but who knows

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Any player who misses the last 60 games of the season due to injury has almost no value in a trade....

It does not matter whether it is Hemsky or Souray.......... We end up selling low - extremely low....

a) even if he was healthy the trade would never happen.
b) i dont believe the "Trade value" for Hemsky dropping because of that criteria. hes still valuable and unless theres major structural damage that radically alters his game - no team would question his skill or value.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post

This is generally a terrible post. No GM in their right mind would accept Myers or Hedman (even with other pieces) for Malkin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
vb

Tambo should be fired if he trades our 1st in 2011. That could easily be 1st overall.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Orochimaru
Ten Thousand Snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
Tambo should be fired if he trades our 1st in 2011. That could easily be 1st overall.
Don't jinx it! He might trade the 2010 1st for the rights to Chelios!

Orochimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Doesn't matter if it is, Larsson and Couture are easily worth a top-6 forward IMO which is the only thing Tamby would trade it for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
by the way, kudos to anyone who knows what that quote is from!

Battle of the Bulge when the Germans had the American troops surrounded and they asked for their surrender

http://www.thedropzone.org/europe/Bulge/kinnard.html

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
In my eyes, Ales Hemsky is untouchable.
Quote:
Malkin

Thanks for that, I almost pissed my pants.

If Hemsky is untouchable then what do you call a guy with a Conn Smythe Trophy, an Art Ross Trophy, a Calder Cup Trophy, a Hart runner-up, and who won the playoff scoring race on the way to a stanley cup, who's still only 24?

Maybe Malkin could be moved if the Pens figure they could still win Cups with Crosby and a slightly lesser center on "the other first line" but Hemsky isn't a main component of a deal for a player like Malkin.

This dude is totally off the reservation. Lock it up.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

For the Sheldon Souray example, I have to agree with you. He is more of a salary dump at this point in time, and we may be better off to keep him.

But Ales Hemsky`s value has not dwindled in the least. He is still one of the league`s premier wingers.

And although this was not a trade; Marian Gaborik says hello. 7.5 million a year for 5 years to a guy who played in 18 games the previous year.

Old
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

If Hemsky is untouchable then what do you call a guy with a Conn Smythe Trophy, an Art Ross Trophy, a Calder Cup Trophy, a Hart runner-up, and who won the playoff scoring race on the way to a stanley cup, who's still only 24?

Maybe Malkin could be moved if the Pens figure they could still win Cups with Crosby and a slightly lesser center on "the other first line" but Hemsky isn't a main component of a deal for a player like Malkin.

Good points. Not only that, you're making the Pens add in their best defensive prospect (a #1 pick last season).

You're not even giving up any of the good Edmonton bargaining chips (#1 2010, Eberle, or MPS).

If the Pens were really going to deal Malkin, they'd be dealing him for a young franchise defenseman as others mentioned or a package surrounding a major winger that plays in Shero's preferred style that would compliment Crosby (Perry, Ryan, Burrows, Parise, etc).

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

And although this was not a trade; Marian Gaborik says hello. 7.5 million a year for 5 years to a guy who played in 18 games the previous year.
Marian Gaborik was signed by Sather....

Who signed Redden (2 goals in 2010) for $6.5 million salary cap for six years.... And signed Chris Drury (14 goals in 2010) for $7 million salary cap for five years...

Something about "even a blind squirrel being able to find a nut".....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:18 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

First off... If you`d actually read the post, I realize the trade would never happen.

Second... I obviously realize that Hemsky would indeed be moved in a deal such as this one. I`m the one who proposed it!!

Third... I understand Malkin is Top-3 in the NHL on a bad day. Hence sending 5-first rounders the other way.

And correct me if I`m wrong, but Crosby and Malkin are both centres and are generally on separate lines. This trade would bolster their top line, giving Crosby a premier setup man, allow Staal to move up the depth chart, and fit Brule and Cogliano into their 2nd and 3rd lines. Plus add the two prospects picked up via draft.

Elite players get traded. And thats a lot of value going back.

Old
04-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
may I just ask... why? and please don't say because he's Russian, or he soft, or something else ridiculous like that.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
battlegoon

Hall-Malkin-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Penner

On second thought, deal

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If that offer is on the table Tambo takes it and runs like Usain Bolt.

If Shero saw this, he'd pimp-slap Tambo upside the head so hard that he'll wake up as Vancouver's assistant GM again.

I don't know why any of you are saying that 2011 1st rounder will be worth so much when it's Evgeni Malkin we're getting back in return. Top-3 player in the game signed to a 8 year deal is worth much more than what Edmonton is giving up in this deal.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Spawn

Done... instantly. You can take out Despres too. The Pens don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
You're not a fan of a 6'3 23 year old centerman with 77 points in 67 games?

You're not a fan of a 23 year old who has had 2 100 point seasons to his name including winning the Art Ross? Who has been in the top 20 in all 4 seasons of his career. Including 2 top 5 finishes (would be top 5 this year at the pace he is scoring).

You're not a fan of a 23 year old who has 62 points in 49 career playoff games? Including leading the playoffs in scoring last year and winning the Conn Smythe?

Malkin is an elite franchise player far above the likes of anything we are going to see this year or next. I would make this trade even if the pick next year was guaranteed to be 1st overall.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote