HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That's all Folks!

Old
04-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat.

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Tambo better be buying out Moreau,Nilsson,O'sullivan during this offseason.
That wouldn't be that smart. If they are all bought out, we have to pay them still a fraction of their contract (if I'm not wrong), which will turn into basically dead cap space, which is never good. No thanks.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Lounge Act*

vCash: 500
All I can say is thank god this travesty of a season is over.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
They will not be buying out all three. Book it. Buying out all three would be the biggest mistake Tambi could make. You'd have over $1M of dead cap space you can't use because it's on the cap for the next two years. No thanks.
Moreau, POS and Nilsson are a combine for a lot more than $1M in dead cap space they are usless to the Oilers moving forward.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
They will not be buying out all three. Book it. Buying out all three would be the biggest mistake Tambi could make. You'd have over $1M of dead cap space you can't use because it's on the cap for the next two years. No thanks.
I actually agree with this, though I think the numbers are off. I think buying out 1 of the 3 would be acceptable, but all three would be too much. Better to suffer a little bit longer, if these guys can't be moved, rather than have lost cap space for more years. After 2010-11, the major headaches would likely be Horcoff, Souray (if he's not moved) and to a lesser extent Khabibulin. I admit I'm impressed with what Whitney has done for himself, and Gilbert. Hopefully it lasts!

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
Some team will trade for Sully and Moreau. The only player that may be bought out is Nilsson.
If I heard right about Gilbert(that the only offer we got was Gilbert and a 2nd for a 7th rounder at the deadline) than I don't know why anybody takes O'Sullivan. He and Nilsson will be bought out.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:30 PM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
If I heard right about Gilbert(that the only offer we got was Gilbert and a 2nd for a 7th rounder at the deadline) than I don't know why anybody takes O'Sullivan. He and Nilsson will be bought out.
I would say you heard incorrectly. Gilbert and a second would fetch a helluva lot more than a seventh round pick. That statement doesn't even make sense. Considering a second is worth more than a seventh.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This team has so many bad players that it will take a few years to really turn this crapfest around.
Nobody will deny that we've got some crappy players, but I don't think this is as big a problem as people suggest.

Pisani is likely gone. I could see Comrie here for another season unless we land someone with a little more size via free agency.

We lost Staios's 2.7M cap hit. That was crucial.

After next season no matter what Moreau, Nilson and O'Sullivan will be out of here. That's 3 crappy players making almost 7 million combined.

Gilbert played like crap until Grebs was moved out of town and I expect to see Whitney and Gilbert play together next year.

Whether or not Souray plays for us next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Chorney and Smid play together on the second pairing. Their skill sets complement each other quite nicely.

That leaves the possibility of Souray playing 3rd pairing 5 on 5, 1st pairing PK and 1st pairing on the PP. If Souray doesn't get traded before the draft, then I don't expect to see him get traded.

Whitney-Gilbert
Chorney-Smid
Souray-Petry/Peckham

It could be a lot worse. There's a lot of versatility in those 3 pairings.

As for our forwards now, we're going to be crappy next year. Even if Omark, Eberle, MPS AND our first rounder make the team (They won't ALL pull it off) we'll be a crappier team because we need to give them time to adjust to the NHL game. Still if we don't trade Penner or Hemsky

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS/Sequin-Hall/Sequin/Comrie-Sequin/Eberle/Hall

Things are looking OK. They could be a lot worse. Like if we'd also given Smyth the money he wanted. Our cap problems would have been even bigger.

Is Horcoff waive-able? If he is waive-able I doubt anyone would claim him on re-entry waivers for 2.7M per season over such a length... the cost of a buyout at that rate would be very affordable.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:32 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Is your source Eklund

I think that may be Moreau you are thinking of.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Leaf fan here.

I hope to god you guys win that lottery. Seriously do, if Boston does...

On a side note, I feel hella bad for Deslauriers O_o He's above .900 sv %age, but he loses nearly every game. I don't go on these boards much, but man that must suck like crap for him. To play for a team like you guys (no offense intended, and as I see, you guys agree) and still have a .900 above....that's not that bad O_o

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Chorney and Smid play together on the second pairing. Their skill sets complement each other quite nicely.

Whitney-Gilbert
Chorney-Smid
Souray-Petry/Peckham

It could be a lot worse. There's a lot of versatility in those 3 pairings.

Chorney and Petry are not NHL ready. If those are the D pairings next year the Oilers will give up the most goals in the league again and be a lottery team again

Old
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
I would say you heard incorrectly. Gilbert and a second would fetch a helluva lot more than a seventh round pick. That statement doesn't even make sense. Considering a second is worth more than a seventh.
It does make sense. Gilbert had negative value because of his contract. Regardless of whether or not it's true is not important. A lot of the oilers have the stigma around them of being part of a losing formula. And anybody whos watched O'Sullivan dog it 3/4 of the season is not going to put his 3 million on their cap. O'Sullivan is one of those guys with negative value.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:51 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
It does make sense. Gilbert had negative value because of his contract. Regardless of whether or not it's true is not important. A lot of the oilers have the stigma around them of being part of a losing formula. And anybody whos watched O'Sullivan dog it 3/4 of the season is not going to put his 3 million on their cap. O'Sullivan is one of those guys with negative value.
everyone said the same thing about Penner last season - and hell - for parts of this season he disappeared too. and yeah, the value was negative, but it sure became the main piece of the failed Heatley deal and he came out of the gates well.

is O'Sully going to go through the same situation? doubt it. but to say his game has no value after playing a solid, fairly complete game in LA (PK/PP) seems way too absolutist. hes a passenger player and needs a different matrix of of players/coaches to interact with. where? obviously not with this group of tards.

fans change/rearrange "GOATS" with this franchise so fast its not even funny

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Whitney-Gilbert
Chorney-Smid
Souray-Petry/Peckham
Chorney is hardly an NHL defenseman let alone a legitimate top 4 defenseman.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLeafs View Post
Leaf fan here.

I hope to god you guys win that lottery. Seriously do, if Boston does...

On a side note, I feel hella bad for Deslauriers O_o He's above .900 sv %age, but he loses nearly every game. I don't go on these boards much, but man that must suck like crap for him. To play for a team like you guys (no offense intended, and as I see, you guys agree) and still have a .900 above....that's not that bad O_o
Deslauriers was a big part of losing many of those games. Look at his game by game SV%, it's up and down more than a hooker giving a blowie.

Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
everyone said the same thing about Penner last season - and hell - for parts of this season he disappeared too. and yeah, the value was negative, but it sure became the main piece of the failed Heatley deal and he came out of the gates well.

is O'Sully going to go through the same situation? doubt it. but to say his game has no value after playing a solid, fairly complete game in LA (PK/PP) seems way too absolutist. hes a passenger player and needs a different matrix of of players/coaches to interact with. where? obviously not with this group of tards.

fans change/rearrange "GOATS" with this franchise so fast its not even funny
I'm not big on scapegoats. I stood by Gilbert. I knew he was playing bad but I knew he could get it together. He's battled for us in the past and I criticized him for his play but I wanted to hang on to him.

The difference is that O'Sullivan gave up on an entire season. Much more than Lupul and infinitely more than Penner. He would chase the puck and when he saw another guy going after it he would give up. We'll see though. Maybe you're right.

Old
04-11-2010, 11:56 PM
GatoradeG*

Nice that Whitney got the last goal of the season. I pray that him and Gilbert continue this success.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Hemsky4PM

I could see next season being captainless, but Whitney will eventually have the C on this team. Strong leadership since arriving and he's also a good player, which will be a nice switch from the pure "heart" captains we have had since Weight was moved out.

1. Souray will be gone if anyone wants him.

We can use that money on a 3-3.5M defender. Who cares what we get back.

2. JDD and Dubnyk are not legit 40 game goalies. That said. We should be expecting the miss the playoffs next season and do the proper rebuild, finish with another top 3-5 pick. That means either of these guys can play 30+ games next year without much pressure. We will trade one of them at the draft. I could see JDD going to Montreal (Price/Halak would NOT be coming our way). Other teams that need a back-up next season: Carolina, Calgary, Buffalo...

3. I hope we win the lottery, but Hall/Seguin will at the very least upgrade out talent level for the next 7-10 years.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I could see next season being captainless, but Whitney will eventually have the C on this team. Strong leadership since arriving and he's also a good player, which will be a nice switch from the pure "heart" captains we have had since Weight was moved out.

1. Souray will be gone if anyone wants him.

We can use that money on a 3-3.5M defender. Who cares what we get back.

2. JDD and Dubnyk are not legit 40 game goalies. That said. We should be expecting the miss the playoffs next season and do the proper rebuild, finish with another top 3-5 pick. That means either of these guys can play 30+ games next year without much pressure. We will trade one of them at the draft. I could see JDD going to Montreal (Price/Halak would NOT be coming our way). Other teams that need a back-up next season: Carolina, Calgary, Buffalo...

3. I hope we win the lottery, but Hall/Seguin will at the very least upgrade out talent level for the next 7-10 years.
I agree with all your comments except the JDD to Montreal idea. Why do you say he will land there? I know Price and Halak won't be coming here. I could see JDD start the year on Oklahoma if he passes through waivers, and I see no reason why he wouldn't clear waivers.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
YAAAAAAY!!! WOOOHOOO. Thank God. I hope I never have to see 90% of the morons on this team.
I'd love to see them again.....on other teams.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 1010
Thank you God. It's over. Now please win the lottery.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Hunt4Oil

We Want The Cup!

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:51 AM
T-Funk

players i hope to never see again:
strudwick - dear god has he been bad lately -- great guy but too old now
osullivan - i pity this guy
nilsson - the skill is there, the effort is not
moreau - .......eep
cogliano - ive never seen anyone kill their own breakaway chances this much
horcoff - wishful thinking but honestly why do we pay this guy because he tries hard....if he has a good season next year then great but this guy just bamboozled us out of so much money
stortini - i know he wont be traded but all he does is try, he doesnt actually do anything (at least hes a bazillion dollars cheaper than horcoff and not doing any damage on the 4th line)
pouliot - ENOUGH ALREADY HE'S DONE IN THE NHL

I'm excited for the draft though

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
players i hope to never see again:
strudwick - dear god has he been bad lately -- great guy but too old now
osullivan - i pity this guy
nilsson - the skill is there, the effort is not
moreau - .......eep
cogliano - ive never seen anyone kill their own breakaway chances this much
horcoff - wishful thinking but honestly why do we pay this guy because he tries hard....if he has a good season next year then great but this guy just bamboozled us out of so much money
stortini - i know he wont be traded but all he does is try, he doesnt actually do anything (at least hes a bazillion dollars cheaper than horcoff and not doing any damage on the 4th line)
pouliot - ENOUGH ALREADY HE'S DONE IN THE NHL

I'm excited for the draft though
I can see O'sully going somewhere next year and scoring 20-25 goals, just seems to be the way it works. it reminds me of the Lupul situation, both came from CA and had deccent years then crapped the bed here. Then Lupul scored 20 and 25 goals the next 2 years. Not that I hope they keep him, it just wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Esikmos

Finally! The season was brutal, next stop - the draft :yo This off-season will be very interesting though.

Esikmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:09 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers8389 View Post
I can see O'sully going somewhere next year and scoring 20-25 goals, just seems to be the way it works. it reminds me of the Lupul situation, both came from CA and had deccent years then crapped the bed here. Then Lupul scored 20 and 25 goals the next 2 years. Not that I hope they keep him, it just wouldn't surprise me at all.
yeah its very possible, but we seem to agree it shouldn't be here

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote