HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jonathan Ericsson

Old
04-11-2010, 10:59 PM
MrSandMan*

vCash: 500
Jonathan Ericsson

I wanted to make this thread after the Chicago game but wanted to go celebrate the win with my wife.

Ericsson had a great game. He looked very sold against the Blackhawks, his stick was active and he showed some grit along the boards.

He did take a penalty but I think that call was BS. The replay on FSN showed Big 'E touched (not grab) a Hawk player on the shoulder. Really bad call, Ericsson shouldn't be blamed for the call.

Ericsson has looked pretty good since Lilja returned. Hope he keeps it going into the playoffs.

Big Rig

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:33 AM
SoupGuru

Ericsson has improved for sure, but he still has a long way to go.

SoupGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

He's been alot better of late, I think being sat for a few games seemed to help, but that being said, of late the whole team has been clicking alot better. He's not making those big screwups that he was early in the year, but at the same time, he does those things that make you wonder if he should even be in the NHL, like when he managed to "draw a penalty" against Columbus by falling flat on his ass.

I like the guy, and I want him to succeed in Detroit, he has certainly shown hints of potential, but right now I think he really needs to refocus himself in the Off-Season and think about what he wants to do in Detroit, because right now I'm a bit concerned he is going to end up in a 3rd line role where he will be appreciated for what he adds there, but won't really be the defensive piece I had hoped for.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

There is no doubt he has improved and that has come with getting more games and gaining confidence. I'm still looking for more aggression and more shooting from him. I don't want him to be another Lilja. I'm looking for a Pronger. Maybe not point production wise, but Pronger uses every pound of his body in his hits and that makes him one of the most feared defenseman in the league. If Ericsson can get the same style, we'll have a really good prospect for the years to come.

Let's see if he plays like the last playoffs, we could definitely use that kind of form from him.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
ESunlin

Send a message via MSN to ESunlin Send a message via Yahoo to ESunlin
His confidence dwindled all year long. I think between being sat for a few games to evaluate and sit back and decide what he wanted, and the team coming together- it really helped him, and his confidence is coming back and he's slowly making more good decisions than bad.

He'll be okay- it's a rough season for him to start in, and I think the expectations were a bit much. The last round of a draft is playing in the NHL- let's not forget how far he has come.

ESunlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
He must have found out while watching that less is more.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupGuru View Post
Ericsson has improved for sure, but he still has a long way to go.
He still makes some bad plays with the puck and honestly, Im thinking he's over-thinking the situation. He knows he's an offensive defenseman and he looks like he's trying too hard to make the perfect pass instead of the "right pass" or "safe pass".

He needs to train hard this summer and develop a physical edge. Last thing we need is a 6'5 Teddy Bear for the next few years.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
heyfolks

The penalty was an easy call to make within the latest set of rule changes. He took one hand off his stick and used his hand on the body of the opponent.

Over-all play has been discouraging. He is not physical and has not made good decisions with and w/o the puck. Poor positioning, decision making, lack of physical play, and just a lack of ovre-all skill seen on a regular basis is what put him in the press box. Even in the Hawk game Mickey was talking about a glaring mistake by E (It may evenhave been just before he took the penalty, thoguh I can't recall for certain).

After a full NHL season, Ericsson's stock has gone down. He can, however, change that around with a strong post season performance. The more defensively played, physicial brand of the post season may fall right into his winged wheel house. I hope so.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I thought the penalty was pretty legit but I don't remember it that well.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I thought the penalty was pretty legit but I don't remember it that well.
His hand brushed across a Hawk players shoulder. It was a weak call.

Watch when Draper is digging in the corners (and most players for that matter). He has one hand on his stick and his other hand on the oppositions' shoulder in front of him as they fight for the puck. Refs never call those. Ericsson's infraction was a lot less.

In the first period Duncan Keith had a sumo death grip on Cleary's stick which restricted Cleary getting the puck to his team mate, no call. Toews stretched Datsyuks jersey while trying to break through the neutral zone, no call.

I'm not complaining about the none calls, I'm just saying Ericsson's call was weak and wasn't justified. Players do more than that every game, every day. If refs call that consistently, we'd see 60 minutes of 3-on-3 every game.

Bad call

Old
04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
heyfolks

The difference is positioning and use of the arm. Ericsson was beaten and used his hand because of his positioning. Draper most often uses his hand in the corner as part of a "battle for the puck" and not to hook, hold up or otherwise obstruct. I am not in support of the calls, but from my views of games that is the difference.

nevertheless, call or no call, Ericsson did not have a great a game on Sunday and his stock has fallen. that is not to say it cannot rise. the season is not over and this may help him in the long run. I do believe he would have had a better season had his partner bene Lilja and not Lebda. they are not a good pairing.

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
MrSandMan*

I disagree. The game I watched, Ericsson did have a solid game. His stick was always on the ice to disrupt Hawks passing. He was physical in the corners and won some battles. He positioned well. I think he was another important piece that help Wings walk away with the 'W'. Ericsson used his size and reach and it was throwing off Hawks crisp passing game.

I'm not saying E was the 'X' factor. He had a solid game against a great team. I can point out more brain fart errors that Lidstrom than I can against Ericsson the past few games. Lidstrom has been uncharacteristically turning over the puck at the worst possible time. One Lidstrom's turnovers cost Wings a goal against the CBJ.

No I'm not turning this into a Lids/Ericsson debate. Just pointing out that Ericsson should get some credit.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
r0bert8841

The refs have been surprisingly consistent this season when it has come to holding calls. They have been calling that all season.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM
MrSandMan*

There was nothing to call. It wasn't a hold. The back of his brushed up against a Hawks player. Ericsson didn't do anything wrong and the call wasn't justified. If refs call that everytime, we'll watch 3-on-3s, 2-on-2s, 1-on-1s or 0-on-0s for an entire season.

I hope Ericsson continues to develop as a player. He's going to be a great defenseman for the Wings for many years.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
bullocks

He was pretty bad up until when Lilja came back if were being honest.

Edit: noticed you mentioned that

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:39 PM
hexrae

I'm watching Byfuglien play D at the moment and it got me thinking. Wasn't Ericsson a forward in his younger years?

I suspect there's no room for him, given the possible forwards next year:

Top 6
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen
Filppula
Hudler (?)/Holmstrom (UFA)
Bertuzzi (UFA)

Bottom 6
Cleary
Draper
Helm (RFA)
Eaves (RFA)
Miller (RFA)
Abdelkader (RFA)

And it would leave our D in a tight situation (moreso if Lidstrom retires)
Lidstrom (UFA)
Raflaski
Stuart
Kronwall
Lilja (UFA)
Kindl
Lebda (UFA)/Meech (RFA)

But still, even though he's far removed from playing up, what's the opinion if he was moved back up (a reverse Byfuglien situation)? I'm assuming only in an extreme injury/cap issue situation (even then, wasn't it Lebda and Meech who were moved up to forward this year)?

After reading all this, it appears as though I've already reasoned my own hypothetical situation.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I'm not sure Ericsson will be the guy that he was in the playoffs last year. He played best with Lidstrom and has not been able to duplicate that level of play without playing with Lidstrom - Lidstrom is 40 years old and E won't be playing with him much, if ever, for the rest of his career. I think it may be a case where he's a pretty good but not elite player, and that's about all we can expect from him long-term.

Or maybe that's not the case at all.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2010, 06:05 AM
r0bert8841

He still has it in him, he is just having confidence issues now.

Old
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
MrSandMan*

I see this thread has new posts in it since playoffs. Ericsson has been one of the better defensemen in this series. He's looked better than both Rafalski and Kronwall... and at times, better than Lidstrom.

I don't see Ericsson ever being a top 2 in the league, but I think he could develop into a 4 or 5 dman. I'm not sure why Babcock isn't using his shots more. He's got a wicked shot from the blue line.

Old
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
MrSandMan*

Why can't Ericsson play forward? Serious question...

When jumps up in the play, he seems to go straight to the net to create havoc.

Old
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
petesrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Why can't Ericsson play forward? Serious question...

When jumps up in the play, he seems to go straight to the net to create havoc.
I have wondered the same thing. He grew up as a center and didn't change to D until Hakan told him to around the age of 18-20, IIRC. I haven't ever really paid attention to his speed, so that may be a factor (although... Holmstrom?), but damn, what if! A big man, with a great shot, beating people up along the way? Ericsson is used for his defense, which he lacks. Why not shine a light on what he does well?

I've said it before, but Babcock needs to think outside the box.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:45 AM
FabricDetails

Ericsson's speed for a defenseman is above average at best. For a forward it's kinda bad.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Ericsson's speed for a defenseman is above average at best. For a forward it's kinda bad.
He's faster than Holmstrom.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
TheWestWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
So maybe we can get the Homer from that Star Trek episode where all their evil versions appeared after a break in the space time continuim - you know, the one where Spock had his playoff van dyke going to show he was evil? We could put Homer in front of our net to deflect AWAY any pucks coming in.

OK, you have a better idea ????

TheWestWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
No where near as smart as Holmstrom though. Homer has an ability to anticipate where the puck will go.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote