HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The Playoffs Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
The Playoffs Thread

Western Conference first round predictions:

#1 San Jose versus #8 Colorado
San Jose wins 4-2
I want San Jose to win.

#2 Chicago versus #7 Nashville
Chicago wins 4-2
I want Nashville to win.

#3 Vancouver versus #6 Los Angeles
Los Angeles wins 4-2
I am more of a Vancouver fan, but like LA's young talent, so I want them to win.

#4 Phoenix versus #5 Detroit
Detroit wins 4-3
I want Phoenix to win.

------------------------------------------------

Eastern Conference:

#1 Washington versus #8 Montreal
Washington wins 4-0
I want Washington to win.

#2 New Jersey versus #7 Philadelphia
New Jersey wins 4-0
I want New Jersey to win.

#3 Buffalo versus #6 Boston
Buffalo wins 4-2
I want Buffalo to sweep Boston, but don't think it'll happen.

#4 Pittsburgh versus #5 Ottawa
Pittsburgh wins 4-1
I want Pittsburgh to win.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-12-2010 at 01:03 AM.
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Go Coyotes!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:02 AM
dirt

Go Preds!

dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:04 AM
ChicagoBlues

I'm picking Pittsburgh or New Jersey from The East to win The Cup and from The West I'm picking Vancouver (as long as they can stay healthy).

Old
04-12-2010, 01:47 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

If Chicago and Detroit are playing, who are you rooting for? Personally, I could stomach Detroit winning it again a lot more easily than Chicago getting the Cup.

I'm rooting for Nashville, Phoenix and whoever is playing the Canucks. (Unless its Chicago).

In the east, I hope Buffalo gets a chance to do something. I don't have anything against Washington, though, and I wouldn't mind them winning (but I think their record is skewed by playing in a weaker conference).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

All I know is that if either the Penguins and/or Wings are in the finals I will throw up. Pretty plain and simple there. Vancouver is a pretty close third in that regard.

Teams I might root for Phoenix, Colorado, and Buffalo.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM
SteenMachine

Maybe San Jose will finally do some damage so we can stop hearing people complain about all of their star players only being some of the best in the league during the regular season. Oh boo hoo.

It looks like there's a good chance for some rematches though; Pitts and Washington or Chicago and Vancouver will be pretty exciting if they get far enough to play each other.

Personally I want a team like L.A. to prevail just to feel like we're moving on from the Detroit vs all comers era. It's a team that has something more to prove and I like guys with a real reason to win. (Plus they're one of the few teams that doesn't have naive jerks show boating their obvious top end talent as if that makes them knowledgeable or interesting when it comes to hockey.)

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

the only teams i could conceivably consider rooting for are the Flyers, Sabres, Preds & Yotes.

But as far as round one upsets, I'm definitely rooting for the Avs to upset the Sharks, the Kings to knock out the Canucks, Ottawa to take out the Pens and the Canadiens to send the Caps home early.

Ever since the Blues choked away their President's Cup season, I enjoy seeing other PC teams bite it hard it round 1 too.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Noteman

vCash: 350
Send a message via AIM to Noteman Send a message via Yahoo to Noteman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Maybe San Jose will finally do some damage so we can stop hearing people complain about all of their star players only being some of the best in the league during the regular season. Oh boo hoo.

It looks like there's a good chance for some rematches though; Pitts and Washington or Chicago and Vancouver will be pretty exciting if they get far enough to play each other.

Personally I want a team like L.A. to prevail just to feel like we're moving on from the Detroit vs all comers era. It's a team that has something more to prove and I like guys with a real reason to win. (Plus they're one of the few teams that doesn't have naive jerks show boating their obvious top end talent as if that makes them knowledgeable or interesting when it comes to hockey.)
You should go to the trade rumors forum more often.

Noteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
BlueBeard

It will be interesting to see if Pronger can carry the Flyers deep in the playoffs. I can only imagine the 20+ page whine fests in the playoff sub-forum over something he does this post season. Get your MJ popcorn eating .gifs ready!

I'd like to see the Yotes make some noise in the playoffs but I don't like their matchup. Lidstrom is still rediculously good and Zetterberg is a beast in the playoffs. I don't see a single forward on the Yotes that can handle Zetterberg. I can see a scenario where the Yotes manage a win or two but once the Wings get their playoff legs it will be over for the Yotes.

Side note: Jarmo, please, please, please, please, please draft us a Zetterberg(if you haven't already)!

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Noteman

vCash: 350
Send a message via AIM to Noteman Send a message via Yahoo to Noteman
Western Conference
Quarterfinals
#1 San Jose versus #8 Colorado
San Jose in 6. Rooting for San Jose
#2 Chicago versus #7 Nashville
Chicago in 4. Rooting for Nashville
#3 Vancouver versus #6 Los Angeles
Los Angeles in 7. Rooting for LA
#4 Phoenix versus #5 Detroit
Detroit in 6. Rooting for Phoenix.

Semis
#1 SJ vs. LA
LA in 7. rooting for LA
#2 Chicago vs. #5 Detroit
Chicago in 5. Rooting for a good series. Prefer Detroit.

Conf Finals
#2 Chicago vs. #6 LA
Chicago in 4. Rooting for LA

------------------------------------------------

Eastern Conference:
Quarterfinals
#1 Washington versus #8 Montreal
Washington in 5. Rooting for Washington
#2 New Jersey versus #7 Philadelphia
New Jersey in 6. Rooting for Jersey
#3 Buffalo versus #6 Boston
Boston in 7. Rooting for Boston
#4 Pittsburgh versus #5 Ottawa
Pittsburgh in 6. Rooting for Ottawa

Semis
#1 Washington vs. #6 Boston
Caps in 6. Rooting for a good series.
#2 New Jersey vs. #4 Pittsburgh
Pens in 5. Rooting jor NJ

Conference Finals
#1 Washington vs. #4 Pittsburgh
Wash in 6. Rooting for Washington

CUP FINALS
Washington vs. Chicago
Washington in 6. Rooting for Washington

Noteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I really like Vancouver's top 3 lines. Deepest and most dangerous forward core in the West IMO, because literally all 3 lines can burn you and they are wicked in transition and crafty with the puck. Like them even better than the Hawks with buttfugly now back on D. Sucks for them they lost Mitchell and Luongo continues to look shaky as all hell since the Olympics (well, since the gold medal game really). If Mitchell was healthy and Luongo was on his game I would pick the Nucks to come out of the West.

As for the other intriguing first round series, Hawks/Preds will be very very interesting to me. We know first hand how good the Preds are and that's a team that's built to win a round or 2 in the post-season. Just a bad bad draw for the Hawks.

TheOrganist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
EOM

I do NOT want to see Detroit in the finals again. Other than that, I don't really mind who wins what.

My 1st round predictions:

Western Conference:

San Jose vs Colorado: Sharks in 6 - Avs are young and out of gas.
Chicago vs Nashville: Predators in 7 - The Preds play a smart, hard-working game and have excellent goaltending in Rinne. They will expoit Chicago's goaltending in the biggest upset of the first round.
Vancouver vs LA: Canucks in 6 - Canucks' offense will be the difference. Should be a good series though.
Phoenix vs Detroit: Coyotes in 7 - Wings are hot but the Coyotes have a great team and Bryzgalov will be reason they win.

Eastern Conference:

Washington vs Montreal: Caps in 6 - Montreal has good goaltending, whether it's Halak or Price, and they could steal a game or two.
New Jersey vs Philadelphia: Devils in 5 - Devils are a much better team in all aspects, especially goaltending.
Buffalo vs Boston: Sabres in 5 - The league's worst offense against league's best goalie.
Pittsburgh vs Ottawa: Penguins in 6 - It'll be the closest series in the East, but Crosby and Malkin are clicking and will secure the win for the Pens.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
c-carp

Here are my thoughts

Western conference

#1 SJ vs #8 Col-San Jose looks stacked on paper, but their history in the playoffs since they became an upper echelon team is merky at best. I see them winning this series but not in a walk I see it taking six or seven games. I want to pick San Jose to make the finals but dont trust them. They win but win a close series.

#2 CHI vs #7 NSH-Chicago could win this series easily and on paper they probably should, I am picking this as my upset out west in the first round though because I think Pekka Rinne will steal a game or two and the preds will prevail in 7 Games.

#3 VAN vs #6 LA-this could and be a barnburner of a series, possibley the most exciting of the round and the toughest for me to pick. I am going to take the canucks in 6 games. They could make the finals this year.

#4 PHO vs #5 DET-I hate the Wings as much as anyone here and hope they get their ***** kicked. I dont see it happening though because they have played very good hockey lately and I think they beat the Coyotes in 4 games possibly 5.

Eastern Conference

#1 WSH #8 MON-Washington looks to be a beast of a squad, you can find questions to ask of them like what will happen when they get into a tight checking series and question their goaltending. I dont see it happening in this series unless Halak or Price get hotter that a burnt cork. I see the Caps in 5 here.

#2 NJ vs #7 PHI-If it wasnt for all of the injuries to Philly's goaltending this would be a hell of a series but it is what it is. Devs in 5 here.

#3 BUF VS #6 BOS-I see this as a very tough series that will go 6 or seven games with the Sabres winning, although I am pulling for the Bruins.

#4 PIT vs #5 OTT-This could be a very good series as well, I am gong to stick with the Champs in 6 games though.

Great thread

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'll predict the West today. I'll do the East separately.

San Jose vs Colorado

It would be nice to pick Colorado, but the fact is that they were slumping badly and are a little lucky they pulled out a couple wins to stay in the playoffs. I think the all-rookie team is going to be a bit of deer-in-the-headlights and get beat. I think this one is over 4-1 San Jose (possibly even a sweep).

Chicago vs Nashville
Well, I certainly WANT Nashville to win. My heart might be messing with my head a bit, but I think there is a great chance for an upset. This one goes 7 games, and I'm going with the Preds. Chicago has a couple injury issues, and their goaltending has reared its ugly head recently. I'm not at all impressed with their goaltending, and I don't see how they can run deep in the playoffs like that. Contrated with Pekka Rinne, who is playing at a high level right now...the Predators are hitting their stride at just the right time. Man, I'd love to watch the fall-out in Chicago if the Blackhawks suffered a first-round exit.

Vancouver vs L.A. - Although the Kings lack playoff experience, I think Luongo can't just turn on a switch and all of a sudden find a high level. He's been shaky for a while. Yes, he's capable of elite level play, and he'll probably do it for a game or two, but I also see him laying an egg or two. I think the Kings have the offense to put enough pressure on him. This should be a great series, though...and probably goes 7 games. I'm picking the Kings.

Phoenix vs Detroit - As much as I would like to see the Coyotes win here, I think Detroit is on a roll and Phoenix is just going to be happy to be here. The difference here is that unlike the Kings and Avalanche, Phoenix has some experience on the roster (and Bryzgalov). They'll make a good series out of it, but I think Detroit will win in 6. The wildcard is Howard in the playoffs, but I think he'll play well. It sure seems like a long time ago when the Blues victimized him in Sweden.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
fan in oregon

i think it will be a washington capitals vs san jose sharks final. i havent picked a winner yet but i think in the first round there should be upsets. i think both detroit and chicago will lose in the first round. i think the sharks beat colorado, nasville over chicago, phx over detroit and van over la. then i think sharks over nashville and van over the coyotes and finally sharks over canucks. in the east i think it will be wash. over mtl. devils over flyers, buffalo over boston and in big upset i think the senators will beat the penguins. then the caps beat the senators and the sabres will beat the devils. finally the caps beat the sabres. like i said before i havent my winner yet between the sharks or the capitals.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:04 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I so badly wanted Detroit versus Vancouver in the first round. get rid of one of my more hated teams

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
ChicagoBlues

I am having a tough time with the Vancouver-Los Angeles series. I picked LA to win the series, but predicted Vancouver to possibly represent The West in The Cup Finals. Obviously there's a conflict for which the only solution is to pick one.

Here's my qualified caveat: IF (big if) Vancouver can get past LA, AND stay healthy, then they will come out of The West.

I am in agreement with the others here who've mentioned their exhaustion with teams like Detroit or Pittsburgh. While I agree with the overall sentiment, Detroit, Pittsburgh and New Jersey all have that X-factor; a winning attitude. And with the way Detroit has been playing since January, it looks like it may still be Detroit against "all comers".

As far as I am concerned, and as much as this pains me, I CAN see these playoffs in The West going through Detroit. Bryz is amazing, but even he cannot possibly withstand 40-45 shots on goal per game and get 4 victories.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-13-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
04-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

The Yotes and the Avs win.
Two for the good guys.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:30 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
The Yotes and the Avs win.
Two for the good guys.
It was glorious to see Chris Stewart tear the hearts out of a different franchise's fans for once. (Primary assist to Rob Blake's skate blade...but hey, that's why a shot on net, or toward the net late in a tied playoff game, is never a bad play.)

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:45 PM
ChicagoBlues

So..........my predictions are not coming true at all so far.

Oh well

==================

The Coyotes looked great. They were all over Detroit. If they can sustain that forecheck in this series, then they can win it.

I can't believe New Jersey lost to Philly. Is Pronger trying to carry the whole team on his back? Can he do it? No way because Boucher will blow it no matter how possessed Pronger becomes.

I used to really dislike San Jose back in the day and then I became a fan, but I'm starting to not like them again.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
It was glorious to see Chris Stewart tear the hearts out of a different franchise's fans for once. (Primary assist to Rob Blake's skate blade...but hey, that's why a shot on net, or toward the net late in a tied playoff game, is never a bad play.)
The fact that he tore our ***** up this year aside. I like watching the Stewart kid play. I think he is going to become one of the top Power Forwards in the NHL.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 01:27 PM
ChicagoBlues

I can't believe that there's an NHL 1st round game on regular TV. That's a huge step in the right direction for The NHL. Let's see how many they air.

Old
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
EOM

Kovalchuk was a monster in game 2 of NJD-PHI series. You can tell he's determined to show that he can be a difference maker in the playoffs. He worked hard every shift, hit hard, make a lot of good plays and put up three points. If he keeps this up, I would think the Devils will definitely re-sign him. He'll probably take a discount too.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2010, 12:27 PM
ChicagoBlues

Kovy has been great!! The Phoenix/Detroit series is a real treat to watch and demonstrates why The Western Conference is better than The Eastern. Detroit is looking really old and really young at the same time. Howard is serviceable at best, but it is veterans like Lidstrom, Stuart, Rafalski who are keeping Detroit in the playoffs.

San Jose looks lost with too many players watching the top lines instead of playing with them.

Philly is surprising the hell outta me, but it shouldn't because Pronger can carry that team. Carcillo has been one of my faves for a few seasons now. I think he's an ass, but that's kinda why I like him.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 04-19-2010 at 12:37 PM.