HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Playoffs Thread

Old
05-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
After playing in a 3-on-3 iron many tourny last night. Needless to say, my legs have never been more dead. We finished 2-2-1 losing in the first round of brackets. We played like the Caps. High offense, but faced goalies like Halak.

Only good thing about last night has to be San Jose taking down the Wings.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
I have never been a fan of The Montreal Canadiens.

But this has changed. Their playoff run is really fun to watch. What I noticed most about the Capitals series was that the Montreal defenders, whether defensemen or forwards, kept the play to the outside and along the walls while in their own zone. They did a great job pushing Capitals forwards away from the slot, aside from the occasional mad-man Ovechkin rushes.

The Canadiens did the same thing with Malkin and the other Penguins forwards. They overcame their size disadvantage with sound defensive positioning.

I think I have become a Montreal Canadiens fans.

well...sort of...

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 05-13-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: clarification
ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm jealous of Montreal's long tradition. But the team this year is inspiring to watch. I like the brand of hockey they play. Also, I don't find Habs fans nearly as annoying as Canucks or Leafs fans. I don't mind rooting for them.

It sure was sweet to watch them knock out Pittsburgh. Crosby takes a stupid early penalty that leads to the first goal. He won his gold medal this year, but the guy didn't show up for the playoffs.

I also don't mind rooting for the Sharks. They've had such a good team for so long, but don't get the respect that should command. I'll have no mixed feelings in pulling for them to beat the Hawks.

I find the series I can't get interested in is Boston/Philly. I'm glad Savard is back, but I can't really get that into it. Maybe a game 7 will help.

Luongo's meltdown was enjoyable. Yes....I do take pleasure in the misery of others.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2010, 09:43 PM
SteenMachine

Agree Montreal's playoff run is finally getting past my bias of ultra snobby fans who have a habit of drudging up elitism. It's rather impressive to think that a couple UFA signings and a big trade could turn that team around and give their goalies a real shot.

Also high 5's all around on the Luongo choke, Schneider needs to get his feet wet so we can all snicker when Nucks' fans lose faith after all this time.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2010, 05:40 PM
c-carp

My Predictions for round 3 are

San Jose over Chicago in 7 games

Philadelphia over Montreal in 6 games

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

On the bright side, this means the magic # stays at 12. 12 other hapless organizations who have not hoisted the cup before us. yay.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 05:44 PM
ChicagoBlues

I certainly did NOT expect The Cup Finals to be Chicago versus Philadelphia.

I forgot to make my Conference Finals picks, but I didn't have Philly getting past Boston in the semis.

My prediction for Stanley Cup Champions is The Philadelphia Flyers in 6.

Chicago has more offense than Philly and match up in terms of size, but The Flyers' size is meaner. If Philadelphia can be aggressive and remain somewhat disciplined, then they win The Cup.

Pronger will lead them to it.

Old
05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
stlweir

Unbelievable that the Flyers are in the finals after making the playooffs in the last game of the season shoot out.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2010, 06:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

And coming back from 0-3, and then down 0-3 in game 7. I have no special love for Philadelphia, but I'm much happier watching them win than the Blackhawks.

Old
05-26-2010, 07:35 PM
EOM

Flyers in 7.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Hossa being a Hawk already dooms them.

3rd time is not the charm.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2010, 12:52 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

I was just looking at some stats...

If Chicago wins the Stanley Cup they will end a 47 season cupless streak. That ranks second all-time behind only the New York Rangers' 53 seasons(which ended in 1994). This will thrust the Blues into a three-way tie(along with the Kings, and the Maple Leafs) for the longest current cupless streak, which rests at 43 seasons... 43 seasons ranks 3rd on the all-time list.

The Blues are coming dangerously close to infamy!

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 12:24 PM
ChicagoBlues

Pretty awesome Finals so far! The 1st game was terribly played, but equally entertaining as the last 3 games.

You ought to hear the sports radio wonks up here in Chicago and the callers into the show. They sound very bravo and over-confident; at least, until last night.

But still there are lots of folks around here boasting this and that about The Blackhawks and that they'll sweep Philly and dominate them at home and blah, blah, blah.

Just a bunch of homer junk!

The Hawks are more talented than Philadelphia, but The Flyers are a tough bunch and collectively much more savvy than Chicago.

Campbell has been absent from this series. Duncan Keith made a few terrible mistakes last night, as did Kane and Hjalmarsson.

I don't like The Flyers and never have, but I am rooting for them with all of my might. However, if Chicago wins, then I can reap the benefits of a happy city, like it was during the 1990s run of The Bulls and then the White Sox championship. (although I love The Bulls and White Sox)

Old
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Always liked Philly when it comes to hockey and the city itself. I love the brand of hockey the Flyers play. Rough and in your face is highly entertaining.

The rest of Philly sports I hate though. Never understood the "city of brotherly love" though, people there don't seem brotherly in the least...unless brothers are all about tough love or something along those lines.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 04:20 PM
ChicagoBlues

I've gotta friend from Philadelphia who told me about the Philly Cheese-Wiz Steak sandwich.

It sounds disgusting, but he claims that lots of Philadephians love it. :VOMIT EMOTICON:

Old
06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Maybe I'm imagining this but after watching Pronger in the playoffs like a hawk I can't get over how eerily similar EJ's mannerisms are to Pronger's at times. For all the "the next Pronger" comparisons that get thrown out for highly touted d prospects EJ is the only one who actually plays similar.

I had a good laugh on Pronger's post game last night. "Dissapointed?!? Jack, we just won the game!"

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2010, 10:15 PM
SteenMachine

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards Philly to take the Cup, after all those huge comebacks they've just worked too hard and have built up too much confidence to quit on themselves and blow it coming out of nowhere... and yeah Pronger just changes the game so much it's incredible; all the Hawks' high power scoring threats now have to beat him just to get to the goalie and hope they still have a chance to get a decent shot off.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Maybe I'm imagining this but after watching Pronger in the playoffs like a hawk I can't get over how eerily similar EJ's mannerisms are to Pronger's at times. For all the "the next Pronger" comparisons that get thrown out for highly touted d prospects EJ is the only one who actually plays similar.

I had a good laugh on Pronger's post game last night. "Dissapointed?!? Jack, we just won the game!"
After watching him in Philly makes me remember how much I loved watching him play here. Even if he is kind of a ******.

EJ is pretty similar and they are very comparable, especially at the same age. EJ will be disadvantage compared to Pronger though, because he will not have Al to mentor him on the ice. Prongers slap shot is what it is because of Al...it was no where near as good until a few seasons with him.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
General Veers

Hating the Hawks is a tradition passed down to me from my dad and uncles, but it's failing me now.
I feel nothing but happiness for the long-suffering fans. I'm sure there are a lot of bandwagon folks, but whatever. I know there are people who have been waiting for a long time for this.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Not here, especially with a friend whose from Chicago who was all on the bandwagon this year. Ugh.... Our 2 biggest rivals in the finals 3 years straight with 2 cups.

In just a little over a year Blues lose game 4 in OT, USA loses in OT to the golden boy, Chicago beats Phili in OT, and the Fighting Sioux not named Oshie wins the Gold, Conn Smythe, and Cup in the same year.

FML

edit: not to mention the Kane goal was an exact mirror image of the Burrows goal minus the confusion.

Last edited by Mr Dangles: 06-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2010, 12:04 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
Hating the Hawks is a tradition passed down to me from my dad and uncles, but it's failing me now.
I feel nothing but happiness for the long-suffering fans. I'm sure there are a lot of bandwagon folks, but whatever. I know there are people who have been waiting for a long time for this.
That's right. I grew up hating the Blackhawks and I don't use that word (hate) very often. But I have been in Chicago for close to 20 years and have been coming here since I was little and know how much this means here. People are crying.

After the game the local NBC station had a great interview with Bobby Hull down at Harry Caray's. He was so elated. You can feel the relief in Chicago. The White Sox got that monkey off their back and now The Blackhawks have accomplished the same. I guess it's The Cubs turn now. barf

Old
06-10-2010, 03:48 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Nah, not the Cubs. Never the Cubs.

Old
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
General Veers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
That's right. I grew up hating the Blackhawks and I don't use that word (hate) very often. But I have been in Chicago for close to 20 years and have been coming here since I was little and know how much this means here. People are crying.

After the game the local NBC station had a great interview with Bobby Hull down at Harry Caray's. He was so elated. You can feel the relief in Chicago. The White Sox got that monkey off their back and now The Blackhawks have accomplished the same. I guess it's The Cubs turn now. barf
If the Cubs win it all before the Blues do, I may just turn in my man card and start watching Supernanny.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
ChicagoBlues

Supernanny rox dood!!

Has anyone seen the video of the cop on the ATV running down Hawks fans and then over a fellow cop?

It's a messed up video of the Stanley Cup Championship parade (which was lame as hell) in downtown Chicago. One of The Blackhawks players lifting The Cup while on top of one of those red double-decker tourist buses. Directly behind him is a Chicago Police officer on a 4-wheel ATV knocking people out of the way with his vehicle and then he actually runs over another CPD officer.