HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The official Ryan Whitney for Captain thread.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:13 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
The official Ryan Whitney for Captain thread.

Listening to this guy's post game comments after tonights game make me like him even more.

Everyone get on board the Whitney for Captain train!

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Ghostbuster

I like Whitney, but I think him and Gilbert have mancrushes on eachother.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:22 AM
nullterm

I don't think he'll make alot of friends in the dressing room, but I think he's a guy the room was missing. Someone who isn't gonna sugar coat it. Don't get me wrong, I think you still need a positive attitude. But that critical voice in the room has been missing.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

How about this crazy crazy idea?!? Instead of Whitney for captain... let Tom Gilbert be captain? yeah?

Think about it thusly, with Gilbert the C and Whitney the A, the Oilers get the newest version of the Gator - Smyth dynamic. Gilbert (Gator) are more like the quiet types. Say the right things in the media, in the locker room say what needs to be said. Gilbert has an advantage in that he has more skill than Gator.
Whitney (Smyth) are the guys that will put it all out on the ice. In the locker room, these are the guys that pump up the Oilers and fire them up. A speech from Whitney (Smyth) fires up the Oilers and they come out the next period gangbusters!

Who's with me?

In all seriousness, I am in favour of not going with a captain next season. Just play the season and see who emerges a leader. Then slap on the C on their chest.

Vizzie235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 AM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
I like Whitney, but I think him and Gilbert have mancrushes on eachother.
Brokeback Oilers? Just sayin'...they're both attractive, fit, take care of themselves...Tom Gilbert owns a lot of shoes...remember that feature where he was always cleaning up after Cogs and Gags? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Points and pants flying everywhere...you can definitely tell they're at the new, wild romance stage. What will happen next year when things get stale and boring?

I for one would celebrate the NHLs first openly gay couple. It's about time professional sports lightened the hell up and let guys just come out in every sport. Just because you have your wiener out while you're changing doesn't mean every gay guy wants to jump on it. So relax Macho Man.

Maybe they'd even get married...and stay here...it's all good here.

The breakup would be messy though...and very emotional. Who would host the dinner parties?

Last edited by plikestechno: 04-12-2010 at 12:37 AM.
plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

The funniest thing is that three different people have hinted at a bromance between the Oilers newest twin towers on D.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
JBell84

please no

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
please no
No to Whitney being captain, or no to bromance?

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Hockey Fan #751

It's too bad Whitney and Gilbert won't be able to continue their strong play and pairing into the World Championships. That would have been great to see.

With Gilbert playing the best he ever has, hopefully he can continue on in the Worlds even though Whitney won't be there.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:10 AM
greatgazoo

I think that the candidates for next Captain of the Oilers once Moreau is either traded or bought-out are: Horcoff, Hemsky or Penner.

I vote for Hemsky.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Cue the countdown to the "I want a trade - Ryan Whitney" thread...

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:15 AM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
How about this crazy crazy idea?!? Instead of Whitney for captain... let Tom Gilbert be captain? yeah?

Think about it thusly, with Gilbert the C and Whitney the A, the Oilers get the newest version of the Gator - Smyth dynamic. Gilbert (Gator) are more like the quiet types. Say the right things in the media, in the locker room say what needs to be said. Gilbert has an advantage in that he has more skill than Gator.
Whitney (Smyth) are the guys that will put it all out on the ice. In the locker room, these are the guys that pump up the Oilers and fire them up. A speech from Whitney (Smyth) fires up the Oilers and they come out the next period gangbusters!

Who's with me?

In all seriousness, I am in favour of not going with a captain next season. Just play the season and see who emerges a leader. Then slap on the C on their chest.
When has Whitney ever said anything encouraging to his teammates that we know of? His speeches are anything but uplifting. In fact, this last interview after Anaheim, he calls his teammates unprofessional, then says that it's "typical" of them. That ought to fire up the troops, eh?

IMO, Gilbert's interview had a lot more positives in it. It's Whitney who needs to keep his mouth shut and just lead by example, like Gator did.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:21 AM
DelusionOIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
When has Whitney ever said anything encouraging to his teammates that we know of? His speeches are anything but uplifting. In fact, this last interview after Anaheim, he calls his teammates unprofessional, then says that it's "typical" of them. That ought to fire up the troops, eh?

IMO, Gilbert's interview had a lot more positives in it. It's Whitney who needs to keep his mouth shut and just lead by example, like Gator did.

-JH.
I disagree. I think he is just saying it how it is. And as a fan, that's refreshing. And I know at least from my limited experience in various sports, its something I could respect.

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:21 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
No to Whitney being captain, or no to bromance?
nothing wrong with a good bromance ;D

Old
04-12-2010, 01:22 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I thought we wanted Souray to be the next captian?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:36 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I thought we wanted Souray to be the next captian?
i was just gonna say:

yea Whitney for captain... until he demands a trade lol

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

Bah, after hearing Souray's comments, I think the Oil is better off without a captain for next year.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post

I think that the candidates for next Captain of the Oilers once Moreau is either traded or bought-out are: Horcoff, Hemsky or Penner.

I vote for Hemsky.
Since we have Horcoff as our most expensive player, give him a two year Captaincy... Knowing that his role is to train his replacements.

That is what Lee Fogolin did as Captain....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzie Nuts View Post
Bah, after hearing Souray's comments, I think the Oil is better off without a captain for next year.
Lets make Reddox captain. He won't ask for a trade.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Vizzie235
mispelled user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
MacT is no longer coach.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Here's a positive article that was written tonight:

Quote:
ANAHEIM — The reception was cold.

Not quite up there in Chris Pronger proportions, but unpleasant just the same.

Every time Ryan Whitney touched the puck on Sunday, he was soundly booed by the Anaheim Ducks faithful.

“It’s just part of the game,” Whitney said. “It’s not a huge deal. I think it might have affected me a little different if it was a playoff game or something, but it was the last game of the year so it really wasn’t that big a deal.

“I was a little surprised, I don’t really remember what I said when I got traded, maybe I went a little overboard on some things, I don’t know.”

Whitney, 27, was sent to the Oilers in exchange for defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky at the trade deadline in March.

Despite seeing his team get hammered 7-2, the former first-round pick got some consolation in scoring a goal and adding an assist.

He finished the year with seven goals and 32 assists, making him the Oilers highest-scoring defenceman this season.

“It’s tough when you lose the last game pretty bad, although it’s nice to score,” he said. “It was a pretty disappointing game, though, and pretty typical of how this year has gone.

“But it’s on to next year and there are way better times ahead.”

Having emerged as one of the team’s top defencemen upon his arrival, Whitney is expected to be a big part of the Oilers’ future.

His play with Tom Gilbert was one of the few bright spots in a season gone horribly wrong.

The two were able to develop an instant chemistry and both became dangerous threats from the point.

“I’m glad we were able to finish strong,” Whitney said. “Going into the summer, that’s what you’re thinking about. I’m playing with a guy that makes it pretty easy out there. Ask anyone, when you’re playing with a good partner, it makes a world of difference.”

Regardless of his play, Whitney, much like the rest of the team, is glad to see this season come to an end so they can switch their focus to next year.

“There were no injuries out there, which sounds kind of stupid, but that’s a big thing. You don’t want a guy getting hurt and being out for five months in a game like this,” he said. “I’m really excited for next year with our draft pick and the young guys that are going to be here. It’s going to be a better year. It’s going to be really good.”

derek.vandiest@sunmedia.ca
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../13549511.html

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:02 AM
plikestechno

Oh my god, journalism. Better hide that before the other sportswrites get jealous.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:20 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
captain doesnt matter. get over the corn ball symbolism and "scarlet letter" type crap. people lead through play. talking to the media is just fan **** analysis.

its like discussing Red Carpet fashion at lame hollywood events.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:48 AM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
captain doesnt matter. get over the corn ball symbolism and "scarlet letter" type crap. people lead through play. talking to the media is just fan **** analysis.

its like discussing Red Carpet fashion at lame hollywood events.
yes well, fashion not only interests a LOT of people, but there is a boatload of money floating around in it, sooooo....

It wouldn't kill you to hold off on the corn ball cynicism once in a while. Enjoy the tradition of NHL captaincy and what it represents; think of how proud it would make a guy like Stortini or Smid to have the C... it really does mean something to these kids, so get over yourself.

What a stupid post.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:01 AM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Didn't he reject our qualifying offer this past off season?

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote