HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do Flyer fans feel about the shoot-out?

Old
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
SC2008

vCash: 500
How do Flyer fans feel about the shoot-out?

Was over at the Rangers board, tired of their whining fans claiming "I hate the shoot-out even if the Rangers had won."

I call BS.

Sooo...they'd rather have the game end in a 1-1 tie and lose the tiebreaker?! (Flyers have more wins). It would have been a greater crime if the Rangers won and made the playoffs with 39 wins and 43 total losses, while the Flyers had 40 wins and 42 total losses--the Rags OTLing their way in. "It's the point system, stupid!"

I'd rather have the game decided on the ice. Sudden death OT is not practical in the regular season. (e.g. teams play back-to-backs, need to catch flights on time, paying overtime to arena employees, etc...)

Would love to hear what Flyer fans think about the shoot-out?

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
We like it today

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We like it today
This.

However, I think for the entire season to hinge on the result of a spectacle like the shootout is flat out atrocious.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:46 AM
CptCannon

I dislike them, unless there's Olli Jokinen shooting for the opponent.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
This.

However, I think for the entire season to hinge on the result of a spectacle like the shootout is flat out atrocious.
It was the position the Flyers put themselves in. They were 8-13 since the Olympics before yesterday. If they lost, it wasn't because they lost a shootout on the last day of the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
I think it's a joke and I hate it.

In a game like yesterdays, there is no way that should be decided through a shoot-out.

The NHL needs to fix this, IMO.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

still not a fan. a longer OT period, ending in a tie would be better for me and my heart.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

It's hard to deny that last nights shootout was exciting. I just watched it again and got goosebumps.

But I don't like it. Usually only 4 players of your team contribute in the shootout. That's 20% of your team. Not enough. Not even close. At least give me 10 minutes of 4-on-4 before falling back on the shootout.

Btw, I love how some Devils fans are arguing that the Flyers had to rely on a skills competition to get into the playoffs. If it wasn't for the loser point the Flyers would've been playoff bound a long time before yesterday. Not to mention that the Rangers were the ones trying to rely on the shootout.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

We suck in the shootout. And going into a shootout between Lunkvist and Booosh was even more terrifying.

Although we won (still don't know how), I would prefer to go for a longer overtime, especially after the dominant performance we were showing throughout the game.

I also never liked the OTL point, unless the changed wins to 3pts.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I still hate it. I don't know what I'd do if we lost that.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
TheSituation

Devils fan here, I come in peace. The shootout is a joke. Imagine the NBA deciding games by a Dunk contest or a 3 Pt. Contest. Only the NHL...

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Mgkibbles

I believe the shootout is a quick and efficient way of deciding a game, and nothing would have changed in my mind had we missed out yesterday.

Sure it sucks to miss out on the Playoffs because of the shootout, but maybe you should've done more during regulation and OT to prevent the game from getting there.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation View Post
Devils fan here, I come in peace. The shootout is a joke. Imagine the NBA deciding games by a Dunk contest or a 3 Pt. Contest. Only the NHL...
agree.

and your avatar is money

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Hate it. No game should ever come down to it.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:00 AM
TheSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubey1327 View Post
agree.

and your avatar is money
Haha thanks. It's Richer's Ghost's (Devils board) work. He's a master when it comes to Photoshop.

TheSituation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Cleary84

I consider myself an old fashion guy, I like vintage hockey. I hate the new NHL rules and penalties and I think the shootout is just as stupid as the new grounds for a hooking or slashing penalty.

That being said, you have to admit it's fun watching a shootout, and having players like Datsyuk, Crosby, Jokinen, etc. who have great moves makes it all the better. So I can see why the league loves it.

I don't love it because it's not vintage hockey. I don't mind a great defensive game, and ties are a part of sports. If yesterday came down to a tie, which would grant us the playoff spot I'd be more than happy. Rangers fans would have to accept it for what it's worth that tying is all their team could do.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
phantomphan

If you take the shootout win points out of the league, the playoff match-ups change just a bit. BUT, the big difference is that the Rangers are in and the Bruins are not.

Current
WAS-MON
NJD-PHL
BUF-BOS
PIT-OTT

Without SO
WAS-MON
NJD-NYR
BUF-PHL
PIT-OTT

In the West, the participants are the same, but Detroit now has home ice over Phoenix. Phoenix has 14 SO wins this season.

Current
SJS-COL
CHI-NAS
VAN-LAK
PHO-DET

Without SO
SJS-COL
CHI-LAK
VAN-NAS
DET-PHO

I am not a fan of turning the team game into a skills competition, but it doesn't seem to change much in the grand scheme. Unless you're a Rangers fan.

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I hate shootouts but they are better than Ties.

I would like a 10 minute OT before the shootout

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
We all would have bee *****ing hardcore about it if we lost. Heading into the SO, I, like many other Flyers fans, thought we were cooked.

Either way, its a pretty bad way to decide a season. The NHL should make an exception to a special case like this, and perhaps make a 10 min OT before the shootout or something.

Feel bad for Rags fans, because Id be down in the dumps to lose the season in the SO

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It was the position the Flyers put themselves in. They were 8-13 since the Olympics before yesterday. If they lost, it wasn't because they lost a shootout on the last day of the season.
My thoughts exactly. Knowledgeable sports fans know that the game/season/playoffs never hinges on just one play no matter what sport writers have you believe. Its the little details that make up a season that puts you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
It's hard to deny that last nights shootout was exciting. I just watched it again and got goosebumps.

But I don't like it. Usually only 4 players of your team contribute in the shootout. That's 20% of your team. Not enough. Not even close. At least give me 10 minutes of 4-on-4 before falling back on the shootout.
Hell, Rangers seemed like they were depending on 4 guys for 65 minutes anyway, Lundquist, Shelley, Prust, Staal. Not much of a stretch in the shootout.

Quote:
Obvious apples & oranges. The frequency & variation of scoring in the NBA is different than the NHL. Its clear that many sports that have a goalie as a position end in ties or shootouts. Ties have no place in sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
I consider myself an old fashion guy, I like vintage hockey. I hate the new NHL rules and penalties and I think the shootout is just as stupid as the new grounds for a hooking or slashing penalty.

That being said, you have to admit it's fun watching a shootout, and having players like Datsyuk, Crosby, Jokinen, etc. who have great moves makes it all the better. So I can see why the league loves it.

I don't love it because it's not vintage hockey. I don't mind a great defensive game, and ties are a part of sports. If yesterday came down to a tie, which would grant us the playoff spot I'd be more than happy. Rangers fans would have to accept it for what it's worth that tying is all their team could do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
still not a fan. a longer OT period, ending in a tie would be better for me and my heart.
Its odd how many fans would be satisfied with a tie. Its the most anti-climatic event in sports--not just in hockey--but to each their own, I guess.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:44 AM
04' hockey

shootouts cheapen the first 3 periods.....

3 on 3 till somebody scores, be just like pondhockey !

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

In a game like yesterdays, there is no way that should be decided through a shoot-out.

Pretty much.

Even though it worked out in the Flyers favor for once, I hate seeing any game, especially one so important being decided by a glorified skills competition. Hockey which should be (and usually is) the ultimate team game, has been bastardized by gimicks like this one IMO.

Wish they would have tried 10 minute overtime first, but I imagine that would have been pretty hard for the PA to go along with.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Completely agree. Playing in OT is much more exciting than a shootout IMO. A goal can happen at any moment and makes it much more exciting. A shootout shows a very small amount of skills necessary to play hockey and it should not be a part of the game.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

I hate the shoot-out. It's BS to decide a game that lasted 65 mins by a skills competition that contradicts the team aspect of hockey.

Problem is, I hate ties too. Can't stand it when I watch a game for 2+ hours and afterwards I don't know how to feel.

Expand the OT to 10 minutes and change the point system to:
win in regulation --> 3 points
win in OT --> 2 points
loss in OT --> 1 point
tie --> 1 point each

Teams would play harder and push for the extra point before the end of regulation. Same goes for OT, no sitting back and hoping for the shoot-out.

With all that said, I know that's never gonna happen.

Last edited by philly_28: 04-12-2010 at 10:15 AM.
philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
langerrr

Quote:
that's probably the worst analogy i've ever seen. international soccer which is the most popular sport in the world get decided in a shootout. its a regular season game and the league was tired of having games go on hours on end with 4-5 continuous overtimes...

langerrr is offline   Reply With Quote