Dudley to be Named GM, Waddell either out or moved to Team President

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 09:22 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
Dudley to be Named GM, Waddell either out or moved to Team President

Falconer is the source on this, similar to the rumors we heard two years ago about Waddell being out.

www.birdwatchersanonymous.com

Interesting to see how this will affect Anderson. I would assume Dudley would want to bring in his own man to run the team.

Last edited by Shameus: 04-15-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Pierre Lebrun is saying Anderson will be gone by weeks end

Mirtle from the Globe and Mail is saying that DW/Anderson may both be out soon

Last edited by Telfo: 04-12-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
AintLifeGrand

please promote him to president. Can't we have a Constitutional Monarchy set up going on, where Dudley is the PM and DW is head of state/ceremonial figure head??

He's a great ambassador for the sport and truly one the good guys in the game. Plus he has done an awesome job this year, despite all that has gone on.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

please read the statement by Tampa Bay and get rid of both of these underperforming men. They are stripping their management after 3 years of no playoffs. Why the heck are we still the laughing stock? No wonder no one wants to go to games.

Firing both will at least create a buzz and give a feeling of relief to the people that pay to sit in the arena.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Boognish

I do not want Dudley as a GM. I'm very happy with him as a talent guy.head scout whatever. But he's not an ops person. DW is the opposite, I think.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
I do not want Dudley as a GM. I'm very happy with him as a talent guy.head scout whatever. But he's not an ops person. DW is the opposite, I think.
i kinda agree about Dudley. I think he is good at what he does and should stay in that role. I shall start the "Hire Steve Yzerman" campaign

Old
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
flerd_trandle

Well, if DW gets named "President of Hockey Operations" and RD is named GM, they may split the duties that way: RD focusing on scouting and development while DW handles the administrative duties.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
i kinda agree about Dudley. I think he is good at what he does and should stay in that role. I shall start the "Hire Steve Yzerman" campaign
I would LOVE to see Yzerman here, but he's not going to come here.

He would be expensive and why would he come here when Tampa is probably willing to spend to the cap max each season. Honestly, this isn't the most attractive organization to work for, we're not at the top of anyone's list of desired workplaces.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I would LOVE to see Yzerman here, but he's not going to come here.

He would be expensive and why would he come here when Tampa is probably willing to spend to the cap max each season. Honestly, this isn't the most attractive organization to work for, we're not at the top of anyone's list of desired workplaces.
yeah i know, we would have to massively overpay him probably and give him a 10 year contract...even then its doubtful... STOP KILLING MY DREAM!

Old
04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Given Tampa's recent history, I somehow doubt he'll go there.

That said, I'd like to see Atlanta go after Yzerman. It can't hurt to try.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM
The Maltais Falcon

What has Yzerman done to prove he can run an NHL franchise? I'm all for taking chances on unknowns from time to time but we went with an unknown our first and only time selecting a GM - I'd like to see the Thrashers go with someone that's been around the block at least a little bit in an NHL GM role. If that means flushing both Waddell and Dudley, so be it.

Who I'd really like to see flushed is Steve Belkin so we can put this ridiculous ownership saga behind us. I harbor no hopes that the Atlanta Spirit know how to run an NHL team but they'd at least be free of all this legal red tape they've been tangled in for years.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
What has Yzerman done to prove he can run an NHL franchise?
I agree. He picked Gold Medal winning Team Canada. A team that had to go to OT to defeat a vastly inferior US team talent wise, and manage to lose to the US once.

He is the flavor of the month, but getting Stevie Y would be more of a PR victory than anything else. And if the team did not improve, that PR boost for the teams image would be shortlived.

I do think that the org in general needs to get more NHL guys involved. Not sure if giving Stevie Y the GM reigns is the right way to do that.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

This is the best news in Thrashers history if true.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
What has Yzerman done to prove he can run an NHL franchise? I'm all for taking chances on unknowns from time to time but we went with an unknown our first and only time selecting a GM - I'd like to see the Thrashers go with someone that's been around the block at least a little bit in an NHL GM role. If that means flushing both Waddell and Dudley, so be it.
Yzerman has been in Detroit's front office for far longer than Waddell ever was. He's had time to observe how to run hockey ops the right way, while Waddell had theme music from Monty Python playing through his head.

Also, in before "Team Canada Gold."

Old
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:

Who I'd really like to see flushed is Steve Belkin so we can put this ridiculous ownership saga behind us. I harbor no hopes that the Atlanta Spirit know how to run an NHL team but they'd at least be free of all this legal red tape they've been tangled in for years.
Fair point.

But purely from a sales/marketing perspective--if you're a free agent looking for a new NHL team which phone call would you take first? If you're a prospective NHL head coach, who would you trust?

Don Waddell 1 NHL game played, zero playoff wins in 10 NHL seasons.

Steve Yzerman 1,000+ NHL games, multiple Stanley Cups, Hall of Famer, etc.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Falconer is the source on this, similar to the rumors we heard two years ago about Waddell being out.

www.birdwatchersanonymous.com

Interesting to see how this will affect Anderson. I would assume Dudley would want to bring in his own man to run the team.
Interesting thought: instead of GMing, would Yzerman take a coaching deal?

Old
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

This article in the paper yesterday says that Don thinks he's coming back. Apparently, they've already talked. It doesn't say GM specifically though...

Quote:
Thrashers general manager Don Waddell said he expects to return next season as the franchise began its evaluation process Sunday after failing to make the playoffs.

“I think I will be back next year,” Waddell said. “It’s just a matter of we have to figure some things out. We are disappointed we won’t be playing next week. Do I think we made strides this year? One hundred percent.”
This quote kills me too...

Quote:
Asked whether he could return in a different role, Waddell said: “I don’t know. We have time on our side to figure all that out. I’m sure in the near future, as soon as we figure it all out, we’ll let you know.”
Time is on our side?!?!? Hello...once again our offseason doesn't start after the playoffs. It has already started!! Get to work!

Everything this franchise does is "we are just fine with total crap every season"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...be-454545.html

Old
04-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Norm MacDonald

I hope to God this is true, but I'm skeptical about Dudley. I'd rather the Thrashers hire from outside the organization, maybe luring an assistant GM from a more successful franchise.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

no yzerman. let dudley do the talent evaluating aspects of gming and waddell do the contract negotiations and so forth. hire a coach that as proven they can win games at this level. preferably one that can use the kinds of players we already have.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
let dudley do the talent evaluating aspects of gming and waddell do the contract negotiations and so forth.
In other words, you want everything to stay the same in the front office? Unfathomable.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Fair point.

But purely from a sales/marketing perspective--if you're a free agent looking for a new NHL team which phone call would you take first? If you're a prospective NHL head coach, who would you trust?

Don Waddell 1 NHL game played, zero playoff wins in 10 NHL seasons.

Steve Yzerman 1,000+ NHL games, multiple Stanley Cups, Hall of Famer, etc.
yeah, but NHL career doesn't usually replicate to success in the front office/coaching ranks. For example...

Coach A
1487 games, multiple stanley cups, hall of Famer, 2000+ points.
As a coach-328 games, 143-161-24, no playoff appearances

Coach B
0 NHL games
As a coach-492 games, 282-139-19-52, 5 playoff appearances, 1 championship, 3 finals appearances.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
yeah, but NHL career doesn't usually replicate to success in the front office/coaching ranks. For example...

Coach A
1487 games, multiple stanley cups, hall of Famer, 2000+ points.
As a coach-328 games, 143-161-24, no playoff appearances

Coach B
0 NHL games
As a coach-492 games, 282-139-19-52, 5 playoff appearances, 1 championship, 3 finals appearances.
It is true that great players have not made for great management. Having said that I do think Waddell has suffered from having too much of a IHL background and not enough NHL background. In retrospect one year as Ast. GM in Detroit was probably not enough time to build up the NHL contacts that were needed.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:38 PM
KevFist
is best pony

falconer, I'd totally agree with that. Almost makes ya feel for D-Wad, because he took a job in a position he really wasn't qualified for. He was a brand new GM stuck on an expansion franchise. Honestly, it was a recipe for failure. Do you think that maybe he's got the experience he needs and should be judged on the last couple of years?

Old
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Boognish

Quote:
Honestly, this isn't the most attractive organization to work for, we're not at the top of anyone's list of desired workplaces.
Really? Is there a high chance of failure here? Unreasonable fan expectations? Is the pipeline totally devoid of NHL calibre players?

Seems to be that the only place this team can go is up.

You better check your pedestal. Stevie Y hasn't done squat as a GM beyond pick a fantasy squad. Thousands of poolies did the exact same thing.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Any move that removes Don Waddell from GM position is a good move but I hope he is removed from the team altogether.

Even as team president I fear he will have too much influence.

Also now that Tampa has fired their coach, thrashers need to make a decision soon on JA as well. We need to make sure that Tampa doesn't take the best coach available at the moment - whomever that may be. I think Michal Therrien could be a good fit for this team.

Closed Thread