HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Official 2010 Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
I think more then anything what happens with Legace will determine how our logjam plays out. If Legace comes back I think there's about a zero percent chance that Pogge is brought back. Doing the 1A/1B thing with Peters and Murphy worked out alright. Certainly not ideal going forward as I think Murphy is ready for a #1 AHL job, but Peters NHL readiness is a risk.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
I wish we win but if we don't win the lottery, I hope only the oilers win. I just don't want to see a southeast team win it or boston either.
I'm pulling for the Isles if we don't win. Followed by the Oilers. Last two teams I want to see win it are the Bolts and the Panthers. Panthers simply because I don't like them and Bolts because A they're in our division and B because... come the **** on, you already have Vinny, St Louis, Stamkos and Hedman. You don't need a 5th ****ing stud player.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
If we don't win it then I hope the Jackets or Isles do.

04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Guy

vCash: 200
Anybody but Florida or Tampa Bay. Obviously pulling for us.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

maybe they promised Vinik the #1 pick if he bought the Ning! and rescued the league from that terrible owner/mangement group. The pick would then allow them to safely deal Vinny for a Goalie and younger guys......Price anyone?? Its a Vinik-Habs conspiracy!

Old
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Yep, forgot about the Jackets. A win by them would help out in a big way too.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Scorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
If we don't win it then I hope the Jackets or Isles do.
I agree here(unless of course we win it). Moreso the Jackets than the Isles though.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yep, forgot about the Jackets. A win by them would help out in a big way too.
How does Columbus help us out if they win?

Old
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Keeps 1 & 2 in the West.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
caniac247

I'm all for Oilers, Islanders or Columbus winning it if we don't.

Tampa doesn't need it. Once they get the right people in there for GM/coach, that team is going to be lethal with Stamkos, Vinny, St Louis and Hedman. They don't need to add a Hall/Seguin/Fowler.

Florida because I just don't like them and their misery makes me laugh.

Boston I'm neutral on. I think it would be funny if they got it. Stupid Burke. But I'd rather they didn't because they are Boston.

Oilers need it in a big way. So they are my #1 pick. They have a hard time getting free agents there w/o having to overpay. And then when they finally get one, they want out in 2 years.

Columbus and Islanders are good choices as well.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Bumps Boston out of #2. Better chance of landing the forward we want (that's not named Seguin) plus, as stated by Wood, it moves the top 2 picks out west.

Old
04-13-2010, 04:30 PM
bleedgreen

i think we're getting a legit player at 7 and it couldve been worse - but our odds just get so much better at three. i like how we can move up to 4 pretty easy if we need to. ive gone all over the place, but im pretty convinced i want gormley. i think he is the best all around d guy, i think gudbranson is more of a project guy and i think fowler is a little over rated other than the skating. i think gormley is the best overall, good at everything guy. he may never be an all star but he could be a top 4, even top 2 guy for a long time. i dont mind if we overpay a little to upgrade to get him - i dont think he's gonna last that long but you never know. we would take fowler at 3 i bet. maybe someone really reaches for nino ahead of us and gormley drops. wouldnt surprise me if jr doesnt take him even if he was available at 7.

Old
04-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I'm not happy with Edmonton winning it in the first place. They had devastating injuries this year and it's a large reason why they sucked so badly.

And if they continued to have those same injuries year after year, then by all means, give them the 1st overall. But in all likelihood, they'll be the relatively healthy playoff team they were before the injuries, except they'll have Hall or Seguin to go along with them.

Old
04-13-2010, 05:22 PM
totalkev

I can't believe how many electrons are being horribly inconvenienced so that we can talk about a backup goalie.

One other thing, before we start judging the kids "readiness" for next season's training camp, hopefully they will have played a bunch of playoff games between now and then. I think this will go a long way in deciding stuff ... including our ultra-important backup goalie.

Old
04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
bleedgreen

to me it comes down to how ready we are going into next season. if we're competing for the cup, then legace is one of the best backups we've ever had and we should go with him. if we are ok with being young next year, and want to let the kids dictate how far we go then peters is the choice. i thinkthis team always thinks its going for the cup regardless of how bad we are, so in that case legace stays. i dont mind it at all really, he and ward are as good a tandem right now as we've had. flip side being i dont think peters deserves to be in the ahl anymore.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

maybe Peters gets dealt with a pick to upgrade the pick. Sure AHL goalies typically dont have much trade value but if it was packaged with a pick.......could you upgrade a full round or at least half a round? IMO the team would be better off with Manny for another season....and Murphy is coming fast, he may be in the ballpark of ready after 1 more full season in the A especially if he is allowed to shoulder a bigger load.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
It's now or never for Pete dog. If he's not our backup next season, then we should let him go elsewhere. He has been "seasoned", enough. If you think he has what it takes, then give him the job. If not, let him go find a job elsewhere. It's unfair to the guy to continue to have him play in a developmental league when we don't trust in his ability to play at the next level.

Legace could fall apart at any moment. There was a reason he had to sign an independent contract with an AHL squad to continue playing this season.

We need somebody that can push Ward for starts and actually get them. We simply can't allow Ward to start 65-70 games next season and expect him to not falter at some points. I think that Peters is a more viable option to spell Ward for periods of time. He needs that push by a contemporary that is hungry for starts.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

I trust Legace more...but I do agree. It is now or never for Peters

Old
04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I feel the same as bleedgreen regarding the backup goaltender. Either or really, depending on our chosen direction. No choice is the wrong one. With that said, I aswell really like the tandem of Ward and Legace.

Before the Draft Lottery kicks off here, I'd like to say I have a real strong feeling the Hockey Gods are in our corner and will bring us the 3rd or 4th pick.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Also in addition to my Arturs Irbe/Ward card collection I can add Legace because I have always liked him. One more year and he should get some more cards with him in a Canes jersey....so do it JR resign him.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

here are our options:

3rd: ~5%
7th: ~85%
8th: ~10%

Old
04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

We lose.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Gr8Dan

Nothing changed, i'm alright with that

Old
04-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Guy

vCash: 200
Florida didn't win, I'm satisfied.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
totalkev

7 it is ... that was much ado about no change ... unless no. 13 moved up to no. 9 ... they didn't really say

EDIT: OK, now they did.

Closed Thread