HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

It's that time of year again.

I'm not nearly as high on him as most people but Sheldon Souray is somebody who really intrigues me.

Last I heard of him, he was only willing to waive his no-trade clause for a few teams. Columbus wasn't mentioned as one of the teams, but apparently he really wants out of Edmonton I can't say for sure if he'd come to Columbus, but he could be given the Bryan McCabe treatment (Toronto made life very difficult for McCabe, all but forcing him to accept a trade to Florida.)

He's got 2 years left on his deal at a 5.4 million cap hit. The contract was front-loaded, so he'll actually only be paid 4.5 million dollars during the final 2 years.

It remains to be seen what the market is for him. Guys in these situations (McCabe, Heatley, Pronger) typically go for below-market value. If that's the case here, I'd love for Howson to take a flier on him. This years defensive UFAs (excluding guys like Lidstrom and Niedermayer who aren't coming here) is pretty weak, so if the blueline gets fixed, it'll have to come through trades.

04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

It begins!

July 1st can't get here soon enough.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Provided the price is reasonable, I'm all for adding Souray. Dude has one serious slapshot.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
CapnCornelius

Don't expect these owners to spend any money. Gotta look poor for their government handout, you know?

Old
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Here's some fun for you:

I recently "agreed" that Brian Lee and the rights to pending UFA Anton Volchenkov, plus some other piecey-part(s), would be enough to get me to consider swapping first-rounders this year with OTT. I realize neither pick is yet fixed, and I also said it would only work if CBJ is drafting no better than 5th.

I followed up by saying that, if I were Howson, I would then begin working to move back up in the first round.

I also recently "agreed" to move Filatov, Blunden and a 2001 2nd rounder for Kris Letang.

Of course, neither of these is going to happen. But, in combination, they mark only the beginning of a serious remake on the blueline. Subsequent, some combination of Stralman, Klesla and Methot can be moved for whatever assets they could fetch. Perhaps even Hejda. Or Tyutin (but I wouldn't do it.) Any of which would help "pay" for Volchenkov.

Volchenkov-Tyutin
Hejda/Klesla-Letang
Commodore-Russell
Stralman/Methot

Old
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Provided the price is reasonable, I'm all for adding Souray. Dude has one serious slapshot.
I dont know about him, the veteran guy we brought in with that kind of power, we never saw it used (Modin). I think we past trying to add just because of one specific skill.

If Souray wants moved because of Edmonton's management, I don't think he'd be any happier here in Columbus.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:36 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Here's some fun for you:

I recently "agreed" that Brian Lee and the rights to pending UFA Anton Volchenkov, plus some other piecey-part(s), would be enough to get me to consider swapping first-rounders this year with OTT. I realize neither pick is yet fixed, and I also said it would only work if CBJ is drafting no better than 5th.

I followed up by saying that, if I were Howson, I would then begin working to move back up in the first round.

I also recently "agreed" to move Filatov, Blunden and a 2001 2nd rounder for Kris Letang.

Of course, neither of these is going to happen. But, in combination, they mark only the beginning of a serious remake on the blueline. Subsequent, some combination of Stralman, Klesla and Methot can be moved for whatever assets they could fetch. Perhaps even Hejda. Or Tyutin (but I wouldn't do it.) Any of which would help "pay" for Volchenkov.

Volchenkov-Tyutin
Hejda/Klesla-Letang
Commodore-Russell
Stralman/Methot
I think something has to give on defense. Methot seems like a guy who could well be on the move. I believe this is Hejda's last year on his contract, so, barring an extension, that could make for an interesting year. I can't imagine any team that would be interested in the injury-prone Klesla. Stralman is probably safe for another season, but if the Jackets acquire a guy like Folwer or even Gudbranson and John Moore plays a season in the minors, you have to think Howson won't want to commit too long to Stralman.

When does Commie's NMC end? If it is over this summer, I would consider re-entry waivers as an option if he struggles out of the gate again.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I dont know about him, the veteran guy we brought in with that kind of power, we never saw it used (Modin). I think we past trying to add just because of one specific skill.

If Souray wants moved because of Edmonton's management, I don't think he'd be any happier here in Columbus.
That's not remotely close to what the article said....

He said that management has thrown him under a bus. Seems to me that it's primarily an Edmonton problem.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Volchenkov and Tyutin could easily be a shut down pair. I also think Gonchar and Tyutin could be a very good pair. Gonchar is too rich for the CBJ though.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

Old
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Quote:

Souray is more than just a slap-shot; he's tough, willling to stick up for his teammates by dropping the gloves, and is a leader. Columbus could do much worse than adding a guy like him for a couple of years.

I also don't see why you are putting Edmonton and Columbus in the same category re: how management treats their players. Is it simply because Howson came from the Oilers?

Edit: This could be our golden opportunity to move Commodore.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 04-12-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I think something has to give on defense. Methot seems like a guy who could well be on the move. I believe this is Hejda's last year on his contract, so, barring an extension, that could make for an interesting year. I can't imagine any team that would be interested in the injury-prone Klesla. Stralman is probably safe for another season, but if the Jackets acquire a guy like Folwer or even Gudbranson and John Moore plays a season in the minors, you have to think Howson won't want to commit too long to Stralman.

When does Commie's NMC end? If it is over this summer, I would consider re-entry waivers as an option if he struggles out of the gate again.
Stralman won't be around next season if you ask me... Hedja will be gone after next season if he struggles again. CBJgirl put this up, it will come in handy here.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CLB

We need two new defenseman and have six signed for next season, Howson might be counting on Moore to make the team then he needs only one. He will have to trade one or two of our six defenseman in order to have the money for a top four FA.. all of this may have been discussed already I'm just recapping my thoughts. I'm not expecting our 2010 first round pick to make the team.

Last edited by Robert: 04-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I think he meant they would have their choice between Jackman and:

Old
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post

I really snookered 'em!

(2011)

Old
04-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Skraut

So, according to some, we still need a first line center...

Playoff experience optional.

I submit:

Old
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Some quick hits on why Sheldon Souray is a bum:

Played 59% of his total games in 3 years as an Oiler.

Scored 0 goals on the Power Play this season.

Demands a trade because of management, only wants to go to certain teams.

$5.4 million for two years left on contract (36 years old when it's over).

Has a rather sorted history of getting injured (including concussions).

Career +/- is a -52 as a defenseman.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
That's not remotely close to what the article said....

He said that management has thrown him under a bus. Seems to me that it's primarily an Edmonton problem.
Is that basically what I said? He wants out because of the Oilers management. He may feel the same way, coming here, if he feels that management "Soured" on him... I could easily see how a player could feel "soured" in Columbus....

I would rather not see "Sour"-ay in a Jackets uni anyways, mainly due to what Dru posted above.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 04-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Is that basically what I said? He wants out because of the Oilers management.
You said he wants out because of management.

He said it's because of management that he wants out.

Geesh.

Old
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I dunno. I think Souray might be a decent stopgap while we cross fingers and hope that Moore and Goloubef develop and improve (random side note: Atkinson's awesomeness came to some extent at Goloubef's expense, which has me a tad worried - he is, after all, a CBJ second-round pick!). I've been wanting someone like him for a while now.

The injury history does have me a little concerned, although I'm perfectly happy to presume that he was telling the truth when he alleged it was because he was rushed back.

Also, back end of a front-loaded contract FTW.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
04-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:
Is that basically what I said? He wants out because of the Oilers management.
I meant that it's more because of this specific case. He's pissy because he feels that Edmonton "gave up on him."

I really don't see how that problem would transfer over to Columbus. If anything, you can argue that CBJ is too loyal to some of their players.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
RDriesenUD

I like this idea.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...7&postcount=25

Old
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I saw that, also. I'd be down with dealing Filatov for Colbourne.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I'd rather have Roszival out of NY than Souray. Cheaper (both in caphit and actual salary), cheaper to trade for, isn't injured all the time. Souray would be Modin 2.0 here

Old
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
I'd rather have Roszival out of NY than Souray. Cheaper (both in caphit and actual salary), cheaper to trade for, isn't injured all the time. Souray would be Modin 2.0 here
Rozy's contract is finally reaching sane levels. Cap hit is still stupid, but we don't actually care about that.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I was more inclined towards taking the Cam Barker deal suggested in that thread, but, hey, Colborne's good too.

Closed Thread