HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dispatch Mind Control Thread

Old
04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Dispatch Mind Control Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It's more than AP, Arace has chimed in as well. But you make a good point, Howson has not told anyone that I know of he's going to hire Dineen.

The speculation is founded on solid ground imo though, Dineen is mentioned as NHL ready in many media circles, is well known and liked by most CBJ fans, is an ex Jacket player which is something the team needs (roots), has said he will return to coach the Jackets if asked, a winner as coach in Portland, and Howson appears to be in a "start over" mood if one looks at Syracuse...

All indications point to Dineen as being the #1 candidate but that doesn't mean he will be.
I just think its funny how the local media know-nothings, who insisted many of us were idiots for suggesting Hitch should be fired...and simultaneously poo-pooed the possibility of Dineen taking over...are now suggesting that Dineen is the front-runner for the job.

Our beat reporters have to be some of the least knowledgeable in the league about the sport they report on. Their shallow knowledge comes from what is fed to them by the Jackets PR department and it makes it next to impossible for them to do any serious, critical analysis of a situation like this.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Ludicrous Speed

I do also find it funny that something will be mentioned around here, and then soon after that, AP writes an article summarizing the feelings on HF.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I do also find it funny that something will be mentioned around here, and then soon after that, AP writes an article summarizing the feelings on HF.
One instance in particular sticks out in my mind from this season. I mentioned in a post that Commie's conditioning issues seemed to follow his "birthday bash." They did an article on Commodore which touched on the possibility (and, of course, shot it down with no further evidence other than Commie's own opinion) within the week.

So, if you guys are reading this, maybe you can do an in-depth article about why few players in the NHL use the Murphy dump on PK and few goalies play the puck the way Tommy Barrasso did in the new NHL when the new rules enforcement regime clearly favors these strategies.

Old
04-16-2010, 11:38 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
One instance in particular sticks out in my mind from this season. I mentioned in a post that Commie's conditioning issues seemed to follow his "birthday bash." They did an article on Commodore which touched on the possibility (and, of course, shot it down with no further evidence other than Commie's own opinion) within the week.
I find it difficult to believe that they weren't able (like you, me and everyone else) to connect the two on their own.

Maybe your post wasn't such the original thought that you assume. (most aren't. I know I had the same thoughts that your post conveyed)

Maybe if you keep bashing them we'll see some evidence that they are paying attention to you!

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I find it funny how you guys ***** and rag so much on writers who spend so much time to keep the fans informed on a daily basis. I for one would hate if puckrakers was no longer around because I think those guys to a great job of keeping us informed. I think you all way over-exaggerate about them having no knowledge of what is going on. Truth is they talk to people and they know a hell of a lot more than any of us and they relay that information to us. Just because it isn't always the right answers doesn't mean that something wasn't talked about. I'm glad they read these boards because it gives them a chance to be more personable with there blog updates. They report on the topics we want to hear and I think they should be applauded for that.

I hope Dineen is the guy because he seems like a great person and from his track record he could turn into a very good coach. He is one of the only coaches out there that I know of who responds to emails from the fans, and before someone says a smartass comment; no I'm not saying he should be considered because he responds to emails.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Ludicrous Speed

DougRiffle is AP (e5)

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I find it funny how you guys ***** and rag so much on writers who spend so much time to keep the fans informed on a daily basis. I for one would hate if puckrakers was no longer around because I think those guys to a great job of keeping us informed.
Yes, they break important things like what color jerseys guys are wearing a practice. Or what lines Hitchcock had out in the morning, which would apply for, maybe, the first 5 minutes of the game. There job is sooo hard. It'd be even harder if they put in some extra time to research even the most basic things.

Quote:
I think you all way over-exaggerate about them having no knowledge of what is going on. Truth is they talk to people and they know a hell of a lot more than any of us and they relay that information to us.
No, they don't know more than us. They may have different information than we have from sources we don't have, but their hockey knowledge is poor. They know little to nothing about the history of the game and very little outside the bubble that is the Columbus Blue Jackets. When they did their analysis of other teams last off-season, I just laughed. They really have very little knowledge of other teams outside of the latest TSN headlines or the media guide they received prior to the game they are covering. They are great at relaying information alright--the vast majority of their work is water carrying for the Jackets PR department.

Quote:
Just because it isn't always the right answers doesn't mean that something wasn't talked about.
I'd cut them more slack if it weren't for the fact that they like to pretend they know more than they do and then shoot-down things from this board because the Jackets PR department wants to pretend all is right when the world even when it isn't. The whole Hitch saga was a perfect example of this. After the fact, we find out that, yes, Hitch's dismissal was discussed as early as December. But what were the beat reporters saying at that time? That the Jackets had not given any thought to removing Hitch and that people on this Board were idiots for suggesting such a thing. I guess 1,000 morons were better than 3 in this case.

Quote:
I'm glad they read these boards because it gives them a chance to be more personable with there blog updates. They report on the topics we want to hear and I think they should be applauded for that.
I'd like to see them be pro-active instead of re-active. It shouldn't take discussion on this board for the beat reporters to look at things objectively/critically.

I'm glad that they finally think Dineen is a worthy candidate now that they have been told so by the Jackets PR staff. But, the fact is, when it was people on this Board suggesting it, we were just 1,000 morons as far as they were concerned.

Old
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Our beat reporters have to be some of the least knowledgeable in the league about the sport they report on. Their shallow knowledge comes from what is fed to them by the Jackets PR department and it makes it next to impossible for them to do any serious, critical analysis of a situation like this.
Quote:
You think these guys know so little about hockey that they take their lead from you? That really is hilarious! Reed and Arace covered the Pens and Whalers, respectively, and Portzline is often referenced in national hockey discussions. You? Not so much. You make a distinctive contribution, here. Be satisfied with that.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:34 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Reed and Arace covered the Pens and Whalers, respectively, and Portzline is often referenced in national hockey discussions.
Who references Portzline in "national hockey discussions?" I don't know where you get this idea. Do you think fans of other teams are aware of who Portzline is? Adrian Dater, Michael Russo, Rob Rossi, and the infamous Bruce Garrioch are known outside of their markets. I don't hear anyone talking about Aaron Portzline outside of this discussion board.

Old
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
You think these guys know so little about hockey that they take their lead from you? That really is hilarious! Reed and Arace covered the Pens and Whalers, respectively, and Portzline is often referenced in national hockey discussions. You? Not so much. You make a distinctive contribution, here. Be satisfied with that.
If any of us were a beat writer in a single-paper town, we'd be referenced too. But that's neither here nor there.

It's just hard to separate their personal biases from the factual information. They're throwing Dineen's name out a lot and while I don't doubt that he's a top candidate, they're making it seem like he's all but officially Jackets coach.

If someone other then Dineen is named coach, you're going to see a lot of *****ing (at least more then usual). And I'll be blaming Puck-Rakers.

04-16-2010, 12:50 PM
blahblah

He's the popular pick, easy to get behind and pimp. Recognizable. I'm not sure if I blame anyone for the complaints of others. People are going to complain.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Who references Portzline in "national hockey discussions?" I don't know where you get this idea. Do you think fans of other teams are aware of who Portzline is? Adrian Dater, Michael Russo, Rob Rossi, and the infamous Bruce Garrioch are known outside of their markets. I don't hear anyone talking about Aaron Portzline outside of this discussion board.
Seen him mentioned on TSN as a source, and he also contributes to The Hockey News.

And for the record, I have no idea who these Russo and Rossi people you refer to are. I know Garrioch only because he gets laughed at a lot on the trade mains. I know Dater only because of the Adam Foote situation.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
If someone other then Dineen is named coach, you're going to see a lot of *****ing (at least more then usual). And I'll be blaming Puck-Rakers.
But, you can gain comfort from their track record on these types of decisions. I mean, Marty Reasoner has been key for us, and I'm so glad that we never had any discussions about the possibility of Olli Jokinen wearing red, white and blue.

Old
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
If any of us were a beat writer in a single-paper town, we'd be referenced too. But that's neither here nor there.

It's just hard to separate their personal biases from the factual information. They're throwing Dineen's name out a lot and while I don't doubt that he's a top candidate, they're making it seem like he's all but officially Jackets coach.

I'd be interested in finding out if there's any hockey beat writers out there that don't have that reputation.

Seriously, this is becoming like the "line shuffling" debate - everybody condemns their coach for doing it, and completely ignores the fact that it's true of just about everybody.

Old
04-16-2010, 12:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Seen him mentioned on TSN as a source, and he also contributes to The Hockey News.
So, TSN mentioned the Columbus beat writer as a source on a rumor about the Columbus Blue Jackets. Impressive.

I've yet to see his contributions to THN.

Old
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I'd be interested in finding out if there's any hockey beat writers out there that don't have that reputation.

Seriously, this is becoming like the "line shuffling" debate - everybody condemns their coach for doing it, and completely ignores the fact that it's true of just about everybody.
I'd just like to point out at this time that there are mods on other boards who are Nazi-communist-dictator-iron-fisted-know-nothings as well. Thank you. That is all.

So, that Guy Boucher is kinda kooky.

Old
blahblah

Quote:
But, you can gain comfort from their track record on these types of decisions. I mean, Marty Reasoner has been key for us, and I'm so glad that we never had any discussions about the possibility of Olli Jokinen wearing red, white and blue.
And let's not forget Comrie has been key to our success as well.

Old
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And let's not forget Comrie has been key to our success as well.
Is there a point here, blah? I don't recall ever stating emphatically that I had inside information that Mike Comrie was being considered by the Jackets.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:07 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Is there a point here, blah? I don't recall ever stating emphatically that I had inside information that Mike Comrie was being considered by the Jackets.
Just food for thought.

So are you saying is that Howson never mentioned they considered OJ after he was traded at the draft?

Old
04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
So, TSN mentioned the Columbus beat writer as a source on a rumor about the Columbus Blue Jackets. Impressive.

I've yet to see his contributions to THN.
He writes just about everything Columbus-related for them. His byline is on team previews and information updates.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Just food for thought.
Or just your grinding the old axe? Food for thought.

Quote:
So are you saying is that Howson never mentioned they considered OJ after he was traded at the draft?
No, I'm saying that our intrepid reporters emphatically proclaimed as gospel that Howie had no interest in OJ...and then, after the fact, Howson stated that he did approach Florida about him.

And herein lies the difference between the opinion of discussion board posters and beat writers--when I post something here, no one presumes that I have inside knowledge. When a beat writer states that Coach X is going to replace Hitch or that the team has "absolutely no interest" in Player Y, there is an assumption that they are basing this on a credible source within the organization. And, if they aren't, and it is merely their opinion, they should state that. I haven't read their latest Dineen piece (I've got no interest in people who want to call those on this board morons only to look moronic after the fact when they hurry to take the same viewpoint because it is popular) but if they are putting it out there as something other than opinion and it turns out they are wrong, they should be accountable for that and it will negatively impact their credibility.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:19 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
He writes just about everything Columbus-related for them. His byline is on team previews and information updates.
So, he's the beat writer who wanted to take the supplemental income by writing some extra stuff on the Blue Jackets?

This does not equate to being somehow nationally recognized or lauded.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:34 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Or just your grinding the old axe? Food for thought.
Not at all, just noticed you throwing out the big guns. Nobody's perfect.

Quote:
No, I'm saying that our intrepid reporters emphatically proclaimed as gospel that Howie had no interest in OJ...and then, after the fact, Howson stated that he did approach Florida about him.
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that's where you were going with it.

Anyone who thinks any beat writer has inside knowledge is just asking to be misinformed and deserve what they get. What I have an issue with is that they seem silly enough to take their "insider" knowledge and they actually seem to believe it.

They are also very slow at putting two and two together.

However they are accurate on a great deal of what they report, so I'm not going to worry about the few things they are wrong on in the world of rumor. I just wish they could identify fact from something that is fact at that moment.

Old
04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
There is no point in arguing about the dispatch guys. Those of you who ***** so much about them and claim they have no hockey knowledge should just stay away from the blog then. I hate to say it but they know a lot more about the sport than you give them credit for. The whole OJ thing I still don't think Howson had any interest in him. If he did he could have easily acquired him it's not like he went for a steep price. I appreciate them keeping me informed on what is happening daily with the team, I guess some of you don't.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
I hate to say it but they know a lot more about the sport than you give them credit for.
I give them credit for being beat writers and the knowledge that comes along with that. I've heard enough wrong information in their podcasts to know they are not as knowledgeable as they (or you) think they are.

They did a decent job of listing some possible candidates and identifying a front runner. Their readers want to know who they think the front runner is, so they gave it to them. No biggie.