HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Really good one year, sucked the next, perhaps we should give him a third season to show us which Commie was the real one. Just my $.02.

Unless a good offer comes up for a #1 Dman or #1 Center that sees him going the other way. I may be one of the few on this board that still likes Commie, but business is business.
No thanks. Let some other team see what he will be this year. We keep waiting for players to "SHOW" us what they can do. Why don't we go get some players who can just "DO IT".

Old
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
No thanks. Let some other team see what he will be this year. We keep waiting for players to "SHOW" us what they can do. Why don't we go get some players who can just "DO IT".
I do see your point. I dunno, I just think Commie's 2nd year was the abberation. But, like I said, I'm one of the few here that still likes the big lug, so my judgment might be swayed in his favor because of that.

Old
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why don't we go get some players who can just "DO IT".
Isn't Commie one who has actually "DONE IT"? He's won a Cup, played in more than 50 playoff games, and was part of the CBJ's first entry into the post-season. So how does one tell who will be able to continue to "do it" every year?

Old
06-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Commodore was not the only one to have a bad year. Do we just get rid of half the team?

There are always players, even on the very good teams that have bad years.

Old
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Isn't Commie one who has actually "DONE IT"? He's won a Cup, played in more than 50 playoff games, and was part of the CBJ's first entry into the post-season. So how does one tell who will be able to continue to "do it" every year?
You don't get the point. We have a lot of player who HAVE done it. They DON'T do it consistently. We need guys who DO IT CONSISTENTLY. Guys who we can count on.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 06-10-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Commodore was not the only one to have a bad year. Do we just get rid of half the team?

There are always players, even on the very good teams that have bad years.
No, but how many of them are as likely as Commy to be just as bad, overpaid, and aren't young?

Old
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
I do see your point. I dunno, I just think Commie's 2nd year was the abberation. But, like I said, I'm one of the few here that still likes the big lug, so my judgment might be swayed in his favor because of that.
That is cool. I don't think he will get better, I don't like him, and I want guys who can skate better. We both have our biases. I just think he is more likely to play like year 2 than he is to play like year 1.

Old
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i thought he played well towards the end of the season after he finally go into a shape besides round...like said above, if we can get a legit #1/2 dman and he's part of the return, then ok, but if not I will give him the benefit of doubt that he's going to return back into the Commie from two years ago...

Old
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
That is cool. I don't think he will get better, I don't like him, and I want guys who can skate better. We both have our biases. I just think he is more likely to play like year 2 than he is to play like year 1.
It's your right to call it however you see it, and can't say as I disagree with you. But since it's unlikely we are going to be able to move him all we can do is hope with Win that he does return to the form he showed his year one and makes a valuable contribution to our PLAYOFF run. Would be nice to be able to think of him as our very own "big wall at the back end". OK.... how about a solid shut down def?

Old
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You don't get the point. We have a lot of player who HAVE done it. They DON't do it consistently. We need guys who DO IT CONSISTENTLY. Guys who we can count on.
Yeah, I get the point. The question remains:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
So how does one tell who will be able to continue to "do it" every year?
If it was that easy, everyone would have a totally consistent roster and we would know what to expect out of every player on every team.

It isn't, they aren't, and we don't.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:21 AM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

I wouldn't mind seeing Commodore traded. I like a lot of the things I've seen on the ice from him. He had a bad year, yes. However, players have bad years, and none of that bothers me as much as when Hitch thought he was in good enough shape to play and he pretty much refused, because he felt he wasn't physically fit enough to play. Well, that should have been taken care of in the off season. A few days halfway through isn't going to make up for a wasted summer.

Old
06-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Commodore traded. I like a lot of the things I've seen on the ice from him. He had a bad year, yes. However, players have bad years, and none of that bothers me as much as when Hitch thought he was in good enough shape to play and he pretty much refused, because he felt he wasn't physically fit enough to play. Well, that should have been taken care of in the off season. A few days halfway through isn't going to make up for a wasted summer.
I'm not sure the fitness question was the only thing going on with Hitch and Commie. I'm not sure we'll ever know. But there is a new season coming, we'll see what kind of shape he reports to camp in this year. He's gotta know he's on everybody's radar and with a new coach let's hope and you would think, he's at his best. If not then there's a real dilemma, if you can't trade him what do you do with the roster spot?

Old
06-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Assuming trades is/are the way Howson will look to upgrade the roster (if possible) this offseason, here is one poster's attempt to sum things up:

Center

Four centers for whom I'd be willing to make significant offers:
Spezza
Carter
Krejci
B. Richards

Some of those would likely have to include some combination of Brassard, Filatov and the top pick. But I wouldn't offer all three in any deal. A couple would likely require a significant contract to be sent out. I wouldn't make the same offer for any of those guys, but would be willing to make some kind of offer for each.

Beyond this list, I'd rather stick with what we've got. (You could probably convince me on Jumbo Joe, but it would take some convincing.)

Defense
I see a bunch of defensemen who may or may not be obtainable in trade, but honestly, not that many for whom I'd make a significant offer - at least not that many that I believe could be had.

A working list of guys (meaning I'm not really sold on all of them) who would seem to be an upgrade to the blueline and might be obtainable (for the right price):
Kaberle
Roszival
Pitkanen
Wideman
J. Johnson
Bieksa (eh)
Regher
Zidlicky
Gilbert
Whitney

My assumption is this list would be a lot longer if I had a better handle on who Howson might target. I'd like to hear who other posters think is missing.

Other
Personally, I'd make some kind of offer for Kris Versteeg. The team needs as many guys who can play in a variety of situations as possible and who bring multiple strengths to the table. He'd be, if you will, a second RJ.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

Other
Personally, I'd make some kind of offer for Kris Versteeg. The team needs as many guys who can play in a variety of situations as possible and who bring multiple strengths to the table. He'd be, if you will, a second RJ.
What about that Emmanuel Malhotra guy in San Jose. I hear he can play multiple roles too. Might even be able to pinch hit on the 1st line if needed.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
What about that Emmanuel Malhotra guy in San Jose. I hear he can play multiple roles too. Might even be able to pinch hit on the 1st line if needed.
True story:
This is my "trades" post. I had planned a "FA" post for this afternoon. Want to guess which center's name will appear?

Nice work, Skraut.

Old
06-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Assuming trades is/are the way Howson will look to upgrade the roster (if possible) this offseason, here is one poster's attempt to sum things up:

Defense
I see a bunch of defensemen who may or may not be obtainable in trade, but honestly, not that many for whom I'd make a significant offer - at least not that many that I believe could be had.

A working list of guys (meaning I'm not really sold on all of them) who would seem to be an upgrade to the blueline and might be obtainable (for the right price):
Kaberle
Roszival
Pitkanen
Wideman
J. Johnson
Bieksa (eh)
Regher
Zidlicky
Gilbert
Whitney

My assumption is this list would be a lot longer if I had a better handle on who Howson might target. I'd like to hear who other posters think is missing.
Ian White ?

Old
06-11-2010, 12:05 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
True story:
This is my "trades" post. I had planned a "FA" post for this afternoon. Want to guess which center's name will appear?

Nice work, Skraut.
Will Jason Williams also be on the forthcoming list? I've said it before, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in Union Blue again...

Old
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
rockinghockey

Your 1st round to Edm

I know that your team needs a centreman. What about something like Krejci and Cogliano for your 1st round pick. This gives you a legit 1st line centreman to play with Nash and Cogliano to play in your top 6.

If not what else would it take.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Skraut

How would we get Krejci from Edmonton?

Old
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Gagner would need to be in the equation.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Should Howson feel compelled to dip into free agency this summer, here's my take:

Center
I don't like the fourth-line pivot spot at all based on what's on the roster/in the system. One guy I would target is (drumroll unnecessary) Manny Malhotra. If you could get him in for $1.5 mil for 4 years or something and have his cap hit start higher and end lower, he'd be perfect. We can fuss about how much you're paying a 4th liner til the cows come home, but a guy like Manny is invaluable and fits with what most expect Arniel to want to do on the ice.

Year sure there might be other guys who could fit here but this is my post and I'm saying Manny or nothing.

Defense
Gotta say that there are probably 20 or so players who could help and be signed to reasonable deals but what are you gonna do with 'em unless you move a guy out? My guess is Howson doesn't do anything if he can't make a trade.

Other

More nothing.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I know that your team needs a centreman. What about something like Krejci and Cogliano for your 1st round pick. This gives you a legit 1st line centreman to play with Nash and Cogliano to play in your top 6.

If not what else would it take.
1. Edmonton has a legit-first line center?
2. What Skraut said.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
B]Center[/B]
I don't like the fourth-line pivot spot at all based on what's on the roster/in the system. One guy I would target is (drumroll unnecessary) Manny Malhotra. If you could get him in for $1.5 mil for 4 years or something and have his cap hit start higher and end lower, he'd be perfect. We can fuss about how much you're paying a 4th liner til the cows come home, but a guy like Manny is invaluable and fits with what most expect Arniel to want to do on the ice.

Year sure there might be other guys who could fit here but this is my post and I'm saying Manny or nothing.
What about Matthew Lombardi? His name seems to be kicked around every time he's a UFA and this year should be no exception. Considering he's a fast skaters, has played and found chemistry with Nash before, and could be had for around or under $3 million a season, I think Howson should float out an offer. He's not a true #1 center but could be a good fit for this team.

And there's always Olli Jokinen, who might take a significant pay-cut to play a #1 role on an NHL team. Risky but when you look at the history of centers on Columbus he would automatically be one of the best we've ever had. However, he's not really the play-maker we need on the first line with Nasher.

P.S. As far as trades go, I think Patrice Bergeron could be the odd man out in Boston if they draft Tyler Seguin—He's another guy who's had some ice time with Rick Nash.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
What about Matthew Lombardi? His name seems to be kicked around every time he's a UFA and this year should be no exception. Considering he's a fast skaters, has played and found chemistry with Nash before, and could be had for around or under $3 million a season, I think Howson should float out an offer. He's not a true #1 center but could be a good fit for this team.

And there's always Olli Jokinen, who might take a significant pay-cut to play a #1 role on an NHL team. Risky but when you look at the history of centers on Columbus he would automatically be one of the best we've ever had. However, he's not really the play-maker we need on the first line with Nasher.

P.S. As far as trades go, I think Patrice Bergeron could be the odd man out in Boston if they draft Tyler Seguin—He's another guy who's had some ice time with Rick Nash.
I want nothing to do with Bergeron or Jokinen.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
I want nothing to do with Bergeron or Jokinen.
Bergeron is a great player, I have no idea why you wouldn't want him here.

Closed Thread