HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
And there's always Olli Jokinen, who might take a significant pay-cut to play a #1 role on an NHL team. Risky but when you look at the history of centers on Columbus he would automatically be one of the best we've ever had. However, he's not really the play-maker we need on the first line with Nasher.

Old
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Bergeron is a great player, I have no idea why you wouldn't want him here.
He is a very good player, but his next concussion may sideline him for good.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
He is a very good player, but his next concussion may sideline him for good.
He would only have 1 year left on his contract. If he got his clock cleaned durning the season we simply wouldn't resign him. If Patrice Bergeron is available come draft day I think you have to kick the tires. I would hope Howson would at least think about it anyhow.

RE: Jokinen, I don't really want him either. I was just floating his name out there because he's a free agent. I'd take Lombardi over him 7 days a week.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Bergeron is a great player, I have no idea why you wouldn't want him here.
One year left on his contract and will be looking for a raise. That's pretty much the only snag, I think he's fully recovered from the concussion.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I personally hope we keep it. How many "franchise" defeseman are in a draft? We need to at least try to get one to play with Moore sometime.

By the way, saying we keep the pick. Will the pick play in Juniors? Or would the Jackets give him a shot at the AHL or maybe NHL if he makes it?

Old
06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Hey guys, I assume this is the place for this question but correct me if I'm wrong..

Word on the internet is that Scott Howson might look to unload the BJ's 4th overall pick for some immediate help.

What sort of return would you be looking for, and if it returns more than one player how big of an issue would it be for one of them to be a winger?

Old
06-11-2010, 01:15 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Hey guys, I assume this is the place for this question but correct me if I'm wrong..

Word on the internet is that Scott Howson might look to unload the BJ's 4th overall pick for some immediate help.

What sort of return would you be looking for, and if it returns more than one player how big of an issue would it be for one of them to be a winger?
Wouldn't be a big issue. The Jackets need a number 1 defeseman.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I personally hope we keep it. How many "franchise" defeseman are in a draft? We need to at least try to get one to play with Moore sometime.

By the way, saying we keep the pick. Will the pick play in Juniors? Or would the Jackets give him a shot at the AHL or maybe NHL if he makes it?
Whoever is drafted is not eligible to play in the AHL next year. There is a very good chance that they will be going back to their Junior team.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:

The price of the pick to the Canucks is something you wouldn't want to give up, namely Alex Edler.

Old
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Have you posted that before? Your passion is becoming engaged...

I want a center for Nash for one reason, to once and for all prove that Rick Nash needs more than an all-star center to play like he does on Team Canada ice..

Old
06-11-2010, 02:10 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Wouldn't be a big issue. The Jackets need a number 1 defeseman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
The price of the pick to the Canucks is something you wouldn't want to give up, namely Alex Edler.
Yeah I wouldn't trade Edler. Specifically because he is the only blueliner we have signed past next season.

What about - and let me finish before you click reply - Mason Raymond and Kevin Bieksa?

Bieksa is an effective offensive contributor, he plays with grit and he stands up for his teammates. He is maligned in Vancouver because of his success as a defensive player under a very tight system in 2006-07 but I think that if you expect an offensive defenseman who can play in other roles for short stretches he will deliver on those expectations and then some. In his two full seasons he's led the Canucks defense in powerplay goals and points, one year he was first in even strength goals and second in ES points and the other was vice versa. Last year he struggled to produce those numbers, partly because he played a stretch at forward while we were missing a boatload of players and partly because he was tried again in a more defensive role with Christian Ehrhoff taking the reigns as a puck rushing defender. Still, on a team where he has the mandate to help the offense he should return to form and he should be a bargain - of all UFA defensemen only five scored more than 35 points and four of them made over $5m.

As for Mason Raymond, he just scored 25 goals in his second full season and was the Canucks most effective regular forward on the powerplay - although he often plays the point. He is defensively responsible and can play the PK, and he can be surprisingly feisty although at his weight he isn't exactly a punishing hitter. He is up for a new contract which should come in around $3m/year.

I figure this gives CBJ a pair of guys who can play the point on the powerplay, one of which is a top six winger who is an excellent territorial player and fits the age group of the rest of the team (he's a year younger than Nash).

I would be willing to add to this to get the deal done but I don't think I'd consider Hodgson or Schroeder or any of the Canucks core aside from the guys already included.

Any thoughts? I realize that this isn't the cure-all "number one" center or defenseman but I think it would help the BJ's forward group, it would help them move the puck up the ice to create offense and most of all it would help out their powerplay.

And of course it would help the Canucks address a huge organizational hole.

Old
06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I want a center for Nash for one reason, to once and for all prove that Rick Nash needs more than an all-star center to play like he does on Team Canada ice..
Correct me if I'm wrong but this can be translated as:

"I've never thought he was good enough and this will help me prove it."

Old
06-11-2010, 03:05 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't trade Edler. Specifically because he is the only blueliner we have signed past next season.

What about - and let me finish before you click reply - Mason Raymond and Kevin Bieksa?
No way.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
No way.
What are you expecting to be offered? (Or would you just prefer to keep it)

Old
06-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

I think it can more accurately be translated as, "Rick Nash has more problems than a #1 center can solve." A sentiment I can agree with, but a #1 center sure would lessen the disappointment.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
A lot more than Raymond and Bieksa.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
I thought for sure it was going to be Bernier + Bieksa for our 4th overall pick so I guess I should thank you for swapping Bernier with Raymond.

Truth is that this deal will never go down because honestly Vancouver can't just add to a deal based around Kevin Bieksa that will ever equal the value of the #4 pick. Bieksa could fit well on the Blue Jackets no doubt but his value is super low right now and I don't think he's worth much more than a 3rd round pick at this point. Columbus might take him off your hands in a deal but the 4th overall pick is untouchable unless a top line center or top pairing defensman is involved.

Old
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
We'd prefer to keep it if that's the best you can offer (and I think Howson means he's open to trading it if the right offer comes along, not as if the 4th pick will inevitably be dealt). The two you offered are nice pieces, and honestly I'd love to get Bieksa on this team, but he's a second pair guy and we have enough wingers so MR isn't needed. For us to move the pick, Edler or Ehrhoff are the only things of interest and it doesn't seem likely that they would be moved.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

Nah, I've always thought he was a very good player but I've always thought he could be a very good player more often, with or without that all-star center.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:

I hope so, I know some people here don't want to trade anyone on this team, but realistically we need a drastic improvement.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

What ever happened to the Brian Lee trade offer? I remember reading on PR that Howson made an offer. But thats all I heard.

I want Lee in Columbus.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
More than 2 depth guys.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I thought for sure it was going to be Bernier + Bieksa for our 4th overall pick so I guess I should thank you for swapping Bernier with Raymond.
You're welcome?

Quote:
Truth is that this deal will never go down because honestly Vancouver can't just add to a deal based around Kevin Bieksa that will ever equal the value of the #4 pick.
IMO the deal is based around Raymond, and like I said Bieksa is not the only thing I'd be willing to add to make it work.

Quote:
Bieksa could fit well on the Blue Jackets no doubt but his value is super low right now and I don't think he's worth much more than a 3rd round pick at this point. Columbus might take him off your hands in a deal but
Sounds like you're gauging KB's value based on the chicken-littling being done by Canucks fans on this board who think he's supposed to be some kind of all-around rock.

The fact is that he is a good offensive defenseman who has limitations in his defensive play (but can take a regular shift), those guys don't get dealt for mid round picks unless you are talking about a pure salary dump type of trade.

(Which I acknowledge is not out of the question - but I maintain that Bieksa should be a good deal for next year compared to most UFA signings of players for similar roles.)

Quote:
the 4th overall pick is untouchable unless a top line center or top pairing defensman is involved.
Ahh, there it is. Say no more, if that's the case the Canucks are certainly not going to be in the running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
We'd prefer to keep it if that's the best you can offer (and I think Howson means he's open to trading it if the right offer comes along, not as if the 4th pick will inevitably be dealt). The two you offered are nice pieces, and honestly I'd love to get Bieksa on this team, but he's a second pair guy and we have enough wingers so MR isn't needed. For us to move the pick, Edler or Ehrhoff are the only things of interest and it doesn't seem likely that they would be moved.
Gotcha. I certainly don't think Howson is inevitably going to deal the pick - if he was and the market conspired against him, he might end up dealing it for Shawn Horcoff or something in that case - but if ownership is applying pressure and he feels his job may be on the line if the BJ's miss the playoffs again, "the right offer" might look a bit different than originally forecast.

As I mentioned that is not the best I'd be willing to offer personally, I would throw in Cory Schneider or our 2010 1st to make the deal work if it was that close.

Quote:
I hope so, I know some people here don't want to trade anyone on this team, but realistically we need a drastic improvement.
No offense to you guys but I agree. I don't think anyone anticipates Columbus being a major player in the UFA market or even - correct me if I'm wrong here - spending to the cap. They need some help and unless many of their good young players take a step forward and guys like Commodore have a bit of a resurgence, they may need to give up some picks or prospects to get it.

Old
06-11-2010, 04:55 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
More than 2 depth guys.
The most effective forward on the second best powerplay in the league.. is not a "depth guy." He would have been 5th on the BJs in ice time last year, 3rd in goals scored.

It's pretty likely he'd be second only to Nash on the BJs if they gave him first line ice time.

But.. it sounds like most of you guys want to hold onto the pick if it doesn't net you a first line center or a bona fide #1 defenseman.

Old
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

I was curious about this so I went and looked it up.. not trying to prove a point but I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

The #4 pick has been traded twice in the last 10 drafts:
  • 1999: The Canucks traded their 2000 1st round pick and Bryan McCabe (then 24 with 315 GP, 26 G 76 P) to get it from the Blackhawks - they dealt it later to the Rangers in part of their moves to get Henrik Sedin, while the Rags picked Pavel Brendl.
  • 2002: The Philadelphia Flyers traded two 2002 2nd round picks and Ruslan Fedotenko (then 23 with 84 GP, 17 G 37 P) for the pick, which they used to select Joni Pitkanen.

Closed Thread