HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Before we go pursuing guys like Byfuglien and Versteeg, we need to improve the blueline first and acquire a top line center second. I'm not sure Howson will be able to do more than the blueline revamp this offseason, however.
If we were going to pursue any thing involving the CBH cap woes I would think that it would involve the blue line. It kind of depends on who Bowman decides is expendable and available.

More to come I am sure.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
I have always liked Patrick Sharp's game. He is a good two way center/winger that can play all situations. 20-30 goals per year. Not sure what would have to go the other way, and since Sharp's contract isn't that expensive(2 more years at $3.9), I am not sure why the Hawks would trade him. I guess for the Hawks any cap space is golden.
Hawks are over the cap with only 14 players signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11 Cap space to them is beyond golden. They'll need to bury Huet in the minors and eat his 6 mil salary, just to get some of their 15 RFA's signed such as Ladd, Eager, and Niemi. Let alone their departing UFA's such as Madden.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Before we go pursuing guys like Byfuglien and Versteeg, we need to improve the blueline first and acquire a top line center second. I'm not sure Howson will be able to do more than the blueline revamp this offseason, however.
Maybe Sharp would be someone who replaces a player we trade for a C/D? I don't know, but I know I wouldn't offer CHI much for anything they want to trade. They are in trouble and everyone else has the leverage.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Kev22

Quote:
As long as the team remains on the budget, you'll get one or the other, not both. Frankly, I agree that you'll see the overhaul of the blueline, but I think the #1 center is a pipe dream. It is someone we'll have to draft and develop or acquire young and cheap. David Krecji?

Old
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Roadman
Moving On

OK I'm going to really step outside the box here.

What if we simply leave the blueline alone and let the prospects percolate in SP for a year and take on a WASH like environment for a year and go after Sharp. Run and Gun here we come.

Nash - Vermette - Voracek
Filatov - Sharp - Huselius
Umberger - Pahlsson - Clark
Calvert - Brassard - Dorsett

Roll three attacking lines and a solid checking line. The individuals/combinations could be moved around.

Would be some fun wouldn't it ?

Old
06-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Hawks are over the cap with only 14 players signed for next year. http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11 Cap space to them is beyond golden. They'll need to bury Huet in the minors and eat his 6 mil salary, just to get some of their 15 RFA's signed such as Ladd, Eager, and Niemi. Let alone their departing UFA's such as Madden.
Thanks, they are up against it. I am wondering if the Hawks management values Sharp more than Versteeg, Bolland, Brouwer, Kopecky, Madden, Byfuglien. Or any combination of those players.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Maybe Sharp would be someone who replaces a player we trade for a C/D? I don't know, but I know I wouldn't offer CHI much for anything they want to trade. They are in trouble and everyone else has the leverage.
This is true, but after the whole league comes knocking, the price will rise.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Skraut

Quote:
This is true, but after the whole league comes knocking, the price will rise.
Yeah, I can't help thinking though how funny if the rest of the GM's colluded just once to not trade with Chicago.

Old
06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Yeah, I can't help thinking though how funny if the rest of the GM's colluded just once to not trade with Chicago.
There would always be the sneeky GM to act like he is going along with the plan, and boom, he breaks his promise and has all the league hating him.

OT here. On another topic similar in a league wide pact or truce, I always have thought that NFL teams should blacklist players who continuously are in trouble with the law.

Last edited by Jaxs: 06-14-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old
06-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Kev22

Kevin Lowe?

Old
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
stevemason1

what do u guys think of our D? Im thinking its pritty solid who do u guys think shud stay and who shud go? discuss!

also

who do u guys think shoud fill each line? who shud be on the 1st line, who shud be on the 2nd, 3rd etc..?

Old
06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
zeus3007*

How is the Columbus defense? I know there have been a ton of Souray to Edmonton proposals, and this isn't exactly one, I'm just wondering what it would take to get Hejda traded to Edmonton? Roster players only, I'm sure the Oilers are not entertaining offers on draft picks. Thanks guys.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemason1 View Post
what do u guys think of our D? Im thinking its pritty solid who do u guys think shud stay and who shud go? discuss!

also

who do u guys think shoud fill each line? who shud be on the 1st line, who shud be on the 2nd, 3rd etc..?
Please don't write like that, I'm old and it gives me a headache.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Please don't write like that, I'm old and it gives me a headache.
U shud get your I's checked, it's prolly been >2 years...

Old
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Ludicrous Speed

pipedream of transactions for me:

#4 + Filatov (2.195) + Tyutin (2.84)

for

Carter (5)

Brassard (3.2) + Methot (1)

for

Tom Gilbert (4) + pick

Klesla (2.975)

for

Bieksa (3.75)

resulting lineup:

Nash-Carter-Voracek
Huselius-Vermette-Umberger
Clark/Calvert-Pahlsson-Dorsett
Clark/Calvert-Murray-Boll

Hejda-Gilbert
Russell-Bieksa
Moore/Clitsome-Commie

Mason
Garon

by my calculations that has our cap basically evening out from where it was, although I don't exactly know how to count Filatov's cap hit. then you've got Nash's 2 million dollar raise. if we need to cut salary after that I'm sure we could.

note: I wouldn't do that Brassard-Gilbert trade unless the Carter trade went through.

Old
06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Brassard (3.2) + Methot (1)

for

Tom Gilbert (4) + pick

note: I wouldn't do that Brassard-Gilbert trade unless the Carter trade went through.
I'm not the best evaluator of talent on these boards (not by far I'm sure) but that seems like massive overpayment.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
I'm not the best evaluator of talent on these boards (not by far I'm sure) but that seems like massive overpayment.
Which is why I said I wouldn't do it unless the Carter trade went through. Once we have Carter and Vermette, Brassard becomes expendable and we could flip him for a defenseman. Gilbert is a guy that would fit right in here, and I'm not sure we could get a much better defenseman for Brass because I don't know what team needs a center and is willing to give a up a good defenseman for him, other than Edmonton. Perhaps Kaberle, but his contract is up next year and he'll want more money than Gilbert, plus he's getting older.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
There would always be the sneeky GM to act like he is going along with the plan, and boom, he breaks his promise and has all the league hating him.

OT here. On another topic similar in a league wide pact or truce, I always have thought that NFL teams should blacklist players who continuously are in trouble with the law.
MLB and NFL have done things like that before with players for a variety of reasons (Mostly cost related)

They ended up getting sued and losing alot of money and being found guilty of collusion

Old
06-14-2010, 05:01 PM
stevemason1

does anybody else but me think we should either sign a goal scorer during FA? If you look at this years stats we had only 1 30 goal scorer, and 4 20 goal + scorers. This wont be enough to get deep into the playoffs. Last year only 3, 20+ goal scorers. I'm gonna come out and say it, Rick Nash needs to step up! He's a great player and has help the franchise tremedously but is inconsistent every year, the goals go up one year then down the next. He has to be a 40 goal scorer EVERY YEAR he's a first overall pick! Anyway, looking to next year hear are the potential 30 goal scorers (correct me if I'm wrong:

Nash, Vermette, Umberger, Voracek. Huselius, and MAYBE *gulp* Brassard (fingers crossed)

If we are in such need of a center then we HAVE to sign Marleau, or Plekanec. Both great centers who can score and make plays. Higgins and Gagner can also be signed. 1 of the 4 would be a great fit.

Old
06-14-2010, 05:43 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemason1 View Post
does anybody else but me think we should either sign a goal scorer during FA? If you look at this years stats we had only 1 30 goal scorer, and 4 20 goal + scorers. This wont be enough to get deep into the playoffs. Last year only 3, 20+ goal scorers. I'm gonna come out and say it, Rick Nash needs to step up! He's a great player and has help the franchise tremedously but is inconsistent every year, the goals go up one year then down the next. He has to be a 40 goal scorer EVERY YEAR he's a first overall pick! Anyway, looking to next year hear are the potential 30 goal scorers (correct me if I'm wrong:

Nash, Vermette, Umberger, Voracek. Huselius, and MAYBE *gulp* Brassard (fingers crossed)

If we are in such need of a center then we HAVE to sign Marleau, or Plekanec. Both great centers who can score and make plays. Higgins and Gagner can also be signed. 1 of the 4 would be a great fit.
Who will be OVERPAID! I won't be mad if we sign someone, but I don't like it in general, because you usually overpay and the player is older. I would rather trade for someone IF we think we need another forward. I personally don't think we do, unless it is a #1 C.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
If there's any chance to get Jeff Carter I'd do it, he would be a blockbuster signing imo. His cost is steep for the Jackets but some salary would move to Chicago. I assume he would center for Nash...

Old
06-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If there's any chance to get Jeff Carter I'd do it, he would be a blockbuster signing imo. His cost is steep for the Jackets but some salary would move to Chicago. I assume he would center for Nash...
i don't think Chicago will be trading Jeff Carter

its funny to me, a couple months ago, when philly was questionable about making the playoffs, there was a thread (too lazy to look for it) and I proposed brass and the #4 for Carter...they were all about it...now that they made the Final...that's an underpayment....

Old
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Can it be July 1st yet? Or at least Draft Day? I'm getting anxious to see what we do.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Can it be July 1st yet? Or at least Draft Day? I'm getting anxious to see what we do.
And you know GMSH is going to give no inkling of what he is about. We won't know anything until it's signed, sealed, delivered, and filed with NHL offices. Even then he'll probably have no comment until the scheduled news conference.

Old
06-14-2010, 06:56 PM
RDriesenUD

What to do about Spezza

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...541/story.html

Closed Thread