HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
If/when the Jackets end up with either Fowler/Gudbranson/whatever defender we get at the draft table, does that change our outlook at all towards overhauling the defense corps? Let's say we get Gudbranson, which IMO is the most likely scenario - that gives us Gudbranson, Moore, Goloubef, Russell, and I'll say Stralman and Methot as future guys as well (under-25) - that's not a wholly terrible defense corps if you add in another gritty/physical type guy. Say we get a guy like Souray this summer - or maybe another type of mentor - if those guys are brought along correctly and have the right leadership, they could all turn into very good players.

In that case, I would be all for bringing in Souray - especially if the price were fairly cheap.
Yes, I think we still need ot revamp the defense. Gudbranson or Fowler or "your pick here" doesn't change next years team. If Howson can get that early to mid 20's something d-man for Filatov or our pick the only question becomes salary and cap (team or league) management. That's the big issue in my book.

If we can upgrade the defense and keep the pick - wow...best case scenario. But the pick does nothing but make us younger and more inexperienced at the NHL level. And I don't think Souray is the answer for help. I was interested a year or two ago but his injuries, age and and declining skills make him less attractive.

Old
04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I'm thinking that the Wild would likely need Brassard included in that package. As for posting on the mains....one could post trading the first pick in the 7th round for the 2nd pick in the 7th round and get blasted because it would be weighted too far one way or the other.
This is exactly why I don't post on the trade board.

Old
04-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Yes, I think we still need ot revamp the defense. Gudbranson or Fowler or "your pick here" doesn't change next years team. If Howson can get that early to mid 20's something d-man for Filatov or our pick the only question becomes salary and cap (team or league) management. That's the big issue in my book.

If we can upgrade the defense and keep the pick - wow...best case scenario. But the pick does nothing but make us younger and more inexperienced at the NHL level. And I don't think Souray is the answer for help. I was interested a year or two ago but his injuries, age and and declining skills make him less attractive.
I agree that Souray is only moderately attractive. I would only be interested in him if we didn't give up a core asset.

If we're trading Filatov, I think the price has to be extremely high. He is one of the top prospects not currently in the NHL, and I have to think that the interest in him would be in the range of a top-4 defenseman under age 25, and depending on who that particular player is, maybe also another roster player or pick. If we're talking a Matt Carle-type guy (example, just because I've seen his name around these boards before); then we'd better expect a second round pick in that package if we're including Filatov.

Old
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I don't think Minny would get rid of Koivu, especially without a decent center coming back. But a Filatov-Burns swap could be a decent base. I don't want to trade Filatov unless a legitimate top pairing defenseman is coming the other way, and Burns has shown that potential previously. I know he's had concussion episodes but he could also use a change of scenery. I think Minny is looking for some flash up front, so Filatov could be interesting for them, and both players in the deal have question marks.

Old
04-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I don't think Minny would get rid of Koivu, especially without a decent center coming back. But a Filatov-Burns swap could be a decent base. I don't want to trade Filatov unless a legitimate top pairing defenseman is coming the other way, and Burns has shown that potential previously. I know he's had concussion episodes but he could also use a change of scenery. I think Minny is looking for some flash up front, so Filatov could be interesting for them, and both players in the deal have question marks.
I agree with you here, and that seems like it could be a feasable enough trade offer to make.

Old
04-17-2010, 04:06 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Filatov doesn't move until he shows up this year and puts up some numbers. You'd be crazy to trade for him now

Old
04-17-2010, 06:52 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
If/when the Jackets end up with either Fowler/Gudbranson/whatever defender we get at the draft table, does that change our outlook at all towards overhauling the defense corps? Let's say we get Gudbranson, which IMO is the most likely scenario - that gives us Gudbranson, Moore, Goloubef, Russell, and I'll say Stralman and Methot as future guys as well (under-25) - that's not a wholly terrible defense corps if you add in another gritty/physical type guy. Say we get a guy like Souray this summer - or maybe another type of mentor - if those guys are brought along correctly and have the right leadership, they could all turn into very good players.

In that case, I would be all for bringing in Souray - especially if the price were fairly cheap.
To me, I hope to upgrade all 6 dmen. I hope that we will upgrade a few from players getting better and draft picks replacing others. And then the other upgrades from replacing current players with players that we get in a trade or free agency.

I really like Hejda, but I would love to make an upgrade over him in the next year or 2. We can upgrade by replacing Commodore. We can upgrade Russell just from him improving. We can upgrade 2 more spots with the addition of Moore and Gudbranson/Fowler. That is 5 spots there. That doesn't take into account guys like Goloubef and Savard. So, to me, we need to add 2 dmen who are better than Commodore and Hejda through FA/trade over the next 2 years.

Old
04-18-2010, 06:40 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I'd like to hold on to Mayorov.

Keep Stralman too. He's young and seems to have more growth left. (psycloud will be happy to see me post this)

Old
04-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Brassard Calder

Those trades would obviously be pretty good for the Jackets, but I don't see anyway Minnesota would ever agree to the first one. Koivu would be dynamite with Nasher though. Ahhh to dream.

Old
04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
jacketracket*

Agreed with most here - I don't think Minny does that deal. And with that in mind, I'd look at Krejci/Wideman, instead. I think being able to offer Boston the fourth overall to go along with the second overall they have would give the CBJ a bit of leverage. Toss in Filatov and parts as needed.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I'd like to hold on to Mayorov.

Keep Stralman too. He's young and seems to have more growth left. (psycloud will be happy to see me post this)
I'm proud of you, Jf!

Really, though, Stralman more than doubled Niskanen's point production this year, and was only two worse on plus/minus. Stralman has some work to do, but I think there's quite a bit of potential there.

Old
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
airforceones25

ANA:
Filatov
4th overall

CBJ:
Lupul
Wisniewski
Mitera
1st '10 (ANA)
1st '10 (PHI)

Old
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
ANA:
Filatov
4th overall

CBJ:
Lupul
Wisniewski
Mitera
1st '10 (ANA)
1st '10 (PHI)
We're not able to take on that much salary. Not too bad of a try, tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We're not able to take on that much salary. Not too bad of a try, tho.
Value's probably fairly close. A salary dump going Anaheim's way would have to be involved, though.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Value's fine, but it just doesn't make sense to deal our best available assets without immediate, legitimate help coming back. ie a first pairing defenseman.

Old
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycloud View Post
Value's probably fairly close. A salary dump going Anaheim's way would have to be involved, though.
We should just rename Commodore "Salary Dump"

Old
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
psycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
We should just rename Commodore "Salary Dump"
I thought it was pretty heavily implied without having to say it.

Old
04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Gulvorn

I keep asking myself, if the Sharks signed Malholtra for 700k, why didn't we resign him, put him on the 3rd line, and save ourselves almost 3M dollars spending money on Pahlsson? Pahlsson was touted as being a Malholtra type player coming in that could occasionally score but would be a solid checking line center. So far all I see is that he's slightly better than Malholtra defensively but complete inept at scoring and costs us 5-6 times as much money

Old
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
ANA:
Filatov
4th overall

CBJ:
Lupul
Wisniewski
Mitera
1st '10 (ANA)
1st '10 (PHI)

So, the Ducks get Gudbranson and Filatov for a guy who already can fill the role Gudbranson may someday fill (in a worst case scenario of where Gudbranson shakes out in his development) and a guy who has already shown he can score somewhere between 25-30 goals. They also give up one of their top defensive prospects...at a time when they need to be rebuilding their defense, and two mid-first round draft picks. Gee, I bet Murray would jump at that. You could have at least thrown in Methot or Savard to make it a little more respectable.

Old
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
I keep asking myself, if the Sharks signed Malholtra for 700k, why didn't we resign him, put him on the 3rd line, and save ourselves almost 3M dollars spending money on Pahlsson? Pahlsson was touted as being a Malholtra type player coming in that could occasionally score but would be a solid checking line center. So far all I see is that he's slightly better than Malholtra defensively but complete inept at scoring and costs us 5-6 times as much money
Answer: Manny wanted closer to what Pahlsson got to stay with the Jackets. He only took less from SJ because they were a Cup contender.

Old
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Answer: Manny wanted closer to what Pahlsson got to stay with the Jackets. He only took less from SJ because they were a Cup contender.
Also wasn't part of Howson's reasoning that Pahlsson would really help the team in the playoffs? Or something like that...

Old
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Also wasn't part of Howson's reasoning that Pahlsson would really help the team in the playoffs? Or something like that...
Yes, though I think if Manny had offered to stay at $700k, Howson would have found him just fine for playoff purposes.

I found it entertaining to see Manny on a line with Jumbo Joke last night. I immediately thought--well, guess Manny's going to be looking for first line money from SJ next year.

Old
04-19-2010, 07:12 PM
JacketsFanWest

Last off-season, the Sharks had a little over a million in cap space and only 18 players signed. The only way they could attract free agents was that they were a playoff contender and that by playing for less than market value, they could earn a bigger contract the next season.

The funny thing was Malhotra's signing was promoted by the Sharks as being a character/leadership guy who would be huge during the playoffs and stop their playoff losses.

Old
04-20-2010, 12:59 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
Sammy Pahlsson is not a Malhotra type player, he's a former Selke award winner. I have nothing against Manny, but he couldn't sniff an award in a career year. Pahlsson did not have a good year, but he also played on a completely inconsistent line that had no real definition. They didn't use his line as a shut-down line as much as they should have.

Old
04-20-2010, 01:57 AM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

So, the Ducks get Gudbranson and Filatov for a guy who already can fill the role Gudbranson may someday fill (in a worst case scenario of where Gudbranson shakes out in his development) and a guy who has already shown he can score somewhere between 25-30 goals. They also give up one of their top defensive prospects...at a time when they need to be rebuilding their defense, and two mid-first round draft picks. Gee, I bet Murray would jump at that. You could have at least thrown in Methot or Savard to make it a little more respectable.
Lupul is a cap casualty due to the extension Bobby Ryan will be signing. Wiz is a RFA looking to get about 3 mil and the Ducks have youngsters coming up to fill the void of Wisneiwski... (Sbisa/Gardiner/Mikkelson/Clark/Vatanen) With the likely retirement looming over Niedermeyer's head would allow us to create enough cap space 2 sign another solid defensemen. So inevitably breaks down something like Lupul/Mitera 4 Filatov and Wiz/2 1st's for #4. with that pick wether it be Gudbranson of Fowler hope to make a more immediate impact like Top 5 picks tend to be...(unless we're talking about Filatov)

Closed Thread