HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Off-Season 2010 Thread (All general speculation/blog rumors/proposals in here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I see your point GOM and it's a way of looking at it. I'm not sure if I disagree or not, mainly because the moves seem to be motivated to remove Commie's contract and not as much on the players in return.
Speaking for myself, I think Roszival is an improvement on Commodore, offering a desired skill-set without giving up too much in the d-zone.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Speaking for myself, I think Roszival is an improvement on Commodore, offering a desired skill-set without giving up too much in the d-zone.
He has more skill, but he certainly comes with his own set of issues. Net gain seems very questionable.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:39 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
My line of thinking with these ideas is to free up room on the payroll in the next two years for a couple of our younger defensemen to join the team.
There are numerous ways of doing that. We have trade-able assets on D if it came to the point we felt we had to free up a roster. This only free ups one spot one year sooner. Not sure it's worth that much time investment.

This seem more focused around moving an asset we think doesn't have much value, as no other options were explored.

I'm not opposed to it, but I'm not really on board either. Good conversation starter for the topic however.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Good conversation starter for the topic however.
Mission Accomplished on my part then.

Old
05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
He has more skill, but he certainly comes with his own set of issues. Net gain seems very questionable.
Well it's certainly no blockbuster, and I hadly see Rozy as "the answer" but I'll take small gains in:
1) overall cost
2) shorter term
3) better player with more highly-desired skill-set (and another sought-after RHS)

Also doesn't preclude other activity. It might make Hejda and/or Methot less likely to be moved given their similar skill-set to Commodore. Although it make make not re-signing Stralman less concerning. (Not that I'm specifically advocating moving Jan or Marc, nor not bringing back Anton...)

Old
05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Other possible conversation-starters:

See whether Brassard + Huselius can land you a big-time center.

Offer the Pens their choice of Boll or Blunden for Pascal Dupuis, giving the Jackets a legit shut-down third line (Clark-Pahlsson-Dupuis) while not totally abandoning the idea you might get some scoring from said. (I suppose that's DD's role moving forward.)

Old
05-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

It sounds like one of Derek Roy or Tim Connolly (most likely Connolly) could be moved by Buffalo during the offseason, based on the report below. I'd certainly look into that if I were Scotty.

• The Sabres have trouble at the center position. Derek Roy(notes) and Tim Connolly(notes) were the top two point producers during the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs. Neither scored, with Roy recording only two assists and Connolly one. The Sabres are in the market now for a pivot since Roy and Connolly have only two goals in their last 47 playoff games combined. “Can we get better? Can they get better? Yes, absolutely,” GM Darcy Regier said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...s-2010-nhl-buf

Old
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I want Volchenkov as well, but it has been reported he is looking for $5 Mil a year on a Multi-Year deal. That is hard to justify on a guy who had 4 goals this year (tying his CAREER high), and who has never had a single 20 point season.

I don't see the Jackets even making a pass at him, just because of how much money he is wanting. If you could acquire him for the 3 Million range, I think he is a steal. 5 Million, I don't think he is there, yet.
This guy had 4 goals but this guy is one of the best if not the best defensive player in NHL, he is the best player for BkS, he blocked 32 shoots in PO in 6 games, he is the second, first is Gill with 41 in 10 games and in the regular he blocked 172 shoots in 64 games he was 8th.

When we trade Commodore, Klesla, we will have 5 millions.

He is moving, speed, he plays hard. Simply, A - train is an ideal player for us. And I think 5 milions is a normal salary for him.

Old
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Well it's certainly no blockbuster, and I hadly see Rozy as "the answer" but I'll take small gains in:
1) overall cost
2) shorter term
3) better player with more highly-desired skill-set (and another sought-after RHS)

Also doesn't preclude other activity. It might make Hejda and/or Methot less likely to be moved given their similar skill-set to Commodore. Although it make make not re-signing Stralman less concerning. (Not that I'm specifically advocating moving Jan or Marc, nor not bringing back Anton...)
1) Yep
2) Yep
3) Not sure ("better" is very subjective) and yes his skill set is generally more desirable.

When Commie is playing well, personally I think he's a better 5 on 5 player then Roszival. Does this checklist mean that the move is desirable to most? Probably. To me? I can't say if we're a better team next year because of the move. But it's a nice, simple, evaluation of the Commie situation.

I'm probably more inclined to adopt your other thoughts.

Old
05-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Y'know, the Vancouver fans are pissed off enough with Bieksa right now that we could probably almost get 'em to go for a swap with Commodore straight up. I'd proposed Commie plus their second (we got it from the Tico trade) and got an unusually large amount of enthusiasm for the idea.

I'm pretty sure we'd still have to give up the second in an actual deal since GMs aren't necessarily as prone to panic moves like that, but still, I find it interesting.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-06-2010, 04:27 PM
BGSU will rise again

Unlike many around here I do like #22. I think he will bounce back next year. But if we were to get Bieksa I would need a clean pair of shorts...

Old
05-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Xoggz22

If we're going to upgrade the defense I think it's more than a commodore for Roszival type move. We have some assests and there are a few players out there that are either out of favor, teams have cap issues or they are simply coming off a bad year but have been considered top pairing potential....

Brent Seabrook (Chi) - 1 yr @ $3.5M - Chicago is in cap hell and although highly unlikely to trade within the division he would be an upgrade for the CBJ
Brent Burns (Min) - 2 yrs @ $3.55M/yr - coming off head injury and not likely to go anywhere but would a Filatov package entice Minnesota enough to consider moving him?
Keith Yandle (Pho) - 1 yr @ $1.2M - Phoenix has so many players to sign and an unsettled ownership situation. I don't see him getting moved but a definite upgrade
Jack Johnson (LA) - 1 yr @ $1.5M - Seems like a possible falling out in LA and has all the tools the CBJ would be looking for.

A few others I think could be high reward options but certainly no guarantee (buy low....)

Matt Niskanen (Dal) - RFA - healthy scratches in Dallas and coming off a down year. Hyped as top pairing guy potential. great skater, right shot, all around player.
Brian Lee (Ott) - 2 yrs @ $875k/yr - rumoured to be available. Great skater, plays in all situations, light on experience. could he be had cheap?
Brayden Coburn (Phi) - RFA - rumblings in Philly that he took step backwards. Philly looks to be tight against the cap again next year.
Marc-Edouard Vlasik (SJ) - 3 yrs @ $3.1M/yr - I just like him as a player. Likely tough to pull out of SJ but he would be a nice addition.

I doubt we'll see any of these guys but certainly I think one from each group could be possibilities. We still would have to move at least two off the current roster and a couple prospects or picks. What if something like our #4, Weber & Klesla to Phoenix for Yandle, Hanzal and the 13th pick happened? #4 & Hejda to Minn for Burns & the #9? Filatov and Van 2nd to LA for Johnson and their 1st?

I know, I know...probably not realistic but certainly some discussion points.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSU will rise again View Post
Unlike many around here I do like #22. I think he will bounce back next year. But if we were to get Bieksa I would need a clean pair of shorts...
Likewise here, which is why I find it of interest.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Ludicrous Speed

I'm with Xoggz. I think we need a legitimate big-minute defenseman more than anything currently. While Seabrook and Yandle are likely out of the question, I've advocated a Filatov-Burns framework for a few weeks.

I'm also a fan of Bieksa's and I think his value has gone down for sure, and maybe Vancouver would be looking to sign Volchenkov or Hamhuis over the summer and would let Bieksa go at a worthwhile price to free up space. Although I don't think he's the answer by any means, I think he would be a great piece to add, and hopefully Filatov + one of our other defensemen could be swapped for something bigger.

A man can dream I suppose.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I'm with Xoggz. I think we need a legitimate big-minute defenseman more than anything currently. While Seabrook and Yandle are likely out of the question, I've advocated a Filatov-Burns framework for a few weeks.

I'm also a fan of Bieksa's and I think his value has gone down for sure, and maybe Vancouver would be looking to sign Volchenkov or Hamhuis over the summer and would let Bieksa go at a worthwhile price to free up space. Although I don't think he's the answer by any means, I think he would be a great piece to add, and hopefully Filatov + one of our other defensemen could be swapped for something bigger.

I dunno. I've long been convinced that we were never going to get anything resembling fair value for Filatov, and I was okay with that... until he confirmed that he's definitely coming back this year, which makes me want to see what he can do now that he's matured a little and had some time to internalize all those unpopular ideas Hitch was telling him about.

I'd rather try to develop top defense through the draft, myself. We've got a pretty good pipeline going; it just needs a little more skill added. And hey, look at that shiny fourth overall pick we've got there...

Old
05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
It sounds like one of Derek Roy or Tim Connolly (most likely Connolly) could be moved by Buffalo during the offseason, based on the report below. I'd certainly look into that if I were Scotty.

• The Sabres have trouble at the center position. Derek Roy(notes) and Tim Connolly(notes) were the top two point producers during the regular season but disappeared in the playoffs. Neither scored, with Roy recording only two assists and Connolly one. The Sabres are in the market now for a pivot since Roy and Connolly have only two goals in their last 47 playoff games combined. “Can we get better? Can they get better? Yes, absolutely,” GM Darcy Regier said.

But the report you read left this out:

Quote:
So with the Sabres facing alterations to their lineup, do they expect Connolly to be in Buffalo next season?

"Oh, I don't know," Regier said. "Right now he's under contract [with one year remaining at $4.5 million], so I do expect him to be here. The "I don't know' is a reference to the work we have to do, not limited to Tim Connolly. It's the whole team."
There is no way Buffalo moves Roy based on a playoff series without Vanek at his side, Connolly perhaps (based on the tone of this statement)...but who wants a washed up player for 4.5 million that Regier should never have resigned in the first place.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/2...ing-takes.html

Old
05-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
This guy had 4 goals but this guy is one of the best if not the best defensive player in NHL, he is the best player for BkS, he blocked 32 shoots in PO in 6 games, he is the second, first is Gill with 41 in 10 games and in the regular he blocked 172 shoots in 64 games he was 8th.

He is moving, speed, he plays hard. Simply, A - train is an ideal player for us. And I think 5 milions is a normal salary for him.
Sure, we would have 5 mill, but to get Volchenkov here I would be willing to bet it would cost more like 6-7 mill for us. Rumor is he's going to be offered 5 mill by a team of contenders, not pretenders.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Add me as a fan of Bieksa; I think he could certainly be a top-pairing guy for us.

Old
05-07-2010, 02:48 AM
punk_o_holic

Quote:

-Would you do it for Cam Barker? Would Minny do it? Who is better any ways? I like Barker more. I wonder if Minny would want Filatov when they have Havlat.

-I like Bieksa as well but he can get you frusterated at times.

-I know most, if not all don't want Jokinen but I wouldn't mind him on a one year contract if he is willing to take a cheap contract. Offer him $3 to $3.5mil. Playing with Nash and Huselius, he should get some points and re establish himself and earn him a big contract after his one year stint in Columbus. Also, if by chance, Columbus is out of the playoff race, I'm sure someone will make a offer for Jokinen at the deadline. Might beable to get a decent return if his number looks good.

Old
05-07-2010, 05:51 AM
RBarRegular

^^^ Good point on Jokinen but don't you think his indifference would drive everyone crazy? He and RJ would probably be at odds from day one. I'd like to consider Cbus a blue collar town. I don't think Jokinen's "softness" would play very well here. That said, if he comes in, gets 20g and 30a, then I'm all for it.

Old
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post

I know his stats and I agree, he is one of the better Defensive Defenseman in the League today.

My point being, I don't think he is worth 5 Million a year over a Multi Year Deal. Time will tell though what teams are willing to pay for him. Do you think Ottawa would entertain a Commie/Klesla for Volchenkov trade? They back fill Volchenkov with Commie, and get another D-man in Klesla. Or maybe a Commie + <insert player here> for Volchenkov.

Old
05-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
I know his stats and I agree, he is one of the better Defensive Defenseman in the League today.

My point being, I don't think he is worth 5 Million a year over a Multi Year Deal. Time will tell though what teams are willing to pay for him. Do you think Ottawa would entertain a Commie/Klesla for Volchenkov trade? They back fill Volchenkov with Commie, and get another D-man in Klesla. Or maybe a Commie + <insert player here> for Volchenkov.
Volchenkov is a UFA, we couldn't trade for him other than the right to talk to him now about a new contract instead of when FA hits, which is not worth much of anything other than a late round draft pick at most. Even then he has said he wants to stay in the East if possible.

Old
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Volchenkov is a UFA, we couldn't trade for him other than the right to talk to him now about a new contract instead of when FA hits, which is not worth much of anything other than a late round draft pick at most. Even then he has said he wants to stay in the East if possible.
Forgot he was a UFA

Old
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
EDM

Columbus is considered "blue collar" ????? All those state employees, OSU employees, bank, insurance and finance employees are "blue collar" ????? Other than Columbus Castings and the GP plant that blows up every few years on the south side, to what "blue collar" working base are you referring ????

Old
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Columbus is considered "blue collar" ????? All those state employees, OSU employees, bank, insurance and finance employees are "blue collar" ????? Other than Columbus Castings and the GP plant that blows up every few years on the south side, to what "blue collar" working base are you referring ????
You make a very good point, EDM, I think it's more of a self-image than a reality.

Closed Thread