HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Conan O'Brien on TBS

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If he was going to cable, why wouldn't he go to Comedy Central?

Old
04-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Better Call Saul

"Tyler Perry Presents Conan O'Brien Makes a Terrible Decision," written by Tyler Perry, directed by Tyler Perry, and starring Tyler Perry as Conan O'Brien.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Well, that sucks. It will be nice to see Conan back on TV...but TBS?

meh

Old
04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
If he was going to cable, why wouldn't he go to Comedy Central?
If he went to Comedy Central, he'd have had to start his show at 12. As of now, he's putting himself up against Stewart and Colbert... it could be interesting.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
mdhockey24

I like it. Seems like I'm the only one.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

wtf they must have offered him a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit load of green

Old
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I think Peachtree TV and TBS are the same in Canada, but I'm not sure. In America they appear to be different, because in American Peachtree TV is "WTBS", which is different from TBS.

Damn this is complicated.
The channels are pretty much identical, but because of some FCC quirk they have to show Peachtree in Atlanta and TBS in the rest of the country. There's a similar quirk with the CRTC that results in Peachtree being shown in Canada.

Not sure what the deal is in Canada, but it's kind of funny because during the commercial breaks we get a mix of Atlanta-based commercials and local commercials. So you see a commercial for McDick's offering nickel cheeseburgers or something crazy like thaty, and you don't realize until the end that you'd have to drive a day and a half straight to cash in on that. Bloody annoying.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Fox saw his ratings and backed away...

04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
let the annoying tbs ads commence! prediction: they will start in may and play during every single commercial break for every show on the network 24/7 until sometime in 2011

tbs is notorious for bad original programming, but with conan it will be fine. as long as he gets back on tv and everybody knows what to expect it should be fine. i think he'll probably have as much freedom as his old late night show.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone View Post
let the annoying tbs ads commence! prediction: they will start in may and play during every single commercial break for every show on the network 24/7 until sometime in 2011

tbs is notorious for bad original programming, but with conan it will be fine. as long as he gets back on tv and everybody knows what to expect it should be fine. i think he'll probably have as much freedom as his old late night show.
As I said it'll get really bad during the MLB playoffs like it did for the George Lopez show. To be fair all networks heavily pimp their products during postseason games so...

Old
04-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Does it really matter what channel he's on?

I find this humorous coming from a bunch of Conan fans. As long as I can see him on TV, I couldn't' care less which channel he's on.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Reality Check

Conan going to a venue where he can be himself.

Two thumbs up.

The thing about FOX is that they're just find making money off syndicated shows and the late-night talk show is no longer a ratings machine.

In addition, it still leaves the door open for Conan to succeed Letterman as Craig Ferguson has supposedly declined taking that spot. Now, he could pull a Leno, but for now that's his view.

Quote:
O'Brien and Fox had been engaged in serious discussions about launching a late-night show for months, with most indications pointing to a deal eventually getting done. But Fox had always indicated that an agreement came with serious limitations: Less money, no guarantee of wide affiliate clearances and little chance for O'Brien to own his own show.

And while Fox Entertainment executives made no secret of their desire to get O'Brien, other parts of News Corp. seemed agnostic at best -- consistently stressing that an agreement would have to make sense financially.

The comedy-focused TBS, by contrast, made it clear that it really, really wanted O'Brien -- and was willing to step up with a monster deal to land him. His new pact with the network will allow O'Brien to own his own show, a la David Letterman, while also giving him an eight-figure compensation package described as "

Old
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
As I said it'll get really bad during the MLB playoffs like it did for the George Lopez show. To be fair all networks heavily pimp their products during postseason games so...
yeah, but tbs has no shame. it's ridiculous

i bet they work out some deal with anheuser busch to run this ad too:

Old
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Henrik Maneuver

Holy crap I just realized - TBS is from Atlanta --> Atlanta is in Georgia --> "Georgia Peach" --> Peachtree TV

Carry on.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Holy crap I just realized - TBS is from Atlanta --> Atlanta is in Georgia --> "Georgia Peach" --> Peachtree TV

Carry on.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Fox saw his ratings and backed away...
Wrong actually. FOX apparently couldn't get out of their syndication deals.. They definitely wanted him.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/cona...akes-tbs-deal/
Quote:
Many of Fox's O&O and affiliate stations were locked into long-term syndication deals for the time slot following their local late night news. "They couldn't unwind the long-term syndication deals with 30 Rock and The Office," a source tells us. Insiders stress that Fox still wanted Conan despite the structural issues. They also insist Peter Rice did everything he could, but that a deal just couldn't be made immediately. They say Fox wasn't shell-shocked by today's news and in fact knew about it in advance, but the broadcast network had agreed to keep all information confidential while O'Brien negotiated elsewhere and sealed the deal.
And also...

Quote:
10:20 AM UPDATE: The news that Conan O'Brien has picked a new TV home comes just as Conan kicks off his comedy tour today. Yes, this venue is a surprise. But these days, it's not like there's a big difference between a network and a cable show: all those 500+ channels seem indistinguishable. And TBS has done a terrific job branding and promoting Lopez Tonight. (O’Brien began talks in earnest with TBS just last week, after George Lopez personally called him to ask that he consider joining the network’s late-night line-up. “I can’t think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in,” Lopez said. “It’s the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy.”)

Last edited by macleod50: 04-12-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Link.
Old
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I heard Conan O'Brien sings with TBS (Taking Back Sunday)

I was about to scream.

Last edited by Acadmus: 04-13-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo could be read as inappropriate sexual commentary
Old
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
DeathFromAbove

Does anyone know if Eklund has confirmed this yet

Old
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Does it really matter what channel he's on?

I find this humorous coming from a bunch of Conan fans. As long as I can see him on TV, I couldn't' care less which channel he's on.
I mean, I agree to an extent. I'll watch Conan if he was on Lifetime, but it's just I feel like all of the TBS exclusive shows in general are just chintzy. George Lopez is a joke, Frank Caliendo is a one-trick pony, Tyler Perry just...sucks, and I feel like Conan is just way above those kinds of programs. I feel like he could do a whole lot better.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
The Thomas J.*

Such an odd move.....I doubt Conan steals many people from Leno or Letterman, but I think he will find a nice niche for himself.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I mean, I agree to an extent. I'll watch Conan if he was on Lifetime, but it's just I feel like all of the TBS exclusive shows in general are just chintzy. George Lopez is a joke, Frank Caliendo is a one-trick pony, Tyler Perry just...sucks, and I feel like Conan is just way above those kinds of programs. I feel like he could do a whole lot better.
I don't watch anything involved with Tyler Perry but I believe his shows do very well.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Fox was never a sure thing... unlike NBC forcing Leno on their affiliates, Fox cares about success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
This is pretty much how I feel as well. TBS is just a channel I never even consider watching, it's so below Conan. I'll watch his show and I'll probably enjoy it, but he could still do better.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I could go with it. It's not my favorite station but atleast it gives him freedom, well that and it's not FOX.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
SilverSeven

Wow. If he was going cable...why not go to a good cable station. Im surprised HBO didnt snag him. Conan with NO limits? Would be glorious.

IMO, this is embarassing for Conan, and kinda supports that he isnt one of the "big boys"...which I disagree with....but this move wont do anything to dissuade that notion, rather it will confirm it for many

Old
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
UseYourAllusion

I was really hoping for HBO.

Closed Thread