HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Conan O'Brien on TBS

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Cone

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I mean, I agree to an extent. I'll watch Conan if he was on Lifetime, but it's just I feel like all of the TBS exclusive shows in general are just chintzy. George Lopez is a joke, Frank Caliendo is a one-trick pony, Tyler Perry just...sucks, and I feel like Conan is just way above those kinds of programs. I feel like he could do a whole lot better.
don't forget bill engvall

Old
04-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Holy crap I just realized - TBS is from Atlanta --> Atlanta is in Georgia --> "Georgia Peach" --> Peachtree TV

Carry on.
...and the last horse finally limps across the finish line

Old
04-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Wow. If he was going cable...why not go to a good cable station. Im surprised HBO didnt snag him. Conan with NO limits? Would be glorious.

IMO, this is embarassing for Conan, and kinda supports that he isnt one of the "big boys"...which I disagree with....but this move wont do anything to dissuade that notion, rather it will confirm it for many
To me, it just confirms that the Johnny Carson-era Tonight Show should've ended in '92.

The landscape is far different than it was in '92 and the target audiences of Leno and Letterman, in addition to themselves, aren't getting any younger.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
How the hell did Fox come up short in this? They couldn't get out of showing reruns of defunct shows?

Old
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Wow. If he was going cable...why not go to a good cable station. Im surprised HBO didnt snag him. Conan with NO limits? Would be glorious.

IMO, this is embarassing for Conan, and kinda supports that he isnt one of the "big boys"...which I disagree with....but this move wont do anything to dissuade that notion, rather it will confirm it for many
I disagree. To me it just proves, once again, that broadcast networks are no longer what they once were and that the landscape is very different then it was when Letterman bolted for CBS. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert have proven that you don't need to be on the Big 4 to have a successful late night show.

Conan probably could have thrown a show together for the CW and been able to say "look at me, I'm on a broadcast network!" but instead he went where there was money and creative control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How the hell did Fox come up short in this? They couldn't get out of showing reruns of defunct shows?
Fox's affiliates make a lot of money off those syndicated shows and by selling local advertising. Fox would have had to force as many of them as possible to give up that money, and even then not every affiliate was guaranteed to do it... Buffalo's Fox affiliate makes so much money off syndicated shows (because they garner a ton of Canadian viewers) that they don't even produce a local news, what's the incentive for them to show Conan? Imagine Fox trying to promote Conan when his show starts at 11 in some markets but 12 in others and 11:30 in some others... it would be a disaster.

Also, because of the risk involved, they weren't willing to invest too much money. He was being offered 7 figures and Fox would own the rights to the show. TBS offered 8 figures and let Conan produce the show himself.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Reality Check

I think if Conan was desperate enough, he would've signed whatever FOX offered him.

But I believe he realizes that times have changed

Old
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
some of their affiliates had to run certain show through certain dates so conan would be shown as basically a "check your local listing" type of show. i guess they just couldn't shuffle stuff around quick enough to make it worth it or whatever.

Old
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Conan should have just given up on talk shows and become the executive producer of The Simpsons.

Old
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Conan........ the next Craig Kilborn.

Last edited by Stanley Foobrick: 04-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Miss Mess

Yay Conan's returning! Keep cool my babies!

Old
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I think Peachtree tv is TBS in Canada, not sure though

From Wikipedia: In late June 2007, Turner Broadcasting announced that WTBS would change its callsign and become WPCH-TV, under the branding Peachtree TV. According to Turner, the new channel 17 will offer sitcoms and movies geared toward an Atlanta-area audience, substantially if not entirely separate from the satellite feed. The new station will, in the future, also broadcast 45 Atlanta Braves baseball games in 2008. The change is scheduled to take place on October 1. As a result, the channel 17 change will allow Atlanta cable and satellite television viewers to receive, for the first time, the national TBS feed in its entirety.[2]

The new station is not related to the similarly-called FM station in Macon, WPCH, which is owned by Clear Channel.

In Canada, most cable and satellite companies carried WTBS's local Atlanta signal instead of the national TBS channel. Following the change, Canadian systems have currently chosen to keep Peachtree TV.

In other words you guys r getting the Atlanta version of TBS instead of the national US version

Old
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Conan........ the next Craig Kilborn.
lol i c wut u did thar.... not rly

Old
04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I'm hearing he's been named the new host of Lopez's show, and they're moving Lopez to prime time
Well done.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Cone

i like this cuz our HD feed of TBS is the east coast feed to it's 3 hours ahead.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I have direct tv, I don't get NBC, but I do get TBS in my package, so this is great news for me.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Conan should have just given up on talk shows and become the executive producer of The Simpsons.
gross. a half an hour of the simpsons, even at it's prime, once a week for half of the year wasn't as good as 5 hours of conan a week year round. and even when conan was writing i wonder how many episodes out of a whole season he actually wrote. and as a producer he'd have even less creative influence. at least directly. he'd be sitting at a desk somewhere never to be seen again, and the simpsons may or may not get any better. i never understand the suggestion that he should go back to the simpsons.

Old
04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Reality Check

Actually, I've heard Conan will only be doing live shows M-Th and probably a taped episode on Friday.

So, essentially Conan has the same deal as Letterman.

Cue the Letterman heir rumors..

And for all the people complaining about TBS, Comedy Central wasn't so hot until South Park took off

Last edited by Reality Check: 04-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I don't watch anything involved with Tyler Perry but I believe his shows do very well.
All those crime scene shows seem to do well but it doesn't make them any less awful.

seriously. Tyler Perry should not write anything, even if it's a damn greeting card, he'd probably find some way to make it the corny black people humor that makes him so bafflingly famous.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Kitten Mittons

Wow, that's an interesting choice. I don't watch TBS unless The Office is on.

He should've became a reporter on the Daily Show.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I don't like Lopez's particular brand of Comedy, but his show was reasonably successful. A Conan + Lopez lineup could be fairly potent. TBS has shown a commitment to late night original programing and it's probably a good fit. Shows like SOA are starting to get big near broadcast ratings in key demos, the difference between cable and broadcast is shrinking immensely.

I don't think an HBO Conan with no limits would be much different than the old shows.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post

I don't think an HBO Conan with no limits would be much different than the old shows.

yeah I don't think Conan would do as well with no restrictions. He's edgy but if there are no rules how can one be edgy? TBS is a interesting move and I'm just glad he's not on the Seth Mcfarland network. Conan doesn't seem to be a person who would look comfortable throwing out F bombs here and there.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Pretty much. Conan isn't really a blue comic, he wouldn't make full use of the freedom HBO allows anyway.

Old
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Meanwhile somewhere in Georgia. Hey Ma' !!! That Conan The Comedian Is On The Talking Picture Box Again !!!!!

Old
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
I don't like Lopez's particular brand of Comedy, but his show was reasonably successful. A Conan + Lopez lineup could be fairly potent. TBS has shown a commitment to late night original programing and it's probably a good fit. Shows like SOA are starting to get big near broadcast ratings in key demos, the difference between cable and broadcast is shrinking immensely.

Not true, OTA still gets much higher ratings than cable. Let me know when cable gets 20 million for a new episode of CSI.

Funny how all these franchises like Conan and MNF leave for cable...MNF bragged about having spectacular ratings after leaving OTA. On ABC MNF could get 17 or 18 mil. Now they get at most 10. It's just baffling...if cable is this alleged widespread dominating monster and everyone has cable why haven't the ratings been equal to those of OTA?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nothing's good on cable, because there are a few things worth watching on cable. But OTA still dominates in terms of ratings.

Old
04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
FromChaos22

What kind of guests will he be able to get being on TBS??? I'm sure he won't get the same quality of guests as he did at NBC.

Closed Thread