HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Conan O'Brien on TBS

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
What kind of guests will he be able to get being on TBS??? I'm sure he won't get the same quality of guests as he did at NBC.
Not at all true. Jon Stewart and Colbert get some massive names, and Lopez has pulled stars in as well.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:13 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Not true, OTA still gets much higher ratings than cable.
I never EVER said that Cable got the same ratings as OTA. I said the gap is closing, it is. I also said the ratings on Some individual shows were closing in key demographics.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/12...ience-go/47976

As for your ratings point, total audience is not worth a whole lot. It's all about the key demo. Sports are increasingly going to cable because the cost / benefit model is just better for the networks.

As more people get cable, the audience splits and diversifies. It sort of follows a similar path as music vis-a-vis the internet.

TV is increasingly a Niche world just like everything else the last 20 years. I'd expect it to continue through the next century.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:22 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I have direct tv, I don't get NBC, but I do get TBS in my package, so this is great news for me.
really? I thought all DirecTV people got one NBC or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Pretty much. Conan isn't really a blue comic, he wouldn't make full use of the freedom HBO allows anyway.
Being able to swear isn't the only advantage of HBO. Simply put, that network is willing to take creative risks, and let it's people do what they want. Take Flight of the Concords as a perfect example, almost no swearing and no nudity, but no network other than HBO would ever take the risk with something so out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nothing's good on cable, because there are a few things worth watching on cable. But OTA still dominates in terms of ratings.
Only because people like my mom sit down and say "What's on the 'real channels.'" And flat out ignore cable as even being an option, regardless of quality.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

OTA ratings are huge, but they aren't dominated by any single demographic. Cable ratings are smaller, but they provide clear demographic breakdowns... CSI might be watched by 20 million people aged 18-60, but the majority of 18-25 year olds are watching one of the cable channels. It's about niches.

There was some talk earlier this year about the broadcast networks abandoning their affiliates and becoming cable channels, using their collective clout to command massive subscriber fees. That's the future.

EDIT: Just channel surfing and I came across an ad for Conan's new show on TBS. They are going to promote this like crazy.

Last edited by Brodie: 04-13-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old
04-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
What kind of guests will he be able to get being on TBS??? I'm sure he won't get the same quality of guests as he did at NBC.
NBC never really gave him top guests. They saved them for Leno. That was part of the problem.

He'll get a lot of similar levels guests. And great interviews like Norm MacDonald and Patton Oswalt will go on TBS, they're not stars, they just make for entertaining TV. I'm sure they'll put the focus on trying to get guests that will make for better viewing over guests that have a higher profile.

04-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Cable Deal Puts CoCo before Leno, Letterman

Quote:
...A Canadian broadcaster has not been announced. Most Canadian carriers - but not Vidéotron - carry Peachtree, TBS's sitcom-oriented sister station, in lieu of the main TBS channel. The new O'Brien program will not air on Peachtree, a spokesperson said yesterday...

...As for potential Canadian broadcasters, it's possible that either Rogers Media/Citytv or CTV could put in a bid. CTV could potentially assign the program to its subsidiary Comedy Network, and pair it with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Global TV would seem less likely to buy it, as the show's 11 p.m. broadcast time conflicts with Global's local newscasts.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Cable...#ixzz0kxeMePm5

Old
04-13-2010, 03:42 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot Time View Post
CityTV maybe?

Old
04-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

I don't think getting guests will be a problem for Conan, I wonder if TBS will allow him to use the Bear and other Conan elements. And as many of you know by now, I don't have cable so I wonder if there is any official way to watch online...unfortunately most cable networks are stuck in the 90's and 80's, and don't really put up shows online for people to watch (that was one advantage of being on a OTA network, they frequently put up shows online)

While OTA will eventually be phased out it is still important right now, especially for people like me who don't currently subscribe to cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Only because people like my mom sit down and say "What's on the 'real channels.'" And flat out ignore cable as even being an option, regardless of quality.
Hence the reason you always see me refer to sports events being "hidden on cable" when I talk about the NBA playoffs and other sports on cable. Damn I am so "old school"

Last edited by Mike Emrick: 04-13-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old
04-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
TBS - The channel that has the worst amount of commercials I've ever witnessed, I'm sure some people thought it was just a paid programming channel when they first heard about it and flicked it on only to find that every 30 minute period is littered with 10 minutes of commercials.

This is a company that gets by purely off advertising, they probably should've gone bankrupt years ago but instead of doing the right thing and doing so, they decided to give as little programming as possible instead while having the most amount of commercials.

I might be willing to sit through their crap for Conan though, so maybe they made a smart move lol.

It's the TBS Superstation, that channel that only ever caught on because it played movies, and even then, watching one on their channel is tedious at best. Maybe it's a new era for tbs???
Just figured, for anyone who cares, I'd clarify what a "Superstation" is. They are essentially local TV channels that broadcast over local airwaves but are technologically set up to broadcast nationally. Those I'm aware of are WTBS Atlanta, WGN Chicago, WSBK Boston, and WPIX in New York. I also happen to know the local FOX affiliate here in Vermont is also set up this way, but thus far all they use it for is to provide transmission services for a couple of their competitors - in fact, they even allow the local ABC affiliate to broadcast their local news program since that station canned their joke of a news department years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
In addition, it still leaves the door open for Conan to succeed Letterman as Craig Ferguson has supposedly declined taking that spot. Now, he could pull a Leno, but for now that's his view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Fox was never a sure thing... unlike NBC forcing Leno on their affiliates, Fox cares about success.
These comments defy the facts. Leno was retained by NBC because they didn't want him bolting to another network (FOX or ABC) since they were forcing him out of the Tonight Show involuntarily because of promises they made to Conan. They had to give Jay the primetime show to keep him, and since they then needed it to succeed they had to force it on their local affiliates. Had Jay gone to another network, the evidence now shows he likely would be creaming both Letterman and O'Brien, since he retained all his late night audience for his primetime show (which, unfortunately isn't good enough for primetime ratings) and has regained most of it - AND the top spot in the ratings - with his return to The Tonight Show. Indeed, for all the talk of failure, it seems Leno's primetime show had higher ratings than either Conan's or Letterman's late night shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Does anyone know if Eklund has confirmed this yet
He has Conan being traded to ABC for Barbara Walters and the rights to broadcast reruns of Perfect Strangers and Growing Pains. (e5)

Old
04-13-2010, 11:54 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

TBS shows reruns of the Office, which I like because I only started watching it recently. I remember when I was little all their shows used to start at five minutes past the hour. That was annoying.
Good for Conan. It's not as if TBS is some obscure station like VERSUS or the Hallmark channel. It's freaking TBS. If you have cable and live in the US, you probably get TBS.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot Time View Post
Wasn't he on CityTV before? That would seem a likely destination.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Thought it sounded strange at first, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

I don't like Lopez, but his audience does have the youngest demographic in late night. Conan's audience also trends towards the younger side, so while the total ratings won't be as high on TBS they may hit the target audience in a big way.

Also, less pressure ... his core audience's ratings would be pretty solid for a cable network, but at Fox he'd have been on the hotseat. Big fish in a small pond is better than getting dumped on at a network, as he's found out, and his style suits the niche market better.

There'll probably be plenty of cross-promotion during NBA on TNT as well, which is certainly no small audience.

He gets ownership of his own show. More freedom is good, after his experience with NBC.

And he starts 1/2 hour before the network shows. People who just want their late-night show may watch Conan, and not switch over at 11.35.

Look at Leno's audience, the average age is around 56 ... it's a bunch of old farts. And it's getting older all the time. Network late night is on its way out in terms of relevance.

Old
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

looks like his career is over then. Everybody laughed at NBC but they clearly made the right call. Leno is comfortably number 1 and Conan is exiled to TBS,

Old
04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
looks like his career is over then. Everybody laughed at NBC but they clearly made the right call. Leno is comfortably number 1 and Conan is exiled to TBS,
We'll see

Wonder how long he lasts in this "exile"...I'd be elated if he went to CBS so I could see him on TV again but I sadly admit there's more freedom to do what you want on cable, so his cable show would be a lot more crazier than OTA

Old
04-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
Look at Leno's audience, the average age is around 56 ... it's a bunch of old farts. And it's getting older all the time. Network late night is on its way out in terms of relevance.
I take it you're not planning on living to age 56? Or are you also calling yourself an "old fart" in training?

Old
04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I take it you're not planning on living to age 56? Or are you also calling yourself an "old fart" in training?
That's the average. Consider that there's still a fair number of 30-somethings watching ... which means, there's about an equal number of people around 80 watching to get to that average age of 56. And I do consider people around 80 to be old farts.

Seriously, 56 is an ANCIENT demographic by TV watching standards. Leno may "win" the ratings war, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's worth a whole lot more in advertising revenue. Who's watching is often more important than how many when it comes time to sell an ad slot.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
That's the average. Consider that there's still a fair number of 30-somethings watching ... which means, there's about an equal number of people around 80 watching to get to that average age of 56. And I do consider people around 80 to be old farts.

Seriously, 56 is an ANCIENT demographic by TV watching standards. Leno may "win" the ratings war, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's worth a whole lot more in advertising revenue. Who's watching is often more important than how many when it comes time to sell an ad slot.
Guess you won't have to duck to dodge my point

Old
04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Which is to say, basically all they want is men in their early 20s, with all of our disposable income, and none of the sense to save it.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Melrose Munch

really? why?

this won't make any money.

Old
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Connor McFries
5-14-6-1

CoCo.... Creep?

Eep!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/popc...National_.html

Old
04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Melrose Munch

Wow, what's with the Tyler Perry hate?

If he sucks so much, why are is movies and TV show so successful? Why does he have a multimillion dollar empire?

Old
04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrosfan88 View Post
Wow, what's with the Tyler Perry hate?

If he sucks so much, why are is movies and TV show so successful? Why does he have a multimillion dollar empire?
Everything popular is inherently great, and the more popular something is, it only follows that it's better.

Leno's the best in late-night, Nickelback's the best rock group in the world, and McDonalds is the best fast food on earth. We are truly living in a new golden age.

Old
04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Everything popular is inherently great, and the more popular something is, it only follows that it's better.

Leno's the best in late-night, Nickelback's the best rock group in the world, and McDonalds is the best fast food on earth. We are truly living in a new golden age.
I agree 100%. I just feel the bashing is a little excessive. Every time Perry is mentioned, not just here, but anywhere one the internet, 25+ posters or viewers have to say it sucks!! I mean people wouldn't watch if it sucked so bad.

Old
04-15-2010, 11:15 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
the problem with NBC (and other networks) is that they still use ratings to determine success. To be frank, TV ratings still don't include DVR'd shows and online viewings. I am willing to bet that Conan KILLED leno on online viewing and DVRing stats, where as Leno's main audience doesn't really use either technology.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see TBS skew for some shows that appeal more to Conan's key demo. The goal for TBS isn't to make a ton of money from Conan, but to use Conan basically an advertising tool for their other shows, exactly what Comedy Central does with South Park. Basically, if someone watches Conan on TBS.com, they are going to see 2-3 ads for other TBS shows. And guess who Conan is going to have guests on for at least 1-2 times a week? That's right, actors from TBS/TNT's original content. Its a genius move for TBS imho. Conan won't get the ratings that leno gets on TBS, but TBS will get Conan's loyal viewers on DVR and cross promote a metric **** ton to a valuable key demo.

Old
04-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Reality Check

So..so awesome

Closed Thread