HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Prediction thread

Old
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Playoff Prediction thread

The playoff prediction thread.

Ok the matchups are set.

Your predictions on the first round and your Stanley Cup winner.

Here are mine.

San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - San Jose in 6. It looks to be a mismatch and Colorado struggled down the stretch but San Jose tends to crumble in the playoffs so this may be longer than many would anticipate.

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Can't see this one lasting long. Chicago in 5

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) I would love to pick this one as my upset but Vancouver too deep offensively. Vancoouver in 6

Phoenix (4) vs Detroit (5) - Detroit in 5.

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - Montreal is my second favourite team but they will be no match for the caps but Washington's goaltending is a question mark so it may go longer. Washington in 6.

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - New Jersey in 6

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Buffalo in 7

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 6

Stanley Cup winner. I really like Washington but in most cases teams with question marks in goal don't win the Stanley Cup. Detroit is an older team but with all the injuries early they could surprise (they are my darkhouse pick).

But I will go with Pittsburgh to repeat.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Cam98

washington in 5
new jersey in 6
buffalo in 7
pittsburgh in 6

san jose in 7
chicago in 5
los angeles in 6
detroit in 6

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Here's my Break Down

Western Conference
San Jose(1) v. Colorado(8) - (as hard as this is to say) San Jose in 6
Chicago(2) v. Nashville(7) - Chicago in 5
Vancouver(3) v. Los Angeles(6) - LA in 6
Phoenix(4) v. Detroit(5) - Detroit in 7

Eastern Conference
Washington(1) v. Montreal(8) - Washington in 4
New Jersey(2) v. Philadelphia(7) - NJ in 7
Buffalo(3) v. Boston(6) - Buffalo in 7
Pittsburgh(4) v. Ottawa(5) - Pittsburgh in 5

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
deanmoriarty

I have a strong feeling that Vancouver will get to the finals this year, and might win Stanley.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
I have a strong feeling that Vancouver will get to the finals this year, and might win Stanley.

I'm thinking the same.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - Colorado in 6, Anderson gets hot. Jumbo Joe doesn't elevate his play. He's not built for big-game success.

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Chicago in 6. Goaltending could be an issue in Nashville gets to Niemi/Huet early

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) - LA in 6. Luongo chokes hard.

Phoenix (4) vs Detroit (5) - Phoenix in 6. Bryzgalov outplays Howard.

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - Washington in 4. Montreal doesn't have the defensive system to contain Ovechkin and crew. Unless Halak/Price plan to make 40 some saves a night, this ones a piece of cake for Washington.

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - Philadelphia in 6. If the defense can keep light loads of of Boucher, Philly should have this one. Brodeur is not his same playoff self as shown by last years playoffs and this years Olympics. The Flyers have the depth and grit to go far, just a matter of pulling it all together.

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Buffalo in 5. Boston is a hurting team without Savard, being the lowest scoring team in the league and being matched up with the best goaltender this season doesn't bode well for them.

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 6. Ottawa makes it close, but they don't have the goaltending to contain the Pittsburgh offense.

lol, I realized in everyone of my series, I went to goaltending.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - Colorado in 6, Anderson gets hot. Jumbo Joe doesn't elevate his play. He's not built for big-game success.

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Chicago in 6. Goaltending could be an issue in Nashville gets to Niemi/Huet early

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) - LA in 6. Luongo chokes hard.

Phoenix (4) vs Detroit (5) - Phoenix in 6. Bryzgalov outplays Howard.

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - Washington in 4. Montreal doesn't have the defensive system to contain Ovechkin and crew. Unless Halak/Price plan to make 40 some saves a night, this ones a piece of cake for Washington.

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - Philadelphia in 6. If the defense can keep light loads of of Boucher, Philly should have this one. Brodeur is not his same playoff self as shown by last years playoffs and this years Olympics. The Flyers have the depth and grit to go far, just a matter of pulling it all together.

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Buffalo in 5. Boston is a hurting team without Savard, being the lowest scoring team in the league and being matched up with the best goaltender this season doesn't bode well for them.

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 6. Ottawa makes it close, but they don't have the goaltending to contain the Pittsburgh offense.

lol, I realized in everyone of my series, I went to goaltending.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:49 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Ooh.... I also have that feeling but there is no way I will predict it.

I want to be so wrong.

Old
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
And i have a feeling the smallest big game goalie i the league will pull his usual shenanigans and the Twins will pull their disappearing act.

The Nucks are the Dallas Mavericks of the NHL, a really good regular season team.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And i have a feeling the smallest big game goalie i the league will pull his usual shenanigans and the Twins will pull their disappearing act.

The Nucks are the Dallas Mavericks of the NHL, a really good regular season team.
Jimmi I hope you are so right.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Jimmi I hope you are so right.
You don't have to hope HA, with those factors, add to that the fact that the Twins will also get alot less space, and their defense corps leaves a little something to be desired, it makes perfect sense.

The First Ryan Smyth slap shot goal from the top of the circle will be the beginning of the end.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
You don't have to hope HA, with those factors, add to that the fact that the Twins will also get alot less space, and their defense corps leaves a little something to be desired, it makes perfect sense.

The First Ryan Smyth slap shot goal from the top of the circle will be the beginning of the end.
Yes their defence is battered and bruised. Good points (or perhaps I just want to believe them Just kidding.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
deanmoriarty

I guess you missed the men's hockey at the 2010 Olympics Jimmi?

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Tendencyman

Here are mine.

San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - Colorado in 5.
Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Chicago in 4
Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) - Vancoouver in 6

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - Washington in 5.
New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - New Jersey in 7
Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Buffalo in 6
Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 4

Stanley Cup winner: New Jersey

Tendencyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:48 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

West:
San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8): SJ in 5. Colorado wins 1 at home, but that's all...they struggled in the stretch and nearly got beaten out for a PO spot by a very lacklustre Calgary team

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7): Chicago in 6. Chicago's goaltending could very well be exposed, but Nashville may not have the strength to capitalize on that weakness.

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6): Vancouver in 7 Vancouver could be in for a real fight, as LA is a pretty good team...but Quick hasn't played the best, however Vancouver has a history of shooting themselves in the foot in the POs.

Phoenix (4) vs Detroit (5) Detroit in 6: Detroit isn't an underdog, they just didn't get healthy until the last half of the season, and Phoenix did play really well this year but...a healthy detroit team is a favourite even with a lower seeding. Phoenix could take this to 7 with solid goaltending and a fantastic coach leading them.

East:

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8): Washington in 4. I suspect this will be the only sweep of the first round, if only because Washington is that good. Unless their goaltending utterly fails them, of course.

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7): NJ in 6. I like Brodeur and Kovy over Philly.

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6): Buffalo in 7. I wanted to give Boston the upset but I don't know if they can win the goaltender battle, which is, imo, where it's going to be decided.

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5): Pittsburg in 7. An upset, I guess, but Pittsburgh is a very good team and while I really like Ottawa, I don't envy them getting Pittsburgh first. Pittsburgh is the defending champs and still a very good team. Also, CrosbyCrosbyCrosby

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
My perdictions:

West:

San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - San Jose in 5 games. Colorado is just happy to have made it & San Jose out matches them in every aspect. I think this is San Jose's year and they will finally have their playoff success - stanley cup.

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Chicago in 5 games. If the Hawks' goal tending can even be average, they will have no problems.

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) I think this will be a tight series - Canucks in 7.

Phoenix (4) vs Detroit (5) - Phoenix in 7 games. They've been really impressive, and I think Detroit is tiring.

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - As long as Washington gets average goal tending - Washington in 4 games.

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - I can't help but think there will be an upset here. Philly has a lot of fire power, but it will depend on if Boucher can play his best. Philly in 7.

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Buffalo in 5 games. Boston will still be missing some important players, and I haven't been impressed with them the last couple of months.

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 6 games.

Pittsburgh is just too good.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
I guess you missed the men's hockey at the 2010 Olympics Jimmi?
No I didn't I remember a guy who didn't make the tough save (see both of the USA goals), and looked like he forgot how to play goal in the OT. If the USA had had control of the puck at all, they would have won.

Old
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
0ilerman
The King

Caps in 5
Jersey in 6
Buffalo in 7
Pittsburgh in 6

SJ in 6
Chicago in 5
Vancouver in 5
Detroit in 6

Wings Devils in the SCF
Wings win.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

SJ-Colorado: The Avs look to be this year's St. Louis. Good team, bright future, great season, but I think they had to spend their wad getting into the playoffs. Sharks in 5.

Chicago-Nashville. I really like Nashville. Gritty, hard working club that will leave nothing on the table. I'm also weary of Quenneville's inability to adjust in-game. I think this will be similar to last year's Chicago-Calgary series, where in the end the Hawks had the skill to go along with the toughness and that put them over the top. Niemi has looked good for the Hawks all year, so I'm not concerned about their goaltending. Hawks in 6, but if I wanted to go lay some cash on a big upset, this might be the one.

Vancouver-LA: Big question marks in Vancouver, and perhaps in the place where they'd least expect it, between the pipes. Luongo has never proven himself to be a big-game goaltender, and has looked very shaky for a month now. People underestimate just how positionally and defensively sound the Canucks play in front of him. If the Kings can generate scoring chances, they will score goals. Chicago finally broke Vancouver's defensive scheme last year and opened the floodgates. Can the Sedin's answer? They've often been hard to find at crunch time over the years, and the King's have a big, solid defense corps to handle their cycle. Watch for our old buddy Matt Greene in this series. If Quick can turn in a B+ or better series, I like LA. Kings in 6.

Phoenix-Detroit: The Wings are on a big roll, but momentum means little heading into the postseason. The Coyotes have a solid advantage in net, and their team defense gives nothing away to Detroit's. It's been 23 years since the Winnipeg/Phx franchise won a playoff series, so you can't say they're not due. Gimme the Desert Dogs in 7.

Washington-Montreal: Probably bringing back memories of Bruins-Habs in 1971 for some old time Montreal fans, but I think it might be wishful thinking here. Ovechkin will have the hunger this year, and Halak just isn't Ken Dryden. Caps in 4.

NJ-Philly: Could be an upset brewing here. The Flyers haven't lived up to expectations this year, while the Devils probably exceeded them in the eyes of many. If Philly can hit that "ON" switch (easier said than done), there's no reason that they can't do some damage this spring. Brodeur just doesn't instill confidence in the crease like he used to after repeated pedestrain performances post-lockout. I'm think I'm gonna go with the upset here, Flyers in 6.

Buffalo-Boston: The most difficult series to call. Both are strong in net, and strong behind the bench. I'm expecting a low scoring series between these two. Zdeno Chara is the X-factor here. If he's healthy and on his game, Buffalo's undersized forward corps is going to have a difficult time finding space. Boston is banged-up lot, but they could have rolled over and died when Savard went down and a lot of people wrote them off. I really like both of these clubs, and it's a shame that one will be going home early. Bruins in 7.

Pittsburgh-Ottawa: A good season in Ottawa, but an unlucky draw for them in the defending champs. With a Game 7 Cup win under his belt, there's really no concern with Fleury in the net this year. With Crosby, we're seeing one of those rare players that can will his team to victory and elevate everyone around him. Sens put up a worthy fight, but they just won't have an answer for Sid. Penguins in 5.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
JonQuixote

SAN JOSE SHARKS over Colorado Avalanche in 5. (Sharks get a warm-up lap to give them a running start at the real playoffs)

NASHVILLE PREDATORS over Chicago Blackhawks in 7. (My lonely pick)

VANCOUVER CANUCKS over Los Angeles Kings in 7 (I'd love to pick the Kings here, but I don't know if their goaltending cuts it)

DETROIT RED WINGS over Phoenix Happy To Be Heres in 6.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS over Montreal Canadiens in 4 (This will be like watching a lion eat a puppy)

NEW JERSEY DEVILS over Philadelphia Flyers in 7 (Philly's owned the Devils this year but I think Kovalchuk and Parise break the Flyers' goaltending. Probably a great series to watch)

BOSTON BRUINS over the Buffalo Sabres in 7 (If they can get past the first round and if Savard can come back, the Bs can make some noise)

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS over the Ottawa Senators in 4 (Brian Elliott, welcome to your nightmare)

Canucks/Capitals SCF

Caps in 6

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Spawn

Western Conference
San Jose(1) v. Colorado(8) - Sharks in 5 (They're a 2nd round choke team)
Chicago(2) v. Nashville(7) - Chicago in 6
Vancouver(3) v. Los Angeles(6) - Vancouver in 7
Phoenix(4) v. Detroit(5) - Detroit in 5

Eastern Conference
Washington(1) v. Montreal(8) - Washington in 4
New Jersey(2) v. Philadelphia(7) - Flyers in 5. They've mopped the floor with the Devils this year
Buffalo(3) v. Boston(6) - Buffalo in 6
Pittsburgh(4) v. Ottawa(5) - Ottawa in 7 (irrational pick, but whatever)

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Beerfish

San Jose (1) vs Colorado (8) - San Jose in 7

Chicago (2) vs Nashville (7) - Nashville in 7

Vancouver (3) vs Los Angeles (6) - Canucks in 6

East

Washington (1) vs Montreal (8) - Washington in 5

New Jersey (2) vs Philadelphia(7) - New Jersey in 5

Buffalo (3) vs Boston (6) - Boston in 7

Ottawa (4) vs. Pittsburgh (5) - Pittsburgh in 4

Stanley Cup winner. Pittsburgh

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote