HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Lands BlackBerry as Playoffs Sponsor

Old
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Hamilton Tigers

vCash: 500
NHL Lands BlackBerry as Playoffs Sponsor

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...80f3f7f6027732

Quote:
The National Hockey League has landed BlackBerry as the exclusive sponsor for its online video series, All-Access Pre-Game Show.

The series will run on NHL.com each afternoon during the Stanley Cup Playoffs, which begin April 14. Taped every morning at the NHL Store in New York, the show features previews of that night’s key playoff matchups.

BlackBerry is using the sponsorship to promote BlackBerry Messenger, its IM product. During episodes of All-Access, NHL reporters and anchors will receive news and tips via the Messenger service, which they will call out to viewers.
Anyone read any significance into this beyond this deal?

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Well, if its regarding JB, JB is just one guy and theres a whole team of ppl working for Blackberry.

Entirely possible the marketing team or what-have you decided to strike a deal with Blackberry.

Makes sense, no? Blackberry is Canadian, so they should try to get Hockey related to their product.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Not unheard of for companies to get sponsors that send out information to customers etc, good move.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Money tends to smooth things over. If Balls was to show humility I believe he can get an expansion team.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

the NHL and Blackberry have worked together a lot

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sharks announced Canadian Solar as the title/presenting sponsor for their playoffs.

I can imagine that JB is showing he's still a hockey fan, hoping to parley some good will from the BOG for a future (following the rules and keeping Rodier out of the process) bid.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...80f3f7f6027732

Anyone read any significance into this beyond this deal?
Nope. None. Not even a little bit, IMO.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Sharks announced Canadian Solar as the title/presenting sponsor for their playoffs.

I can imagine that JB is showing he's still a hockey fan, hoping to parley some good will from the BOG for a future (following the rules and keeping Rodier out of the process) bid.
I hope so., If he does shape up and learn to be cooperative with business partners, I think he could be one of the best owners in the League.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I hope so., If he does shape up and learn to be cooperative with business partners, I think he could be one of the best owners in the League.
umm, so he should kowtow to a bunch of propeller-heads who can barely keep their business afloat? Beg them to take his $250M or whatever it was? Yeah, he really wanted to be business partners with Oren Koules & Len Barry! Or whoever owns Nashville! CHarles Wang (the worst of the lot is the owner of CA!)

In case you folks haven't noticed, the value of NHL franchises has dive-bombed over the last few months. Along with any pretense of the NHL being a '4th league' in the US.

If these clowns get their act together I suppose they could come back to Balsille - but they would probably have to get rid of Gary. Given the fact that many of the 'ownership groups' in the US are hanging on by a ****-hair, and many of these questionable owners owe their franchises to Gary - I would say the league can expect to continue their long slide towards mediocrity and obscurity without JB.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
umm, so he should kowtow to a bunch of propeller-heads who can barely keep their business afloat? Beg them to take his $250M or whatever it was? Yeah, he really wanted to be business partners with Oren Koules & Len Barry! Or whoever owns Nashville! CHarles Wang (the worst of the lot is the owner of CA!)

In case you folks haven't noticed, the value of NHL franchises has dive-bombed over the last few months. Along with any pretense of the NHL being a '4th league' in the US.

If these clowns get their act together I suppose they could come back to Balsille - but they would probably have to get rid of Gary. Given the fact that many of the 'ownership groups' in the US are hanging on by a ****-hair, and many of these questionable owners owe their franchises to Gary - I would say the league can expect to continue their long slide towards mediocrity and obscurity without JB.
So... you don't know who owns Nashville, think Barrie and Koules still own Tampa, and think that JB would bring the league out of the "long slide towards mediocrity and obscurity." Alrighty then!

I can't see a scenario that it is the league "going back" to JB and not the other way around. All he needs to do is follow the rules, all that's holding him back imo.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post

Don't forget who owns your sens. Not exactly the cover boy for ethical businessman of the year.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Don't forget who owns your sens. Not exactly the cover boy for ethical businessman of the year.
Or the entire situation in Nashville, or how about Wang, or Wirtz. The methods used by Wirtz to build his liquor empire are legendary and a throwback to the late 1800s

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
So... you don't know who owns Nashville, think Barrie and Koules still own Tampa, and think that JB would bring the league out of the "long slide towards mediocrity and obscurity." Alrighty then!

I can't see a scenario that it is the league "going back" to JB and not the other way around. All he needs to do is follow the rules, all that's holding him back imo.
ummm NO ONE knows who owns Nashville - even the Nashville owners! And maybe you didn't hear, but the Barry team owned Tampa when he was bidding for the 'Yotes.

Do you really think that one of the most high profile businessmen in the tech world wants to be business partners with the rich collection of scum that are the NHL owners? I mean really?

Rheinsdork is their idea of a great owner - a crooked rat who is trying to screw the city of Glendale to add a few more dollars to his fortune, and has mob ties. What great publicity for the NHL. I wouldn't let this bunch in the door of my house. I'd be too afraid they'd steal the toilet paper or the fertilizer off my lawn.

Charles Wang just being seen in public with this guy would be embarrassing to Balsille. 'Business partners'
Do you know how other tech companies view CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
No doubt, at least a dope dealer has a regular revenue stream.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
this has little to do with JB.

from a business standpoint, BB execs and marketing represent the opportunity the NHL gives them. NHL fans have the highest income per capita of the major sports, many are also more educated than fans of other sports. This is the market BB wants to reach. JB or not, BB has to do this.

04-13-2010, 05:51 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

wow....

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Midnight

Minor question: isn't the company's name RIM, not BlackBerry? Or is there a subsidiary of RIM named BlackBerry?

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:33 PM
DekeTretiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Minor question: isn't the company's name RIM, not BlackBerry? Or is there a subsidiary of RIM named BlackBerry?

RIM [Research in Motion] is the company, BlackBerry is the product.

DekeTretiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeTretiak View Post
RIM [Research in Motion] is the company, BlackBerry is the product.
That's what I thought. That being the case, how can "BlackBerry" (a product) sponsor anything?

(I know I'm probably just hung up on technicalities here, but then again this is a board where legalese gets more attention than usual.)

Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
That's what I thought. That being the case, how can "BlackBerry" (a product) sponsor anything?

(I know I'm probably just hung up on technicalities here, but then again this is a board where legalese gets more attention than usual.)
you are

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Jeffrey93

I gotta think that if the NHL viewed Balsillie (co-CEO of Research in Motion) as such an awful person and somebody of such 'bad character' they wouldn't be associated with his business at all if they could help it.

So...either they can't help it and had no other options....or they really don't think that negatively of the guy and are happy to partner with RIM/Jim for the playoffs.

It would be nice if they overpaid or something to smooth things over from last summer....but since it's RIM doing the sponsoring and not Jim himself I don't think that is very likely.

There is a difference between the business and the individual....but I have to believe that if the NHL offices really felt that Balsillie was not trustworthy or whatever tripe they came up with to reject him...I can't imagine they would want to enter into a business partnership like this with the company he is co-CEO of.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
I gotta think that if the NHL viewed Balsillie (co-CEO of Research in Motion) as such an awful person and somebody of such 'bad character' they wouldn't be associated with his business at all if they could help it.

So...either they can't help it and had no other options....or they really don't think that negatively of the guy and are happy to partner with RIM/Jim for the playoffs.

It would be nice if they overpaid or something to smooth things over from last summer....but since it's RIM doing the sponsoring and not Jim himself I don't think that is very likely.

There is a difference between the business and the individual....but I have to believe that if the NHL offices really felt that Balsillie was not trustworthy or whatever tripe they came up with to reject him...I can't imagine they would want to enter into a business partnership like this with the company he is co-CEO of.
There is a vast vast difference between becoming part of a group of owners in a selective industry versus making an advertising deal.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:33 PM
MontrealHabitant

I don't like it, I was hoping RIM would just ignore the NHL. For their own good that is.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Folks, let's keep the discussion on the sponsorship, not the failed purchase attempts.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Didn't Balsille get removed as chairman of RIM? I thought there were major loses company suffered as a result of mistakes made by him and he had to step aside

I could have sworn he was the not in charge of his company and that most of the decisions are made via an exectuive board for which he is only co-chariman

So RIM working with NHL is not a decision up to him

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

The same way the Samsung Omnia II sponsored the Olympics.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote