HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Lands BlackBerry as Playoffs Sponsor

Old
04-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Jeffrey93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There is a vast vast difference between becoming part of a group of owners in a selective industry versus making an advertising deal.
Yes, yes there is.
However...if he was looked at as being "that bad", the league would be even trying to avoid partnering with his company for sponsorships as well, if they could.

If you just can't stand a guy....don't trust him farther than you can spit....he wanted to invest in your business and you said "Absolutely not!"....then he wanted to partner with you in an advertising campaign to benefit both you and him....would you do it?

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Didn't Balsille get removed as chairman of RIM? I thought there were major loses company suffered as a result of mistakes made by him and he had to step aside

I could have sworn he was the not in charge of his company and that most of the decisions are made via an exectuive board for which he is only co-chariman

So RIM working with NHL is not a decision up to him
He voluntarily stepped down and voluntarily paid for costs after the back dating issue. The company (and Balsillie) were up front about what they did, in fact if I remember correctly RIM noticed the issue themselves.

Either way....they are a major sponsor for the NHL and Balsillie is a major part of that company. You don't partner with a company when you have such distaste for the co-CEO of that company, if you can help it.

Jeffrey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
I don't like it, I was hoping RIM would just ignore the NHL. For their own good that is.
For their own good?!?!

The NHL fan demographic is well educated higher income tech savvy people.(according to recent Experian marketing reports)

Isn't that the target audience RIM wants?!?

Business is business and RIM wants to sell cellphones, not stick it to the NHL cause their CEO didn't get into the special BOG club.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:52 AM
htpwn

Bill Daly on OTR

Asked which phone he prefers, Blackberry or Iphone:

http://watch.tsn.ca/off-the-record/o...14/#clip288994

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
Yes, yes there is.
However...if he was looked at as being "that bad", the league would be even trying to avoid partnering with his company for sponsorships as well, if they could.

If you just can't stand a guy....don't trust him farther than you can spit....he wanted to invest in your business and you said "Absolutely not!"....then he wanted to partner with you in an advertising campaign to benefit both you and him....would you do it?
I would under only one circumstance, and that being the hope that this guy - who, if he was willing to be more cooperative on management details, would probably make a fairly good partner - would eventually moderate his more aggressive behavior and thus become a better business partner going forward.

Think of it as prospect development. His upside is high, but he's not yet NHL-ready.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ion_Series.php

So is St. Jim Baldsilly trying to steal a MLB team for Hamilton now?? Blackberry has been a MLB sponsor for years yet MLB supported the NHL in it's court battle with St. Jim. This is a sponsorship deal period nothing more nothing less Same as Bridgestone, Bud Light, Verizon, ect

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:17 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_...80f3f7f6027732

Anyone read any significance into this beyond this deal?
All it says to me is Balsillie and RIM have determined that viewers, listeners and attendees of hockey games are a viable target market for RIM products.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Bryan574
RON PAUL 2012

I just find it odd the very first playoffs back since the the heated Bankruptcy battle that Blackberry and the NHL have this partnership with the Blackberry all access pre game show and Blackberry sponsoring the playoffs. Also how interesting Jim's bio relates to that

http://www.rim.com/newsroom/media/executive/

Quote:
Since 1992, Jim Balsillie has been co-CEO at Research In Motion (RIM), maker of the world renowned BlackBerry wireless solution. At RIM, Jim is responsible for driving corporate strategy, business development, marketing, sales, and finance.

wouldn't they want to keep their distance from him for I don't know longer than 8 months I mean he called the NHL a illegal cartel , or has all been forgiven?

Bryan574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2010, 08:07 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan574 View Post
I just find it odd the very first playoffs back since the the heated Bankruptcy battle that Blackberry and the NHL have this partnership with the Blackberry all access pre game show and Blackberry sponsoring the playoffs. Also how interesting Jim's bio relates to that

http://www.rim.com/newsroom/media/executive/

wouldn't they want to keep their distance from him for I don't know longer than 8 months I mean he called the NHL a illegal cartel , or has all been forgiven?
Blackberry has had a relationship with the NHL. Those who have blackberries can testify to that by looking at their screen, where they have the "unlimited NHL" app. This is simply a new deal.

There is IMO a distinction between doing business with a public company like RIM and doing business with the CEO acting in his own personal affairs. Jim Balsillie does not own RIM. He is not a controlling shareholder. It is not his company.

As far as the above duties are concerned, I think I feel safe in asserting that he is not out there hustling up deals of this magnitude. He deals with folks like Rogers and AT&T, not garden variety sponsorship deals that RIM sets up probably dozens of times a year. He is too busy "scenarioizing", as he puts it.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote