HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of season grades

Old
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
End of season grades

A+:
Whitney - First player in an Oiler uniform to remind me of Chris Pronger since he left
Penner - 30 goals and a + rating. 4.25Mil. And supposedly an overpayment

A:
Brule - That's why he was drafted so high (took a while)
Visnovsky
Jones
Johnson

B:
Gagner - peforming decently
Potulny - better than Syvret
Gilbert - better since Whitney came
Plante - he looked good in spite of how bad he was supposed to be

C:
Strudwick - good warrior but that's all he is
Horcoff - stop aiming for the crest
Dubnyk - He tried
Deslariers - He tried
Stone - Played big
JFJ - why did he start on the top line?
Grebeshkov - too many giveaways
Peckham - too old, washed up, injured, and can't bend it like he did when he was with Man U and Real Madrid

D:
Staios - glad he's gone
Cogliano - Where did he go? He's invisible. And he can't take a faceoff
Chorney - lol edited
Smid - stop holding the post
Pisani

F:
Souray - his comments in the media and fighting when he was injured
POS - just look at his stats
Nilsson - all the skill in the world but doesn't use it

Withdraw (injury)
Hemsky
Kabibulin

Last edited by Mr.Prez: 04-12-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
alanschu

vCash: 500
Brule gets an A and a B?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Giant Moo

Makes you wonder what Horcoff has to do (or not do) to get a failing grade from some people. C? Give me a break.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Brule gets an A and a B?
crap. hit the button too early

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:46 PM
jsho

K...what? Brule gets an A and B? Chorney should learn to take a faceoff? Potulny gets a B for being better that Syvret? Peckham is to old at 22? Stone also only played 5 more games than Hemsky so it doesnt really make sense one gets a grade one doesnt.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
CupofOil

Smid gets a D?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
FostAus4

isnt Peckham 22?

i agree with most of yours

also what about comrie?

edit: i disagree with the jones grade. he only got 1 point in 8 games and had a -3. he was injured, but i wouldnt give him an A, maybe a B/C

FostAus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Beerfish

Whitney - A
Penner - B+

Brule - B
Visnovsky- B
Jones - C-
Johnson - B

Gagner - C+
Potulny - C+
Gilbert - C+
Plante - ? too few games

Strudwick - C
Horcoff - F
Dubnyk - C
Deslariers - C
Stone - C-
JFJ - C-
Grebeshkov - D
Peckham - too old? huh? C

Staios - B (Much better than previous years.)
Cogliano - C, B+ once they gave him any ice time, pp time and linemates.
Chorney - C+
Smid - B+
Pisani - C

Souray - B-, up to a B for his comments
POS - D
Nilsson - D

Withdraw (injury)
Hemsky - B+ until injury
Kabibulin - C+ until injury

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I couldn't take this seriously after seeing Smid with a D. Him and Visnovsky were the only bright spot on this team for half the season.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Makes you wonder what Horcoff has to do (or not do) to get a failing grade from some people. C? Give me a break.
Look at it this way: C is good for transfer credit. One can only hope....

Last edited by The Moose: 04-12-2010 at 04:16 PM.
The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

O' Captain, my Captain...

missing?

worthy of psychoanalysis?

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
jfhlbuffy

Bahahahahaha Smid with a D.

Credibility: F-

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
i have issues with your smid grade

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Ghostbuster

Passing grade on a failing team? This has to be on a curve.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Look at it this way: C is good for transfer credit. One can only hope....
I like your style.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Passing grade on a failing team? This has to be on a curve.
It's the same math that allows Staples to show that only 4 Oilers are Truly minus on the +/-.

It's like a system where everyone wins just for participating.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
It's the same math that allows Staples to show that only 4 Oilers are Truly minus on the +/-.

It's like a system where everyone wins just for participating.
Ahh yes, the "Thanks for trying" ribbon.

Ghostbuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Ahh yes, the "Thanks for trying" ribbon.
That gets us into the playoffs, right?

Old
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Penner - A-
Whitney - *B+
Smid - B
Brule - B
Gagner - B
Comrie - B-
Gilbert - B-
Johnson - B-
Pouliot - B-
Stortini - B-
Potulny - B-
Horcoff - C
Pisani - C
Delauriers - C
Dubnyk - C
Cogliano - C
Moreau - D+
Nilsson - D+
O'Sullivan - D

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
A Classy Banana

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Whitney - A
Penner - B+

Brule - B
Visnovsky- B
Jones - C-
Johnson - B

Gagner - C+
Potulny - C+
Gilbert - C+
Plante - ? too few games

Strudwick - C
Horcoff - F
Dubnyk - C
Deslariers - C
Stone - C-
JFJ - C-
Grebeshkov - D
Peckham - too old? huh? C

Staios - B (Much better than previous years.)
Cogliano - C, B+ once they gave him any ice time, pp time and linemates.
Chorney - C+
Smid - B+
Pisani - C

Souray - B-, up to a B for his comments
POS - D
Nilsson - D

Withdraw (injury)
Hemsky - B+ until injury
Kabibulin - C+ until injury
this

A Classy Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
ogorr

You sir get an F+

A-

Penner - Had a great season but the lull in the middle (some would argue due to no fault of his own) knocks him down a notch
Visnovsky - Had a very solid season

B

Brule - Grew alot this year, excited to see whats to come next year
Whitney - Impressed in a short amount of time, some penalties would have been costly if the games he played in meant something. Looking forward to seeing him and gilbert next year
Smid - Played great IMO but he needs to stay healthy

B- / C+

Gagner - needs to realize something, I'm not quite sure what that is but hes close.
Comrie - Played relatively well when in the line up, hope the oil give him another shot next year. One of the few small guys that has a fiesty side to him
Potulny - Very suprising season, I really like this kid, hope we have room for him next year

C

Johnson - good in the short time here, probably earned himself another contract
Gilbert - Played terrible up until Whitney arrived but really stepped up afterwards, would have been much lower if not for the final 15 games.
Pouliot - Liked how he played this year, I think next year we may see a lot of improvement.
Strudwick - Played admirably considering

Below C

I won't comment on everyone else but it ranged from inconsistent to down right foul. To many passengers this year and not enough people willing to sacrifice or commit to making a difference. This team needs alot from improved leadership to execution. I was really disappointed in Nilson and POS this year because they have the tools to make an impact but so often they just go through the motions. This team was in a tough spot fom December onwards so it's tough to really make a fair evaluation on a lot of players. I would like to have seen how this team competed under pressure but it wasn't in the cards. I often wonder how different performances would be (for the better or worse) if some of the games down the stretch meant something.

I have left out Hemsky, Khabibulin and who ever else missed significant time and am to pissed to fairly comment on Souray.

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Penner - A-
Whitney - *B+
Smid - B
Brule - B
Gagner - B
Comrie - B-
Gilbert - B-
Johnson - B-
Pouliot - B-
Stortini - B-
Potulny - B-
Horcoff - C
Pisani - C
Delauriers - C
Dubnyk - C
Cogliano - C
Moreau - D+
Nilsson - D+
O'Sullivan - D
This is pretty accurate.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Delta Cubes

Forwards:

Dustin Penner A : Slowed down after Hemsky got injured but still managed to reach 32 goals - 63 points
Sam Gagner B : Would've had a career high in goals if not for injury
Gilbert Brule B+ : Pleasant surprise. A lot of people had him labeled as a bust but he had a rebound year and put up 17 goals and 37 points, playing mostly 3rd line minutes.
Shawn Horcoff C: Doesn't warrant his contract but has put up an almost PPG pace in the past 20 games or so. Good third line center.
Patrick O'sullivan D : Inconsistent and useless. Not a fan at all.
Ryan Potulny B : Pleasant surprise for the Oilers. Called up and has put up 15 goals and 32 points playing mainly 3rd/4th line minutes.
Andrew Cogliano C+ : Terrible start to the season. Didn't get going until he started playing with Penner and Brule after the deadline.
Robert Nilsson C- : Inconsistent. He gives you highlight reel goals once in awhile but disappears for the rest of the time.
Ales Hemsky N/A : PPG until the injury.
Mike Comrie B- : Out with mono for half the season, but when he's in the roster, he's one of the better players. He plays a big game.
Ethan Moreau F : I think it's almost unanimous among fans that we want him gone. His untimely penalties are just terrible.
Marc Pouliot C: Missed over half the season with a Hernia but was decently effective when in lineup.
Zack Stortini B: Plays his heart out every game.
Jean Francois Jaques D: Plays like a teddy bear
Ryan Jones N/A: Has barely played any games with the Oilers since he got here, but he's looked alright in the games that he has played in.
Fernando Pisani C: Out with an injury for a lot of the season like the rest of the team. He's definitely lost his touch since the playoff run.

Defense:

Ryan Whitney A-: I wasn't a huge fan of the Visnovsky trade, but since he's been here, he and Gilbert have been playing like a poor mans Keith-Seabrook.
Tom Gilbert B: Terrible season (I'd attribute most of it playing with an enigma like Grebeshkov) until Whitney got here. He's put up 19 points in 20 games since the trade deadline.
Lubomir Visnovsky B: One of my favourite defenseman. Sad to see him go, but I don't think the coaching staff and Visnovsky worked very well together.
Ladislav Smid B+: Before his injury, he was playing outstanding. He's turning into a pretty good shutdown defenseman.
Sheldon Souray C: Injured most of the season but he wasn't playing very well the games that he did play.
Aaron Johnson B : Another pleasant surprise this season. Can't believe we got him and a 3rd for Staois.
Steve Staois D: Workhorse, but he's nearing the end of his career.
Jason Strudwick C: Decent 6th/7th defenseman.
Taylor Chorney/Theo Peckham/Dean Arsene B- : Playing pretty well for AHL call ups.

Goalies:
Khabi B : Played well until the injury
Dubnyk/Deslauries B : Some games they look amazing, other games they lack. Played well considering the situation they were put in

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Oilers4Life2

No way Smid deserves a D. And how do Johnson and Jones get an A?

Oilers4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Dazed and Confused

Forwards
A-/B+ Penner:
Fantastic season for him, I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams saw him having 30-30 type year after how last one went; + the fact he was a + player was terrific considering the quality of this team. Only thing that cost him was his midseason slump.
B Gagner
Nice season by the kid. Looked competent defencively, and started his PPG run a couple months earlier then the last two years, which is a very promising sign.
B- Brule
Much like the rest of the team injurys hurt Gilbert's season, but when he was in the game he was a noticeable in a good way most nights. He managed to be strong on the forecheck, and wasn't afraid to use his cannon of a shot. Still needs to work on his passing though.
B- Comrie
"What could have been..." should be the storyline for Comrie`s season. When he wasn't fighting Mono or other aliments, he was a strong contributing member to this team, and way the best of the smurfs outside of Gagner. Not to metion his fisty side, which was always nice to see on a team that lacked a pulse
B-/C+ Cogliano
A strong finish saved his season and helped his grade move up form a C-/D, At least during his struggles offencively at the start and midpoint of the season, he wasn't getting scored on, which was a positive.
C+ Potulny
Nice start to the season for Potulny, but cooled as it when on. Nice player to have around due to his shot and versatility.
C+ Pouliot
Played well when he got back into the line up after missing 1/2 the season. Though he played well both offencively and defencively. Very similar to Potulny in the sence of a nice player to have around as he's incredibly versatile
C Jacques
Did what he's here to do: Bang people around and cause hell on the forecheck, but the question still stands: can he do anything else? also can his back hold up for an entire season?
C Stortini
When he gets under the oppositions skin he's incredibly effective player, sadly for what ever reason (outside of lack of effort) he doesn't always do this, be it from not being able to catch and actually hit the other players or the fact that the other team was normally emotionally disengaged from the game and in cruise control after scoring 3 quick goals on JDD.
Should spent his summer watching Chris Neil high-lights
C- Horcoff
Horrible, Horrible start to the season where he seemingly couldn't do anything right. Thankfully for everyone's sake, Horcoff's rebounded nicely since the TD and actually started to look somewhat like the player we gave 5.5 mil to
D Nilsson
So much flash, and honestly doesn't look horrible out there, but sadly there's just no results and that's all that really matters especially where you're relied upon to produce offence
D Pisani
Will always have a place in this city's heart because of his play in 06, but it's clearly the end of the line for him.
I wish you only luck Fernando with whatever you choose to do from here on out
F Moreau
So... 2 million for a year of bad penalties, and idiotic play. What more do I have to say?

Oh yes, Don't let the door hit you on the way out!!! (really we don't need any elbow dents on it and also please refrain from slashing it with your stick )
F O'Sullivan
I truly can't think of one thing that he did well this season, from being a sniper that can't snipe, to the lack luster effort night after night, to the complete inability to play defence, to unwillingness to throw or take hit 99% of the time... If there's ever a a hockey dictionary made, his photo should be next to the word useless.

Defence:
B+ Whitney
Mmmm, crow tastes good.
B+ Smid
break out player of the year for this team, really stepped into his own playing next to Visnovsky.
I'm a little wary that he was a product of Visnovsky, but the thing he has going for him is that Visnovsky's production fell off after he when down, so maybe it was more of a 2 way street instead of Lubo just making him look good a la Pronger and MAB
B- Gilbert
Not a great start so say the least, but to be fair wasn't really in a position to succeed playing with Grebeshkov and Souray. Has looked like the Tom Gilbert that played next to Pitkanen and earned that 4 million contract since being paired with Whitney
B- Johnson
Hot start and hasn't looked out of place in his time here. Would welcome him back as the #5/6 assuming the cost isn't insane.
C- Strudwick
Don't mind the guy and for what he's been asked to do he's done about as well as a guy like him can do, but even with that in mind I hope we have a better #7 than a 35 year old Strudwick.
F Chorney
Started off well, but it just seems like the wheels have come off, actually let me rephrase that, the wheels came off and he came to a stop on railway tracks, and subsequently got hit by and derailed a train carrying nuclear waste...

Goalies:
Deslauriers: C-
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Never before have I see a goalie run so hot and so cold from just period to period. it always seems like 1 goal or less, or he's been lit up for 4+
Dubnyk: C-
Started of his career in probably the worst way possible, but after he's gotten that first win he's looked like a guy who has legit NHL potential. Of the two I would keep DD over JDD

Incomplete
B+ Hemsky
Much like Comrie: "what could have been". PPG though 22 games not playing like we know Hemsky can
B-/C+ Stone
I liked Stone this season, wasn't afraid to get in on the forecheck and of all our physical bottom 6'ers, he has by far and away the best hockey sense
C Jones
Looked decent when on the ice, good motor, could skate well and played physical, though same question as Jacques: can he do anything else?
B/F Khabibulin
On ice he looked good, off ice... not so much
F Souray
Injuries ruined his season no question about it, but when he was on the ice he was horrible, nowhere near the rock he was last year: stats that stand out
Games: 37, =/-: -19, PP Goals: 0

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote