HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Goaltending Thread (Current/Future)

Old
11-14-2013, 08:56 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
General Goaltending Thread (Current/Future)

Mod EDIT: General Ducks goaltending thread. Formerly called "What are the Ducks Goaltending plans moving forward?"
_____

I'm hoping the fan base can shed some light on what's going to happen between the pipes for the Ducks. Currently Fasth is in the AHL and Andersen and Hiller are spot starting?

Will they move one of these 3? Will Fasth finish the year in the AHL?

Some insight would be great.

Last edited by Vipers31: 11-21-2013 at 04:34 AM.
markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Theridion

Seems like a goalie has to be traded when Fasth come back.

People will debate whether its Fasth or Hiller that needs to go.

I guess with rumor that Nashville has asked about Hiller incase Rinne is out for a while, means that they are interested in getting the vertigoalie.

I think Fasth + Anderson makes sense. Especially now in the year. If that combo struggles, you have enough year left to recover... as opposed to making a trade at the deadline.

If Nashville wants Hiller before Fasth is ready, then someone is goina get a callup to ride the bench.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Some injury concern with Fasth is holding things back a little.

He`d (Fasth) be great duo with Andersen if he`d stay healthy, which he haven`t been able to do in the NHL. Fasth and Andersen were 2 best goalies in SEL in 11/12 season.

Hiller still has the biggest experience, although he`s kind of the odd man out, very likely. According to some rumors, and mentioned on TSN, the Ducks are shopping him, thanks to Andersens amazing play.

One way or another, a lot is depending on Fasths health and from what we`d get in return for Hiller. If we can pack him for something good, i think the deal will happen, if not - we could stay with those goalies until Hiller leaves for FA.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I'm hoping the fan base can shed some light on what's going to happen between the pipes for the Ducks. Currently Fasth is in the AHL and Andersen and Hiller are spot starting?

Will they move one of these 3? Will Fasth finish the year in the AHL?

Some insight would be great.
Fasth is in the AHL for conditioning, so he'll be back. They're not going to waive him so as to be able to keep him in the minors all year.

Andersen is good, but once Fasth is back he'll most likely be demoted. There are some rumblings that Hiller is being shopped, but you have to assume that nothing's going to happen on that front for a while until other teams figure out what they need and we figure out if Fasth is healthy.

So the answer to your question about movement is: if Andersen continues to play well, then probably. But we don't know which one or when.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Paul4587

We should just have a ducks goaltending thread where everybody can argue all day long about the situation.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
We should just have a ducks goaltending thread where everybody can argue all day long about the situation.
And here it is

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:02 AM
markrander87

It looks like Fasth is being recalled now and Andersen sent back? When can we expect Fasth to make his first start?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:06 AM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

There's not much to argue. Unless a team offers an overpayment for Hiller, we're most likely riding him and Fasth into the playoffs.

Now when the draft/offseason hit, things change. But I've never understood why anyone would expect a move in the middle of the season. I'd be incredibly surprised.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Ted Brautigan

Andersen should be our number 1 goalie right now. It's mad to send him down. I don't trust Hiller, he's playing too much in the ice. If playoffs would start tomorrow, Andersen would be my choice.

Ted Brautigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Big Daddy Cool

what if....... we traded hiller and fasth before the deadline and got miller from buffalo. worse case scenario is if he walks in the offseason we have Anderson and Gibson.
I know dumb thought

Big Daddy Cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Paul4587

A random thought - if Gibson keeps playing the way he's played and forces the issue next season then we're probably going to have to choose between him and Andersen at some point. Obviously not now but they can't both be our future number ones when there's only one net.

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfan8 View Post
what if....... we traded hiller and fasth before the deadline and got miller from buffalo. worse case scenario is if he walks in the offseason we have Anderson and Gibson.
I know dumb thought
I wouldn't doubt it if there are Miller endgame scenarios where Hiller and Fasth go but Miller is traded for, or perhaps they let Hiller walk and only trade Fasth if Miller is signed in the offseason. However, even if they are confident in Andersen and Gibson, I can't see them committing to them, or even gambling on it. Any Miller trade probably either has to come with an extension or supreme confidence one will get done(I'll lean towards the former given the supposed asking price) and if they pursue him in FA, they need a fallback option. Perhaps this is why they're allegedly shopping Hiller, get something for him and keep Fasth as the fallback option going forward.

One thing, though, I don't think they can keep Andersen in the minors much longer. Perhaps they've graded things differently and/or know of tendencies he needs to work on, but for a guy to play at that level, he's forced the issue quite a bit. It'll be an interesting thing to see play out over the next while.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:08 PM
AngelDuck

IMO, our best goalie is in Norfolk right now. Andersen plays a very solid style, never seems rattled...he has nothing really left to prove in the AHL. He'll continue to dominate down there. Hiller is the most expensive and his stats since vertigo are average. Doubt he has much trade value. Fasth needs to stay healthy, but if I had to bet, I'd say Fasth will be our starting goaltender game 1 of the first round (assuming we make it to the playoffs).

I think Fasth was dangerously close to getting the nod last year in the playoffs, but BB chose Hiller because of "experience". Hiller didn't play awful, but he certainly was worse than Howard and didn't look like a guy who could steal games for us when it mattered. Give Fasth the net if he's healthy this time.

Next year: Hiller is gone. Fasth-Andersen share the net.

Year after that: Let Fasth walk, and assuming Gibson develops as projected, we roll with a Gibson/Andersen platoon.

Then after that, they will probably have to make a very difficult decision between Gibson and Andersen at some point but that's a long ways down the road.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
A random thought - if Gibson keeps playing the way he's played and forces the issue next season then we're probably going to have to choose between him and Andersen at some point. Obviously not now but they can't both be our future number ones when there's only one net.
That's a situation I hope for and NHL GMs dream for. That can really only go south if one is overpaid and not looking as good(Giguere-Bryz, Luongo-Schneider), which shouldn't happen. Even if one is clearly better, you can ride both for years if you like. Worst case you're forced to pick one and the other gets traded. Best case you get something like what's happening in Toronto. I'm on board with that.

Gibsons Finest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Eddie Shack

Quote:
Last summer my plan was to trade Hiller and let Andersen back up Fasth for 2 years while Gibson played 2 years in Norfolk. After the 2 years we would know better about Andersen and he could likely pair with Gibson in the year after. At that time Gibson would be learning the NHL while we could evaluate the situation for the long term.

Fasth's health seems to be a bigger concern now. But somehow I think we really need to get Andersen into a backup role here at least through next year while Gibson develops in Norfolk. How we do that is the tough part.

But one way or another, I can see where we end up with Andersen and Gibson as our 2 NHL guys as early as 15/16. At which point we could see a very interesting duel. I know almost everybody here has given the future job to Gibson, but I would remind them that Quick was supposed to be the placeholder for Bernier. But through no fault of Bernier's, it didn't turn out that way.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 03:55 PM
QuackAttack90

Fasth's injury is what setback the trade talks involving hiller. They want Fasth/Anderson in Anaheim so that Gibson can get the experience in AHL without splitting time. They would then sign an outside minor league goalie to fill the empty echl/ahl spot if hiller is moved.

Fasth/Andeson provide better goaltending at a value price and hiller is going to seek some more money in the offseason anyways so they want to move him before they let him walk for nothing

QuackAttack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 06:08 PM
GreatBear

I believe that the Ducks thinking regarding Hiller and Fasth at the beginning of the season was apparently that Fasth was ahead of Hiller, as Fasth played the first game of the season. Also remember that after the playoffs were over, it was revealed that Fasth had an abdominal strain and was not at full strength, which i believe lead to Hiller playing in all of the Detroit games.

I have to believe that due to Fasth's injury this year that the Ducks will not trade Hiller until they feel that Fasth is able to play for the rest of the year. At that point they will consider trading Hiller if they can get a decent return. The fact that Fasth is signed for this and next year, and that Anderson is signed for the next two seasons after this one leads me to believe that the Ducks plan on going with Fasth and Anderson next year, particularly since based on his play with the Ducks this season Anderson has now proved that he can play at least a backup role next year.

GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:02 PM
HalifaxHockey61
#50in15

There is no way in hell we can trade Hiller before playoffs. Unless Fasth really steps up and has to REALLY prove he can handle number 1.

HalifaxHockey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

I think it would make sense to have a seperate thread for general goaltending talk like in the "good" old days. This one will do with a little bit of adjusting the title.

(I think it still makes sense to have something like the Miller speculation seperately, though, as he's not a part of the situation, and it's more of a proposal in nature, anyway.)

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Seems like Canes are shopping one of their goalies too. There is more supply than demand for goalies, imo. I guess that`s not very good.

Anyway, i`m starting to consider trading for Miller more and more...

Old
11-21-2013, 04:42 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Seems like Canes are shopping one of their goalies too. There is more supply than demand for goalies, imo. I guess that`s not very good.
I wouldn't worry about the Canes, honestly. I don't see them shopping Ward. Peters has been nice for them for a short period, but he's not really an option for a GM looking at Hiller/Fasth/Andersen.

Old
11-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I think BM will make a decision around TD whether to stick with Hiller and let him walk or trade him.

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Personally, I'm slightly losing patience in Hiller, as well. I haven't been firmly in his camp, by any means, and was hoping to see Fasth take the job this season to put us in a position to move Hiller. The criticism towards him is a fair bit exaggerated, but that comes with the territory of goaltending, as I know. While I still believe he's getting underrated, he hasn't been playing well for us, and I especially think he's not a great fit for our current playing style. With the type of shots our team defense tends to allow, a more blocking type-goalie like Andersen and to a slightly lesser degree Fasth fits us better. I think Hiller, however, can be more than an average guy elsewhere, and I'll be interested to find out if there isn't a few GMs that feel similarly. That said, I do hope something happens here.

I don't really understand the harsh criticism towards Fasth, though. He struggled with his rebounds against the Pens, but still had a good game. Not feeling the puck to limit the number of unnecessary rebounds isn't a huge surprise given the limited number of game-time he's had this year. Definitely not ready to give up on him, or consider Andersen better by far this quickly. He certainly impressed me, but we should keep a perspective on his games. He was more solid than anyone could expect, but he got much better support than Hiller/Fasth got in the past few games. He also has his own deficiencies. I still say those deficiencies are a better match for us currently than Hiller's, so I would welcome Murray making a decision and putting it into action soon.

Old
11-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the Canes, honestly. I don't see them shopping Ward. Peters has been nice for them for a short period, but he's not really an option for a GM looking at Hiller/Fasth/Andersen.
If i understood correctly, they will soon have a situation with 3 goalies, any of them have to clear wavers in order to go to the AHL.

I could see maybe some team taking a risk of at least Peters, if he`s on the block.

Old
11-21-2013, 05:14 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
If i understood correctly, they will soon have a situation with 3 goalies, any of them have to clear wavers in order to go to the AHL.

I could see maybe some team taking a risk of at least Peters, if he`s on the block.
Peters is effectively a career AHL'er who's had a good few games. Canes fans were wanting him waived about 10 days ago around here

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote