HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kroenke buying Rams, might sell Avs/Nuggets

Old
04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Drij

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
What does his wife do again? My memory is vague but does she own Wal-Mart or something?

He is/was a real estate guy right?
Ann Walton Kroenke is an heir to part of the Wal-Mart fortune, she is worth approximately $18 billion.

Stan Kroenke is a real estate developer worth about $2.7 billion.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Ann Walton Kroenke is an heir to part of the Wal-Mart fortune, she is worth approximately $18 billion.

Stan Kroenke is a real estate developer worth about $2.7 billion.
so they have some money...

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Really though, why would you want to buy the RAMS.

Seriously, the RAMS ladies and gentlemen. Your gonna give up two playoff teams to be PROUD owner of the ****ing St. Louis rams.

Sure, it would make him more money, but does he really need it?? IDK, his decision. But, if it were me I'd rather not own the ****hole of the NFL.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post

Seriously, the RAMS ladies and gentlemen. Your gonna give up two playoff teams to be PROUD owner of the ****ing St. Louis rams.

Sure, it would make him more money, but does he really need it?? IDK, his decision. But, if it were me I'd rather not own the ****hole of the NFL.
I hate the NFL but it makes more sense in American business practice to own an NFL team than either an NHL or NBA team.

If the Rams get good and win the Super Bowl again, that's a lot of money for him....

Old
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Drij

Once you own a team, you also get first dibs to buy other teams if they become available.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamSoda View Post
I hate the NFL but it makes more sense in American business practice to own an NFL team than either an NHL or NBA team.

If the Rams get good and win the Super Bowl again, that's a lot of money for him....
It's not like Stan needs the money though. Whatever, it's his choice. I won't be particularly sad to see him leave, however.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:26 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:
so they have some money...
Indeed. They also eat a paste of pure platinum for breakfast.

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
Indeed. They also eat a paste of pure platinum for breakfast.
Does that contain 12 vitamins and minerals like General Mills cereals do?

Old
04-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:

He's from St. Louis.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
He's from St. Louis.
Makes more sense now.

Stan Kronke, the kid who always dreamed of owning the worst team in town. Whataguy. lol.

Old
04-12-2010, 11:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

How many ****** teams does Kroenke own?

Avs, Nuggets, Mammoth, and Arsenal. Geez he doesn't need another one. Should have let Rush buy the Rams when he had the chance.

I heard he's a huge B-Ball fan, so we know which team he is going to sell if it comes that far.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:53 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Makes more sense now.

Stan Kronke, the kid who always dreamed of owning the worst team in town. Whataguy. lol.
You forget something about b/millionares as victims of the human nature (for lack of a better word).
Once you have enough of something that pleases you, you want more of it.

Millionares and Billionares want more money, and because they HAVE money, they can get it. Only the rich get richer.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Seaward*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph VII View Post
How many ****** teams does Kroenke own?

Avs, Nuggets, Mammoth, and Arsenal. Geez he doesn't need another one. Should have let Rush buy the Rams when he had the chance.

I heard he's a huge B-Ball fan, so we know which team he is going to sell if it comes that far.
He would have to sell both... Its not to get money its to meet the NFL ownership requirements.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
He would have to sell both... Its not to get money its to meet the NFL ownership requirements.
If that's the case I don't see him losing two franchises (one is his favourite sport) just for one. Even if it's his home town, the team sucks. It will suck next year, then the next year and probably the year after that.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
the_fan

I would buy the avs but i just bought a new cell phone

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 12:55 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Couple tweets from Adam Schefter.......

Quote:
RT @Bennhoff: I'm assuming this means Kroenke will need to sell Nuggets/Avs? ... Don't think so. Kroenke's smart. He knows how to do this.
Quote:
Stan Kroenke could avoid cross ownership rules with relatives who have independent financial resources. Not proposed yet, but could happen.
So could his wife buy the Rams?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Yeah, I don't think Kronke would be doing this if he didn't have something up his sleeve.

Like selling his wife "KSE" which is the umbrella company that "runs" the Avs, Nuggs, Rapids, Mammoth, Altitude, Pepsi Center, DSG Park etc... and She lets him run the company while she is the "Official CEO"

Or maybe he has convinced Goddell, Bowlen and enough other owners to bend the rules for him.

And even if he did sell the Nugs and Avs. I doubt he sells Pepsi Center, the Mammoth or dissolves Altitude. He may keep the network and the Arena and extend the leases and broadcasting contracts and just have the new owner pay rent.

Plus you gotta think if Betteman would fight that hard to keep the Yotes in Phoenix, he'd move heaven and earth to keep the Avs here.

Colorado Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:13 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Hmmm. Interesting. Bad news IMO.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:58 AM
punchnpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgsx View Post
Enlighten me. Maybe it's your vast intellect surrounding the sport.
Derp!

punchnpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Drury_Sakic

I would imagine he will either get an exemption from the NFL, the most likely result, OR he can play the shell game with divisions of his companies taking shares in ownership to get around the rule. I would imagine the rule was really intended to be in effect for teams in the same sports market, as they would not want ownership favoring an NHL or NBA team in the same market.

Even with the Avs fiscal drain over the last 2 seasons, things are only looking up for the Avs and they have been a solid investment for Stan. I also think its unlikely he would try to sell the Avs at a low value. He is not stupid and if he really wanted to offload the Avs he would wait 1-2 more years for the team value to go up with its talent developing and the economy improving.

I would also bet Stan would not want to give up a core part of his sports network either. As mentioned, he owns the Pepsi Center, and I would guess he does not want to give up any of his stake in the facilities usage to an NHL or NBA lease under a new owner.

Stan has been working hard to expand his sports empire over the last few years, and this is just the natural progression of that. If approved, he would own an MLS, NLL, NHL, NBA, and NFL teams as well as the Arsenal. (and he previously owned the now defunked AFL Colorado Crush)

Point being, Stan is so entangled in the Colorado/Denver sports scene that he can't just pull out a string or two of the web without it all falling apart. Hell, I bet he would love if the Rockies were for sale and he could buy them too.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I would imagine he will either get an exemption from the NFL, the most likely result, OR he can play the shell game with divisions of his companies taking shares in ownership to get around the rule. I would imagine the rule was really intended to be in effect for teams in the same sports market, as they would not want ownership favoring an NHL or NBA team in the same market.
No, the rule (as far as I know, if anyone knows better, please correct me) is that the owner of an NFL team can not own a team of a different sport in another NFL market. That means, for example, Bowlen could buy the San Antonio Spurs without running afoul of the rule, but Kroenke buying the Rams or Mark Cuban buying the Buccaneers (random examples) would.

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
the_fan

I've been trying to sell my 2006 BMW and i haven't been able to find a buyer yet, i wonder if Kroenke might be interested in buying it

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Please god, don't let Jim Balsillie buy this team.
...Or Georges Gillet.

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
boz
Altitude Fan

what's stan doing here? for fun he should swap the Rams+ to Bowlen for the Broncos. Bowlen then relocate's the Rams to LA..going to be interesting how it plays out.

I'm guessing the NFL relaxes its rules, as the Avs n nuggs dont come close as a threat to the Broncs. I'm curious as to stans fascination in owning everything sports? Surely at some point you have got enough?

boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
74Oshie74

From a St Louis perspective here, I imagine that Stan already knows he has a high chance of pulling this off or he wouldn't do it.

I doubt the Colorado franchises are being sold (unless he wants to do it anyway) because it would just take too long. The NFL isn't going to wait around for 1-2 more years with the Rams in limbo, while a sale of NBA/NHL franchises are completed.

He already owns 40% of the Rams. He is originally from St Louis and was a part of an effort to get an expansion team here in 1993. After the two expansion teams were awarded to other cities that had built stadiums, St Louis built the Dome and made it mandatory that any franchise moving into it sell a minority stake of their team to Kroenke with a clause that he has first right of refusal on any sale or movement of the team. They wanted a local guy to be in control of the teams future (to bar any possible relocation) and Stan wanted to eventually own them.

The supposed original plan was that Georgia Frontiere would sell 100% of the team to him in 2000 but they won a superbowl and she decided to hang onto the team.

So Stan has wanted to buy them all along, he has been a part of the club for over 15 years now. He actually has the largest stake in the team with 40% (Georgia's two children inherited 30% each) so it would just be silly for the NFL to not allow him to obtain a controlling interest.

As usual, Stan came out of nowhere with this. But when it comes to business and sports, Stan usually gets what he wants. So I would be surprised if he doesn't hang onto the Colorado franchises and also take 100% ownership of the Rams. If you really think about it, what harm would it do to the Broncos? Is Stan going to start advertising Rams tickets in the Pepsi Center? Bar people from wearing a Broncos hat or something? Or course not

74Oshie74 is offline   Reply With Quote