HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaberle’s bags packed (And interesting info on Kessel)

Old
04-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Tequila Stud

vCash: 500
Kaberle’s bags packed (And interesting info on Kessel)

Original Article: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc...11-torsun.html

Quote:
Phil Kessel is torn and not just because the Maple Leafs cleaned out their lockers ahead of 16 playoff teams, to go their separate ways for another long summer.

The leading scorer on the team revealed he played with a torn abdominal muscle after April 3, which contributed to his going scoreless in four games at the end of the season and the last six overall, after getting 30 in his first 64.

With rest, Kessel should be 100% next season, but for another departee yesterday, it could’ve been the last time through the dressing room.

Tomas Kaberle, the only Leaf to survive Brian Burke’s purge of the old guard, seemed to put an extra squeeze into his handshakes as he departed the media interview area.

Interesting tidbit on Kessel's injury. In all honesty, I really like Kaberle and think of him as one of the most recent true "Leafs". I also like how Giguere has to reiterate he's only 32. It made me laugh.

Last edited by The Messenger: 04-13-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Tequila Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Burke, who has not publicly shopped Kaberle, but could fetch a second-round pick if he did, will only say the 32-year-old should stick to his strengths.
If Burke trades Kabele for that little, then he'll probably have a riot on his hands.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Raging Bull

"Burke, who has not publicly shopped Kaberle, but could fetch a second-round pick if he did, will only say the 32-year-old should stick to his strengths."

Second-round pick?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Mogwai

With the way Kaberle played in the 2nd half, the sun is taking a shot.

He is worth WAY more than a 2nd rounder @ that contract for a year + his actual value.

Ridiculous.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:27 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
He is worth WAY more than a 2nd rounder @ that contract for a year + his actual value.

Ridiculous.

I agree. The Sun lately has been bordering on childish like behaviour. Worst rag going.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Kaberle's value has plummeted basically as he is now a 1 year rental. However a 2nd round pick is a little low. Kaberle should be able to fetch a late 1st + B level prospect.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Moscowitz

Not sure how long the rehab is for a torn abdominal muscle but I imagine it's months, not weeks. Hopefully Kessel is able to "get back" into optimal conditioning for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
“I was a little bit focusing on different parts of my game and maybe that wasn’t the way I should do it,” Kaberle admitted. “I should focus on why I am here and not on stuff I can’t control. If I can bring my game to another level for next year, hopefully I can be used here.”

Burke, who has not publicly shopped Kaberle, but could fetch a second-round pick if he did, will only say the 32-year-old should stick to his strengths.

“It’s a misconception that we want all our defenceman to be truculent,” Burke said. “We don’t pay him to be that. It’s just about making defensive zone coverage much better, being a little more physical.”
Sounds like Wilson coaching at its' finest.

Mess with one of the best offensive defenders in the league because there is only one way to play the game.

Great for trade value.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Courage*

Yeah, sure ULF...

And yet he wants to stay with Big Bad Ronnie.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretinageek View Post
Not sure how long the rehab is for a torn abdominal muscle but I imagine it's months, not weeks. Hopefully Kessel is able to "get back" into optimal conditioning for next year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems rather stupid to screw around with your biggest investment in a meaningless end of season run.

Was getting out of the basement that important to management, that they'd not only risk failure but jeopardize the reason they had to get out of the basement? And all that for appearance/ego sake?

Old
04-13-2010, 06:53 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Yeah, sure ULF...

And yet he wants to stay with Big Bad Ronnie.
And Marleau wants to come to Toronto to play for Wilson.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Courage*

Nice herring. Not biting.

Old
04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Seems rather stupid to screw around with your biggest investment in a meaningless end of season run.

Was getting out of the basement that important to management, that they'd not only risk failure but jeopardize the reason they had to get out of the basement? And all that for appearance/ego sake?
Yeah, that's what happened. You eating the same sour Corn Flakes as Mess these days?

Old
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Courage*

Maybe MLSE would be better of with the Sutters who are rumoured to have pressured Phaneuf to play through several injuries and who can't take a highly-touted team to the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup. Darryl would be perfect as coach here; he's known to blame the players, management; everyone but himself. It'd be like Wilson never left.

Last edited by Courage*: 04-13-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old
04-13-2010, 07:25 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If Burke trades Kabele for that little, then he'll probably have a riot on his hands.
If he decides he wants Kaberle's cap space for someone else, Burke will trade Kaberle for what he can get, just like he did with Kubina.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Delayed Offside

i think that while getting a first plus a prospect for kaberle seems to be the ideal situation, i really think that we will end up with a a player and a prospect... a forward that can go right now into the top 3 or 6...

sadly i don' think it will be bobby ryan (but i have no problem being wrong)

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Courage*

No, I don't think the situations are similar. In Kubina you had a guy who had pissed management off previously and had used his NTC to block a move in at least one, if not two seasons. Evidently, there wasn't much of a trade market for Kubina. Kaberle has never been known as a malcontent, and he and Burke appear to have - at the very least - mutual respect. Moreover, if rumours are to be believed, Burke held out on trading Kaberle for what he thought was too little once already. He's also spent the entire season talking about how valuable a player like Kaberle is. I doubt you'll see him dumped for a song.

Old
04-13-2010, 07:51 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post

Ridiculous.

The article was written by Lance Hornsby who seems to have gone off the deep-end. He is the same clown who last week wrote the article comparing MLSE to Ballard. The guy has lost it (if he ever had it).

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:56 AM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
i think that while getting a first plus a prospect for kaberle seems to be the ideal situation, i really think that we will end up with a a player and a prospect... a forward that can go right now into the top 3 or 6...

sadly i don' think it will be bobby ryan (but i have no problem being wrong)
I hope your right . I hope we get a better prospect than Ryan . Chris Stewart baby!

But in a reality, we won't get a younger player of this calliber

I'd honestly do a deal like:

To Colorado:
Tomas Kaberle
Viktor Stalberg
Juraj Mikus
John Mitchell

To Toronto:
Chris Stewart
Kyle Quincy

A trade like this would be a dream come true for me... Quincy is a good young tallent, and Stewart is even better.

bobermay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Maybe MLSE would be better of with the Sutters who are rumoured to have pressured Phaneuf to play through several injuries and who can't take a highly-touted team to the playoffs, let alone the Stanley Cup. Darryl would be perfect as coach here; he's known to blame the players, management; everyone but himself. It'd be like Wilson never left.
Flames coach said everyone is to blame, players, coaches, management.

Not sure his brother agrees with him though.

I would not want the Sutters anywhere around the Leafs.

Old
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
I hope your right . I hope we get a better prospect than Ryan . Chris Stewart baby!

But in a reality, we won't get a younger player of this calliber

I'd honestly do a deal like:

To Colorado:
Tomas Kaberle
Viktor Stalberg
Juraj Mikus
John Mitchell

To Toronto:
Chris Stewart
Kyle Quincy

A trade like this would be a dream come true for me... Quincy is a good young tallent, and Stewart is even better.
How about something like:

Kaberle
Kadri

for

Bobby Ryan
Nicolas Deschamps

Old
04-13-2010, 08:32 AM
wildburns*

the offers on here for kaberle have been incredibly ridiculous for a long, long time.

it's been embarassing. the carter plus a 1st days are gone, gone, gone.

we are NOT going to get a young player capable of scoring 65-70 pts next season for kaberle. a late 1st and a prospect is likely the best we'll get. we terribly overrate kaberle.

wildburns* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
BrannigansLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
If he decides he wants Kaberle's cap space for someone else, Burke will trade Kaberle for what he can get, just like he did with Kubina.
So Kaberle is a salary dump now? Man, his value must have really plummeted.

If Burke does another Kubina type trade, then that's just plain retarded. We didn't even come away with one worthwhile asset in that trade.

(Yes, I know the context of the trade.)

BrannigansLaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
yea, and we saw how well that worked with that Kubina trade. It's funny because Kubina is actually a better hockey player than Komisarek If Burke is making deals for the sake of making a deal, then he shouldn't be in the position he's in.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:44 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildburns View Post
the offers on here for kaberle have been incredibly ridiculous for a long, long time.

it's been embarassing. the carter plus a 1st days are gone, gone, gone.

we are NOT going to get a young player capable of scoring 65-70 pts next season for kaberle. a late 1st and a prospect is likely the best we'll get. we terribly overrate kaberle.
Not exactly true.

It is quite possible to get a young player who is capable of scoring 65-70 points for Kaberle.

It is unlikely to get a young player (under 24) who has established his ability to consistently score 65-70 points a year.

It is about risk.

Is there a young player who hasn't established himself that you believe is on the cusp? There is risk that he'll never take that next step, and really Stajan had 57 points this year, so 65-70 points isn't like you are landing a Stamkos.

Also, a 1st. round pick is anywhere from 1st. to 30th. The value in a 1st. round pick varies a great degree.