HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UPDATE: Theodore will talk in scrums to Montreal journalists

Old
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Per Bob Hartley on CKAC

Jose Theodore refuses to talk to all Montreal Journalists during the whole series except for François Gagnon from La Presse.
Too bad our players weren't that smart.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:53 PM
ScherbakAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Fan Of View Post
No Problem,

You will find some of my previous posts. (Sorry I don't know who to quote myself yet)

Don't forget also the corporate power. You shut the locker room to all journalists (or to some journalists) you have Bell (RDS), Quebecor (JdM, TVA, Canoe), Power Coporation (La Presse), etc who is knocking on Pierre Boivin's door the following day. How much money do you think these companies give to the Habs each year for seats, charity events, "loge", etc. I am pretty sure that Mr .Desmarais from Power Corporation has Mr. Molson number on his cell.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think he wanted to say that if there is less journalists (I know that it is impossible in MTL, but it is for the example) that cover the Habs' games and activities, the popularity of the Habs will decline.

Like it or not, but it helps the popularity of the Habs when La Presse, Rue Frontenac, Gazette and Journal De Montréal have like 3 full pages on the Habs each day, even in the summer. Imagine if the Habs had the same publicity than the Impact. There was only a small "Associated Press" (ou La Presse Canadienne) regarding the first Impact's game.

Also, on HF boards, members always say that "most of the bad Habs' fans" are the ones who just repeat the words of Réjean Tremblay, etc. Without them, I am pretty sure that many fans will not care or careless about the Habs.

Less journalists = Less Habs exposure = less fans = less persons at the Bell Center and less persons that buy Habs' merchandises = Habs are less profitable = Molson will maybe not be that inclined to spend to the cap and give big money to his players.

I am know you will probably find this ridiculous, but I am sure that the owners from the Ducs, Bolts, etc would like to have more than a part-time journalist to follow the team activity.

All publicity (especially, when it is free), is good publicity, even the bad ones. The important is to talk about the Habs.
Theodore does not play for the Habs
/thread

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
mtl_felix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Well he did that his entire life, the guy never played meaningful hockey like most of Montreal media.

They should only hire ex-nhlers their opinions and insight are so much better ( see Joel Bouchard, Eric Fichaud, Marc Denis ect)
Oh yeah! Kinda like Benoit Brunet!

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
/thread
I know, thanks for the reminder.

I was answering someone who was asking me "The team needs journalist? Really? Why may I ask?"

As I wrote in another post, Theodore can do what he wants, since they are MTL journalists. However, replace Theodore by Bergeron, Gomez, Gill and it is a new story.

Georges Gorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Well he did that his entire life, the guy never played meaningful hockey like most of Montreal media.

They should only hire ex-nhlers their opinions and insight are so much better ( see Joel Bouchard, Eric Fichaud, Marc Denis ect)
I do think that the two best journalist who are not ex player in the Montreal are Francois Gagnon, Michel Langevin, Mathias Brunet and Marc-Antoine Godin they usually write facts, they write good well written article. Look, just listen at l'antichambre of the 12 april he is so positive about the habs it's refreshing plus he bring new perspectives.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I do think that the two best journalist who are not ex player in the Montreal are Francois Gagnon, Michel Langevin, Mathias Brunet and Marc-Antoine Godin they usually write facts, they write good well written article. Look, just listen at l'antichambre of the 12 april he is so positive about the habs it's refreshing plus he bring new perspectives.
Agree, you can also add Dany Dubé (not sure if we can consider him a journalist however).

However, we have to be carefull not to fall in the: Good journalist = always positive.

A good journalist must also sometime critize the team (for good reasons based on fiable facts).

Otherwise the best journalists are hired by the Canadiens' Magasine.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
albertonhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Per Bob Hartley on CKAC

Jose Theodore refuses to talk to all Montreal Journalists during the whole series except for François Gagnon from La Presse.
H e is gonna be so messed in the head for games 3 and 4 in Montreal that he will think he is playing soccer not hockey!! he is saying this before the playoffs even start!! He is soooooo rattled to be playing Montreal !!! Huge for the Habs!!

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Agree, you can also add Dany Dubé (not sure if we can consider him a journalist however).

However, we have to be carefull not to fall in the: Good journalist = always positive.

A good journalist must also sometime critize the team (for good reasons based on fiable facts).

Otherwise the best journalists are hired by the Canadiens' Magasine.
I know this just to say that in Langevin case he is also a sens fans, so he isn't biased for the habs too much. He also bring facts and in general I think he is a very good journalist. He is just a positive guy.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Blood On The Ice

Yep! Théo knows that he will likely choke so he is doing the best he can to keep his head straight.

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood On The Ice View Post
Yep! Théo knows that he will likely choke so he is doing the best he can to keep his head straight.
This is one of those rare instances that I hope the montreal meat grinder, I mean media rips into Theo. No mercy for the weak!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think he wanted to say that if there is less journalists (I know that it is impossible in MTL, but it is for the example) that cover the Habs' games and activities, the popularity of the Habs will decline.

Like it or not, but it helps the popularity of the Habs when La Presse, Rue Frontenac, Gazette and Journal De Montréal have like 3 full pages on the Habs each day, even in the summer. Imagine if the Habs had the same publicity than the Impact. There was only a small "Associated Press" (ou La Presse Canadienne) regarding the first Impact's game.

Also, on HF boards, members always say that "most of the bad Habs' fans" are the ones who just repeat the words of Réjean Tremblay, etc. Without them, I am pretty sure that many fans will not care or careless about the Habs.

Less journalists = Less Habs exposure = less fans = less persons at the Bell Center and less persons that buy Habs' merchandises = Habs are less profitable = Molson will maybe not be that inclined to spend to the cap and give big money to his players.

I am know you will probably find this ridiculous, but I am sure that the owners from the Ducs, Bolts, etc would like to have more than a part-time journalist to follow the team activity.

All publicity (especially, when it is free), is good publicity, even the bad ones. The important is to talk about the Habs.
Thanks for saving me some typing. Apparently the concept of media attention = higher demand = higher ticket prices = higher salaries was more complicated than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
/thread
All NHL players belong to the same union and teams engage in revenue-sharing. When Theodore neglects his responsibilities in one city, it affects the entire league.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post

All NHL players belong to the same union and teams engage in revenue-sharing. When Theodore neglects his responsibilities in one city, it affects the entire league.
And when Ovechkin shuns a group of fans and opts not to sign autographs, that's going to affect league revenues too. Probably more than Theodore shirking interviews with Montreal media members (nevermind the fact that this has created media attention in and of itself).

You're reaching.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
ILuvLucic*

I don't blame him.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I'm pretty sure he'll have dinner with Michel Villeneuve

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The old argument that medias help the Habs is a fallacy. The causality is the other way around. The Habs are popular, hence the media cover them more, because it's their bread and butter.

Habs could exist without the media, whereas the Habs media would probably not even cut it if they had to cover other things.

According to the Habs media in Montreal... they came before the egg AND the chicken. We should thank them for world peace too.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Thanks for saving me some typing. Apparently the concept of media attention = higher demand = higher ticket prices = higher salaries was more complicated than I thought.

Why is there high media attention or exposure? Because there is a large fanbase. That is ultimately what drives demand. The people.

And I think it's safe to say we won't be going anywhere soon.

And honestly, there are enough stories for the MTL media to cover/fabricate that Jose's non-story won't be much of an impact.

Just my two cents

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

I think that athletes who play games with the media always lose, it's ridiculous and pretty dangerous ... Theo should know better than to mess with banana peels
Posted via Mobile Device

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
And when Ovechkin shuns a group of fans and opts not to sign autographs, that's going to affect league revenues too. Probably more than Theodore shirking interviews with Montreal media members (nevermind the fact that this has created media attention in and of itself).

You're reaching.
I guess I'm more annoyed by the principle than by the action. Players not signing autographs because they're busy is one thing, but when a player refuses to deal with the media because he doesn't think he should have to is another one. I find his action lacking professionalism.

I see the difference between the two scenarios similar to a teacher who can't help a student after class because he's busy and one who won't because he doesn't like the student very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Why is there high media attention or exposure? Because there is a large fanbase. That is ultimately what drives demand. The people.

And I think it's safe to say we won't be going anywhere soon.

And honestly, there are enough stories for the MTL media to cover/fabricate that Jose's non-story won't be much of an impact.

Just my two cents
There's definitely a symbiotic relationship between the sports media and athletes, however thinking that media coverage does not drive up demand in a concentrated market is like saying that Coke doesn't benefit from advertising to people who already drink it.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Crystal Met

rejean tremblay must be sad

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

Would it be Deja Vu with Price soon enough ?

I joke I joke !!

But both Toronto's and Montreal's media deserve this.

04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I guess I'm more annoyed by the principle than by the action. Players not signing autographs because they're busy is one thing, but when a player refuses to deal with the media because he doesn't think he should have to is another one. I find his action lacking professionalism.

I see the difference between the two scenarios similar to a teacher who can't help a student after class because he's busy and one who won't because he doesn't like the student very much.
I don't see the analogy. It's not in Theodore's job description to speak to the Montreal media. He may need to answer a few questions to Washington reporters post-game for 20 minutes, but that's the extent of his job description.

A more apt analogy is that a lawyer fails to show up at a cocktail event to represent his law firm and make nice with some potential clients. It's not directly in his job description to make nice and network, but it might help a little bit in some abstract way down the line--even though it's just one party of dozens throughout the year. Not his job, minor event.

Now if we add context to the analogy and say that this cocktail party is hosted by mobsters (bringing the analogy closer to Theodore, I suppose), and that they've historically been disrespectful and detrimental to this lawyer's performance at work, then we can see how it's in this law firm's best interests that the lawyer doesn't attend the cocktail party.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Koivu2001

media is a monster you don't mess with, hes already scared of Montreal.

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Habs13

I'd high five Theo for this... hopefully it sends a message to the parasites we have in our local media. Of course, nothing will change.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:04 PM
THE HOFF

poor guy ... he's been a victim of many things in his life...

but ... mob family, propecia, paris hilton, mtl nightlife + bellow par seasons ... what do you expect, really ?

he showed everybody he wasn't a very clever guy on numerous occasions... maybe he has changed ... hopefully...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Georges Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Habs could exist without the media, whereas the Habs media would probably not even cut it if they had to cover other things.
I can't argue with that, you're right. They could exist.

However, how do the fans could receive their information about the team if there is no media ? From press releases of Donald Beauchamps ?

It will be some prepared "robot" responses with no real place to criticize. I receive "Canadiens Le magazine" at my house and I like it. However, sometime it is really but really to much positive and "Pro-habs". It is like eating too many candies.

Habs is almost the most important thing in Quebec, after the weather. I know they would not disappear if there was no journalist.

However, if there is no mention of the Habs in the newspaper and on TV (or maybe just the stats), I am sure that the Habs will lose a really big quantity of fans.

Here on HF Boards, members are almost all die-hard fans, so it is not possible for us not to be an Habs fan (maybe after 3 losses, but that is another story ).

However, the media coverage is also free publicity for the Habs. As I wrote, all publicity is good, even the bad one. The important is that the Habs are "in the face" of the most person in the morning and in the evening.

So, for the normal non-die hard fan or the occasionnal fan, if you don't talk about the Habs in the media, they will slowly lose their interest in the team. They won't talk about last evening game during their lunch break/coffee break at their job, they won't know the names of the players, the standings, etc.

For example, my father. He reads La Presse and when we watch a game together, he will say:

-Do you agree with Réjean Tremblay when he wrote that this morning ?
-Did you read the articles of Gagnon on Halak this morning.
-Did you see what Gomez said after the victory against the Blues ? It was pretty funny.

You put a small article from Associated Press in La Presse instead of an article of François Gagnon or an opinion from Ronald King (for example) and the Habs just lost one fan. My dad will not go on the internet and he will just check from time to time the standings. He will watch maybe one game during the week, but that's it.

Don't overestimate the interest of the "normal" fan. Remember, a few years ago, the Molson center wasn't full. I know, ice product wasn't very good, but come on we enter the playoffs this year by the behind door, we are not that good !

We have some really good journalists in Montreal, the real problem is that we have so many journalists, that it is normal to have more bad journalists than any other town (except NY and Toronto).

It is the same argument than for the fans. Sure we have a lot of bad fans, but there is so many habs fans in the world, that it normal that there is more "bad" fans than any other team.