HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Your 2010-2011 Tampa Bay Lightning team

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2010, 09:49 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Sure he was great in spurts. But lets be honest. Hes not a 60+ game starter. Hes just not. If we had another goalie we could rely on to be solid to good for 30+ games then sure Niitty would be great. But we dont. So therefore going into another season with Niitty and Smitty, barring something crazy happening (Smith getting back to something close to form before his two concussions, or Niitty completely losing his consistent hot as fire cold as ice routine), then we will once again have a huge question mark in goal and frankly Im tired of it.

Niitty is great for what he is. Hes just not a TRUE number 1. Id love to get rid of Smith, sign Niitty with a decent raise, and bring in a guy like Ellis or Mason or someone through a trade like Harding or something that can push Niitty and be good for us for the games that Niitty cant be.

So yeah...if the plan is to bring him back as our number 1 next year then my "facepalm" stands.
I understand completely but frankly with the cost and competition that is in the free agent market, he is a passable 1A and you figure if we can at least cut our shots per game by 5-10 per, you're going to see a guy with a lot less work and look a LOT sharper.

Like it or not we need to make a play at him. We know what Niitty is capable behind a **** team, we know how Ellis was behind a good defense, we know that Turco is **** nowadays, we know that Nabokov may resign in SJ and if he didn't, would command more than we should be paying.

I mean, we really have to look at him and look at the big picture. Our defense was one of the worst this year. Only three teams had more goals against than us. Based on our shots per game, we can improve our defense (and forecheck heavily) and Niitty can look a LOT better.

It just doesn't seem like a great investment to go after a goaltender unless you're getting a kid for at least 3-4 years like a Halak and really sitting and waiting for Tokarski to get some ice veins.

You know, if we cut back on 15 goals for our overall season average, it might have just put us in the playoffs...

49 GP, 21-18-5 2.87 .909SV% is not bad for one of the worst teams in hockey last year.

Old
06-16-2010, 11:07 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Well...

I'd like Yzerman to try and get Mueller and Neuvirth/Schneider/Enroth
Then Draft Niederreiter and stay in Portland to develop.

Purcell and prospect (not ashton) for Enroth or Schneider or 3rd and prospect for Neuvirth
Ranger and Meszaros for Mueller and Mercier
Buy out or trade Walker for decent Forward

Also maybe sign Hamhuis and Artyukhin

Malone-Stamkos-Downie
Tyrell-Lecavalier-Mueller
Purcell-Wright-Karsums
Kenopka-Thompson-Artyukhin

Hedman-Hamhuis
Lundin-Wishart
Lashoff-Ohlund

One of those Goalies
Tokarski

Last edited by KingJet*: 06-17-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old
06-17-2010, 12:50 AM
TBLbrian

I would prefer the team not sign a single free agent, then sign more than a 3rd line center. I think this team needs to start developing from the ground up.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:35 AM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrifri View Post
I would prefer the team not sign a single free agent, then sign more than a 3rd line center. I think this team needs to start developing from the ground up.
Totally agree. I think SY will see what he has, and what the new coach can do with it this this year. Hopefully Ranger will be back and one of Lashoff or Wishart will be ready.
I think what SY meant by treating St Louis 'with respect' is that he will explain it will probably take two or three years to be realty competitive and hopes Marty will be part of it, but will make a trade if he he wants it.

Old
06-17-2010, 02:24 PM
hockeygirl771

Halak was just traded to the St. Louis Blues for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz!

Old
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
Yep there goes Price to us haha. Oh well.

Old
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
VoteNOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Yzerman has had talks with Niittymaki's agent and is interested in keeping him, Pierre LeBrun has a 'gut feeling' that Antero will stay with the Lightning as the #1. Good news to me.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...ailable-summer
Awesome Let him play the SE Division games, get another decent goalie in here to start and send Mike Smith packing, he's just not the same since the concussion.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Yep there goes Price to us haha. Oh well.
Yea, but it also leaves Chris Mason available if were not able to re-sign Niitty.

Old
06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Yea, but it also leaves Chris Mason available if were not able to re-sign Niitty.
Even if we are, sign Mason, and then waive Smitty...

Old
06-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Even if we are, sign Mason, and then waive Smitty...
I'm not sure that's an upgrade.

Chris Mason took how long to become a starting goaltender? I mean he's 34 already. He's not exactly a young pup any more.

I think we could get at least a lowish round draft pick for Smith, so waivers would probably be unnecessary.
But what should happen in the event that Smitty clears? We've already got an impending log jam in net, there's no need to force those decisions now.

Both have issues with consistency, and that's the biggest killer of starting goaltenders just by itself.

Old
06-17-2010, 07:42 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Meh, not really interested in Mason.

Old
06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
There's worse options than Mason on a short term deal.

06-17-2010, 10:08 PM
CaptBrannigan

I'd take Mason over anything we've had since Khabibulin.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
Sources in MTL dispute that TB and PHI showed significant interest in Halak. If so, that left SJ as the other major suitor for the goalie.
Quote:
Sources say PHI, TB and SJ were others pitching hard on Halak, What's clear now is that, in spite of playoffs, Price was and is MTL's guy.

Old
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I don't know, Halak would have been expensive NHL talent wise for us. We don't have any stud forward prospects like the Blues had.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:41 AM
TBFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
Oh you mean that guy between the pipes that carried the team through **** coaching and play this year?

How terrible...
Just have to laugh at this one. Yea, coaching has alot to do with stopping a puck.

He was clearly not the same goalie at the end of the season. He wore down, plain and simple.

Old
06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
Just have to laugh at this one. Yea, coaching has alot to do with stopping a puck.

He was clearly not the same goalie at the end of the season. He wore down, plain and simple.
No, but coaching may have a lot to do with making sure that there is a defensive system in place so that a goalie doesn't see 35+ shots, every game. You know, something off the wall, like maybe clearing the zone once every five minutes or so. Or that if he is seeing a lot of shots, somebody might clear his crease for him so that all the shots aren't at point blank range with opposing forwards sitting all over him.

Question. How many times did our goalies get run last year? It cost us Smitty, and it kept happening the whole season. Frankly I find the thought that Niitty wants to come back here and play with this team again damn near miraculous.

Last edited by Benders Lindyhop: 06-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post

Haha, yeah alright. Team defense means nothing on a goaltenders workload. My fault.

Old
06-19-2010, 01:23 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

my thoughts on the defense heading in to next season:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...gus&Itemid=102

Would love to hear your feedback, I don't get to see TB play all that much.

Old
06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
Quote:
Marty St. Louis says he is "encouraged" by talk by Yzerman of wanting to sign him to an extension.
http://twitter.com/erlendssontrib

In case of a trade he'd get us a better return. Sure hope he stays though.

Old
06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
TBLbrian

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Thomas (even though he isn't my favorite choice for the future. would be a great stop gap) is traded here this week and that gives Marty another reason to stay.

The one thing I like about Thomas is how badly he wants to prove everyone wrong and just win. It doesn't have to be pretty or impress anyone. That is something this team could use. Even if he comes here and doesn't do amazing, it will show another small guy in Tokarski what it takes to battle and make the NHL.

Old
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrifri View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Thomas (even though he isn't my favorite choice for the future. would be a great stop gap) is traded here this week and that gives Marty another reason to stay.

The one thing I like about Thomas is how badly he wants to prove everyone wrong and just win. It doesn't have to be pretty or impress anyone. That is something this team could use. Even if he comes here and doesn't do amazing, it will show another small guy in Tokarski what it takes to battle and make the NHL.
True, Timmy is a true self starter. He and Marty in Vermont were the chip on that teams shoulder.

Old
06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
TBLbrian

He's been through a lot of adversity and its something that can't be taught. I was def. not a fan at first of the idea of getting Thomas, but they need to shed salary and if we can get him cheap enough he can def. steal us some games.

Yeah he's a bit old and expensive, but there is more there than on the ice.

Old
06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
CaptBrannigan

Depending on the money, I'd like to see us go after Nabokov now that San Jose has said he won't be back. I think he is definitely the pick of the litter.

Old
06-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
Depending on the money, I'd like to see us go after Nabokov now that San Jose has said he won't be back. I think he is definitely the pick of the litter.
Nabakov hasn't won a damn thing. Why is he the pick of the litter now?

He's no Khabibulin pre-2000.

Closed Thread