HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts: "I'd like to get younger"

Old
04-13-2010, 01:19 PM
wa2k99

vCash: 500
Our average age was only 27

wa2k99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Weed out some guys lol I'm on record for bringing Prospal back but if they don't I won't lose sleep over it.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Mouth

I can translate fluent Tortorellaese. We have no cap room, to get any forward in his prime.

We seek younger and inexpensive players to plug in from the AHL next year and/or bring in more younger journeyman to this team, all of which must have underachieved thus far in the National league, those who specifically haven't found their NHL game yet.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
17futurecap

AGrossRecord

Doesn't sound like #NYRangers interested in bringing back Alex Auld. Already looking at other veteran backups who will be on the market.

JimCerny

Torts really praises Shelley, Parenteau, Prust...all 3 are free agents...lukewarm about Auld as Hank's back up next year

Please sign Moose Hedberg.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Torts was on the money saying he got "zero" from his top players in the last Flyers game and it was "despicable". Also saying the "room wasn't strong enough" - which we've been saying all year long.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
What a joke Sather won't be addressing media, a ******* joke. Pull that stunt in Canada and see what happens. The fact that Sather pulls this is another reason for him to be gone. How can your team just miss the playoffs and have a poor season and you don't address it, like we the fans and/or media do not exist. Smug *****.

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
AJRanger

Why wouldn't they be interested in bringing Auld back? Reasonably cheap, good goalie, probably wouldn't get many games anyway.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Why wouldn't they be interested in bringing Auld back? Reasonably cheap, good goalie, probably wouldn't get many games anyway.
I'm guessing they want to see Lundqvist play less games next season. Next year isn't an olympic year, though, so that should help.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
#NYRangers won't allow GM Glen Sather or assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld to address the media today.

What a joke.
Wait a minute so The Rangers wont allow them to talk? Like is it Dolan or is Glen just making stuff up?

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Torts was on the money saying he got "zero" from his top players in the last Flyers game and it was "despicable". Also saying the "room wasn't strong enough" - which we've been saying all year long.
Fans just looking for something to ***** about. Look to continue to point fingers at the coach.
Ex. 'how could you not have Gaborik in the shoot out' 'Torts is clueless'

Those same fans would (and did through out the year) complain about him using Gaborik during the SO when he was 2-18. Can't have it both ways.
Also Gaborik had 65 minutes to make an impact and he didn't. That's not the coaches fault.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:42 PM
pwoz

Hank did not have enough assists this year. SHAME!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Fans just looking for something to ***** about. Look to continue to point fingers at the coach.
Ex. 'how could you not have Gaborik in the shoot out' 'Torts is clueless'

Those same fans would (and did through out the year) complain about him using Gaborik during the SO when he was 2-18. Can't have it both ways.
Also Gaborik had 65 minutes to make an impact and he didn't. That's not the coaches fault.
Great post

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
eco's bones

Drury belongs in the older list too. He scored less points-32 than his age-33. He has a $7 mil cap hit. It's not bang for the buck. Admitedly he was playing well at the end but overall season performance left a lot to be desired.

When you add in Redden $6.5 mil for 14 points and Rozsvial $5 mil for 23 points you come up with $18.5 mil (about a third of our salary cap) for three players who combined for 19 goals 40 assists and 59 points. If the lesser paid two thirds of the cap had produced at the same level we wouldn't have even averaged a goal a game. The Rangers are hampered by these contracts. The higher paid players need to carry the team which is how it works with successful teams everywhere else.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:45 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Hank did not have enough assists this year. SHAME!
Never mind assists, how many goals did he score? Zero! Trade him.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Staals Eye
What me worry?

turcotte8, That is the funniest avatar ive seen in a while LOL!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:49 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

I can find fault with Drury's salary and his point production. But, the guy does come play every night even if he is in decline. I don't think Torts was talking about him when he's saying that some players need to be bumped. There are quite a few players on this team that I think are really safe (Callahan, Drury, Lundqvist, etc...) and a few that aren't (Redden, Voros, Lisin, Auld, etc...).

If it can be done, I think Torts will be pushing real hard to get rid of Redden one way or another. He's a liability every game and he's not even steady enough that you can put a younger guy with him - because that guy has to cover Redden's gaffes.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

From the one interview I've seen with shelly and seeing how he interacts with other guys on the bench the other players must love him. I see Cally/Dubi/Avery and to some extent Staal and Hank being the popularity mafia on the team. Those guys can turn the rest of the team on another player or even the coach with their influence.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

All the focus and energy of all the suits at the Garden/Cablevision will be directed toward wooing Lebron to NY this offseason. I fully expect Dolan to put the Rangers on the back burner this summer. For the good of this franchise I truly hope the Lebron does not sign with the Knicks. For then, Sather will be given a reprieve for any and all mistakes he may make for as long as Lebron is putting butts in the seats for the knicks. You think the Rangers are neglected now? You have no idea.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I can find fault with Drury's salary and his point production. But, the guy does come play every night even if he is in decline. I don't think Torts was talking about him when he's saying that some players need to be bumped. There are quite a few players on this team that I think are really safe (Callahan, Drury, Lundqvist, etc...) and a few that aren't (Redden, Voros, Lisin, Auld, etc...).

If it can be done, I think Torts will be pushing real hard to get rid of Redden one way or another. He's a liability every game and he's not even steady enough that you can put a younger guy with him - because that guy has to cover Redden's gaffes.
You can replace Drury's intangibles with Ortmeyer.

Jed only had 19 points to Drury's mind-blowing 32, but he's 1/7 the cost.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Cmox

per Zipay

Quote:
Torts: 1e dont need to blow it up, just bump some guys

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He had just about as young a team as one could have last season.

Just sounds like more excuses and lip service from Torts.
Are we going to have to get these types of comments from the hate torts crowd all summer?

He wants to get younger, how the hell is that an excuse for anything??

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
All the focus and energy of all the suits at the Garden/Cablevision will be directed toward wooing Lebron to NY this offseason. I fully expect Dolan to put the Rangers on the back burner this summer. For the good of this franchise I truly hope the Lebron does not sign with the Knicks. For then, Sather will be given a reprieve for any and all mistakes he may make for as long as Lebron is putting butts in the seats for the knicks. You think the Rangers are neglected now? You have no idea.
We've seen this over the last 10 years. LeBron or not would not make a difference.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
You can replace Drury's intangibles with Ortmeyer.

Jed only had 19 points to Drury's mind-blowing 32, but he's 1/7 the cost.
Jed plays 6-8 minutes a game on a stacked top team in the NHL.

Drury plays 16-20 minutes and is asked to wear many hats and when Torts finally starting using him like he should he was scoring at least to his season average.

Nice try though.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You expected him to say something, since clearly changes need to be made. Not as if we'd expect him to say "Not enough talent." At least he finally blamed himself for something.

Still, like many of said; Get younger where? McD or Sangs in place of Redden and/or Rozsival? You're committing to a rebuilding year if you do that since there's no way a D corps of Staal/Girardi/MDZ/Gilroy/Sangs/McD is going to prevent Hank from getting shelled every night.
Volchankov replaces Redden.
McD/Gilroy replaces Eriksson.

Staal - Rosy
Volchenkov - MDZ
McD/Gilroy - Girardi

Doesn't seem bad at all, not any worse then this season at least, especially if Rosy continues his strong play from his 2nd half of the season.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather hasn't addressed the media on break day in so long. Schoenfeld never talks to the media. Except for appearing on NHL XM last summer,when has he ever spoken to the media? Dolan isn't preventing Sather or Schoeny from talking to the media. Donnie Walsh speaks to the media on a daily basis. This is on Sather and Schoeny.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote