HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts: "I'd like to get younger"

Old
04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
pwoz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Jed plays 6-8 minutes a game on a stacked top team in the NHL.

Drury plays 16-20 minutes and is asked to wear many hats and when Torts finally starting using him like he should he was scoring at least to his season average.

Nice try though.
I like my idea based on the cap alone. That extra 6m can be used towards a player with actual talent.

pwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
All the focus and energy of all the suits at the Garden/Cablevision will be directed toward wooing Lebron to NY this offseason. I fully expect Dolan to put the Rangers on the back burner this summer. For the good of this franchise I truly hope the Lebron does not sign with the Knicks. For then, Sather will be given a reprieve for any and all mistakes he may make for as long as Lebron is putting butts in the seats for the knicks. You think the Rangers are neglected now? You have no idea.
What are you talking about? Back burner? Rangers are neglected?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Cmox

Here's some stuff per Gross's blog

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...summing_it_up/

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
Per zipay's twitter

"Torts; Id like to get younger"

Is he begininng to imply that this is the end of the line for Redden?
hopefully this is, in other words, "Don't sign anymore Kotaliks, Reddens, and Brashears Mr. Sather" in nicer words.

And hopefully it also means we're going to see guys like Sauer, Sanguinetti, Grachev, etc. make the team if they have a good camp.

I think Torts grew a lot as a head coach this year. He went from a coach who usually relies heavily on the top 6 and top 9 to a guy that was rolling 4 lines with his 4th line getting as much as 10-11 mins of ice time on select nights. He adjusted his style when he realized we weren't the run and gun team he had in Tampa. He may catch a lot of crap around here, but I think he at least realized when to cut ties with what he had originally planned and call audibles regarding certain things and players.

I think he'll be good for players like Del Zotto, Dubinsky, Anisimov, etc. too

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Younger in the front office.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
What a joke Sather won't be addressing media, a ******* joke. Pull that stunt in Canada and see what happens. The fact that Sather pulls this is another reason for him to be gone. How can your team just miss the playoffs and have a poor season and you don't address it, like we the fans and/or media do not exist. Smug *****.
I'm sure he did pull that move in Edmonton plenty of times.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I like my idea based on the cap alone. That extra 6m can be used towards a player with actual talent.
I don't think anyone thinks that's a great contract that must be upheld. I'm just saying, if you can't replace all he gives to the team it may be a bad move just to dump him for nothing or for a one dimensional scorer, especially if the coach is calling for the team to get younger.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:17 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'm guessing they want to see Lundqvist play less games next season. Next year isn't an olympic year, though, so that should help.
Auld used to be the starter in Vancouver, he's more than capable of playing 15-20 games IMO

Old
04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
RangerFan10

I just hope they're not interested in Turco, or Biron.

Old
04-13-2010, 02:20 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Yeah, okay, but IT'S NOT REALISTIC. Don't you think we've all come up with this already?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Doesn’t sound like NYRangers interested in bringing back Alex Auld. Already looking at other veteran backups who will be on the market.
-Gross

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
hopefully this is, in other words, "Don't sign anymore Kotaliks, Reddens, and Brashears Mr. Sather" in nicer words.

And hopefully it also means we're going to see guys like Sauer, Sanguinetti, Grachev, etc. make the team if they have a good camp.

I think Torts grew a lot as a head coach this year. He went from a coach who usually relies heavily on the top 6 and top 9 to a guy that was rolling 4 lines with his 4th line getting as much as 10-11 mins of ice time on select nights. He adjusted his style when he realized we weren't the run and gun team he had in Tampa. He may catch a lot of crap around here, but I think he at least realized when to cut ties with what he had originally planned and call audibles regarding certain things and players.

I think he'll be good for players like Del Zotto, Dubinsky, Anisimov, etc. too
Yes, he went from coaching his style and nothing else to realizing Renney had it right by playing towards the teams strengths. Same concept different coach. I'm not sure he learned from that as much as the team and everyone around knew his plan was not working.

Del Z, Dubi and Artie will become very good players if they want it, the coach does nothing for their actual talent, he should be there putting them into positions to succeed just like ANY boss does for the workers.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Sorry John, I know you're 51 years old, but unfortunately you can't get younger.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Unless he's demanding a ton of money, I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't bring Auld back. He's one of the better backups in the league.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
SML

Glen Sather: 67 yrs old.
Jim Schoenfeld: 58 yrs old
John Tortorella: 52 yrs old
Brashear 35
Drury 34
Redden 32 (plays like 40)
Roszival 32

I agree, I'd like us to get younger too. Whack these guys and happy days are just around the corner.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Unless he's demanding a ton of money, I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't bring Auld back. He's one of the better backups in the league.
Exactly, absolute head-scratcher.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Exactly, absolute head-scratcher.
We've kind of painted ourselves into a corner with Henrik playing so many games. No decent current player is going to want to sign here knowing he's going to get less than 20 games, and less than 20 games is not enough playing time for any young player to be playing and still developing. I don't think Auld is at the stage where he thinks he's stuck in that limited of a role. On the same note, is it worth it to spend a million bucks on a guy who's only going to play once or twice a month?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
We've kind of painted ourselves into a corner with Henrik playing so many games. No decent current player is going to want to sign here knowing he's going to get less than 20 games, and less than 20 games is not enough playing time for any young player to be playing and still developing. I don't think Auld is at the stage where he thinks he's stuck in that limited of a role. On the same note, is it worth it to spend a million bucks on a guy who's only going to play once or twice a month?
Auld loves playing here, he knows Henrik is our guy and accepted having a role of 20 games/season.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Auld loves playing here, he knows Henrik is our guy and accepted having a role of 20 games/season.
20 games?

He's not playing 20 games behind Lundqvist. 10 games is more likely.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:10 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Are we going to have to get these types of comments from the hate torts crowd all summer?

He wants to get younger, how the hell is that an excuse for anything??
Because people love to **** on Torts and blame him for every problem that this sorry franchise has. Its going to be a long summer with this attitude...

I'm actually really happy to read the comment about him wanting to get the team younger. Redden HAS to go. He's the epitome of the locker room problem and the age problem, not being old, but playing old - a step behind, without the fire that a young athlete trying to prove himself brings to the game.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Sorry John, I know you're 51 years old, but unfortunately you can't get younger.
My thinking exactly.

I like the sound of younger. The younger the kid, the easier they play under tortorella's system.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Hopefully he said this due to the mind set that he wants to get rid of Redden and replace him with a younger defensemen. If we end up burying him, we just have to hope Slats stays out of the FA market (which will most likely not happen). The only player he should consider is Kovalchuk at the right price.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

If you read the comments on Gross' page he's defintely talking about Redden (other too but def him).

At this point it's all BS anyway. Torts doesn't want him but neither does any other coach, or GM, team, fans...

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Volchenkov and Kovalchuk are THE ONLY UFAs i'd even consider.

No Hamuis, not Marleau, NOT PLEKANEC.

If we cant land either of those guys then stand pat for this year. Its the 2012 season onwards that we'll be competitive, hopefully for more than one year if we can reup Lundqvist.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Volchenkov and Kovalchuk are THE ONLY UFAs i'd even consider.

No Hamuis, not Marleau, NOT PLEKANEC.

If we cant land either of those guys then stand pat for this year. Its the 2012 season onwards that we'll be competitive, hopefully for more than one year if we can reup Lundqvist.
Marleau and Plekanec remind me of a typical Slats signing. Regardless of the price, I hope he stays away from those two. Also, on second thought I would consider Volchenkov at ~5M max.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote