HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts: "I'd like to get younger"

Old
04-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I just realized there is a pretty damn good chance the Rangers will get Demitra to C Gabby next yr. That will buy time for a year anyways
Anisimov would be a better option than Demitra at this point in their respective careers.

How in the world would this fit with the "I'd like to get younger" philosophy?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
NorthlandPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You expected him to say something, since clearly changes need to be made. Not as if we'd expect him to say "Not enough talent." At least he finally blamed himself for something.

Still, like many of said; Get younger where? McD or Sangs in place of Redden and/or Rozsival? You're committing to a rebuilding year if you do that since there's no way a D corps of Staal/Girardi/MDZ/Gilroy/Sangs/McD is going to prevent Hank from getting shelled every night.
McD most likely starts in Hartford. Sangs & Sauer are the 2 I would think make it. Gilroy could be packaged to move up in the draft. Nothing wrong with getting younger on D. better than the R&R boys. You adjust your system to help the backline. I would bring in a short term vet for a year or two as a safety net. Byers and Weise need to be on the team. Boyle is a big body and needs to play in front of the net in both ends of the ice, not behind it. If he can't do that, move him. Jokenin and Vinny need to be replaced. They would just be eating up ice & development time. This team is not a contender with them. How much worse could the team be without them?

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
My bad, didn't see your other post. What kind of return would you been looking for if the Rangers traded Roszival?
Hmmm Honestly, I haven't gotten that far yet, I would think a 2nd or 3rd rounder, maybe part of a package to get a center.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
broadwayblue

Get younger eh? Perhaps we should have dealt Vinny and Olli at the deadline and landed a few extra picks? Nah. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Anisimov would be a better option than Demitra at this point in their respective careers.

How in the world would this fit with the "I'd like to get younger" philosophy?
yea I know , that was my pt. They will say that now and when push comes to shove Demitra will be brought in because Gaborik and him click. I don't want to see it but it's likely

I also think Prospal will take a 2 million dollar deal because he is getting paid in TB

I want to see them get younger but I don't buy it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:18 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If Weise is up next year, PAP becomes a regular and any one of McD/Kundratek/Klassen/Valatenko/Sangs/Sauer make the team, that's a start.

They did a pretty good job of integrating young guys this year.

First full seasons; Del Z, Anisimov, and Gilroy

Got their first extended taste of NHL action: Sangs, Byers, PAP, Heikennen (although he's leaving), even Locke

Got to spend a little time with the big club but didn't play; Grachev and Weise.

Not too shabby.

2-3 rookies to start the year is realistic (Weise, DMan, and maybe Hagelin?).

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Parenteau will not be a member of this organization next year.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Can Prust play center? He shows good awareness and hustle...

I'd love to see Shelley-Prust-Wiese/Byers

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Can Prust play center? He shows good awareness and hustle...

I'd love to see Shelley-Prust-Wiese/Byers
I would love them all to play also but it would be overkill. The fact AA was a skilled player and his skill in the offensive zone made the line better.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:34 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Get younger eh? Perhaps we should have dealt Vinny and Olli at the deadline and landed a few extra picks? Nah. lol
NO way! We're still in it!

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I would love them all to play also but it would be overkill. The fact AA was a skilled player and his skill in the offensive zone made the line better.
There's no way you can logically play Anisimov with them next year unless he's stalls tremendously over the summer and to start the season. Playing and excelling with these guys at the end of his rookie season to finish strong is enough.

What's overkill with having a hard working, hard hitting fourth line made up of fourth liners?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM
NYR Viper

The thing I don't understand is if Prust and Anisimov have very good chemistry, which they seemed to have, why not upgrade both to the 3rd line? I know Prust may not be an "ideal" 3rd liner but if he gets the most out of Anisimov and likewise for him with Anisimov than they should play together.

Its not always about playing players where they should as much as who plays well together and who can get the most out of eachother.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Younger in the front office.
This. This. This.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
Parenteau will not be a member of this organization next year.
Zipay quoted Torts saying things very much to the opposite effect. I'm not saying if its a good idea or a bad idea, but Torts at least sounds pretty sold on him being on the roster next year.

Edit: Zipay actually has pretty extended quotes of Torts discussing a lot of the players. I'm not sure how it all works with quoting sites you have to pay for even if you can just ignore the ad and read it for free like I do, but they would all be worth a good discussion.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
chosen

I'd like to get younger, too.

This Torts guy is effin deep.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Ē But he quickly pointed to the February acquisitions of Jody Shelley and Brandon Prust in improving the teamís dressing room and, thus, itís consistency.
This is when the "chemistry" of the team changed. It was so clear. Amazing what seemingly minor changes in personnel can sometimes do to the feel of a team, and how it feels about itself.

Those two guys changed this team on and off the ice. They are that NY tough & hustle attitude Torts ran his mouth about last summer.

If this season gave us anything it's a GREAT 4th line going into next year, and some real strong character guys. Lets hope a summer in NYC doesnt go to their heads

04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
But for all the good talk about Shelley and Prust and how those rugged wingers found chemistry with rookie Artem Anisimov, Tortorella said thatís not a line that can stay together for the long-term good of the organization in terms of Anisimovís development.

Here Torts is wrong... why not? They have chemistry...they work together and he's already tinkering on next season. Just let these guys play and role the lines.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Here Torts is wrong... why not? They have chemistry...they work together and he's already tinkering on next season. Just let these guys play and role the lines.
I mean it is the truth. Shelley will never be more than a 4th liner. There is nothing wrong with it, he is very effective. However for the good of the organization Anisimov needs to start moving his way up the lines and learning to play with more skill players because that is what the organization wants for him in the future.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

I'd personally love to see a line of Prust - AA - Cally.

Two bangers to give AA his room still, and adding more skill to the line with Cally. Seems like a pretty damn good 3rd line to me.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:17 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I'd personally love to see a line of Prust - AA - Cally.

Two bangers to give AA his room still, and adding more skill to the line with Cally. Seems like a pretty damn good 3rd line to me.
I like this idea, too. The only thing that makes me think its not practical is that Cally is, for better or worse, the second best RW on this roster by far. I don't see who could justifiably play RW on a second line with him on the third. Maybe Drury? Even that seems like a mistake to me, but I could see Torts going with something like this to keep AA between two guys that play that kind of game.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
So you'd prefer to stunt a potential top six forwards development by having him play his sophomore season with an enforcer and a fourth line grinder? Anisimov is a skill player who should be playing with other skill players.

The only reason people are so hung up on this Shelley-Prust-Anisimov line is because the other three lines were so pathetically inept that by comparison, this line seems like something special. It's a fourth line. In this league, it isn't all that challenging to construct an effective fourth line.

We should be focusing on improving our top two lines. We've got all the makings of good third and fourth lines.

Avery-Drury-Callahan = great third line
Prust/Shelley/Weise/Byers/random free agent/other possible young callup = all good candidates for a fourth line

Anisimov has the potential to be a second liner, you have to at least give him the chance to reach that potential. If he can't, then you can begin the process of developing him as a role player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
So you'd prefer to stunt a potential top six forwards development by having him play his sophomore season with an enforcer and a fourth line grinder? Anisimov is a skill player who should be playing with other skill players.

The only reason people are so hung up on this Shelley-Prust-Anisimov line is because the other three lines were so pathetically inept that by comparison, this line seems like something special. It's a fourth line. In this league, it isn't all that challenging to construct an effective fourth line.

We should be focusing on improving our top two lines. We've got all the makings of good third and fourth lines.

Prust/Shelley/Weise/Byers/random free agent/other possible young callup = all good candidates for a fourth line

Anisimov has the potential to be a second liner, you have to at least give him the chance to reach that potential. If he can't, then you can begin the process of developing him as a role player.

This is dead on. Now can you please go debunk the myths about Girardi and Christensen.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:11 AM
ChrisModem

Quote:

Agree 100%, although I'm not sure if Aves will be back next year.

ChrisModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If Weise is up next year, PAP becomes a regular and any one of McD/Kundratek/Klassen/Valatenko/Sangs/Sauer make the team, that's a start.

They did a pretty good job of integrating young guys this year.

First full seasons; Del Z, Anisimov, and Gilroy

Got their first extended taste of NHL action: Sangs, Byers, PAP, Heikennen (although he's leaving), even Locke

Got to spend a little time with the big club but didn't play; Grachev and Weise.

Not too shabby.

2-3 rookies to start the year is realistic (Weise, DMan, and maybe Hagelin?).
Hagelin said he wants to go back to Michigan for his senior season and get his degree.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I agree with everything you say about Anisimov's upside, but I think the situation needs to be handled delicately going forward.

I say this because the tools are obviously there for AA to become a top 6 center, but I think Prust/Shelley helped him immensely from a psychological standpoint. Lets face it, Anisimov was getting hammered quite often throughout the first half of the season. He has a bad habit of keeping his head down at times, and he needs to fill into his frame. Having two bangers like Shelley and Prust on his wings really seemed to give him the freedom to operate with more confidence.

I hate to steal a phrase from Torts, but as he says "its part of the process." As a result, I wouldnt be too quick to throw him back up on the top 2 lines. Hopefully he hits the weight room this summer, and adapts to having a little more skill on his wings instead of muscle.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote