HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The shootout highlights everything wrong with this team

Old
04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
The shootout highlights everything wrong with this team

First off, you just have to look at the lineups.. who does philly rely on? Their star players. Who do we rely on? A bunch of scrubs. Our last shot went to a guy who underperformed all season. I honestly don't think I'd be as pissed if they gave the shot to prust and he missed. I don't care what joker's #s are, he's been invisible all game, and he's underachieved all season long.

Why is gaborik bad at shootouts? The talent's obviously there. Why did we not hire a shootout coach to improve him on that part of the game? Instead we give up on him in the shootouts, am I the only one who thinks that's not right?

And torts was obviously relying on hank to make 3/3 saves, since he knows damn well we been struggling on the shootout the entire season.

Why do we not have a coach to teach hank how to handle the puck better? He's the best player on this team, we shouldn't be sparing any expense on any potential improvement for him. Granted it's only a tiny part of his responsibilities, but there's no reason NOT to work on this skill.

Last edited by Hockey Team: 04-13-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
You're right Hank needs to score more goals for us in shoot outs god damn it. Lol I get what you meant I think you made a typo on your last sentence though. I agree with everything your said.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
You're right Hank needs to score more goals for us in shoot outs god damn it. Lol I get what you meant I think you made a typo on your last sentence though. I agree with everything your said.
Yeah, Hank should be our 3rd shooter!

I was missing a word in the last line, fixed.

I can understand not wanting to invest money into AHL callups, for example, to improve certain skills, but it'd be a hard argument to make to say that spending money on improving hank is a waste.

Old
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
I agree. If I have one shot to save the season I'm going with the most talented player on the team not named Hank. Gaborik over Jokerman is a no-brainer if I'm making the call.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
First off, you just have to look at the lineups.. who does philly rely on? Their star players. Who do we rely on? A bunch of scrubs. Our last shot went to a guy who underperformed all season. I honestly don't think I'd be as pissed if they gave the shot to prust and he missed. I don't care what joker's #s are, he's been invisible all game, and he's underachieved all season long.

Why is gaborik bad at shootouts? The talent's obviously there. Why did we not hire a shootout coach to improve him on that part of the game? Instead we give up on him in the shootouts, am I the only one who thinks that's not right?

And torts was obviously relying on hank to make 3/3 saves, since he knows damn well we been struggling on the shootout the entire season.

Why do we not have a coach to teach hank how to handle the puck better? He's the best player on this team, we shouldn't be sparing any expense on any potential improvement for him. Granted it's only a tiny part of his responsibilities, but there's no reason NOT to work on this skill.
I think I've heard hank doesn't handle the puck well because his catcher is pretty stiff and he keeps it that way so it's as wide open as it can be, so if that's the case I'm not really sure what you can do to help him in that aspect of the game.

The shootout is barely dependent on actual game play. We sent PAP out there after he played a terrible game and he scored. So it did make sense to send joker out there anyway.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I think I've heard hank doesn't handle the puck well because his catcher is pretty stiff and he keeps it that way so it's as wide open as it can be, so if that's the case I'm not really sure what you can do to help him in that aspect of the game.

The shootout is barely dependent on actual game play. We sent PAP out there after he played a terrible game and he scored. So it did make sense to send joker out there anyway.
Yeah, but look at the garbage effort joker put into the shootout. Same garbage effort he put into the game.

And again, why was gaborik NOT coached to improve his shootouts? We just took him out of the shootout lineup. Wrong move! Given how important shootouts are, one of the top priorities of the rangers should've been to find his problem and fix it. We can't afford to not have our best scorer not participate in shootouts.

To have this ********* blow our season makes it many times more infuriating then if our best player couldn't make the shot

Old
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The shootout didn't end our season, the awful home ice play and horrible losing streaks in the middle of the season did.

We started the best(7-1) and ended the best(7-1-2), the problem was the in between. I mean, we had enough talent to start and finish well, it just seems a little bit more consistency and this team was easily in the playoffs.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:10 PM
morffin

oh please..I can hear it now if Torts put in Gaby and he missed...the board would be going nuts with...why put in Gaby he sucks at shootouts...Joke is 40% on SO what was torts thinking, comments.....20/20 hindsight is not only never wrong but annoying as hell to read... Torts did the right thing ...went with the guy with the higher SO % ..Gaby has sucked on SO and breakaways all season.

Hank does have a coach .. a highly paid one ..Im sure they work on his puck handling...or do you think us fans are the only ones who have noticed hes one the worst puck handling goalie in the lg.

Hank was fried after enduring yet another onslaught of high quality shots..he had nothing left by the time the SO came.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
oh please..I can hear it now if Torts put in Gaby and he missed...the board would be going nuts with...why put in Gaby he sucks at shootouts...Joke is 40% on SO what was torts thinking, comments.....20/20 hindsight is not only never wrong but annoying as hell to read... Torts did the right thing ...went with the guy with the higher SO % ..Gaby has sucked on SO and breakaways all season.

Hank does have a coach .. a highly paid one ..Im sure they work on his puck handling...or do you think us fans are the only ones who have noticed hes one the worst puck handling goalie in the lg.

Hank was fried after enduring yet another onslaught of high quality shots..he had nothing left by the time the SO came.
Maybe Gaborik would have been questioned, but I believe there are very few people that would have been pining for Jokinen to take the shot. What about Prospal? A guy that gave his all to this team all season AND had good shootout numbers?

But as bluenote said, the season was really lost in that 60 game stretch from November through March.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Maybe Gaborik would have been questioned, but I believe there are very few people that would have been pining for Jokinen to take the shot. What about Prospal? A guy that gave his all to this team all season AND had good shootout numbers?

But as bluenote said, the season was really lost in that 60 game stretch from November through March.
they let so many points get away with one indifferent game after another.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote