HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin St. Louis could ask to be traded

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2010, 05:19 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 500
Martin St. Louis could ask to be traded

Quote:
It is possible that star wing Marty St. Louis could ask to be traded if he does not believe the upcoming offseason changes make the team a playoff contender.

At least that's the impression he gave Monday at the St. Pete Times Forum after coach Rick Tocchet and general manager Brian Lawton were fired.

"I want to be on a winning team," he said. "It's three years of this and (we're going) back to square one, so I want to be on a winning team. That's the biggest thing. I'm not getting any younger. We'll see how it all shakes out this summer."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-trade/1087242

No question that he deserves to play for a competitive team but I couldn't imagine Marty leaving the Lightning even before his current contract expired. Thoughts?

Edit: Just realized it's already been posted on the Rumors & Trades forum. Your decision to shut this one down, Mods.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
peanutvendor

HOPEFULLY, this is a case of everyone respects marty. everyone in the organization listens to him when he speaks. vinik has to have learned what marty means, moreso than anyone else in the organization. this is martys way of saying "you better be telling the truth". HOPEFULLY

Old
04-14-2010, 08:15 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Reading this more as Marty saying that he's not going to sign an extension until he sees a team and coaching staff on the ice that is legitimately ready to get into the playoffs. Don't think he's asking for the Cup next year or he bails, he just wants to play in games that mean something. And why the hell not. Guy busts his ass every game, deserves to at least know his teamates and coaches want to win as much as he does. And that ownership/management is going to bring in people that have the ability to accomplish that.

If that can't be made to happen, then it's a different story. I think if he sees it going south and no effort being made to improve, then he will ask for a trade. Then the stuff hits the fan.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
If we can't get a competitive team for next season as much as I love him, he should get the chance to be traded in the trade dead-line with a contender.
And then come back home in the off-season as UFA...
Anyway I'm hoping that we get a competitive team for next year's season

Old
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Thinly veiled threat to get Vinik to spend some money.

Old
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
sonny side up

I dunno, maybe I am the only one here but I think it's kinda a ***** move on his part to say that. You already have a cup, you were one of the assets that we decided to keep after the lockout instead of a goalie,e and you get to play with one of the best up and coming players in the league. I am sure I am going to get flamed for this but I am still not on his nuts like everyone else. I like the guy and all because he's made Stammer a great player, but I am still not a fan of his personality. Sometimes it just seems like he thinks of himself only and if he doesn't like someone, he will make sure everyone knows it.

I have some other reasons for this but I am not sure if I can post them on these boards, but lets just say he can be a bit of a baby, even if he gets what he wants.

Like I said, I am probably the only one that feels this way and I already have my flameshield up. I hope he stays with the team for Stammer's or Vinny's sake.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

What would TBL fans like to see coming back if there was a trade for MSL?

As a Pens fan (and Floridian) MSL is one of my favorite players. I would love him in a Pens jersey.

Old
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
I think people read too much into this, he just wants to be sure the club moves in the right direction but I have no doubt he will stay here

04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny side up View Post
I dunno, maybe I am the only one here but I think it's kinda a ***** move on his part to say that. Y.
I think what he is saying is what what the fans want as well. He wants a playoff caliber team. The only difference is that he is on a timetable because of his age. Its one thing not to be on a playoff team in a league where only a few teams make the playoffs but a majority of the league makes the NHL playoffs. So you really have to suck not to make them.

Old
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

It' definitely is a weird comment. 2 days ago when he talked about playing on a line with Stamkos he said: "I've helped him. But let's be honest, he helped me, too. I'm 34 going on 35 this summer. I don't feel that, and I owe that to that youth in Stammer. When you have success like that, it just keeps you young." So what is it? Do you feel young or do you think your time is running out?

Old
04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Shadeslayer813

Well, the Lightning were a playoff team until after the olympic break and with a possible new goalie and some UFA, its possible to make the playoffs next year.

Old
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Patrick View Post
Thinly veiled threat to get Vinik to spend some money.
Bingo.

"Get your **** in line or I walk"

Old
04-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Maria

Quote:
I dunno, maybe I am the only one here but I think it's kinda a ***** move on his part to say that. You already have a cup, you were one of the assets that we decided to keep after the lockout instead of a goalie,e and you get to play with one of the best up and coming players in the league. I am sure I am going to get flamed for this but I am still not on his nuts like everyone else. I like the guy and all because he's made Stammer a great player, but I am still not a fan of his personality. Sometimes it just seems like he thinks of himself only and if he doesn't like someone, he will make sure everyone knows it.

I have some other reasons for this but I am not sure if I can post them on these boards, but lets just say he can be a bit of a baby, even if he gets what he wants.

Like I said, I am probably the only one that feels this way and I already have my flameshield up. I hope he stays with the team for Stammer's or Vinny's sake.

you are not the only one, I understand that he wants to win again but if he asks to be traded it would be like a slap in the face to the ONLY TEAM that gave him a chance.

Too bad not everyone can be 100% loyal to this team the way Vinny is, people can think whatever they want about him, but he loves the team no matter what, and has made it very clear he wants to retire here, is a shame that the other leader doesn't feel the same.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Like I said before the day Marty leaves is the day I cry.

And dammit Marty I haven't cried in a long time don't ruin the streak!

Old
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
CSampson

Will retire in a Bolts jersey. Book it.

Old
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
sonny side up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Too bad not everyone can be 100% loyal to this team the way Vinny is, people can think whatever they want about him, but he loves the team no matter what, and has made it very clear he wants to retire here, is a shame that the other leader doesn't feel the same.
Quoted for so much truth!!!

I remember being downstairs during the last game where the players come out and great some fans (if that makes any sense, lol).. but he had a hard time, he was saying a LOT of good byes. I personally would HATE to see Vinny go anywhere. I have more respect for him than Marty and to me, despite what the majority of the people think, Vinny deserves that C. I know people think its only about what you do on the ice but this guy does SO MUCH for the community (see his foundation). Hell, it seems like he won't even sign stuff for the Lightning foundation unless something goes back to his foundation. He cares so much about this city and I refuse to think that anyone else (with in the next 5 years) deserves that C. I have a feeling that we will see Vinny give it up to the likes of Stammer or Hedman, but until that day, Vinny has the C and deserves every stitch of it.

To me the C is about being a leader on and off the ice.. Marty is only a leader on the ice, a great one at that, but only one on the ice.

If Vinny is traded at one point, I will wait for the day that Vinny returns here just for a day just so he can retire a bolt (much like Nomar did for the RedSox this year, like Jerry Rice did for the 49ers).

One thing I would like to see happen, even though I am sure it wouldn't, is to see Vinny void his own contract and sign a newer cheaper one just to help the team out ... I can dream, lol

Old
04-14-2010, 02:08 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Will retire in a Bolts jersey. Book it.
I don't doubt it.

Old
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
pirate94

Problem is too many coaching changes, I've heard he wasn't impressed with Tocchet being fired and Lawton not securing a proven goaltender doesnlt help. Previous owners set this team back 3 years with infighting and tinkering.
Whoever comes in needs to get a real goaltender and start making progress immediately.

Old
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Off Center

i just think it's marty acknowledging that the new GM will have his own plans and ideas. if those ideas include breaking down the roster AGAIN to get prospects and players that fit the new GM & coaches needs, marty doesn't have 3 years to wait for it to come together. i think that's reasonable for a guy who plays as hard as he does to want to be playing for championships in his last few years rather than babysitting more prospects.

i'm sure he appreciates playing with stamkos, but there are elite centers on contending teams all over the league that he could quickly make even better.

i doubt marty will ask for a trade, but he may not be back with the bolts after this contract if he sees the team looking at a 3 year plan that will make him 37+ the next time he can realistically contend for the Cup

Old
04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Quoted for so much truth!!!

I remember being downstairs during the last game where the players come out and great some fans (if that makes any sense, lol).. but he had a hard time, he was saying a LOT of good byes. I personally would HATE to see Vinny go anywhere. I have more respect for him than Marty and to me, despite what the majority of the people think, Vinny deserves that C. I know people think its only about what you do on the ice but this guy does SO MUCH for the community (see his foundation). Hell, it seems like he won't even sign stuff for the Lightning foundation unless something goes back to his foundation. He cares so much about this city and I refuse to think that anyone else (with in the next 5 years) deserves that C. I have a feeling that we will see Vinny give it up to the likes of Stammer or Hedman, but until that day, Vinny has the C and deserves every stitch of it.

To me the C is about being a leader on and off the ice.. Marty is only a leader on the ice, a great one at that, but only one on the ice.

If Vinny is traded at one point, I will wait for the day that Vinny returns here just for a day just so he can retire a bolt (much like Nomar did for the RedSox this year, like Jerry Rice did for the 49ers).

One thing I would like to see happen, even though I am sure it wouldn't, is to see Vinny void his own contract and sign a newer cheaper one just to help the team out ... I can dream, lol
I think it is unfair to hang him out to dry on this. Yes he won a cup but no one says ok thats enough I never want to win another. He is getting long in the tooth and his opportunities to be a contributing member of a team that has a good chance of winning is fading. He did win you guys a cup and an MPV and I (as a canucks fan) have had a soft spot for what has happened to you guys and the OK hockey group. Side note I live in Victoria B.C. a small city and run into Len Barrie from time to time he is a complete ******. Anyway you guys have some exceptional young talent but yest again a high pick and a low finish. Dont you think it would be a win win if you traded him for a couple good prospects? maybe he is just tired of all the drama? I could understand that. anyway here is to hoping your new owner gets solid managment and pulls it all together for yo guys.

Old
04-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Hockeyfan02

ITT, Marty has turned his back on the team and has always been selfish. Ok......

Old
04-19-2010, 04:12 AM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
ITT, Marty has turned his back on the team and has always been selfish. Ok......

I don't see much of that in here.

Don't even see much "could ask to be traded" out of the comments he actually made. He wants to win. He is under contract another year. His contributions next season will directly impact the success of this team. If the team sucks bad enough as a whole next season he won't need to ask to be traded. On the flip side, if they are at all successful they won't be able to afford to trade him.

I don't make much of it and think he'll be back, day 1 training camp in game day shape leading the charge into next season. Hopefully other things fall into place naturally such that this team is winning.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
johnjm22

The Kings need a consistent scoring winger with playoff experience.

What would you guys want from LA?

Old
04-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Doughty.

Old
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
Doughty.
Right and I want him to make it over with a new Ferrari for me but you gotta be a bit more realistic.

Closed Thread