HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Slovakia at the 2010 World Championship

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
MontrealHabitant

vCash: 500
Sorry Slovakians, no Halak

Old
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
you mean the back-up from Montreal ?

Old
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant View Post
I don´t know how I´d feel robbing Budaj of the No. 1 job with Halák comming in, Peter saved our butts in all games. As much as I love Jaro.

I think most of us Slovak fans wish for both of them to do well- Halák with Montreal and Budaj with Slovakia. Plus what Jaro is doing right now is a much greater propagation of Slovakia then the WHC, it was really great to see Habs fans chanting Halák in the streets of Montreal or a guy with a Slovak halák jersey on screaming that he loves Halák and Slovakia on our TV.

GO HABS GO!!

Old
05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
I don´t know how I´d feel robbing Budaj of the No. 1 job with Halák comming in, Peter saved our butts in all games. As much as I love Jaro.

I think most of us Slovak fans wish for both of them to do well- Halák with Montreal and Budaj with Slovakia. Plus what Jaro is doing right now is a much greater propagation of Slovakia then the WHC, it was really great to see Habs fans chanting Halák in the streets of Montreal or a guy with a Slovak halák jersey on screaming that he loves Halák and Slovakia on our TV.

GO HABS GO!!

same feelings here, extremely proud on Jaro

These shots from Montreal almost brought tears in my eyes

Old
05-13-2010, 03:57 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoo View Post
same feelings here, extremely proud on Jaro

These shots from Montreal almost brought tears in my eyes
Me too!! That was really great!!

Old
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
slovakiasnextone

14.05. 16:15 SVK-DEN
17.05. 16:15 SVK-FIN
18.05. 16:15 SVK-GER

Definitely not the best shedule IMO.

Old
05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
kajoo

after DEN game we have 3 off days before back-to-back games with Finns and Germans.

We better win tomorrow because if we screw the game with Finns we could be missing energy for Germans, and we all know how the Germans don´t suit us.

Old
05-14-2010, 04:13 AM
alko

Quote:
14.05. 16:15 SVK-DEN
17.05. 16:15 SVK-FIN
18.05. 16:15 SVK-GER

Definitely not the best shedule IMO.

thats right. i have to go 1 hour earlier from office. or stream something in internet....

Old
05-14-2010, 12:41 PM
slovakiasnextone

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...26333917383756

Old
05-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Máš pravdu, nebolo to žiadne slovensko. ale iba také normálne Slovensko.

'you're right, it was not Slovakia. but only those normally Slovakia' ???

I must be missing something here.

Old
05-14-2010, 11:48 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I don't get to see the games. Has anyone noticed Tomas Tatar out there much? What are your impressions of him so far?

Old
05-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Wings4Life

Big Z making the trip?

Old
05-15-2010, 03:44 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

That´s from last year 0-8 isn´t it? Nah, I like the Chuck Norris in Danish jersey joke better. I don´t think it is time to seriously get worried just now. Danes played incredibly the first 10 minutes and we forgot to show up just like in all games before btw. And we did what Slovakia usually does, taking stupid penalties. You can hardly expect a team that gets scored 3 goals on 3 shots come back. IMO right now we are just as the beginning of the road, while the Danes are finally getting something from their work. Let them have their dream. If we lose to them like this in 2014, then I ´ll be really pissed. Plus one game does not mean anything just yet and I believe the guys needed a slap into the face like this, cuz because of the results they were starting to live in an illusion of how great they played, even though all the games could have ended diferently if our opponents were actually able to use our huge mistakes on deffense. Plus, what is the difference in losing by one goal or by 6? Remember the Olympics semifinals, there was this one team that almost tied Canada in the last seconds and this other team that got blown out by the silver medeal winner, remember which one was the one with the bronze medal games on their day the next day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
Big Z making the trip?
Well, he prmised it before the play-offs, Šatan said he´d come too. Nothing official on it just yet though.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Geric

They really need Chara and Satan.

Old
05-15-2010, 09:09 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
They really need Chara and Satan.
Personally, I would not want to be in Peter Bondra´s shoes right now. What is he gonna call them and say: "Sorry, guys, that really gotta suck, but you comming to save our ass at the Worlds? Would be best if you played Monday against the Finns already..."

Old
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Kamzik

I feel somewhat responsible for the 6-0 first period. I watched the game 24 hours after it happened as I was unable to see it live. I was all excited and ready to watch the game, I had snacks prepared and everything. But in my life, whatever can go possibly wrong actually does go wrong, so after waiting 24 hours to see the game it is no surprise that Slovakia re-writes the national team record book on worst ever period in the 17 year history of the team.

I must say I don't find the loss overly troubling. First of all Denmark is a good team. The wins over Finland and USA were not flukes. I was especially impressed by Peter Regin. He seemed to me to be the best player on the ice. Secondly, the game happened 18 hours after the Slovak victory over Kazakhstan. That is just too short a time to recover. Thirdly team Slovakia has teenagers, and Hanlon gives them a lot of time on the ice. When the team uses Peter Fruhauf at forward it can't be taken overly seriously.

I couldn't help noticing that Dominik Granak was on the ice for 4 of 6 Danish goals. Captain Richard Lintner was on the ice for 3 of them. Using Richard Lintner to kill penalties, sorry Glen but that is like flying an Airbus 330 over a volcano. In fact the only Slovak defenseman that shouldn't hang their head in shame was the Slovak MOTM Andrej Sekera and he is one of the young guys that will still be a part of this team a decade from now.

Old
05-15-2010, 12:17 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I feel somewhat responsible for the 6-0 first period. I watched the game 24 hours after it happened as I was unable to see it live. I was all excited and ready to watch the game, I had snacks prepared and everything. But in my life, whatever can go possibly wrong actually does go wrong, so after waiting 24 hours to see the game it is no surprise that Slovakia re-writes the national team record book on worst ever period in the 17 year history of the team.

I must say I don't find the loss overly troubling. First of all Denmark is a good team. The wins over Finland and USA were not flukes. I was especially impressed by Peter Regin. He seemed to me to be the best player on the ice. Secondly, the game happened 18 hours after the Slovak victory over Kazakhstan. That is just too short a time to recover. Thirdly team Slovakia has teenagers, and Hanlon gives them a lot of time on the ice. When the team uses Peter Fruhauf at forward it can't be taken overly seriously.

I couldn't help noticing that Dominik Granak was on the ice for 4 of 6 Danish goals. Captain Richard Lintner was on the ice for 3 of them. Using Richard Lintner to kill penalties, sorry Glen but that is like flying an Airbus 330 over a volcano. In fact the only Slovak defenseman that shouldn't hang their head in shame was the Slovak MOTM Andrej Sekera and he is one of the young guys that will still be a part of this team a decade from now.
I definitely wouldn´t blame this on the young guys, well maybe those two penalties for each Pánik and Tatar in the first. However Bulík played only like 4 minutes in the game, Tatar less than 10. Pánik played 20, but he kept trying all the time and Dravecký with around 16 was tied for the lead in SOG with 6. I can blame Sekera for something he comitted two fouls in like 3 minutes at the start of the second, which led to a Danish 5-3. (Podkonický got called for the 1st one, probably because of jersey numbers 14 and 24)

The problem in our deffense is that our supposed leader Citrón has always been know more than a forward than a deffensmen. It´s totally disorganized there and there just is noone on the team, who would or better said could take care of it.

Kamzik, wanna join me in sending a tape of those first 15 minutes to Zdeno Chára and a telegraphe with:
Look STOP
Please STOP
Help STOP

Old
05-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Washington Capitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4Life View Post
Big Z making the trip?
I just heard he's not coming.

Old
05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Capitals View Post
I just heard he's not coming.
Yeah, he´s not. Can´t blame him, his injured after all and needs his rest.

Šatan is comming though.

Old
05-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Kamzik

Where would you put Satan in the line-up? I think I would try Bartovic-Podkonicky-Satan, move Panik back with Zagrapan and Svatos. Leave Tatar-Bulik-Dravecky, and have Ciernik with Kukumberg and Macho.

Old
05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Where would you put Satan in the line-up? I think I would try Bartovic-Podkonicky-Satan, move Panik back with Zagrapan and Svatos. Leave Tatar-Bulik-Dravecky, and have Ciernik with Kukumberg and Macho.
I think having Šatan play with Tatar and Pánik would be kinda fitting, you know like Šatan and Pálffy with Peter šťastný in the 1994 Olympics.

I wonder whether Glen will leave Lintner with the C still, it´s kinda eird having on the team without the C when Chára isn´t there.

Old
05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

He’s referring to a chant that was made popular by Slovakia's WCH teams of early 2000s. It goes something like - Slovenskóóó, Slovenskóóo, hey yah, hey yah, hey yah, Slovensko. Sounds stupid like this, you'd have to hear it.

Also your translation is a bit flawed. Normálne in this case is an adjective, so the translation is something like - You're right, that was no Slovakiaaa (from the chant), just normal Slovakia.

Old
05-15-2010, 03:42 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
He’s referring to a chant that was made popular by Slovakia's WCH teams of early 2000s. It goes something like - Slovenskóóó, Slovenskóóo, hey yah, hey yah, hey yah, Slovensko. Sounds stupid like this, you'd have to hear it.

Also your translation is a bit flawed. Normálne in this case is an adjective, so the translation is something like - You're right, that was no Slovakiaaa (from the chant), just normal Slovakia.
At around 1st minute here:

EDIT: And even more clearly at 2 minutes...

Old
05-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
I think having Šatan play with Tatar and Pánik would be kinda fitting, you know like Šatan and Pálffy with Peter šťastný in the 1994 Olympics.

I wonder whether Glen will leave Lintner with the C still, it´s kinda weird having on the team without the C when Chára isn´t there.
There is no way that Hanlon will change captains in the middle of a tournament. I doubt Miro would accept anyhow. It is just something you can't do and still retain your credibility.

As for your suggested line, that is fine. It would mean using Satan at centre which he can play. Panik played centre for Windsor but he prefers wing (more specificially RW). I think Satan is at his best when he is playing with a puck distributing centre like David Krejci. Slovakia doesn't have anyone like that so putting him between Tatar and Panik would be decent.

Last edited by Kamzik: 05-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old
05-15-2010, 03:51 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
There is no way that Hanlon will change captains in the middle of a tournament. I doubt Miro would accept anyhow. It is just something you can't do and still retain your credibility.

As for your suggested line, that is fine. It would mean using Satan at centre which he can play. Panik played centre for Windsor but he prefers wing (more speficially RW). I think Satan is at his best when he is playing with a puck distributing centre like David Krejci. Slovakia doesn't have anyone like that so putting him between Tatar and Panik would be decent.
Yeah, you´re right, But it´s just weird seeing Miro there without the C. Btw he will arrive tomorrow and play on Monday. He originally wanted to take a day off, but said that we might not have anything to play for by then.

Closed Thread