HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden looks like a goner, Avery maybe

Old
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
The Rangers have plunty of cap space to re-sign both those guys without waiving Redden. The waiving of Redden will be because the Rangers signed or traded for a top 4 d-man (More then likely at least).
I think "plunty" is an overstatement

If Staal gets 3.5 and Girardi gets 2.5 (and Girardi may get more, being arbitration eligible), that's almost 4 million more than they cost this year. Factor in the cost of replacing Jokinen, and pretty much all of that cap space is gone. Then we still have to re-sign or replace Prospal. Our other UFA/RFAs won't get signficant raises, but money will be tight. I'm guessing that Sather will only offer Staal a 2 year deal at around 2 mil per year to save some cap space, but it will bite us in the ass in 2 years when we have to pay him 4+ mil per year in arbitration.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I don't see Avery going anywhere. He will be in New York for at least another season.

My ideal 3rd line would be:

Avery - Drury - Callahan

To have that line, the Rangers would have to get a 2nd line RW'er (A stop-gag to a 1 year contract that would be relatively cheap, may be?). Don't see them doing that though. I'd like to see a line-up of:

MZA/Dubinsky - Christiansen - Gaborik
Dubinksy/MZA - Anisimov - FA RW'er (Holmstrom?)
Avery - Drury - Callahan
Prust - Boyle - Shelley

Staal - Roszival
Volchenkov - MDZ
Girardi - Sangs/Sauer/McD
Eriksson

Waive Redden / Get rid of Brashear / Waive or trade Voros / Gilroy dealt to move up or add another pick

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I made a similar lineup earlier, UA, and if MZA signs for 1 mil, Staal signs for 4 and Girardi 2.5, Volchenkov 5, we're only at around 52 million. Course I has Weise in instead of Holmstrom, and bumped Callahan and Prust a line.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Alright, I've been staring at this page for 5 minutes trying to figure out who MZA is. A little help please?

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Redden better be in the ahl.

Get me Michalek or Volchenkov and I will be happy.

I just have that feeling Sathers gonna go after Kovy. If he does, it better be frontloaded like Hossa and Pronger.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Alright, I've been staring at this page for 5 minutes trying to figure out who MZA is. A little help please?
Mats Zuccarello Aasen, Foward

Norwegian player playing in SEL and put up some big numbers.

Had an impressive showing at the Olympics.

Knock is his size. 5"7-5"8

Rumor had it, that he was meeting with sather weeks back.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I think "plunty" is an overstatement

If Staal gets 3.5 and Girardi gets 2.5 (and Girardi may get more, being arbitration eligible), that's almost 4 million more than they cost this year. Factor in the cost of replacing Jokinen, and pretty much all of that cap space is gone. Then we still have to re-sign or replace Prospal. Our other UFA/RFAs won't get signficant raises, but money will be tight. I'm guessing that Sather will only offer Staal a 2 year deal at around 2 mil per year to save some cap space, but it will bite us in the ass in 2 years when we have to pay him 4+ mil per year in arbitration.
With the salary cap going up to $57.7 million next season, the Rangers will have $13.7 million in cap space. They have 8 forwards (Gaborik, Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Voros, Boyle, and Anisimov), 4 D-men (Roszival, Redden, Gilroy, and MDZ), and 1 goalie (Lundqvist) signed.

The Rangers will more then likely bring back all of Prust, Shelley, Christiansen, and Eriksson (as the 7th D). Let's say they get $800K each, so that is $3.2 million, bringing the Rangers available cap down to $10.5 million.

Then the Rangers bring back Staal for the $3.5 million and Girardi for the $2.5 million you listed. That brinngs the Rangers available down to $4.5 million.

Then the Rangers add a back-up goalie, let's say Hedberg, for around $1 million. That brings the Rangers available cap down to $3.5 million. The Rangers would have 11 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies under contract then.

This is not the best scenario for the Rangers, because it would be just about the same exact team that they iced this season, and we all know how that worked out. I wouldn't want this to happen lol. If the Rangers brought all those guys back and then waived Redden, they would have $10 million in cap space to work with, and have to sign 2 more players (1 forward and 1 D-man).

Old
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
Mats Zuccarello Aasen, Foward

Norwegian player playing in SEL and put up some big numbers.

Had an impressive showing at the Olympics.

Knock is his size. 5"7-5"8

Rumor had it, that he was meeting with sather weeks back.
Oh, Aasen. I was thinking more in terms of prospects since people said he would sign for 1 mil.

I doubt he goes that cheap.

Old
04-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Oh, Aasen. I was thinking more in terms of prospects since people said he would sign for 1 mil.

I doubt he goes that cheap.
Thought it needed to be an entry level contract.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
UAGG, don't forget Brashear. Unless he's traded, he'll count against the cap.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
With the salary cap going up to $57.7 million next season, the Rangers will have $13.7 million in cap space. They have 8 forwards (Gaborik, Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Avery, Voros, Boyle, and Anisimov), 4 D-men (Roszival, Redden, Gilroy, and MDZ), and 1 goalie (Lundqvist) signed.

The Rangers will more then likely bring back all of Prust, Shelley, Christiansen, and Eriksson (as the 7th D). Let's say they get $800K each, so that is $3.2 million, bringing the Rangers available cap down to $10.5 million.

Then the Rangers bring back Staal for the $3.5 million and Girardi for the $2.5 million you listed. That brinngs the Rangers available down to $4.5 million.

Then the Rangers add a back-up goalie, let's say Hedberg, for around $1 million. That brings the Rangers available cap down to $3.5 million. The Rangers would have 11 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies under contract then.

This is not the best scenario for the Rangers, because it would be just about the same exact team that they iced this season, and we all know how that worked out. I wouldn't want this to happen lol. If the Rangers brought all those guys back and then waived Redden, they would have $10 million in cap space to work with, and have to sign 2 more players (1 forward and 1 D-man).
is that fact?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
is that fact?
It's not a fact, yet. There were reports a week or two ago that said the cap would be moving up to that number, but nothing in stone yet.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:57 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Thought it needed to be an entry level contract.
I don't think so, isn't Gilroy above entry level?

Old
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
BwayBshirt

It's funny that Redden says he knows he has to be better next year...

...because he said the same thing last year when Torts specifically told everybody on the team at that time "Be prepared for camp from day 1".

He's been a declining player ever since the lockout.

Redden is done, period. There is no saving him. And he will be gone.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh, the rage. THE RAGE.

I hated the signing from Day 1, even though I was willing to give Brash a chance to prove himself. What a waste of money... ****

Last edited by Loffen: 04-14-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Avery was our highest scoring LW...

I don't know about Auld - maybe they're just trying to get a feel for who is out there and how much they will cost. Biron, Moose, Auld, etc.... whoever is cheapest FTW.
I support this.

Avery should not be going anywhere... And as for Brashear, something SOMETHING needs to be done. Why in the **** did he get signed to a 2-YEAR CONTRACT let alone at all?

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Richter35

Avery isn't going anywhere, of that I'm fairly certain. Redden (like Brashear) could be "Nylander'd," assigned to a pro league in europe with the Rangers still paying the vast majority of their salary. Both players would have to agree to this but I think in both cases, they would rather play in a pro-league in Sweden that in hartford. Torts comments were very telling about what he thought about Wade. Even if wade was performing at Dan Girardi's level (which he's not even close to), he would never be worth what he's making. Obviously thats sather's fault, but this is one mistake he can't send to montreal. bye bye wade

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Fletch

nyr2k2..

Avery did show a lot after his benching, however, do you need to sit through some games in which he goes through the motions, gets benched, has a few good games, then back to brutal, then sit again? I think a coach does need to work, but at the same time concentrating on one guy for as much as a coach may have to with Avery at times seems a bit much. His inconsistencies are his biggest issue. He has talent. He can play hard. He can be a guy who scores 15 goals at even strength while playing third line minutes, who agitates, hits, etc. The only problem is you don't get that guy in enough games.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
In my little dream scenario, Brashear is put on the LTIR because he's not inshape, a la Mogilny lol.

And as for the cap going up to $57.7, it was based on the projected revenues from the teams that were going into the playoffs at the time (I think at least). That and the very strong Canadian dollar. It's a pretty good bet that that will be the cap number for next season.

Old
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I really don't like this strategy. Torts has essentially put the team in a position where they MUST make a dramatic move with Redden now. I'm not sure that continuing to poison the well in Hartford with NYR malcontents is really a best case scenario for anyone either.

Does this guy ever trying building a bridge, or just default to burning them down with flamethrowers when he meets someone he doesn't happen to agree with?
so now were blaming torts for Reddens poor play?

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
I don't think so, isn't Gilroy above entry level?
Players that are under the age of 24 are subject to ELC mandates. MZA is under 24.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
so now were blaming torts for Reddens poor play?
Man, heaven help anyone who doesn't have something negative to say about Redden, right? I'm sorry I even bothered to present anything by the party line on the most hated player since Kamensky.

I'm not sure why it's a stretch to say that Redden, clearly, doesn't fit into this team or coaching strategy, yet might find more success elsewhere. Do you think that's an off-the-wall suggestion Inferno? Have you never seen an example of player who struggled in one situation, but responded to a change in environment?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
then back to brutal
Describe brutal.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Players that are under the age of 24 are subject to ELC mandates. MZA is under 24.
Good looks, thanks. I didn't realize he was so young.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Under Renney, Redden was a competent 2nd pairing guy, and I think ALL of us would happily take that now.

Both of you guys are right that there were times where it looked like Torts was going to get the best out of Redden. By the same token, there was a time when Kotalik was red hot from the point on the PP.

SOMETHING happened to these player/coach relationships along the way that changed all that. Any insight?

Really!? Reddens lack luster horrible play was part of the reason Renney was fired. I just don't see all the positives that you see. I've actually eased up on Redden too, but he has got to go.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote