HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babchuk wants return a Cane

Old
04-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
I was always a Babchuk fan and hope he comes back and finally puts it all together

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 07:27 PM
WWAD

vCash: 500
Has Babchuk officially overtaken Jack Johnson yet as player most argued about on Hurricanes HF boards?

Bring him back, I say. Maybe then we can finally overtake Florida in HF Boards post counts.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

I have no problem with Babchuk coming back, so long as he is used wisely.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Babchuk and Pothier would take us out of the Dman market....though i guess it would free up more money for a possible impact winger for Staal since im sure Anton would be coming back on the cheap.

This D group would still be too soft for me, full of poke-checkers.
How'd that big tough D group work out for the Canes before they traded them all?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
bleedgreen

the problem wasnt that it was wrong to go "tough", it was jr' choices for tough. alberts was the best one recently. when we went "big" and tough we were promised three new d men. we got pitts, babs, and melichar. that was his idea of big and tough. what we got were three guys with lead feet in their own end, and none of them were remotely tough. so the issue isnt the style choice, we still need some more toughness we just need to ante up and pay a guy or two that can be tough to play against AND can skate. they dont even have to be big, they just have to be tough to play against in the foote/hannan sense we have here in CO. jr's idea of toughness seemingly over the last few years means height. robidas is tough. he's a midget.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Agree with Guerzy about the schizo nature of our approach to blueline.

I'm not so worried about whether we sign/trade or we sign and try to place him, I just want to get some return on the investment.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
caley

Chip Alexander weighs in on the Babchuk subject today. Rutherford wants him back.

Quote:
The Canes will be playing a preseason exhibition game this fall in Russia against St. Petersburg of the KHL, and Jim Rutherford said today defenseman Anton Babchuk could be playing for Carolina in that game.
Rutherford said he is optimistic the Hurricanes will reach an agreement with Babchuk that would being him back to the NHL. Babchuk left the Canes after the 2008-2009 season and played this past season with Avangard Omsk of the KHL.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...s-babchuk-back

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
How'd that big tough D group work out for the Canes before they traded them all?
Cmon thats a silly comment. The issues were a result of who JR brought in not the philospophy itself.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Guy

http://twitter.com/Jay_Grossman/status/14298929691

Quote:
Working on a 3rd return to the #Canes for D Anton Babchuk. Had 12 G in last 24 NHL games and 16 in '08-'09 season.
http://carhur.com/x9

Last edited by Guy: 05-19-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added official link
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 11:40 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
interesting. Babchuk re-hired the same agent he fired before he left for Russia last time.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
totalkev

I'm interested to see if Rutherford is trying to jam the same $1 million qualifier down Babs's throat this time around, or is working on a somewhat reasonable multi-year deal. Either way, I hope he's trade bait. I just don't think he plays an "NHL" game. You've simply got to be willing to take a hit to make a play, or make a hit for no other reason than to wear down your opponent. His "no touch" game just doesn't fly, and it (along with his two trips to Russia) is costing him respect among teammates -- and opponents, too.

And as a preemptive response, before the Babchuk apologists come out of the woodwork going to the illogical extreme and explaining to me how "hitting isn't part of his game," and "do you want him to be like Commodore who was constantly getting himself out of position trying to make a big hit?" I'm not talking about "changing his game." I'm talking about being willing to play the game the way it should be played, with some fight and some willingness to get a little dirty.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:31 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

I see Grossman decided not to include NHL playoff games in that stat pack.

Old
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
caniac247

Quote:
In April, Rutherford said that Babchuk’s status would be a determining factor in what further steps the team takes to shore up its defense. Talks have apparently gone smoothly enough that the team can now shift some of its focus elsewhere with greater confidence that he will be in the top four on opening night.

At the team’s annual scouting meetings in early June, rounding out the blue line behind Tim Gleason, Joni Pitkanen, Jamie McBain and Babchuk will be one of many discussions. Rutherford said that he would not rule out any of the players who finished the season as Hurricanes, including unrestricted free agents Jay Harrison and Brian Pothier and restricted free agents Brett Carson and Alexandre Picard, to fill those spots.

If Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain and Babchuk round out the top 4, then we better as hell look like re-signing Pothier or conning Martin to come play for us.

All I have to say is poor Cam Ward.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
impeach estaalo

Don't worry. Jay Harrison will solve everything.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post

If Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain and Babchuk round out the top 4, then we better as hell look like re-signing Pothier or conning Martin to come play for us.

All I have to say is poor Cam Ward.
People says the same thing for 08-09 actually.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Scorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
People says the same thing for 08-09 actually.
That's true, and a bunch of people where excited about the 09-10 defense.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Cmon thats a silly comment. The issues were a result of who JR brought in not the philospophy itself.
I'm aware that the players brought in weren't any good but I generally disagree with the change in philosiphy as well. Didn't the team make it to the conference finals with more puck moving/speed oriented defenseman? So why the sudden 180 in the defensive philosiphy?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 03:52 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I'm aware that the players brought in weren't any good but I generally disagree with the change in philosiphy as well. Didn't the team make it to the conference finals with more puck moving/speed oriented defenseman? So why the sudden 180 in the defensive philosiphy?
Im not asking for a 180 change in defensive philosphy just that the team is in need of a good shutdown guy and at least 1 more physical presence. Its not an either/or philosophy im advocating. I still maintain that the conference final run from that group of players was a fluke....and that group was exposed in the ECF. Last season certainly pointed towards that being the case. Also plenty of teams around the league have good skating dmen who are willing to get physical in the corners or wreck forwards in the on forecheck. We need a more well-rounded group. Guys like Gill are a hugely important piece to a deep cup run espeically when your skating dmen dont bring the lumber. Of course Chicago and Philly have the best of both worlds since their mobile guys are also willing to play heavy on the boards. Our mobile guys dont play that way and it leaves us with a gaping hole. A guy like Zanon would have been ideal here last season since he plays a good defensive game, blocks shots, is fairly mobile, and is willing to get physical. I want well rounded defense first guys like that added.......not slow, terrible laterally, check yourself out of position guys like Ward and Alberts. And they need someone to help take the pressure off Tim, JR continues to hang him out to dry.

Old
05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Im not asking for a 180 change in defensive philosphy just that the team is in need of a good shutdown guy and at least 1 more physical presence. Its not an either/or philosophy im advocating. I still maintain that the conference final run from that group of players was a fluke....and that group was exposed in the ECF. Last season certainly pointed towards that being the case. Also plenty of teams around the league have good skating dmen who are willing to get physical in the corners or wreck forwards in the on forecheck. We need a more well-rounded group. Guys like Gill are a hugely important piece to a deep cup run espeically when your skating dmen dont bring the lumber. Of course Chicago and Philly have the best of both worlds since their mobile guys are also willing to play heavy on the boards. Our mobile guys dont play that way and it leaves us with a gaping hole. A guy like Zanon would have been ideal here last season since he plays a good defensive game, blocks shots, is fairly mobile, and is willing to get physical. I want well rounded defense first guys like that added.......not slow, terrible laterally, check yourself out of position guys like Ward and Alberts. And they need someone to help take the pressure off Tim, JR continues to hang him out to dry.

Well said, and I agree.

As for the last part, JR already indicated he believes that guy is Jay Harrison.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 06:00 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Lets go Sharks and the Secret Weapon!
I can't back you on that, my friend! Go Ladd and the 'Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
You didn't just say that about the man who dropped the line "These is the times".
...but that's now a classic line. Part of Carolina Hurricanes lore, just like Yogi Berra's quotes are part of Yankees lore in MLB.

"Don't make a wrong mistake." -YB

"It gets late early out there." -YB

"These is the times." -JR

Last edited by ChuckW: 05-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I'm fine with Babs back, as long as Pothier is also back...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 07:51 PM
AD Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I'm fine with Babs back, as long as Pothier is also back...
My thoughts exactly. Or, if not Pothier, someone with a similar skillset and salary level who can actually play some defense (and not, for example, Josef Melichar). I just don't see why the team would walk away from Pothier unless his monetary demands were outrageous. I thought he played pretty well here and, while I have a lot of faith in Jamie McBain, depending on him to be a cornerstone of the defense in first full NHL season is pretty risky. Something like

Gleason-McBain
Pitkanen-Babchuk
Pothier-Harrison

wouldn't make me want to jump off a cliff.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:37 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Talks have apparently gone smoothly enough that the team can now shift some of its focus elsewhere with greater confidence that he will be in the top four on opening night.
Link

I share the sentiments that a top 4 with both McBain and Babchuk is a bad move, but it looks like that's what we're going to go with. Best case scenario we're looking at something like this:

Pitkanen-Babchuk
Gleason-McBain
Pothier-Carson

I really hope that we can bring back Pothier on a reasonable contract.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
McBain and Babchuk in the top 4 isn't a bad move.... if the team has the depth to compensate when injuries happen and/or one of their games goes south. Pothier is a MUST to bring back if we're going to have McBain and Babchuk in our top 4. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to retain Harrison or Rodney on a two-way deal either given this.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2010, 09:19 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
McBain and Babchuk in the top 4 isn't a bad move.... if the team has the depth to compensate when injuries happen and/or one of their games goes south. Pothier is a MUST to bring back if we're going to have McBain and Babchuk in our top 4. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to retain Harrison or Rodney on a two-way deal either given this.
I should expand more on what I mean. If both are going to be in the top 4, and if Pothier isn't back, the only people behind them will be Carson, Picard, Harrison, and AHL defenders. If Pitkanen goes down, which will most likely happen at some point, we better hope we have no other injuries. God help us if Pitkanen and Gleason go down at the same time....

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote