HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Chafing gloves

Old
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Chafing gloves

Anybody know what to do in this situation?

My gloves fit perfectly except for one spot. On the knuckle of my right index finger, something inside the glove chafes hard and rips through the skin after about an hour of practice. It hurts pretty bad with the sweat already inside the glove, not to mention limiting my movement.

I want to emphasize -- the gloves fit fine and I don't want to shell out for another pair. I just need to fix that one spot, midway through the index finger.

Is it possible to repair it with some kind of adhesive? Maybe wear a band of Ace bandage on my knuckle as protection? Or do I just lie and say I landed a haymaker on someone last time I was at the rink?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Skraut

Try some liquid bandage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_bandage on the spot before you play.

My cousin was telling me about it. He's a runner, and gets "Chest chaffed" by his t-shirts when he runs. Says a little on the spot before he goes running solves the problem.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Out of curiosity, are they One90's?

I'd try a little shaving cream with lanolin just on that spot on the inside of the glove to see if it softens up. You could also bring them to a repair place and see if they have an idea of how to fix it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
stick9

It's probably a seam or group of stitching causing the irritation. You could check with some places that do heavy sewing and repairs and see if they can fix it, or tape up your finger until the area softens up.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Thanks for the recs, guys.

Jarick, they're Warriors.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Axxion89

I have the same problem as the OP, I have these pro stock Easton 4 rolls and on my left hand only, my ring finger nuckle chafes along the bend and I grip hard. In addition, theres is a large sewn seem in the left index finger with irritates where the fingernail meets the skin. For me, the glove seems like it was in storage and the fingers in question were bent a lil sideways causing the fingers to be misaligned and my hand to not fit right because the other glove fits perfect. What I am doing is everyday just toying with the glove and bending the fingers back into place. If your problem is caused by that, your finger in question may be irregular than that of your other hand and you might need to use one of the fixes listed above.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Wrap the finger with a little hockey tape before you skate, problem solved.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:43 PM
macgyverthatshiz

see if you can get in there with some scissors or an exacto knife and trim the area that is causing pain

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
HowToHockey

This happened to me with a pair I got from ebay, I just kept putting a piece of hockey tape around my finger, didn't try to fix the gloves though, I think your best bet would be to try what the aptly names "macgyverthatshiz" said. Get in with pair of scissors and see what you can do.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Axxion89

I tried the scissor method and its too hard to get them up the glove and into the finger and even harder to see! I agree with the tape method, I out tape over my knuckle and index finger and I feel no pain at all and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Hockeyfan68

Some things help ... do not know if you have ever done roofing but because you are always bending the toes of your boots you get blisters from chafing.

Vaseline remedies it in boots but I am not sure if that would be good for your shot grip in hockey though it would work.

Tape works ... and I have always just toughed it out until a callous forms there and you no longer get blisters if the chafing is minor.

If it is major use stretch cloth band-aids as they work even better than tape in my opinion since it has a small pad built in made to absorb fluids but it acts as a protective padding. Double band-aid it to make a complete circle around the finger so it stays on while sweating.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote