HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading down 1 spot

Old
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
I am hardly on this board the last couple of years, so I apologize to those who posted similar ideas in other threads. Didn't mean to steal ideas

Anyway, like I said this was a "if the Bruins really want Hall" type of a proposal. It seems as though our fellow Bruins fans would like to get Hall for nothing (and they may as I haven't a clue which way Tambo is leaning) and for Oilers to do this as some kind of a favour to someone.

As for Lucic... I chose him for two reasons:

1. Oilers are missing that type of a player (Storts is not it)
2. He is of Serbian heritage

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That is a ridiculous overpayment for the difference between Seguin and Hall. If Boston's doing that deal, they may as well add 1 more major asset and come away with both picks.

Look guys I understand about getting your hopes up, really I do, but if you think you're going to wind up with Milan Lucic without surrendering your pick altogether you have no idea just how loved he is in Boston. This will NOT happen.
Well this board (the Oilers board, to be exact) was flooded with Bruins fans the moment the draft lottery ended. We've got Bruins fans voting in our polls saying the Oilers will take Seguin number 1. So I'm not sure who is getting their hopes up.

The Oilers have the #1 pick. And the historical precedent is that they're not going to trade down. The consensus from the pro scouts (not unaffiliated scouting services who have nothing on the line) is Hall is #1. So Bruins fans should not get their hopes up either.

Wishful thinking exhibit 1:

Bruins fan: "Hall has been shockingly cold on the possibility of going to Edmonton".
Hall: "Edmonton is a team I would love to play for".

Last edited by taunting canadian: 04-14-2010 at 12:51 PM.
taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
T-Funk

b's fans are funny

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:15 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
these two players are supposedly close to the point scouts have had animated arguments at games over them, yet Oilers fans have the Bruins bending over and spreading for Hall. I want Seguin myself, and hope its true that atleast one of Scott Bradley or Jim Benning (Bruins hierarchy who have major input in the selection here) are as enthralled as it sounds. I'll be happy with either, but give me Seguin.

As for Lucic? get real kiddies....and as someone who sees a lot of Lucic, dream on. Been hurt, but still has Rick Tocchet written all over him- albeit with Clark Gillies-like production.

I will tell you though saw Eberle last week in Providence and he's going to be a player. Looks like the type who will find a spot, crease, and has great hands, vision, hockey sense of the charts. He is going to be one fun player- wish we had him with Krejci. Looks more like a stealth-like winger who before you know it, has the puck and your bleeping screwed. Did not see him carry the puck much, but he got open, got the puck and made plays. Quick and some dart in him; cuts fast, great balance. Was a bit skeptical but like alot

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
Because they need Hall much more than they need a versitile centre
Well that makes even more sense...so they would trade a top 6 LW thats already playing in the NHL for a LW that is just entering the league. Then throw in a first round pick on top of that as well.

Not that Florida was a model franchise when doing this, but this is what they got trading the #1 pick..

No. 1 (Florida to Columbus): Florida trades this pick to Columbus for first-round pick (No. 3 overall, Jay Bouwmeester) and option to switch first-round picks in 2003 on June 22, 2002.

The Florida Panthers trade the first pick (Marc-Andre Fleury) and 73rd pick (Daniel Carcillo) to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the third pick (Nathan Horton), the 55th pick (Stefan Meyer) and Mikael Samuelsson.

That being said, some of these proposals are beyond laughable. Its not going to happen when these two guys are so closely matched.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

There is no way Boston would move Lucic, as they view him as a core player for the long term future of the team. He's a prototypical Bruin, and they wouldn't even consider moving him. He can hit, can score a little (17 goals at 20 years old) and can drop the gloves. So to suggest they'd be willing to throw him in to essentially move up one slot is laughable. As for the people saying he's overrated, he is. It's just that he's got more value to the Bruins than he would to another team, because he's the type of guy the fans love and think of as Bruins type players. Plus he's only 21, and was hurt most of this season which really hurt his ability to perform, so I have no doubt he will earn his next contract over the life of it.

As for the people who think the Bruins would throw in their first, and Toronto's first (2nd overall) just to move up one spot, again this is a gross overpayment. I think the Bruins would be fine taking whichever player the Oilers didn't take and possibly trading their first this year and a second (or this year's first and next year's first since they still have TO's first next season) to move up into the top ten and grab another player they really like (rumored to be Gormley).

Last edited by LSCII: 04-14-2010 at 12:59 PM.
LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
ales83fan

The more I think about it, the more I'm excited about the draft. It's a big game of chicken - and Tambs need not flinch till the draft table. If the Bruins get the 1st Overall pick yesterday.....what do THEY trade it for? I'd say the price would be way higher than what they're offering us today. So if that's how much that pick is worth to them - lets make them pay boys. Personally I think they want hall. So whether we agree or not.....we should all put up the impression that Hall is our Saviour and we don't ever consider seguin - regardless of what you actually think. Everything is shaped by public opinion - and we as a group ARE that public opinion.

SO let's go Hall! It's going to result in a better return!

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Oilers4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
So with all the discussion surrounding Hall vs. Seguin, not only by fans but by media as well I am more and more liking the idea of trading down to #2.

You can't lose with either of these guys and if Bruins really want Hall, let them pay for him.

To Oilers:
Milan Lucic and 2nd overall (Tyler Seguin)

To Bruins:
#1 overall (Taylor Hall)

If they want him half as bad as their fans then they'd go for it.

In Lucic Oilers get a no BS type of player who isn't afraid of anyone and knows how to score as well.

I would be the happiest man alive if the Oilers could pull this off. The only questions is how badly do the Bruins want Hall?

They desperately need goal scoring and they already have 3 NHL centres in Savard, Bergeron, and Krecji. I know the Bruins fans want him, hopefully they can put the pressure on their GM to make this happen.

I guess this also means that I'll be cheering for Buffalo in the 1st round. Hopefully Boston gets shut out by Miller.

Oilers4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4Life2 View Post
I would be the happiest man alive if the Oilers could pull this off. The only questions is how badly do the Bruins want Hall?

They desperately need goal scoring and they already have 3 NHL centres in Savard, Bergeron, and Krecji. I know the Bruins fans want him, hopefully they can put the pressure on their GM to make this happen.

I guess this also means that I'll be cheering for Buffalo in the 1st round. Hopefully Boston gets shut out by Miller.
Kessel was a center in college before the Bruins drafted him and they had no issues moving him over to wing. Why wouldn't they consider doing the same for Sequin?

Old
04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
Because apparently the B's covet Hall a lot more than they do Seguin. And if the Oilers play this right, they have the Bruins worrying.
And maybe the Oilers covet Hall more than Seguin as well, so there may not be anything happening. Tambo is keeping his cards close to the vest, so we'll all just have to wait until draft day I guess.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Oilers4Life2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Kessel was a center in college before the Bruins drafted him and they had no issues moving him over to wing. Why wouldn't they consider doing the same for Sequin?

I'm not sure who Sequin is but if you're trying to refer to Seguin yeah the Bruins can even put him on defense if they wanted to.

Oilers4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
arnott4prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And maybe the Oilers covet Hall more than Seguin as well, so there may not be anything happening. Tambo is keeping his cards close to the vest, so we'll all just have to wait until draft day I guess.

with the first overall selection the oilers proudly pick....that guy sweeping the floors on the concourse

but seriously folks we are good no matter what

arnott4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Kessel doesn't use his linemates to the max, isn't responsible enough defensively, likes to shoot first, and couldn't win any faceoffs...

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
Kessel doesn't use his linemates to the max, isn't responsible enough defensively, likes to shoot first, and couldn't win any faceoffs...
And yet a guy who's never played a minute in the NHL does all this? Can you be sure? The Bruins will play Seguin at whatever spot fits their needs, and there is no reason to overpay to the level folks here are suggesting just to move up one slot for a player who they may rate slightly ahead of the other guy. Besides, having Seguin would be extra insurance should Savard not be able to come back from his concussion.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4Life2 View Post
I'm not sure who Sequin is but if you're trying to refer to Seguin yeah the Bruins can even put him on defense if they wanted to.
Yes, very clever. I misspelled a name. You got me, I made a typo, I feel shame now. Thanks for offering your amazing counterpoint to what I suggested though.

Point is, they don't have to use Seguin at center if they don't want. Or they could use him as insurance should Savard not return or struggle getting over his concussion. They could also flip Bergeron or Krejci in a trade to fill other holes. Either way, it's not like they don't have options and have to overpay to get Hall.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Yes, very clever. I misspelled a name. You got me, I made a typo, I feel shame now. Thanks for offering your amazing counterpoint to what I suggested though.

Point is, they don't have to use Seguin at center if they don't want. Or they could use him as insurance should Savard not return or struggle getting over his concussion. They could also flip Bergeron or Krejci in a trade to fill other holes. Either way, it's not like they don't have options and have to overpay to get Hall.
I agree, IF Chia and the scouts think they're close, they don't overpay. They're the only ones who know that. However, perhaps they think there's a huge differance between the two and Hall is exactly what they need? If that's the case, I'm sure the BB's will have already made inquiries of what it would take for the Oil to trade down. Maybe they don't like the answer and decide to play the chicken game. When it comes time for the Oilers to step to the podium and select, if Tambi hasn't changed his mind, perhaps the BB up the ante. What that would be, no one knows.
All I'm saying is no one knows what kind of deals are discussed and outright dismissing some of them without knowing what a GM's thoughts are around the overall health of an organization is no smarter than some of the deals being proposed.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:

I think the point is:

If the Bruins want to get Hall, whether they have to overpay or not is up to the Oilers. Edmonton is in no hurry to trade down.

If they don't care, then no problem. They can be happy with whatever they end up with.

Bruins fans, though, have come onto the Oilers board, voted in our polls saying Edmonton will draft Seguin (as if that'll somehow make a difference ), started threads asking what it'll take to move up, and in one case made up stuff about Hall being "malcontented" with Edmonton. There is at least a subset of Bruins fans who seem to be fairly desperate to get their hands on Hall. Presumably Boston management doesn't care quite so much as those folks, but if they do then they will have to pay to get what they want.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
I agree, IF Chia and the scouts think they're close, they don't overpay. They're the only ones who know that. However, perhaps they think there's a huge differance between the two and Hall is exactly what they need? If that's the case, I'm sure the BB's will have already made inquiries of what it would take for the Oil to trade down. Maybe they don't like the answer and decide to play the chicken game. When it comes time for the Oilers to step to the podium and select, if Tambi hasn't changed his mind, perhaps the BB up the ante. What that would be, no one knows.
All I'm saying is no one knows what kind of deals are discussed and outright dismissing some of them without knowing what a GM's thoughts are around the overall health of an organization is no smarter than some of the deals being proposed.
Exactly. Only Chia and Tambi know what's been discussed, if anything, and what it would take to move up or down. The only thing I will say is that if Tambi is willing to talk to Boston about moving down, that tells me they think the players are a near wash or they actually prefer Seguin to Hall and want to get their guy and grab a little extra something. Either way, I really can't see the Bruins overpaying to move up with a guy like Lucic. It just won't happen. The fan base would literally revolt if he were moved, regardless of who they chose.

Old
04-14-2010, 01:49 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
I think the point is:

If the Bruins want to get Hall, whether they have to overpay or not is up to the Oilers. Edmonton is in no hurry to trade down.

If they don't care, then no problem. They can be happy with whatever they end up with.

Bruins fans, though, have come onto the Oilers board, voted in our polls saying Edmonton will draft Seguin (as if that'll somehow make a difference ), started threads asking what it'll take to move up, and in one case made up stuff about Hall being "malcontented" with Edmonton. There is at least a subset of Bruins fans who seem to be fairly desperate to get their hands on Hall. Presumably Boston management doesn't care quite so much as those folks, but if they do then they will have to pay to get what they want.
There may be some who are desperate, but to agree with you, I don't think Chia is among them. I do get the feeling he prefers Hall, but not to the point of getting bent over. As for the B's fans voting in your poll and infiltrating your board, I can only say that if I were in Edmonton's shoes, I'd take Hall 99 times out of 100. I'd prefer you guys take Seguin, but I highly doubt that happens. I personally came over just to see what the buzz was on your end, and I can say without question it's been pretty interesting and enjoyable to get your feedback (insane Lucic trades aside).

Old
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Boris RS
1. Avs / 2. Bruins

Quote:
So with all the discussion surrounding Hall vs. Seguin, not only by fans but by media as well I am more and more liking the idea of trading down to #2.

You can't lose with either of these guys and if Bruins really want Hall, let them pay for him.

To Oilers:

To Bruins:
#1 overall (Taylor Hall)

In Lucic Oilers get a no BS type of player who isn't afraid of anyone and knows how to score as well.
Good .

Quote:
I am hardly on this board the last couple of years, so I apologize to those who posted similar ideas in other threads. Didn't mean to steal ideas

Anyway, like I said this was a "if the Bruins really want Hall" type of a proposal. It seems as though our fellow Bruins fans would like to get Hall for nothing (and they may as I haven't a clue which way Tambo is leaning) and for Oilers to do this as some kind of a favour to someone.

As for Lucic... I chose him for two reasons:

1. Oilers are missing that type of a player (Storts is not it)
2. He is of Serbian heritage
Why so serious ?

Boris RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

To Oilers:

To Bruins:
#1 overall (Taylor Hall)

SerbianEagle not known to let the beat......MMM DROP.

Sorry. I know why you'd want him. But he's not leaving Boston. Or at least, not in this deal. It takes way way overpayment for someone to pry him from here as he could be the most recognizable Bruin. The difference between Hall and Seguin does not equal even close to Milan Lucic.

Last edited by Cory Trevor: 04-14-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
beaverjc

That Lucic deal is laughable to be honest. No way does the Bruins part with him and never to move up one spot when they can get the same caliber player by standing pat. Its true the Bruins have depth at center but Bergeron is a RFA after next season and he can be moved to wing or Seguin can play wing. Lets not forget the Bruins have their own #1 pick at #17 and can tap a talented winger at that spot as well. Most everyone in Boston is assuming you guys are drafting Hall...and most Bruins fans would prefer Hall because it addresses our need the most - however there is no way the B's are overpaying to move up one spot when they can stand pat and get Seguin and then a winger at #17. If Edmonton likes Seguin better (which I doubt) they should make a swap with Boston and pick up an additional pick (3rd rounder or so). That way Edmonton gets the player they covet anyways and pick up a reasonable pick...this scenario only works if Edmonton prefers Seguin obviously. If the Oilers covet Hall more then a deal aint happening.

Last edited by beaverjc: 04-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Beerfish

A third would simply not be enough for the oilers. They should talk to the Bruins but any incentive would have to be top of the 2nd round minimum.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Richard Murray
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
A third would simply not be enough for the oilers. They should talk to the Bruins but any incentive would have to be top of the 2nd round minimum.
His point is if you guys are going to take Seguin anyways it makes sense...

Although I do this

2nd overall and Bos 2nd round pick for 1st overall and 4th round pick

Richard Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
That Lucic deal is laughable to be honest. No way does the Bruins part with him and never to move up one spot when they can get the same caliber player by standing pat. .

How would Bruin fans feel about the 2nd + wheeler for the first overall pick?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote