HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading down 1 spot

Old
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
beaverjc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Couldn't the Oilers just draft hall.and trade him to bos for the 2nd overall+? Then there would be no bluffing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly what they should do. But I think most Oiler fans are way overpricing what the Bruins would give up to do that. No way do the Bruins move Colbourne (last years #1 pick) or Lucic to move up one spot when they can stay put and get Seguin or Hall...there is not a huge talent difference to make Boston even think of doing such a trade. Maybe swapping a #2 pick or moving up slightly in a lower round but thats about it.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
no way they do it for third rounder but i mean boston is really strong down the center and they would kill to have hall so personally I know alot of people are loving hall but to be honest to get a mid first rounder and seguin is better then hall imo.
No! Best possible player. How many times do you think we're going to have the opportunity to draft a franchise player? 17th overall = might not ever see the NHL. You'd squander a franchise player for a raffle ticket? I'm glad most of you posters are not running this team. Hall will be an Oiler, book it.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Exactly what they should do. But I think most Oiler fans are way overpricing what the Bruins would give up to do that. No way do the Bruins move Colbourne (last years #1 pick) or Lucic to move up one spot when they can stay put and get Seguin or Hall...there is not a huge talent difference to make Boston even think of doing such a trade. Maybe swapping a #2 pick or moving up slightly in a lower round but thats about it.
There's some incentive for us. A late round pick to pass on Hall. W00t!!

Not even close to worth it. I want Hall. You guys can enjoy Seguin.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That is a ridiculous overpayment for the difference between Seguin and Hall. If Boston's doing that deal, they may as well add 1 more major asset and come away with both picks.

Look guys I understand about getting your hopes up, really I do, but if you think you're going to wind up with Milan Lucic without surrendering your pick altogether you have no idea just how loved he is in Boston. This will NOT happen.
Agreed... There is no point to trade Lucic up 1 spot, let alone when the players are so close... Boston is no desperate for Seguin or Hall... they can afford to choose either.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:29 AM
TaylorHallFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Agreed... There is no point to trade Lucic up 1 spot, let alone when the players are so close... Boston is no desperate for Seguin or Hall... they can afford to choose either.
Well, they obviously can't afford Hall, if you think you can move up without adding a significant piece to the equation. If BOS wants to be stingy they can afford Seguin, if they really want Hall they will need to pay to afford him.

TaylorHallFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
enviro61

Oiler fans are delusional if they think Boston should sweeten the pot by the amounts being mentioned in this thread. I'm not even a Boston fan and I'm from Edmonton.

Good chance they will get Hall by default anyway (Oil selecting Seguin) and everyone knows that.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
No Good Names Left

Quote:
I agree, even though I am an Oiler fan. What about Hemsky str8 up for the 2nd pick? Boston is in win now mode and I really don't think Hemsky will re-sign here in 2 years.
With Tambellini saying this is going to be a long process, I am not sure Hemsky is even in their plans in 3-4 years.

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:03 AM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Good Names Left View Post
I agree, even though I am an Oiler fan. What about Hemsky str8 up for the 2nd pick? Boston is in win now mode and I really don't think Hemsky will re-sign here in 2 years.
With Tambellini saying this is going to be a long process, I am not sure Hemsky is even in their plans in 3-4 years.
The Bruins would have interest in Hemsky due to the fact that he has 25+ goal potential and plays right wing but with the injury and the "upside" of Seguin and Hall being higher than Hemsky's I wouldnt think the Bruins would even consider that. Maybe trading the #17 pick for Hemsky would make more sense - certainly not the #2 overall.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Eirhead*

Quote:
The Bruins would have interest in Hemsky due to the fact that he has 25+ goal potential and plays right wing but with the injury and the "upside" of Seguin and Hall being higher than Hemsky's I wouldnt think the Bruins would even consider that. Maybe trading the #17 pick for Hemsky would make more sense - certainly not the #2 overall.
You'd give Hemsky away for a 17th overall? Gross. It would be a hard pill to swallow if Seguin came in unable to eat up top 6 minutes. But to give away a PPG player for a prospect that might never ever crack the NHL is just stupid.

Old
04-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Then it's not happening. No way Boston would go nearly that high.
It's not called an "overpayment" for nothing. I didn't think mine was too bad actually.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:00 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Oiler fans are delusional if they think Boston should sweeten the pot by the amounts being mentioned in this thread. I'm not even a Boston fan and I'm from Edmonton.

Good chance they will get Hall by default anyway (Oil selecting Seguin) and everyone knows that.
"Everyone knows" that Edmonton is taking Seguin, except for Tambellini, who has stated that he's taking the best player available and will wait/get all input from his scouts before making his decision. Certainly won't be deciding before Hall finishes playing this year.

Once again, the historical precedent with trading down from #1 is that it usually doesn't happen, and once again, I don't think that's because teams couldn't find someone who was willing to part with a 3rd round pick. The reason why it doesn't happen is because teams with the #1 pick set the value high ("delusionally" high, perhaps) and keep the pick if no one offers them something worthwhile.

If the Bruins don't offer something worthwhile (or don't want to, or don't care) then Edmonton will keep the pick. There's no "Boston should sweeten the pot" - all it comes down to is if Boston will sweeten the pot. If they don't, so be it - there is no compelling need to trade down.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
b's fans are funny
and Oiler fans, just plain goofy

Bobs your uncle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 12:58 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Exactly. I don't think the Bruins are against moving a pick or lower prospect (Hamill?) to Edmonton to ensure they can get Hall, but not by the amounts the posters here are suggesting. While it may happen, it would certainly not be Lucic or 2 firsts to move up one slot. I'd think Chia would rather play a game of chicken with Tambi and see if they get lucky with this draft again (like how they got lucky with getting a top two pick to start with) and land Hall without giving up anything.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
"Everyone knows" that Edmonton is taking Seguin, except for Tambellini, who has stated that he's taking the best player available and will wait/get all input from his scouts before making his decision. Certainly won't be deciding before Hall finishes playing this year.

Once again, the historical precedent with trading down from #1 is that it usually doesn't happen, and once again, I don't think that's because teams couldn't find someone who was willing to part with a 3rd round pick. The reason why it doesn't happen is because teams with the #1 pick set the value high ("delusionally" high, perhaps) and keep the pick if no one offers them something worthwhile.

If the Bruins don't offer something worthwhile (or don't want to, or don't care) then Edmonton will keep the pick. There's no "Boston should sweeten the pot" - all it comes down to is if Boston will sweeten the pot. If they don't, so be it - there is no compelling need to trade down.
Did you expect Tambi to come out and say player x is who we're taking? That would limit his options tremendously. Of course he's going to say they're going to explore everyone and take the best available player. It's GM speak and nothing more. I'd imagine that they're going to rate the players themselves, and I would assume that team needs would factor into that equation somewhere. Whether it's enough to sway Tambi to go with Seguin over Hall remains to be seen.

Old
04-15-2010, 01:36 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Did you expect Tambi to come out and say player x is who we're taking? That would limit his options tremendously. Of course he's going to say they're going to explore everyone and take the best available player. It's GM speak and nothing more. I'd imagine that they're going to rate the players themselves, and I would assume that team needs would factor into that equation somewhere. Whether it's enough to sway Tambi to go with Seguin over Hall remains to be seen.
While it may be GM speak, it is certainly not the case that "everyone knows" Edmonton is taking Seguin. Any Bruins fan who thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Edmonton will take Seguin is engaging in every bit as much wishful thinking as Oilers fans hoping to get Lucic.

And I do believe the BPA really does factor into GMs thinking, because GMs, as opposed to messageboard posters, have to think longer-term and bigger-picture. Tambellini knows that Seguin isn't some magic pill that will fix all the Oilers problems. It's going to take multiple players to turn the team around, and yes a #1 center is probably part of that, but if he believes Hall is a better player and also fills one of the Oilers multiple needs, then he'll likely take him and wait for a different opportunity to fill the C need.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:06 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
While it may be GM speak, it is certainly not the case that "everyone knows" Edmonton is taking Seguin. Any Bruins fan who thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Edmonton will take Seguin is engaging in every bit as much wishful thinking as Oilers fans hoping to get Lucic.

And I do believe the BPA really does factor into GMs thinking, because GMs, as opposed to messageboard posters, have to think longer-term and bigger-picture. Tambellini knows that Seguin isn't some magic pill that will fix all the Oilers problems. It's going to take multiple players to turn the team around, and yes a #1 center is probably part of that, but if he believes Hall is a better player and also fills one of the Oilers multiple needs, then he'll likely take him and wait for a different opportunity to fill the C need.
I fully agree with this. I doubt anything is a foregone conclusion and I think the Bruins will happily take which ever player the Oilers don't. Who that will be is anyone's guess. Right now, only Tambellini knows who the Oil is leaning towards, and he's smart enough to not broadcast that.

Old
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:

Well said.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

That's perfectly fine, Boston can tell the Oilers to get stuffed if they like but a lot of people are assuming the Oilers are taking Seguin. Zero evidence to support either way who they are taking. If Boston is fine with taking that bit of a chance no problem. If the Oilers take Hall and Boston knows they could have taken the player they really want at the cost of 2nd round pick or so they will have regret.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
petrobruin

Just curious because my memory isn't what it use to be . When was the last time Edmonton had a first line Centre?I am not being a troll just curious if it was Mark Messier or someone else?

I know you need a scoring winger but do you also need a centreman?

Peter

petrobruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 02:49 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrobruin View Post
Just curious because my memory isn't what it use to be . When was the last time Edmonton had a first line Centre?I am not being a troll just curious if it was Mark Messier or someone else?

I know you need a scoring winger but do you also need a centreman?

Peter
Doug Weight.

We need BPA, not to draft by position. And some of us are still high on Gagner as a possible future number 1 C

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
petrobruin

Its Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Doug Weight.

We need BPA, not to draft by position. And some of us are still high on Gagner as a possible future number 1 C
I forgot Ganger, i am from London and when Gagner was in London with Kane i said that i would rather have Gagner than Kane.

Gangner was easily the smartest guy on the ice when he played for the Knights.I thought Kane benifitted more from Gagner than the other way around.

He still may blossom he definately has the smarts.

Petr

Old
04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Eirhead*

Maybe Gagner just needs a speedy winger playing with him again

Old
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
petrobruin

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirhead View Post
Maybe Gagner just needs a speedy winger playing with him again
I hope for Gagner sake your right,That would be great for the Oilers

Does Gagner have a new contract yet or is he on an ELC still?

If you guys could sign him cheap this summer than he and Hall explode together would be best case scenerio , if he has 1 more year it would be alot tougher to keep the price down if they work well together.

Petr

Old
04-15-2010, 03:17 PM
cbear42

I dont know, if they are really that close then wouldnt we want to get the Top line Centre that everyone is clamouring for?

Or is Hall that dynamic of a force off the wing?

I dont pretend to know much about Prospects and their upsides...

cbear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
petrobruin

Me Neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear42 View Post
I dont know, if they are really that close then wouldnt we want to get the Top line Centre that everyone is clamouring for?

Or is Hall that dynamic of a force off the wing?

I dont pretend to know much about Prospects and their upsides...
What i do know is that Boston has a lot of centre prospects and players and we need a winger.

Maybe they are good trading partners.Maybe Seguin can play wing and it wont matter?

Petr