HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Qualifying offers?

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Jani8

vCash: 500
Qualifying offers?

Of "your" teams Group II FA's, who do you think will not get an qualifying offer?

Old
05-06-2004, 12:55 PM
stungun

Boston Bruins will qualify Sergei Gonchar, Andrew Raycroft, Sergei Samsonov, Joe Thornton. They wont quailify Michal Grosek and Craig MacDonald. 2 of the following defensemen depending on Girards recovery progress (which has been very good) Jonathan Girard, Hal Gill, Andy Delmore, Zdenek Kutlak. I think they say goodbye to Ivan Huml.

Old
05-06-2004, 01:23 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
everyone will be qualified. im pretty sure. if boulton's contract is out, maybe him.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:03 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
everyone will be qualified. im pretty sure. if boulton's contract is out, maybe him.
Boulton is under contract.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:14 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Radek Bonk would not be qualified at $3.5 million.

I think qualifying Patrick Lalime at $2.5 million is debatable.

I don't know if Vaclav Varada would be qualified at around $1,650,000 even though the Senators need that type of player. We'll see I guess.

I think the rest of the Group II RFA's (Phillips, Chara, Havlat, Schaefer, Prusek and Pothier) will be qualified - no brainers in fact.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:35 PM
senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9

I don't know if Vaclav Varada would be qualified at around $1,650,000 even though the Senators need that type of player. We'll see I guess.

I think the rest of the Group II RFA's (Phillips, Chara, Havlat, Schaefer, Prusek and Pothier) will be qualified - no brainers in fact.
I can't see the Sens not qualifying Bonk, Lalime, or Varada. All three have enough value on the trade market to make it a mistake to let them walk. In any case, I think both Bonk and Lalime will be moved at the draft - so the Sens won't have to make the choice anyways.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Ottawa will qualify Varada. If they don't, that's a big mistake.

Devils will not qualify Friesen, and probably not Kozlov but that's not as sure. Everyone else who's a type II will be qualified.

Old
05-06-2004, 02:53 PM
CREW99AW

Isles probably won't qualify Steve Webb.

Cairns has chance to opt for unrestricted free agency and is expected to be gone.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Boomhower

Name / Approx. Cash to Qualify / My opinion

Mathieu Dandenault / $1.6M / With Kronwall expected to step in and Woolley under contract next year this isn't a no brainer, but his speed and versatility should be enough for DET to qualify him.

Boyd Devereaux / $1.75M / Things haven't worked in Detroit for Boyd, I'm expecting him to become a UFA.

Jiri Fischer / $1.3M / he'll be qualified.

Mark Mowers / $0.5M / I don't think he'll be brought back, they'll favor younger depth players next season.

Jamie Rivers / $0.475M / He's in the same boat as Mowers, but the Wings system is void of defenseman, so they may have to bring him back. Yes IMO.

Jason Williams / $0.475M / Qualified, no doubt.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9

I would be amazed if Ottawa didn't qualify all of the above.

Not qualifying means the player becomes a UFA. No decent team is going to let players walk for nothing unless they are ridiculously overpaid.

Ottawa may want to deal Bonk, Lalime etc.

But they won't let them just walk. In a league that features such a high degree of parity you don't just let good players walk for nothing. There's no guarentee that you can replace them.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:46 PM

I don't expect the following to get an qualifying offer from the Phoenix Coyotes:

Zac Bierk
Brian Boucher
Tom Koivisto
Andrei Nazarov
Ivan Novoseltsev
Mike Wilson

Dark horse picks not to get qualified include:

Krystoffer Kolanos

Old
05-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Jason Allison, (II) 2 way deal probably.
Sean Avery, (II) Yeah, he'll get resigned.
Eric Belanger, (II) Same boat as Avery.
Anson Carter, (II) Don't really think so.
Brad Chartrand, (II) Dime a dozen forward, I like the guy, but if he's resigned he's definately Manchester bound.
Mathieu Chouinard, (II) Manchester if he's resigned.
Joe Corvo, (II) Yeah, our 5-6 d-man or an AHL standout.
Jeff Cowan, (II) Did great playing with Avery, I definately think he'll be back.
Adam Deadmarsh, (II) Just retire Deader.
Nathan Dempsey, (II) Los Angeles May 6, 04
Ryan Flinn, (II) Our Enforcer of the future.
Jason Holland, (II) Good depth call up, I can see him coming back.
Christobal Huet, (II) Yeah our goalie depth blows ass, he'll be back.
Steve Kelly, (II) Mannheim, GER March 28, 04
Maxim Kuznetsov, (II) Bye bye Maxim.
Ian Laperriere, (II) Fan favorite, he's a keeper.
Esa Pirnes, (II) Los Angeles April 27, 04
Joe Rullier, (II) Rullier is a goner.
Lubomir Visnovsky, (II) Our best d-man for most of the season.

Old
05-06-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Adam Deadmarsh, (II) Just retire Deader.
I believe I read sometime this week that Deadmarsh had announced his retirement or has a press meeting scheduled to do so.

Old
05-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I believe I read sometime this week that Deadmarsh had announced his retirement or has a press meeting scheduled to do so.
From what was reported in the L.A. Times, if he didn't feel better by September, then he'd retire. As far as I know, he hasn't done it yet, but man after this long if you don't feel better, retire dude.

Old
05-07-2004, 08:16 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
I would be amazed if Ottawa didn't qualify all of the above.

Not qualifying means the player becomes a UFA. No decent team is going to let players walk for nothing unless they are ridiculously overpaid.

Ottawa may want to deal Bonk, Lalime etc.

But they won't let them just walk. In a league that features such a high degree of parity you don't just let good players walk for nothing. There's no guarentee that you can replace them.
I think that with the new CBA coming teams will want to have as much financial flexibility as they possibly can in case a salary cap comes to fruition. The Senators have some financial issues with Alfie signed to a 5 year $32M deal, deVries signed for 3 more years at $9M total, Redden for 2 more years at $9.6M, Smolinski for 3 more years etc...and with Spezza, Hossa and Havlat requiring new deals in the next year or so.

IMO more and more teams will let players go for nothing to rid themselves of overpaid players. I think we're being naive if we believe that Bonk would be qualified at $3.5 million. Why not let Bonk and his $3.5M walk away if you can sign a UFA of comparable value for $2 million? Do you really think Bonk is tradeable at $3.5 million? I suspect he is not but I hope I'm wrong.

The old days of preserving overpaid assets are done IMO (see Kariya last year) and I suspect there will be some surprising decisions made this summer.

When you don't qualify a player you are not getting nothing in return - you are getting budget room to sign another player.

Old
05-07-2004, 08:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by senate
I can't see the Sens not qualifying Bonk, Lalime, or Varada. All three have enough value on the trade market to make it a mistake to let them walk. In any case, I think both Bonk and Lalime will be moved at the draft - so the Sens won't have to make the choice anyways.
I think the combination of a 12 goal season, a $3.5m qualifying requirement, and the payroll restrictions expected in the new cba will make Bonk impossible to trade as an RFA. nobody will want Bonk unless they can pay him between $1.8m and $2.2m.

With the glut of young and as yet untarnished goalies on the market it appears to me that Lalime is also untradeable except to a team that is desperate and has little expectation of playoff success in the near term. Even Chicago has Thibault. I don't see anyone in the market for Lalime unless its for backup money. In the new cba, backup money will be league minimum.

why would anyone trade anything for either of those guys? i agree they will not be qualified.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:44 AM
charliemurphy

What is Speeza's value in terms of a trade/picks?

Old
05-07-2004, 12:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
What is Speeza's value in terms of a trade/picks?

Henestly dude, don't even ask. To say the Sens fans overestimate his value him is an understatement.

Good player, I'd love him on the Oilers but I don't see franchise in him and Sens fans do.

They want everything under the sun for him.

See the Ovechkin for Spezza poll for some kind of idea

Old
05-07-2004, 12:33 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I don't expect the following to get an qualifying offer from the Phoenix Coyotes:

Zac Bierk
Brian Boucher
Tom Koivisto
Andrei Nazarov
Ivan Novoseltsev
Mike Wilson

Dark horse picks not to get qualified include:

Krystoffer Kolanos
any idea on a starting goalie for next year? maybe felix potvin splitting time w/boucher or brent johnson?

Old
05-07-2004, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
any idea on a starting goalie for next year? maybe felix potvin splitting time w/boucher or brent johnson?
Word is Bierk might re-hookup with Tampa Bay, the team that drafted him.

Boucher could still be left in the mix, I think they would just try to talk him down on a contract. He's making $2.5 million right now, which is high for what he brings to the table. There was a reason Brent Johnson was acquired, and I think he could possibly push Boucher out of the top spot with a few starts. Johnson was likely acquired to replace Bierk on the depth charts however, so if Boucher is gone there is a chance the team would sign a cheap free agent or go with JM Pelletier as the backup (very likely). I doubt Potvin, Salo, Dafoe, etc will end up in the desert.

I'm not even 100% that Boucher is a free agent this summer, if I remember correctly he signed an extension in 2002, but that site says otherwise.

Closed Thread