HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garon's value

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 06:03 PM
H3ro

vCash: 500
Garon's value?

Just wondering what is the current value of Mathieu Garon around the league? I don't think Bob Gainey will trade him soon, but if Garon ask him he wanted to be trade, he deserve to.

So, is Garon worthing a 9th round pick in 2007 or the first round pick in this year draft?(Sure, these examples aren't serious.)

Last edited by H3ro: 05-04-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old
05-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3ro
Just wondering what is the current value of Mathieu Garon around the league? I don't think Bob Gainey will trade him soon, but if Garon ask him he wanted to be trade, he deserve to.

So, is Garon worthing a 9th round pick in 2007 or the first round pick in this year draft?(Sure, these examples aren't serious.)
I still think a 2nd round pick + medium prospect is the best he'll fetch on the trade market. He might be worth more to Habs fans but that is the going rate for a backup goaltender that has not yet proven he is capable of being a number one goalie. The Habs will probably be looking for more (he is better than Theodore isn't he? ) so he's unlikely to get moved any time soon..

Old
05-05-2004, 04:24 PM
membleypeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I still think a 2nd round pick + medium prospect is the best he'll fetch on the trade market. He might be worth more to Habs fans but that is the going rate for a backup goaltender that has not yet proven he is capable of being a number one goalie. The Habs will probably be looking for more (he is better than Theodore isn't he? ) so he's unlikely to get moved any time soon..
Garon has upped his value with some quality backup play since he was placed on waivers by Montreal. Still the market for goaltenders is saturated, and backups are easy to replace with prospects. I would suspect that Garon would net the Habs a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:29 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't think that Garon will bring much value back.

I think he has definitely improved his own asset value since being placed on waivers, but as mentioned the market isn't there for a young backup who *has* to pass through waivers to be sent down.

Not many teams interested in backups... and not many will gamble with him as a starter yet... so you'd have to find a team that needs a backup goalie - and there aren't many out there.

Out of the ones that might be, why would they give up anything substantial for Garon at this piont, when they could get a decent backup for a lot less (or free as a free agent), and use their assets for other things?

Garon's value - like most young players - is affected by his wavier status... any team picking him up would have to give up assets to use him as part of their 23 man roster, and in the process could lose another goalie in the system... given the market - I'd say not much value...

I'd guess you could probably find a team that'd risk a 3rd round pick for him... not more much IMO.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by membleypeg
Garon has upped his value with some quality backup play since he was placed on waivers by Montreal. Still the market for goaltenders is saturated, and backups are easy to replace with prospects. I would suspect that Garon would net the Habs a 5th or 6th round draft pick.
I think that LA, St. Louis, Toronto, Vancouver??, and maybe Carolina - but not likely would give you something decent (3rd draft pick or maybe even a 2nd). But there will be alot of backups on the market this year and it depend on the teams situation.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
I think that LA, St. Louis, Toronto, Vancouver??, and maybe Carolina - but not likely would give you something decent (3rd draft pick or maybe even a 2nd). But there will be alot of backups on the market this year and it depend on the teams situation.
I can't see LA, Toronto or Vancouver being interested... Vancouver has Auld as their backup for next season - and he's not a starter at this point, so why bring in two young backups?

Toronto I think will finally bring in Tellqvist to back up fulltime next year... he's at the right age and development level.

LA has Heut... and like Auld he ain't a starter you want to run with... I could see them dropping Cechmanek, given his inconsistency this year, but they - like Vancouver - will need a more established starter to lead them.

St. Louis I'm not sure about... they have so many goalies in their system, but most just don't work out... still Sanford and Divis are still there, so one of those guys might be backing up next year (and Osgood is a UFA)... maybe some one who has followed the Blues more could give more info on their goaltending situation.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Just depends if you believe the hype about Garon. He has performed very well in the back-up role over the last couple of years. If a small market team is in need of a #1, they could potentially try and acquire Garon much like CAL got Kipprusof this year. Kipper got traded for a second, which is probably a pretty good indication of what Garon would go for right now.

MON's just in a tough spot because MG is so close to JT age wise. I just don't see Garon getting a chance at being the #1, so he'll likely be moved here in the next year or two if another team thinks that Garon could be their starter.

Old
05-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I can't see LA, Toronto or Vancouver being interested... Vancouver has Auld as their backup for next season - and he's not a starter at this point, so why bring in two young backups?

Toronto I think will finally bring in Tellqvist to back up fulltime next year... he's at the right age and development level.

LA has Heut... and like Auld he ain't a starter you want to run with... I could see them dropping Cechmanek, given his inconsistency this year, but they - like Vancouver - will need a more established starter to lead them.

St. Louis I'm not sure about... they have so many goalies in their system, but most just don't work out... still Sanford and Divis are still there, so one of those guys might be backing up next year (and Osgood is a UFA)... maybe some one who has followed the Blues more could give more info on their goaltending situation.
I wasn't interested in him as a backup, but more of a starter. I believe that Belfour is a UFA, Checkmanech and Osgood are also FAs. So a team could let them walk and go after Garon as a starter to stop gap them as the kids get ready to play in the NHL. (Eveyone has to have their 1st game as a starter at some point, and he is younger the Gerber).

As for St. Louis, Divis will be let go and not resigned. Sanford will be a backup next year, but is not ready to be a starter in the NHL. Most fans really liked Osgood this year, he is consistent (something we haven't had in a while). But at 3.3 mill, I am not sure they resign him.

Old
05-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
MON's just in a tough spot because MG is so close to JT age wise. I just don't see Garon getting a chance at being the #1, so he'll likely be moved here in the next year or two if another team thinks that Garon could be their starter.
Or, best case scenario for the Habs, he's given about 30 games next year to play against good teams to see if he can handle it. If he can, that could mean the end of Theodore who's contract is up after next year. Although Theodore is a good goalie, he's not worth the money he's making.

Whoever saw Garon play all his games last year knows why Habs fans don't want to trade him. He's much bigger than Theodore and has faster legs and reflexes. He plays a Luongo type of game. Very athletic and even though rebound control and lateral movement aren't his biggest strength, he improved that aspect tremendously during last season. Garon has the size, stamina and skills of an elite #1. All that remains to be seen is if he can handle it mentally as well.

Old
05-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Or, best case scenario for the Habs, he's given about 30 games next year to play against good teams to see if he can handle it. If he can, that could mean the end of Theodore who's contract is up after next year. Although Theodore is a good goalie, he's not worth the money he's making.

Whoever saw Garon play all his games last year knows why Habs fans don't want to trade him. He's much bigger than Theodore and has faster legs and reflexes. He plays a Luongo type of game. Very athletic and even though rebound control and lateral movement aren't his biggest strength, he improved that aspect tremendously during last season. Garon has the size, stamina and skills of an elite #1. All that remains to be seen is if he can handle it mentally as well.
I happen to agree with you regarding Garon's abilities, it's really just a matter of giving him the opportunity. I would of thought that JT's reputation would make that difficult to do, because you have to know that he's not going to be pleased only playing 40-50 games next year (if the schedule is reduced to 72 games).

I didn't really consider the money aspect, or the possibility of trading JT (which I thought would be a PR nightmare).

Old
05-06-2004, 11:54 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Columbus will be in the market for a backup, but I doubt they'll be willing to give up anything of substance for Garon. Rather, I think they'll dip into free agency for a guy like Hedberg.

Old
05-06-2004, 03:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Or has faster legs and reflexes. .
I strongly desagree here, you possibly did'nt see enough from Garon...

Old
05-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Master Lok

If Montreal really believed in Garon, then your best bet is to trade Theodore since he would have an immensely higher trade value and then put Garon as starter.

Old
05-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
If Montreal really believed in Garon, then your best bet is to trade Theodore since he would have an immensely higher trade value and then put Garon as starter.
you read my mind !!

so let's turn this thread into Theodore's value !

Old
05-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
I strongly desagree here, you possibly did'nt see enough from Garon...
I saw every single game Garon played last year and the year before, and I do stand by my evaluation of his strengths and weaknesses. Theodore has better rebound control and lateral movement (one of the quickess in the game) but Garon's got much better reflexes and athletic abilities, on which he relies heavily to compensate for his lack of rebound control. Saku Koivu last year said Garon's legs were some of the quickess he ever saw in the game. He relies on instincts much more than Theodore who's a very technical goalie that has to stay in perfect position at all time given his small frame. Garon can cheat a bit out of position and compensate with his big frame and quick leg movements to make the stops.

Last edited by Munchausen: 05-07-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old
05-06-2004, 05:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I saw every single game Garon played next year and the year before, and I do stand by my evaluation of his strengths and weaknesses. Theodore has better rebound control and lateral movement (one of the quickess in the game) but Garon's got much better reflexes and athletic abilities, on which he relies heavily to compensate for his lack of rebound control. Saku Koivu last year said Garon's legs were some of the quickess he ever saw in the game. He relies on instincts much more than Theodore who's a very technical goalie that has to stay in perfect position at all time given his small frame. Garon can cheat a bit out of position and compensate with his big frame and quick leg movements to make the stops.
It makes sense... Agree about his great athletic abilities, big frame but not necessarily about better reflex.. To me both Théo and Nabokov have top notch reflex aptitude and I don'T think Garon is at the same level in this area..

Old
05-06-2004, 05:27 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
I would'nt trade Garon for a draft pick. He's more useful to us than a draft pick. Where are you going to get a backup this good and talented?

Old
05-07-2004, 03:01 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
I would'nt trade Garon for a draft pick. He's more useful to us than a draft pick. Where are you going to get a backup this good and talented?
Totaly agree.

And Munchausen nailed it too.

Theodore is currently getting paid as the 6th best goaltender in the league and just hasn't proven to be that good ever since he signed that big fat contract. Meanwhile since he was brought up back in 02-03 Garon has done just as well at a fraction of the price. The situation is a difficult one since Theodore will be a RFA after next season and we'll have to qualify him at 6.6 M if we want to keep him.

The problem is we can't trade Garon without knowing what he's made of. And to know what he's made of we have to play him. Some difficult decisions will have to be taken sometime between now and next summer. Hopefully Bettman and Goodenow will agree to a deal before October and the reduced schedule won't be implemented until 05-06 because right now I doubt it's clear in Gainey's mind who's the guy we want to go with in the future. 82 games + playoffs with Garon playing about 30-35 games would make up for a much clearer picture.

Closed Thread