HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sharpening. What's right?

Old
04-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Sharpening. What's right?

How do you know what's right for you?

When I bought my skates, I was at a standard 1'2"

But, I knew nothing about skating and since I've logged about 7-8 hours and my skating feels better each time. Last session, I could feel more give than I wanted towards the end and I didn't know if it was choppy ice or my skates (just my right skate). I stride fine. Stop one side okay. Can't on the other still. So part of me want to dull my skates further to see if that'll help (feels really choppy stopping left foot first, fine, right foot first).

Advice?

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 08:47 AM
noobman

Your skates are fine.

Everyone has a strong side and a weak side for skating. Just take it slow and keep practicing. You'll eventually get it.

Also remember that duller blades will make stopping on your weak side a little easier, but will make turning harder.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well you don't want to dull the skates, but you could try a shallower hollow...try going up to 5/8" and see how that works for you.

If by "choppy" you mean the skates are chattering when stopping (kind of like hitting the brakes on a car with ABS in the snow), that could certainly mean the skates are too sharp/deep.

And the ice does get softer in the summer, which I'd imagine is even worse in the humid air where you live.

But the key is, whatever the sharpening, make sure it improves your all around skating. Don't want to get better on one side and worse on the other, or lose edges in turns.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:21 AM
MJAYK

The sharper the better, for me atleast.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:21 AM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
How do you know what's right for you?

When I bought my skates, I was at a standard 1'2"

But, I knew nothing about skating and since I've logged about 7-8 hours and my skating feels better each time. Last session, I could feel more give than I wanted towards the end and I didn't know if it was choppy ice or my skates (just my right skate). I stride fine. Stop one side okay. Can't on the other still. So part of me want to dull my skates further to see if that'll help (feels really choppy stopping left foot first, fine, right foot first).

Advice?
From the way I understand it, one foot is "chattering" while you skate, no? This could be a bad sharpening or a dull blade, or it could be that one leg is weaker than the other. Everyone has a weak foot in skating, and it takes time to close the gap between the abilities of both feet.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote