HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WCQF | GAME 1 | San Jose Sharks vs Colorado Avalanche

Old
04-15-2010, 03:59 AM
sjsharklover

vCash: 500
[
Quote:
QUOTE=sjsharklover;25182458]I can't believe the Sharks don't have the pride to say, "fawk I'm tired of not playing to my ability and being the chumps of the league." QUOTE]
When this is said and only when this is said will the Sharks finally turn it around

Until they care that they look bad, they will lose .. You can put money on it[/QUOTE]

sjsharklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:00 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
I can't believe the Sharks don't have the pride to say, "fawk I'm tired of not playing to my ability and being the chumps of the league." QUOTE]

When this is said and only when this is said will the Sharks finally turn it around

Until they care that they look bad, they will lose .. You can put money on it
I think that pile of cash they sleep on helps them forget about losing.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Trojan35

I still believe that top line needs to be exploded, and Blake is a liability even Vlasic can't fix.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
I was at the game as well and what I noticed 1st was the crowd was treating it like a regular season game..The 1st couple of minutes you felt the energy and after our goal you could feel it...other than that it was really quiet all around me...I think giving out towels is a bad idea because when people wave them they make no noise....couldnt we give out something that made a louder noise......I was really disappointed in the crowd during the game ...the only time they got really into it is when they showed this guy dancing on the jumbo tron......Come on San Jose its the Playoffs this happens once a year and Friday could be the last home game if we get swept....I was watching the Pittsburgh game before I left for the tank and their fans were crazy loud.....ours were embarrasing tonight....I dont think the fans care its the playoffs....on that note I dont think the players care either...
On this subject. The Sharks gave NOTHING to cheer about. I was at the game and it's hard to cheer when your team gets 3 shots in a period. At times it was loud like you said. We know it's playoff time but the Sharks have really let us fans down in the playoffs the last 4 years. They'll get cheered if they play good and it'll be quiet in a 1-0 game with little momentum. Pittsburgh has their cup and it was a much different game than this was. If we saw a 4-5 game here it would have a been a little different.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Tealblood

I thought we got rid of semenov. Instead we gave the canadian semenov the captainship...

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:32 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Not time to push the panic button, yet.

If you lose a game because of a bad bounce, fine. We know it happens.

What I absolutely hate about this team as a fan was the lack of urgency to win this game. We wait a year after losing the 1st round to see what the Sharks come up with and this is what and how they wanted to come out of the gate? I know we're all enjoying the pessimist avatars and expectations of this team, but seriously this team needs to get their ass in gear now.

As we all can see, clearly the "gameplan" wasn't going to win this game in regulation. Is anyone else completely dumbfounded that the coaches and players just passively forfeit an entire 20 minutes of regulation and instead opt to make the adjustments the next period instead of immediately addressing it? Seriously?

Anyone else tired of seeing this team pound their head on a brick wall for 20 minutes? We've seen this happen several times all season long and I don't even know why I bother to keep watching. I should just go clean my car out or something instead then come back when they finally pull their head out of their ass.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:40 AM
OneTooth

What do teams try to do in the playoffs? Eliminate the opposition's time and space. What do the Sharks do? The exact opposite by playing a soft, collapsing D scheme giving the opposition the boards, tons of shots on goal and a ton of time in their zone.

I've said it all season long, it's the coaching staff that's killing this team. The Sharks have the players that can win it all. Last year and this year. Being outshot by an injured, legitimate 8th seed with a lousy D is very telling.

OneTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
If you lose a game because of a bad bounce, fine. We know it happens.
I understand this concept but we, as a team, allowed it to happen.

Colorado would have gladly taken being level with 5 minutes left - it becomes overtime and then the game of chance kicks in. This time it went their way - the truth is, we shouldn't be allowing this to happen.

I know it's only Game 1 and much can turn in the span of the next 60 minutes but I can't help but believe the next game is possibly the singularly most important game in Sharks history:

Lose it, and the facts are simple - you need to win 4 of the next 6 including 3 on the road. It would be a long shot with the Avs holding the momentum. Win, and all is forgiven and it just becomes best of 5. The consequences for this entire franchise are grim if we go out early again...

I didn't see any passion, many finished checks, many tustles and aggression tonight from the vast majority of the team. If that happens again, we're toast. Come on Sharks - you don't HAVE to be the most skilled team in the league to show some heart - don't fail again.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 06:40 AM
DRISB19

coming from a wings fan, f#$% the avs! i hope todd and the boys beat those punks! hated the avs since 1996! its ok, ever team that was favored to win last night lost including my wings! so hears best of luck to shark nation, its a best of 7 series!

DRISB19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:04 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I didn't see any passion, many finished checks, many tustles and aggression tonight from the vast majority of the team. If that happens again, we're toast. Come on Sharks - you don't HAVE to be the most skilled team in the league to show some heart - don't fail again.
So so true and, the Canadian coverage of the game we can say are in agreement with you also if you heard them last night. They kept stating, as well as we whom watched also saw, that the players whom actually showed some drive, up front, were Joe, Seto, Mitchell and Clowe. The rest simply didn't show up.

Patty and Pav's are still in Anaheim mode and, Heater, was still in team Canada mode (lots of passes / set ups via Joe and then Heater would shoot wide--I think he is hoping and awaiting the time when they increase the size of the nets).

Last edited by 19sharks19: 04-15-2010 at 09:14 AM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
And to think the Detroit/Phoenix game was so much more exciting. UGH.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:20 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
And to think the Detroit/Phoenix game was so much more exciting. UGH.
And even when they lose, Detroit still looks awesome. You can see the difference if game prep and planning between T.M. and M.B. And as well, how M.B. makes necessary changes as a game goes on. Look at T.M. last night; Patty looked like he had a headache or something and really didn't feel like being there so, T.M. just leaves him on the line with Joe and Heater and, he just kills any flow or momentum the other two build or have. It was more than apparent that Patty would have a terrible game right from the onset.

Old
04-15-2010, 09:32 AM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I understand this concept but we, as a team, allowed it to happen.

Colorado would have gladly taken being level with 5 minutes left - it becomes overtime and then the game of chance kicks in. This time it went their way - the truth is, we shouldn't be allowing this to happen.
This is exactly the response to all the ******** comments about how "that's just playoff hockey, sometimes you get the breaks." That's loser talk.

1) We made ourselves vulnerable to a random goal, by missing chances and getting wildly outplayed in the second period.
2) We made ourselves vulnerable to a random goal, by losing a defensive zone faceoff and then getting hemmed in like has happened so often (THIS IS OUR TOP LINE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT).
3) We made ourselves vulnerable to a random goal, when our "top defensive forwards" Marleau and Thornton got confused and lost assignments, allowing for a relatively easy puck dump to the front of the net.

Good teams get the puck out of the zone in the last minute of the game, or are already protecting a lead. Sure, you lose some playoff games on the way to a cup win, but you don't consistently lose game 1 of the quarters and semis AT HOME by getting outplayed.

This game will now go 6 or 7 and I have adjusted my "win probability" from 90% to about 60% for the sharkies. good job dudes.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Before the series I was hoping that TMac would split up the big three among 3 lines like we saw before Thornton got hurt.

Those lines (which are awesome IMHO) better not only come after being down 2-0, 2-1, or 3-1. They need to come now and stay throughout the playoffs. Everyone is ready for Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and can shut it down. Time to move on TMac. Don't even use it for the PP, save it for ONLY last minute need a goal situations.

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Marleau-Malhotra-Pavelski
Heatley-Couture-Seto
McGinn-Nichol-Demers/Ortmeyer

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluu View Post
I also thought Thornton was decent tonight. Marleau had to be the worst player tonight hands down.

Oh, and Boyle needs to get involved offensively.
He's too busy covering for Murray's ***.

Marleau(beyond pathetic), Murray(turnover machine), Pavelski(wuss), Nichol(rarely noticed him, and I usually do), McGinn(waste of teal last night), and Malhotra(rarely noticed) all played below their potential and our expectations.

Those that came to play were Clowe(a beast!), Mitchell(a beast!), and Huskins(pretty darn solid).

Heatley played half of a great game, and Jumbo was somewhere between meh and okay.

I'd like to see them bench McGinn and bring in Ortmeyer. I like Jamie's speed, but they need someone to HIT!

Speaking of hitting, Pavelski was hitting like he was playing chick-hockey last night.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't think I ever posted a question about TMac's decision. I like him as a coach. But he really did nothing in the game to get them going.

The top line wasn't clicking. Jumbo did his part and played with urgency, didn't do his normal high zone turnovers, used his size and reach well, and kept the game simple with shots on net. That's what he needs to do. Heater was just OK with good skating and stick work. He was OK in the back check (beating Patty down the ice several shifts) and Patty was on the milk carton again.

Anyone wondering how it would have been for Marleau to still be wearing the C and have that kind of suck ass performance in game one of the playoffs? You think the media and his own team would be low keying it the way they are? He gave up a couple high turnovers with fancy passes that led to odd man rushes Nabby stopped. He skated with speed once down the wing but even then, nobody was there in support. And then TMac gives that line the ice time when they weren't going. Never did break up the line. We were out coached - only because there was no coaching on our team.

Second line and defense was fine. Pavelski had a good game in puck retrieval and playing off Clowe who was a beast again playing with passion. Pavs was in front of the net on our one goal and was for most of the night. Seto was running around and not really effective.

Avs played a good playoff visitors game. Of course they were going to clog the neutral zone. Try and keep the score close and hope for a break. The Sharks played right into the strategy and had no speed on the wing on the entry dump - coaches decision. And the dump play 80% of the time was played behind the net where Anderson got control of it. Also credit them for disciplined play and not going to the box.

That game should have been a blow out but once again, our minnows waded their way into the playoffs to try the minimum effort and win. Playing to the other team's level.

Keys to Friday:
  1. Patty needs to look in his chest once again
  2. Whole team needs to skate and draw some penalties
  3. Top line HAS to be broken up and someone with speed put on each of the 3 lines.
  4. Demers is a wasted player if we don't draw penalties and skate the 4th line. He needs to play or not. Against this team, I'll take Ortmeyer.
  5. Dump play is fine but the puck is going to have to be dumped in a little more precisely to the trapezoid instead of behind the net or a harder rim around so Anderson doesn't get the time to retrieve. Also a few shots on his pads are a good thing to keep him from getting to comfortable and anticipating chasing the puck down.
  6. Forecheck .... not sure the team remembers how to do that. Third line did fine but they wont score with it.

04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Heatley-Couture-Seto
Not bad, but I'd swap Heatley with Mitchell. There's no big gun on Thorn-tron's line.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Washington and Carolina both came back last year from losing the 1st game of the 1st round series. Washington's was at home and Carolina's was on the road. Both series went seven. I expect the same here as I called Sharks in seven and I'm not backing off from that.

Yes, there were awful games by players (Marleau), second guesses, and there will be adjustments to be made. No it's not over and in actuality, I'm even more confident they will take this series seeing what I saw from both teams last night. The Sharks weren't beaten by a hot goalie. They weren't stifled by a hall of fame duo on defense. The speed that Colorado has was more or less contained.

It was obvious that after the initial pressure they put on, they tiptoed trying to not give up that first goal but they did because they backed off. First adjustment will be to not back off until they score. I would rather them give up that 1st goal on an odd-man rush the other way going for it than playing off, taking a penalty because you got beat, and getting scored on by their special teams.

I don't know why people thought this would be over in five games. They've been played tough by the Avs all year, they're well-coached, and do possess an attribute that has given the Sharks fits this year...team speed.

People want to throw out cliches and boo them and talk about their loser speak. Go for it. You have every reason to but it's not nearly as big of an issue as you're making it and in reality, sensationalizing it to try and make it that big is only contributing to the pressure. This team needs to forget about all that and just go and play like they have all year. Take risks, cover for each other, and go for it. If they lose, they lose but at least they took the chances that they didn't last night.

They lost last year at home both times because they got behind first by giving up a power play goal.

Last edited by Pinkfloyd: 04-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:16 AM
nbbyfan20

Quote:
I was at the game as well and what I noticed 1st was the crowd was treating it like a regular season game..The 1st couple of minutes you felt the energy and after our goal you could feel it...other than that it was really quiet all around me...I think giving out towels is a bad idea because when people wave them they make no noise....couldnt we give out something that made a louder noise......I was really disappointed in the crowd during the game ...the only time they got really into it is when they showed this guy dancing on the jumbo tron......Come on San Jose its the Playoffs this happens once a year and Friday could be the last home game if we get swept....I was watching the Pittsburgh game before I left for the tank and their fans were crazy loud.....ours were embarrasing tonight....I dont think the fans care its the playoffs....on that note I dont think the players care either...

Last year we went up against a team in Anaheim who played hard all the way up til the end of the year...then they hit the playoffs with momentum....they beat us..this year we play a team in Colorado who isnt picked to win against us...so they are fighting and clawing and struggling with everything they have to beat us.,....we ...come on the ice like its a regular season game and they take it to us........for this reason the coach should be gone....(and I love Tmac).....Nabby said after the game that they knew Colorado would come out hungry its what the team expected....

WHY THE F#$% arent we coming out hungry?????? Answer : sense of urgency

Blake said we as a team need to play hard for 60 minutes and play more like the 3rd period and the 1st 5 minutes of the game

Question
Dont they know this going in???????

Why Dont they???? Answer Sense of urgency

Tmac says backs arent against the wall..

News flash for you Coach ...YES THEY ARE...If you get swept at home you are done....JUST LIKE LAST YEAR

I wrote this same stupid post last year after we went down 2-0

And also I hate when its said its only one game its the first to four that wins it.
If your down 3-0 you have no confidence at all so your mental state is done...

first to four is only said by teams who are down in the series

This game was absolute garbage I am glad the fans showed enough emotion to boo at the end.....

Friday night everyone better be louder and as far as the team goes.....
use your size for gods sake you are a bigger team...they are faster its ok....Check someone once in a while and stop trying to be so cute with your passes...you guys were absolutley pathetic tonight....if we lose again get ready to gut the team and start the rebuild.......sorry I drank my pain away tonight...but am still pissed
It did seem like a regular season game from Tv. Like one poster said" The Sharks have dissapointed us year after year, why should we get loud for a Round 1 game" The reason why our Arena got the name for one of the loudest in the Nhl is because earlier in the decade, we were the major underdog against the blues, we were usually the 8th seed.

The booing is normal, I remember in 2004 in the Western Conference finals, the fans booed them off the ice in game 2 and in game 5.

If we don't win tommrow, i don't see that we can come back and win the series. Colorado's fans will be rocking. We need to get more shots on, contain the puck and effing score. This seems quite familar to last years playoffs. I hope it changes FAST, so we won't have to see another effing 1st round loss. And i'm pretty sure everyone is still pissed.

nbbyfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM
osgoodshlatters

osgoodshlatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
Not bad, but I'd swap Heatley with Mitchell. There's no big gun on Thorn-tron's line.
What I was proposing is how it was split up by TMac prior to Thornton's injury. The whole point is M-T-H on THREE separate lines, and IMHO, the best line when we did that was Heatley-Couture-Seto.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
TealTownUSA

i'll be at the game on friday and i better expect a 60 friggin' minute effort. should be fun.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:35 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516

I think this pic says it all ha ha!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
my biggest question is why the 4th line saw such little ice time. It was obvious that Joe, Patty, and Heatley couldn't receive or complete a pass to save their lives last night.

I thought Mcginn, Nichol, and Mitchell would have been a great line to throw out there more often as all three showed energy and hustle all night long. If the top line is not going to play like the top line then don't let them play that much.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:54 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Before the series I was hoping that TMac would split up the big three among 3 lines like we saw before Thornton got hurt.

Those lines (which are awesome IMHO) better not only come after being down 2-0, 2-1, or 3-1. They need to come now and stay throughout the playoffs. Everyone is ready for Marleau-Thornton-Heatley and can shut it down. Time to move on TMac. Don't even use it for the PP, save it for ONLY last minute need a goal situations.

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Heatley-Couture-Seto
C.C., I can't agree with you more. That's why I mentioned the difference between T.M. and M.B. in Detroit; T.M. seems terrrified to make this type of move. But, you're nothing less than correct C.C., this is a must.

Last night, Colorado looked soooooooooo beatable it was nothing short of a joke that we lost that game. And, much of it was for the laziness and lack of Heart AGAIN, from Patty and Pav's. And to think, many have mentioned over and over again on how we have to move Clowe this summer as to be able to sign Patty and Pav's back. From this current and past playoff history, makes you wonder if this is the right move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
He's too busy covering for Murray's ***.

Marleau(beyond pathetic), Murray(turnover machine), Pavelski(wuss), Nichol(rarely noticed him, and I usually do), McGinn(waste of teal last night), and Malhotra(rarely noticed) all played below their potential and our expectations.

Those that came to play were Clowe(a beast!), Mitchell(a beast!), and Huskins(pretty darn solid).

Heatley played half of a great game, and Jumbo was somewhere between meh and okay.

I'd like to see them bench McGinn and bring in Ortmeyer. I like Jamie's speed, but they need someone to HIT!

Speaking of hitting, Pavelski was hitting like he was playing chick-hockey last night.
ditto again as to notes above. So on the money, except you forgot to add how Joe had a pretty solid game and, as the CBC commentators had stated up here at one point in the third, "he was doing his best to inspire Patty and Heatley to put more out". We can at least admit that Heater actually looked a lot more interested than Patty did that is for sure.

As well, on the D; what's with Vlasic getting beat and pushed about by guys much smaller than him?

Last edited by 19sharks19: 04-15-2010 at 10:59 AM.