HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: What makes Montreal the BEST city in the world?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
  #1
needmorefunds007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
OT: What makes Montreal the BEST city in the world?

Hey guys,

I'm working on creating a mini-video of all the best scenes, places, monuments.... Anything and everything that makes Montreal extraordinary. Whether it be clips of the Habs, of the famous restaurants (Poutine lol) or events... I'm looking to put together a 2-3 minute video that defines the city.

Could you guys help me out here?

Before you ask, the reason I'm making the video is to submit it to Crowdswing.com for their Social Media Experiment. I figure also that if enough people participate from Montreal, it has a good shot at winning .

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM
  #2
Spy
resU deretsigeR
 
Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Womans.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
  #3
needmorefunds007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
Womans.
link to pics? Videos?

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:00 AM
  #4
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,799
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorefunds007 View Post
link to pics? Videos?
That's probably not the best thing to ask for if you want to spam up this thread with all sorts of images and videos..

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
  #5
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 33,449
vCash: 216
lots of strip clubs
woot woot

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
  #6
needmorefunds007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's probably not the best thing to ask for if you want to spam up this thread with all sorts of images and videos..


True... but a few wouldn't hurt

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:11 AM
  #7
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
Snow.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
  #8
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 16,258
vCash: 500
Montreal best city in the world ?


ROFL

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
  #9
seanp316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
needmorefunds007; I'll help ya out, what's your email address I'll send ya a semi detailed email

seanp316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
  #10
Dutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Montreal best city in the world ?


ROFL
Quoted for truth.

Maybe the best city that starts with the letters M-O-N-T... ah crap, Monte Carlo.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
  #11
PacoXIII
Registered User
 
PacoXIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brossard
Country: Chile
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Montreal is the best city in the world for the night life, the cultural variety, the WOMEN and of course the massive amount of sports fans... ranging from hockey to soccer to mma... also we have really nice architecture. Did I mention we have some beautiful women? Am I the only one who really enjoys this "legging" fashion all the ladies be wearin'?

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:36 AM
  #12
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING
 
McSorleyStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 221B Baker Street
Posts: 16,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoXIII View Post
Montreal is the best city in the world for the night life, the cultural variety, the WOMEN and of course the massive amount of sports fans... ranging from hockey to soccer to mma... also we have really nice architecture. Did I mention we have some beautiful women? Am I the only one who really enjoys this "legging" fashion all the ladies be wearin'?
Wrong

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
  #13
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Montreal best city in the world ?


ROFL
It surely is not the best city in the world, but I dare you to find another city which is that safe (crime free) but still is the home of such a diverse culture, a vibrant nightlife and who can level the general activity/energy of Montreal.

Dutchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
  #14
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 500
The

diversity

good looking women

Lots of students / young people that live downtown, or trendy plateau / mile-end

affordable compared to other large cities

Laid back culture and lax attitude about lots of things

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
  #15
needmorefunds007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoXIII View Post
Montreal is the best city in the world for the night life, the cultural variety, the WOMEN and of course the massive amount of sports fans... ranging from hockey to soccer to mma... also we have really nice architecture. Did I mention we have some beautiful women? Am I the only one who really enjoys this "legging" fashion all the ladies be wearin'?
I've traveled a lot and I must say that the nightlife in montreal and the ladies are top notch.

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:43 AM
  #16
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
idiot drivers

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
  #17
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Amsterdam says "hi".

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
  #18
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorefunds007 View Post
I've traveled a lot and I must say that the nightlife in montreal and the ladies are top notch.
I haven't been to all cities in the world to pass judgement, but I have been to most big cities in Canada and would rank Montreal number 1 in Canada of all the cities I have visited.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM
  #19
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,493
vCash: 500
YT montreal and you get tons of cheesy videos of horse carriage rides in pretty old montreal and such (btw, old montreal is probably the biggest 'tourist' thing to do)

we can easily make a thread about what sucks in Montreal too

that would be a more original video

no city is perfect

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
  #20
needmorefunds007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I haven't been to all cities in the world to pass judgement, but I have been to most big cities in Canada and would rank Montreal number 1 in Canada of all the cities I have visited.
In Canada.... Montreal wins in my opinion. Vancouver is a close a second though!

needmorefunds007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:14 AM
  #21
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Montreal is a good city when you are younger but not a very serious city. I was born here and always lived within walking distance of downtown and enjoy it quite a bit, but I can't see myself staying here as I get older and want to start a family and business.

There are crippling taxes here (probably highest in North America), Quebec has the most debt per capita in North America (close to most in whole world). Young people here will be paying for the debt produced by their parents' government spending spree for their entire lives. Population is ageing/shrinking while we have all kinds of significant pension/obligations to a older workforce that will soon be retiring on very fat and unrealistic pensions mostly to bloated government sector who never really contributed productively to the economy (more public workers than Ontario even tho it is half the population).

Basically the economic situation here is a disaster, the Liberals had a chance to improve it but failed, now they will lose the nextelection and we'll get an even more socialist and less serious PQ party. Long term it's going to get a lot worse once interest rates rise and the debt really starts to crush us, along with the piper being paid on underfunded pension obligations and other public social programs. Not to mention the only thing keeping Quebec remotely solvent right now are transfer payments from the rest of Canada, how long is this going to last?

Montreal is great if you are already rich, or a student/in your 20s having a good time, but a terrible place to do business or raise a family. I have fun now and have a good job but I can't see myself here in 5-10 years when it's time to get really serious. I'm english so I'll be able to go anywhere easily but I feel bad for french people who don't speak english well (thx to Quebec's terrible public schools) and are trapped here.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
  #22
Done
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
After visiting Montreal for the first time last winter, my wife and I have been back twice since so we quickly agreed with those that think Montreal is the best city - at least in Canada (and we live near Vancouver so there you go!). What makes it great? The passion, the culture, the people (including, of course, the women), the generally friendly vibe, the diverse neighbourhoods, Lester's Deli, Wilensky's, Fairmont Bagel, La Banquise, and the best metro system that pretty much gets you anywhere you want to go quickly. Also, just grabbing a "meat on a stick" in Marche Jean Talon or a coffee and sitting in Parc Portugal and enjoy the best people watching anywhere.

Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:34 AM
  #23
mikeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
1) the food. we have some of the best selection of restaurants in the world.
2) the diversity and harmony between french and english on the island, go outside of it and tread at your peril
3) mont-royal
4) etc etc etc poutine

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
  #24
PacoXIII
Registered User
 
PacoXIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brossard
Country: Chile
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post
Wrong
That's your opinion.

What do you think is a better city?

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
  #25
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Montreal is a good city when you are younger but not a very serious city. I was born here and always lived within walking distance of downtown and enjoy it quite a bit, but I can't see myself staying here as I get older and want to start a family and business.

There are crippling taxes here (probably highest in North America), Quebec has the most debt per capita in North America (close to most in whole world). Young people here will be paying for the debt produced by their parents' government spending spree for their entire lives. Population is ageing/shrinking while we have all kinds of significant pension/obligations to a older workforce that will soon be retiring on very fat and unrealistic pensions mostly to bloated government sector who never really contributed productively to the economy (more public workers than Ontario even tho it is half the population).

Basically the economic situation here is a disaster, the Liberals had a chance to improve it but failed, now they will lose the nextelection and we'll get an even more socialist and less serious PQ party. Long term it's going to get a lot worse once interest rates rise and the debt really starts to crush us, along with the piper being paid on underfunded pension obligations and other public social programs. Not to mention the only thing keeping Quebec remotely solvent right now are transfer payments from the rest of Canada, how long is this going to last?

Montreal is great if you are already rich, or a student/in your 20s having a good time, but a terrible place to do business or raise a family. I have fun now and have a good job but I can't see myself here in 5-10 years when it's time to get really serious. I'm english so I'll be able to go anywhere easily but I feel bad for french people who don't speak english well (thx to Quebec's terrible public schools) and are trapped here.
This is all fact by the way people, he didn't just pull this out of his ass, the younger generation in Montreal is going to get ****ed, probably out of our pensions actually as old people live a long time now and there are way more of them then us. Doing business here is a joke, the language police/taxes/etc make it such a joke, people come here to stimulate the economy and they chase them away with stupid crap like this, then people wonder why all the big companies that were contributing millions in tax dollars now do so in Ontario.

You make it problematic for the people who give you tax dollars to run their business, they'll tell you to go **** yourselves, it's a pretty simple concept. Stop ****ing the businesses in Montreal so they actually stay here and can get the economy here to improve.

I honestly don't get how anyone can give a **** about a French word being the same size as an English word on an advertisement, I mean does it really change anything? No. But this is the type of stuff that drives companies out of our province. Example: Gilette, why'd they leave? I know for a fact it was because their accounting software that they paid over a million dollars to have made for them, (custom software) wasn't bilingual and therefore, the gov wanted them to convert it to French. Well needless to say, it would just be cheaper for them in the long run to move to Ontario, and less problematic too. They're gone now too, another tax paying big company that has left here. Clearly this system isn't working, and to be honest, the rest of Canada frowns upon the way this province operates, with the language policies which are just plain stupid, the handing of jobs to people who are completely under qualified to do them (government jobs, we have more different divisions of the government/branchs then any country in the world does, and we aren't even a country, nuff said)

Then people wonder where all their tax dollars go or why the taxes are so high. Open your eyes people, you're paying for this war out of your pocket, and it's a losing battle, the rest of Canada knows it, why can't we all just accept it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.