HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3rd overall to Edmonton

View Poll Results: Who would you pick 3rd overall?
Brett Connolly 11 12.64%
Eric Gudbransson 46 52.87%
Cam 30 34.48%
other 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
hemskyhemskyhemsky*

vCash: 500
What's this news on Nash not wanting to sign with the Oil?

hemskyhemskyhemsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps fan 19 View Post
1st of all OT: I am very quickly becoming a fan of the oilers and am very excited to watch the kids play and become studs in the NHL.

Correct me if im wrong but on TSN when James Duthie asked the 5 GMs if they got the first pick if they would trade it. I remember the GM of the Panthers saying he would to improve his team. well im wondering if you would do a deal for that pick

Edmonton-Florida

1st 2010 (3rd)

Dustin Penner

Im not saying straight up but as a base for the trade. What would you add to eather side?

Edit: The Poll says "Cam" i meant Cam Fowler and messed up. if some one could tell me how to edit a poll it would be very helpfull.
I was just thinking today about this exact trade scenerio of Penner for the 3rd. Penner + Horton is 2 30 goal scores with size.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 05:06 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Too risky, guys like Barker and Turris went 3rd overall. So did Toews, but I wouldn't trade an established player for that chance. Penner's size and 30+ goals makes him invaluable to the Oil.
Penner will not be an Oiler much longer....bank on it. He's done here, wait and see.

Old
04-16-2010, 05:09 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Connolly hands down, he excites me like Nazim Kadri, booming shot so he could play point on the PP, big hitter.
Connolly all the way for me as well. He could have been in the mix for first overall if he wasn't injured. He impresses me more than Hall even though I've only seen a few games for each player..Whoever gets him beyond the top 3 gets the steal of the draft IMO.

Old
04-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

For me it would be a tough choice between Gudbransson and Connolly. If they deem Connolly is 100% then I don't think you can pass on him. It says a BIG SOMETHING when a kid is hurt for almost the entire season and he remains a top 5 prospect. Most scouts agree that if he was healthy this season it would have been a 3 horse race for the number 1 spot. BUT, Gudbransson is going to be a stud as well and we are DESPERATE for a stud d-man. As one of my buddies pointed out today this kid is like Weber. He brings EVERYTHING to the table you could ask a d-man to do. Having said all this, if we had to settle for Fowler that wouldn't be a bad thing! I'm not a fan though of the fact that Fowler doesn't have much of a physical game, but man alive is he smooth. Damn you Caps fan for bringing this up!

BTW, I have been posting this in another thread but A LOT of speculation that Tambellini is going to do everything he can to get another top 5 pick....and this talk isn't coming from the Eklund's of the world, but rather respected, knowledgable, hockey people that aren't rumour mongers. I want 3 of the top 5 picks but I'll settle for 2

Last edited by Zach and Slater: 04-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If we managed the 3rd pick while retaining the first, I think we would be insane to not take Fowler or Gunbranson.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Oiler Lover

The Oilers shouldn't trade Penner period. He is a big power forward who can score 40+ with his top linemates healthy. He will be a major source of offense for the Oilers in the years to come...build around Penner and the kids. Florida doesn't have anyone who would do well with the Oilers.

Oiler Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Lover View Post
The Oilers shouldn't trade Penner period. He is a big power forward who can score 40+ with his top linemates healthy. He will be a major source of offense for the Oilers in the years to come...build around Penner and the kids. Florida doesn't have anyone who would do well with the Oilers.
Thats kinda why wed be trading him for the 3rd overall pick and not an actual player...

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Lover View Post
No offense man but you got Penner goggles on! I really like Penner but he doesn't have the desire to be a 40 goal guy. Consistanly 30? Yes, which is great and well worth a top 5 pick when you factor in his size. But we are going to be building around a new, younger core here starting this offseason. Penner will be over 30 by the time these guys hit there prime, and might not even stick around after his contract is up in 2 years. Deal him now while his value is at it's peak. The kid we would get at 3 will fit into our core MUCH better than Penner would.

Old
04-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
No offense man but you got Penner goggles on! I really like Penner but he doesn't have the desire to be a 40 goal guy. Consistanly 30? Yes, which is great and well worth a top 5 pick when you factor in his size. But we are going to be building around a new, younger core here starting this offseason. Penner will be over 30 by the time these guys hit there prime, and might not even stick around after his contract is up in 2 years. Deal him now while his value is at it's peak. The kid we would get at 3 will fit into our core MUCH better than Penner would.
The Oilers are not going to go anywhere with a bunch of 20-year-olds. A rebuilding team needs vetrans and not just a bunch of 20-year-olds.

04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
camboy

Trading Penner now when he's entering his prime would be a mistake. The guy scored 32 goals playing on a team that lost 500+ man games to injury. He would have scored 40 to 45 goals playing the whole year with Hemsky. Winning teams don't trade 40 goal scorers.

IMO Hemsky stays and Penner stays.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 10:33 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I'd do it. I would also expect and want Fowler's name to be called.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
If I were the Panthers I'd keep this pick. They are not one or two players away from competing so they really do have to rebuild.

If I were them though and I wanted to trade with the Oilers I'd ask for this:

To Edmonton

3rd Overall

To Florida

2011 First

2010 2nd(31st)

Jeff Petry or Andrew Cogliano

I think Something like that would be fair.
REBUILD!

what part of this dont people get. Fowler may bot be much better than Petry when all is said and done

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I prefer Penner to Fowler for sure. Gudbrandson looks good to me but is he a sure thing?

If he's a sure thing then I'd consider it.

Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Eberle - Gagner - Brule

Thats a weak top 6 next year but very good in a year or twos time.
Exactly what you want in a rebuild...

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
IMO Hemsky stays and Penner stays.
Thats the thing though. I have a feeling Hemsky is gone this offseason. Not saying I'm supporting it, but I could see it. Not only that, but in a Hemsky interview(In the what has Hemsky been doing thread a month or so back), to me he sounded like a guy who has been told they may try trade him. But thats my personal opinion.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:00 AM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I prefer Penner to Fowler for sure. Gudbrandson looks good to me but is he a sure thing?

If he's a sure thing then I'd consider it.

Hall - Horcoff - Hemsky
Eberle - Gagner - Brule

Thats a weak top 6 next year but very good in a year or twos time.
Not saying I don't like that line-up, would consider to put in Omark instead of Horcoff and that we keep Penner around for a while.

Omark-Seguin-Hemsky
Jones-Gagner-Eberle
Penner-Cogs-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-Stone

Stortini

But what the heck shall we do with Sully, Nisse, Potulny, Pouliot & Moreau? I highly doubt we have any takers on them. Maybe do a Burke like trade and involve 3 or 4 of them in a deal for a highprised player, like Richards or Roszival?

Thought?

M Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Kosik

Like a week ago i remember bob stauffer say that penner is a loyal guy and is much more likely to resign than hemsky. I dont know how much truth is behind that but he pretty much sees these guys everyday. Im just hoping in the next 2 years hemsky can stay healthy, play with some of the new talent/penner, put up points and sign up with the team for the the long haul. Hopefully tambo has some good heart to heart talks with these 2 and gets a good idea if they will stick around.

Kosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Hemsky4PM

I think you are probably looking at:

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
MPS-Gagner-Eberle

In two years time. That means Penner is definitely a piece you can move. I think his value is higher than just a pick though.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 11:21 AM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ace View Post
Not saying I don't like that line-up, would consider to put in Omark instead of Horcoff and that we keep Penner around for a while.

Omark-Seguin-Hemsky
Jones-Gagner-Eberle
Penner-Cogs-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-Stone

Stortini

But what the heck shall we do with Sully, Nisse, Potulny, Pouliot & Moreau? I highly doubt we have any takers on them. Maybe do a Burke like trade and involve 3 or 4 of them in a deal for a highprised player, like Richards or Roszival?

Thought?
No thanks I want Hall

Anyways we cant get rid of Horcoff its impossible. Heres my opinion on Horcoff. MacT overplayed Horcoff and tired him out so much when he was here so Horc didnt really produce well. This year his shoulder was bugging him all year and he started to get healthier by the end of the season when he actually started performing like the oldd Horcoff we once knew. I think he can be a good player. Unless the only reason he started doing better is because he was paired with Pisani and Moreau LOL.

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The Oilers are not going to go anywhere with a bunch of 20-year-olds. A rebuilding team needs vetrans and not just a bunch of 20-year-olds.
Right, so sign a vet after you deal him. When can some of you just admit already that you don't want to do a rebuild you are just worried about next season?