HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Knew Belfour was a sieve up top!

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2004, 11:03 PM
mikef1010

vCash: 500
Flyers Knew Belfour was a sieve up top!

I think the Flyers did a very good job of scouting out Belfour. Hitchcock coached him and Roenick played with him.

Think back to the Ottawa series. They rarely got the puck up high and when they did, many went in.

When ESPN interviewed Recci before the series he mentioned that the Eagle was great along the ice but had weak spots. They knew Eddie was weak up high.

For gods sake he was on his knees when Roenick let that shot go.

The Flyers figued this out and other that 2 or 3 goals all were shot high.

Oh well, maybe next year.

Ouch, I have been saying that for 37 years.

mikef1010

Old
05-06-2004, 11:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

In the NHL today 95% of all goalies play the butterfly, which means they're better down low than they are upstairs.

Also no matter how good any goalie is, if a shooter makes a perfect shot, no goalie is going to make the save.

In game 6 both somik and Roenick ripped perfect shots into the top corner. If you're looking to assign blame on the goals it wasn't Belfour.

Goal 1 - Somik - Blame Nieuwendyk
Goals 2 & 3 - Roenick - Blame Leetch

Old
05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
mikef1010

I'm just saying Belfour goes down sooner than others. He was on his knees when that puck left Roenicks stick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have the Eagle, (I wonder if he wants to come back?) but all year my son and I have watched how much Eddie hits the ice. He is weak up top and I can't believe the Sens did not know this.

I think the Flyers won because they just knew where to put the puck (plus they are a better team overall).

Not all so called butterfly goalies are weak up top.

N.B. I love your avatar!!!

Old
05-06-2004, 11:48 PM
ArtVandelei

There is a reason why JR is a two-time accuracy shooting champ. That shot was unstoppable- especially considering that Belfour had to be concerned by the other player.

Last edited by ArtVandelei: 05-06-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old
05-07-2004, 09:37 AM
brianf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
There is a reason why JR is a two-time accuracy shooting champ. That shot was unstoppable- especially considering that Belfour had to be concerned by the other player.
That shot was stoppable. If Belfour was not on his knees it was a simple save.

brianf

Old
05-07-2004, 10:40 AM
joecool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf
brianf
This is the lamest troll ever.

Old
05-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
I'm a goalie and I can tell you that the Somik goal and Roenick's OT goal were about as close to unstoppable as you can get.

In OT, Roenick was cutting into center on a 2 on 1 and ripped a PERFECTLY placed puck back to the side he was coming from. Top right hand corner, right under the crossbar- not much you can do about that.

If anything, Belfour blew Roenick's first goal. That was a bad goal. Belfour was way out of position.

I'd also disagree that Belfour's weakness is up high. I do feel he has an exploitable weakness, but I'm not going to say what it is. (You never know- some of the Senators might be lurking around here .)

Old
05-07-2004, 11:08 AM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I'm a goalie and I can tell you that the Somik goal and Roenick's OT goal were about as close to unstoppable as you can get.

In OT, Roenick was cutting into center on a 2 on 1 and ripped a PERFECTLY placed puck back to the side he was coming from. Top right hand corner, right under the crossbar- not much you can do about that.

If anything, Belfour blew Roenick's first goal. That was a bad goal. Belfour was way out of position.

I'd also disagree that Belfour's weakness is up high. I do feel he has an exploitable weakness, but I'm not going to say what it is. (You never know- some of the Senators might be lurking around here .)

You coulda put kidd in net with Belfour's number on the back and the Snes still woulda had a mental block..... PLease Please enlighten us... culd it be his personality

Old
05-07-2004, 11:09 AM
brianf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

I to am a goalie. Thats why I say that shot was stoppable. If he was up. Its stopped.

Did Belfour keep us in both series. Absolutely!!! Was Belfour a major factor in the very strong 2 past seasons. Well yes.

My only point is all the weak goals he gives up are high. There are times when goalie go down to soon. If the puck is not behind the net and you are not screened, stay up.

Old
05-07-2004, 11:30 AM
brianf

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool
This is the lamest troll ever.

It's not a troll. It's a accurate observation.

Old
05-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Killer 93

Quote:
It's not a troll. It's a accurate observation.
Are you aware that you are not supposed to use two usernames at the same time?

Old
05-07-2004, 11:48 AM
brianf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender
Are you aware that you are not supposed to use two usernames at the same time?
I tried to sign up at work and the firewall prevented me from doing this.

I then signed up the same day at home as mike1010 my son's forum name at another place. I did not think I could sign up using the same name at 2 different locations.

You really have brianf here!!!

Old
05-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
I to am a goalie. Thats why I say that shot was stoppable. If he was up. Its stopped.

Did Belfour keep us in both series. Absolutely!!! Was Belfour a major factor in the very strong 2 past seasons. Well yes.

My only point is all the weak goals he gives up are high. There are times when goalie go down to soon. If the puck is not behind the net and you are not screened, stay up.
I doubt you're a goalie, because if you analyzed the play at all you could tell that Eddie was unsure of the pass accross, also to call him a flat out Butterfly Goalie shows your knowledge of Goaltending technics. Eddie is a positional goalie, not a typical Butterfly goalie and even those with remote goalie knowledge could tell you that.

BTW, the word on the street for beating Eddie isn't to get it up high any more than any other goalie, it's to get traffic right on top of him, just like the way that most of the Flyers goals were scored.

Go ahead, ask on the main hockey board who people think is the best "technical" goalie in the league and I'll bet that 99% have Belfour in the top 3.

Old
05-07-2004, 12:19 PM
brianf

[QUOTE=Dar]I doubt you're a goalie, /QUOTE]

I have been playing in net on and off for 40 years. Started as a 5 year old at St. Mikes arena house leauge. (Used to get to see Keon, Shack, Mahovolich do their mornings skates on Sat. morns).

Then played for Toronto Olympics until 1969 when my Dad died and had to go back to house league because my mom could not drive me to the away games.

Quit playing for about 3 or 4 years while in high school. Since then have played almost every year on either employee leagues or Shinny in Oakville Parks and Rec.

I never said I was a good goalie. I just am concurring (sp) with experts and with what I saw. Send an e mail to CTV Sports Net Nick Kyprios who also stated Befour is weak up top.

I don't understand why this is such a touchy topic. Every goalie has a weak spot. Every single goalie. The Eagle just gets handcuffed up top (Both sides). Is he great down on the ice? He sure is!!!

Old
05-07-2004, 12:40 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

tampa in 4

Old
05-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
I never said I was a good goalie. I just am concurring (sp) with experts and with what I saw. Send an e mail to CTV Sports Net Nick Kyprios who also stated Befour is weak up top.

I don't understand why this is such a touchy topic. Every goalie has a weak spot. Every single goalie. The Eagle just gets handcuffed up top (Both sides). Is he great down on the ice? He sure is!!!
Please don't take offense to what I said, I just questioned your thoughts on the fact you called Eddie a Butterfly Goalie.

As for Kypreos...I'll take Hrudey's or Healey's analysis of Eddie over a former left winger who for someone who seems to know about goalie's weaknesses failed to score more than 17 goals in any given season. Sure did love watching the game from the penalty box though.

Both Hrudey and Healey have commented that the only weakness Eddie has is a) His temper and b) When rushed, he questions himself when players break in, leaving him to wonder whether the opposing team is going to crash the net or shoot.

Eddie's weakness is not his top shelf (at least no more than any other goalie). He rarely goes down too early (that's a trait Kidd has downpacked). Butterfly goalies will also give up a lot more rebounds than Belfour because their legs are flat on the ice. Belfour's one of the best in the league at controlling rebounds.

Old
05-07-2004, 03:30 PM
joecool

Quote:
It's a accurate observation.
Here's an example of an accurate observation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
The Flyers had a 2 on 1 from the redline in, with the puck being carried by Roenick who besides having a good shot is also a good clutch player.

McCabe played the pass all the way to the net which gave Roenick 4 or 5 feet of the net to shoot at, with no other pressure except to make a perfect shot.
Here's a rational conclusion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I know that the usual philosophy is to let the goalie take the shooter, but an nhl calibre player can't be left alone all day to pick his shot. I think that McCabe should have been 2 feet closer to Roenik so that at least there was the chance of knocking the puck off Roenick's stick.
Here's a troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If McCabe doesn't float down the middle, The flyers don't even get a shot off.
Also, Belfour allegedly being "weak up top" has nothing to do with the fact that on that particular play, Roenick made a great shot. And that's why I called it a troll, because you seemed to ignore the fact that really, it was a perfectly executed 2 on 1. ( and it was listed as your post #1 )

Closed Thread