HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 2: Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins |7:00 PM EST| OTT 1 - PIT 0

Old
04-16-2010, 11:43 PM
DaveMatthew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
We had a game where the other team was desperate and set the tone and we lost by one goal in the last 4 minutes.

We'll have the opportunity to carry more momentum in front of the home crowd and with our match-ups.
Exactly. I'm not all that discouraged by this game. In fact, I think we had a lot of positives, particularly Brian Elliott. And I think the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil line is beginning to frustrate Malkin, who outside of the PP in game 1, hasn't done much.

We got a split against a team that prior to this series, lost only 4 of their last 22 home playoff games. We're going home were we'll be able to manage match-ups much better and were we've played significantly better this year. If we win every game at SBP and lose the rest in Pitt, we win this series.

So let's be a bit more positive.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Iggy77

This team got outworked tonight.

Pittsburgh totally raised the level of their game after Game 1, like winners do. We didn't.

We got the split and on Sunday we'll find out what the Sens are made of. If they come out harder than ever then this team has a shot at winning the series. Otherwise we can forget it.

It's up to Clouston and the leaders of the team to get everyone to raise the level of their game, especially the forwards. I wouldn't say they were awful tonight, but they weren't good enough. Pure and simple.

Props to the defense, penalty killers and Elliott for a solid game tonight.

In game 3 we have home ice advantage, if the forwards can actually get into the zone and get some good scoring chances we can win it.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 12:25 AM
OttawaGM

I was upset after the game, but then I remembered that this was a MUST win game for the Pens and that they had both Malkin and Crosby against Karlsson the whole night.

In Ottawa we'll have the last change so we should be a bit better off...

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
source

Who's in for Leopold if he can't play Sunday?

AFAIK it's a bunch of nobodies after him, but I could be wrong.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 12:44 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Jay McKee.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Who's in for Leopold if he can't play Sunday?

AFAIK it's a bunch of nobodies after him, but I could be wrong.
It's the guy in the dress. No kidding. The other pictures are photoshops but apparently the first one is real.

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009/...y-mckee-leaves

Tundraman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:02 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I was pleased with tonights game. The Sens hardly played a flawless game but kept up the intensity and played Malkin very well. Elliott was great. They kept the neutral zone clogged again and looked good on the PK.

Most importantly they gave themselves a real chance to win this game.

There are lots of areas the team can improve upon for Sunday. I want to see the forwards chip pucks deep when they get the chance. Too many times tonight I saw guys dump pucks softly only to end up on Pens sticks. Get that forecheck going and work their D more frequently.

The Crosby keep away embodies why I want Fisher or Kelly vs Crosby and why home ice is going to be huge. Spezza was smart on that play though so I hope not too many fans rip on him. He knew Crosby was going to draw a penalty ifhe so much as touched him with his stick. Spezza did his job but the winger should have done a better job of taking away the point option, plus the crease has to be cleared.

Last but not least, wtf refs? I know we joke about there being a Bettman conspiracy with the Pens but its hard to watch a game like this and not think there is some truth to this stuff. How can Crosby get away with boarding like that? Sutton literally got suspended for a lesser hit. Ruutu embellished it by staying down but there still needs to be at least 2 minutes there. Ridiculous. The Sutton holding the stick call was absurd as well.

To anyone going to the games, get on the refs early if this BS continues. Hopefully we can buy a call for a change of pace.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 02:09 AM
shakazuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I was pleased with tonights game. The Sens hardly played a flawless game but kept up the intensity and played Malkin very well. Elliott was great. They kept the neutral zone clogged again and looked good on the PK.

Most importantly they gave themselves a real chance to win this game.

There are lots of areas the team can improve upon for Sunday. I want to see the forwards chip pucks deep when they get the chance. Too many times tonight I saw guys dump pucks softly only to end up on Pens sticks. Get that forecheck going and work their D more frequently.

The Crosby keep away embodies why I want Fisher or Kelly vs Crosby and why home ice is going to be huge. Spezza was smart on that play though so I hope not too many fans rip on him. He knew Crosby was going to draw a penalty ifhe so much as touched him with his stick. Spezza did his job but the winger should have done a better job of taking away the point option, plus the crease has to be cleared.

Last but not least, wtf refs? I know we joke about there being a Bettman conspiracy with the Pens but its hard to watch a game like this and not think there is some truth to this stuff. How can Crosby get away with boarding like that? Sutton literally got suspended for a lesser hit. Ruutu embellished it by staying down but there still needs to be at least 2 minutes there. Ridiculous. The Sutton holding the stick call was absurd as well.

To anyone going to the games, get on the refs early if this BS continues. Hopefully we can buy a call for a change of pace.
for all the ******** that wasn't called and to go ahead and call a lame penalty like that at that point in the game is ludicrous. imagine they scored on that call. hey refs, either call it all or put away the ****ing whistle at the point in the game.

shakazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 05:06 AM
DenGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
That was the worst playoff game I have ever seen Spezza play.. Absolutely EFFING PATCHETIC...

He shows absolutely NO PASSION.. Now I cannot see him ever wearing the C or maybe even an A...

Alfy was pretty fricken invisible too..

But where was the Fisher line? Half of our offense CANNOT come from our 3rd effing line..

We should Split Spezza and Alfy for this series

Regin - Spezza - Cullen
Foligno - Fisher - Alfredsson

They can't check both lines and will send a message to Spezza... Show some ****ing passion and work out there.
This

DenGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 07:37 AM
michelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Yeah Spezza has been good, hedoes need to simplify his game some but can't blame him on the GWG, Letang should've been covered.

Not sure how you can say Spezza has been good. He's suppose to be our best player (for years now he's been pegged as the one to take over the reins from Alfie). How many times in the two games has he coughed up the puck? He basically gave them a 2-1 on our power play. He hasn't won any battles for the puck, played any defense, had any affect forechecking or backchecked. I partially agree that you can't blame him on the GWG but Crosby was schooling him in keep-a-way and was basically skating circles around him until a play opened up. Spezza has to contain his player - he might not have let him get to the front of the net but he didn't stop him from making a play. Later Spezza lost the puck again coming into their zone when the net was empty (fortunately the Sens recovered without giving up an empty netter but it still took time off the clock and killed the attack.). He certainly hasn`t elevated his game for the playoffs - as far as effort, I think he`s ranking near the bottom. You look at the hussle our 4th and 3rd line are putting and he hasn`t put anywhere near that effort. Alfie (and Regin) haven`t had tons of success but they are skating out there and trying to make plays. Just compare the play of Cullen or Smith to Spezza`s; they don`t have the skills but they`ve been trying a whole lot harder (compare how Smith on the forecheck/backcheck to Spezza) and even on offense. During the game Smith and Spezza both had similar plays where they cut across the middle and took a long shot from near the blue line - Spezza just watched the rebound go around the boards and Pitts pick it up on the right side (and Spezza probably would have been the first there if he had tried) while Smith took the shot and tried to pick up the rebound himself (although a Pitt player beat him to it).

Anyway, just saying that in my eyes, Spezza`s probably the least amount of effort out there and I have no idea how anyone can see he`s been good.

michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:16 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Sens will have last change so they will be able to put Spezza against who they wants. You'll see Spezza shine at home. I hope the crowd is insane

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I.......
That would be Regin. He should have dove and blocked the shot instead of standing upright and hoping the shot hit him and blocking Elliott's view while doing it. Spezza did a great job controlling Crosby by not letting him get to the front of the net and not getting a penalty (that with McCreary reffing he surely would have had he raised his stick and touched Crosby anywhere above the knee).

The good news, the Pens played their best game the Sens did not., and they lost by 1 goal in the last minutes of an away game against the defending Stanley Cup champs. They come home with a split and take home ice advantage away from the Pens. The Sens have been great at home all year, they should be nothing but confident for game 3. The way some people are going on about around here you'd think the Sens were supposed to sweep this series.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Zillaege

The Sutton hit was an amazing, clean hit, no issues with it from that perspective. That being said, that was a ******* stupid hit to make on the road. All you're doing is getting the fans riled up and into the game. Finish your hits and play physical, but save the massive hits for home ice, where our own fans can get pumped up from it. Up to that point the game was pretty even, but after that Pittsburgh took over. On the road you're supposed to take the crowd out of it, not rile them up.

Volchenkov and Neil never make those kinds of hits on the road, they play hard but they never even attempt them, they save those hits for home ice.

On the bright side, we're doing a fantastic job of getting in Malkin's face and getting him off his game, we just need to find an answer to Crosby.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
That would be Regin. He should have dove and blocked the shot instead of standing upright and hoping the shot hit him and blocking Elliott's view while doing it. Spezza did a great job controlling Crosby by not letting him get to the front of the net and not getting a penalty (that with McCreary reffing he surely would have had he raised his stick and touched Crosby anywhere above the knee).

The good news, the Pens played their best game the Sens did not., and they lost by 1 goal in the last minutes of an away game against the defending Stanley Cup champs. They come home with a split and take home ice advantage away from the Pens. The Sens have been great at home all year, they should be nothing but confident for game 3. The way some people are going on about around here you'd think the Sens were supposed to sweep this series.
Not even close.

BTW, Pens ROAD record .... might want to look at that. They have handled SBP before.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 09:03 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Overall I thought the game by the Sens was OK. Spezza was doing all he could against Crosby on the GWG by Pitts, the whole time I'm yelling at the TV, stay with him Spezz, stay with him...and for the most part he did. I truly believe that the best you can do is contain Crosby and for the most part Spezza did that.

The problem I have is that our wingers (especially from that line) are way too slow moving the to point. Wednesday we saw the same thing, Crosby behind the net looking over his shoulders for a play to the point (Goligoski I believe) with Alfredsson in no mans land. At some point our wingers drop down real low and that's when he makes the pass to the point and bingo it's in the net.

THAT must be fixed or it will continue to happen.

Anyway, overall OK game and I expect that the home crowd and last change will give the Sens the edge.

Oh yeah. Another good game by Karlsson playing against Malkin and Crosby for most of the evening. A couple bad turnovers but he is holding his own...

Last edited by FlapJackKing: 04-17-2010 at 09:08 AM.
FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 09:05 AM
FlapJackKing
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
Not even close.

BTW, Pens ROAD record .... might want to look at that. They have handled SBP before.
Fair enough but if you look at our home/away record you will see we are an average road team and are much, much tougher at home. The Pens better find another level because you know the Sens will...

FlapJackKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 09:06 AM
MatthewT

Last night I was pretty bummed about the game, but this morning I am glad we are taking a split from the igloo. We need to come out flying in game 3 and I hope the fans will be great. For some reason I always find we skate better at home so I am relying on that

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 10:09 AM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
Not even close.

Yup, and while your looking at your road record, take a glance at OUR road record. We suck on the road, period. We're 5th place because we step it up at home. Cant wait for games 3 and 4 Thanks for throwing us game 1.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 11:04 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
The Sutton hit was an amazing, clean hit, no issues with it from that perspective. That being said, that was a ******* stupid hit to make on the road. All you're doing is getting the fans riled up and into the game. Finish your hits and play physical, but save the massive hits for home ice, where our own fans can get pumped up from it. Up to that point the game was pretty even, but after that Pittsburgh took over. On the road you're supposed to take the crowd out of it, not rile them up.

Volchenkov and Neil never make those kinds of hits on the road, they play hard but they never even attempt them, they save those hits for home ice.

On the bright side, we're doing a fantastic job of getting in Malkin's face and getting him off his game, we just need to find an answer to Crosby.
Ummm I have no idea how its a stupid hit to make on the road? Regardless if your playing at home or on the road a hit is a hit is a hit and you have to make it when the opportunity is there. Thats what hockey is about!

Especially if one of the reasons that your an affective player and an asset to the team is by your physicality then why would you let up on the hit? I am more surprised that Sutton hasnt been throwing his weight around as much as he did in both games, if he did those hits every single series I think they Pens would be scared ****less entering our zone with Sutton there. Even yesterday when a few Pens forwards were dumping and chasing the puck into our zone they would let up because they saw Sutton coming and that would lead to puck possession in our favor.

So im not sure how creating a massive hit in the oppositions barn would be stupid, I rather we take the big hit and stir up the fans as apposed to they giving us the hit and stirring up their own fans. This is the playoffs man anything goesssss

And Neil and Volchie DO make huge hits away from SBP so I dont know what your talking about

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2010, 12:57 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
If you look at it positivley, we handled the defending Stanley Cup champs quite well on their HOME ice. This last game, they threw EVERYTHING they had at us, and only mustered up TWO goals! We played solidly defensivley, the offense needs to get rolling, though.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote